[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many games do you finish? I have a huge problem with starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Facepalm11.png (187KB, 557x313px) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm11.png
187KB, 557x313px
How many games do you finish? I have a huge problem with starting to play a shitload of games and quitting at about the halfway point or later. Forcing myself doesn't seem to work since longer games just lose their appeal completely.
>>
Maybe you should start small and work your way up to longer games. Try playing through some arcade games until you're ready for RPGs.
>>
>>3960623
Kagami > Konata
Shit, don't even get me started on RPGs, I think I've finished like a handful from the dozens I've started.
>>
>>3960631
I was really little when I watched Lucky Star while it was still airing in japan, so I'm not sure if that's true. All of those otaku terms went right over my head so I still need to re-watch the show. But I haven't because I've been meaning to draw more.

Say, you wouldn't happen to have something else in your life that might be affecting your backlog-finishing skills too, do you?
>>
File: Yutaka.gif (18KB, 250x271px) Image search: [Google]
Yutaka.gif
18KB, 250x271px
>>3960616
I give myself a way out in that I play a lot of games that don't really end

but I do totally get what you mean

I made myself a promise of not buying any more sega carts until I'd beaten the ones I have at least once. Broken it hard already. They were so cheap! Some scalper fuck woulda grabbed them and charged 50 bux a pop!

I find myself finishing most FPS's and adventure games I play. Platformers not so much. RPG's make me want someone to co-pilot, even though they're supposed to be very much single player experiences
>>
>>3960637
LS gets much better when you're more familiar with anime. I've rewatched it a couple of times and it kills me every time. Recently, just watching Gundam shows made me figure out several jokes scattered in LS.
There seems to be a common opinion that it introduced cancerous slice-of-life shows, but I think it's hilarious and superior to the rest I've watched.
>>
File: 1418919972808.gif (1MB, 510x516px) Image search: [Google]
1418919972808.gif
1MB, 510x516px
>>3960684
Now when I think Slice-of-life I think Azumanga, not Lucky Star. Also yeah, Gundam's an otaku staple.

But I digress, this ain't /a/. Let's focus on your problem. I would like to discuss lucky star s'more but I like /vr/ a lot and don't think it deserves off-topic conversations.
>>
Personally I just play whatever I feel like, drop them whenever I feel like, and play as many games simultaneously as I feel like. Placing restrictions on yourself ends up making the whole process not enjoyable as you're just praying for the game you're currently playing to finish already so you can move on to the next, where you will probably do the same as well.

It's been a surprisingly productive year for my backlog, even if some games were abandoned along the way.
>>
I play the game without really putting effort in it, and when I either finish it or can't get further (without trying) I go on to the next game
>>
>>3960616
Maybe you need to re-evaluate why you think you should beat anything you start. You will never have enough time to play every game out there. You very likely won't even have enough time to play everything out there that you want to.

So if you get half way through a game and find playing it has gone from being fun to a chore, why would you put more time into it? There's no virtue in wasting precious time just so you can say you beat a game that you didn't even really like.
>>
Lol, I don't play games. I only shit post.
>>
>>3960616
>I have ADHD
Then don't play longer games.
>>
>>3960616

What's the rush?
>>
>>3960616
Not many games starting with fifth gen. When I finish a game that means it's something truly special. One thing I hate doing which happens a lot is stopping a game and then loading up that save like a year later and it turns out I was only a half hour away from finishing it.
>>
>>3960616
I finish them if I am able to and if I find them enjoyable.

A lot of nes games I will get to the final boss and then stop playing. I wasn't like this as a kid, but once I beat a game now I have a difficult time wanting to ever play through it again unless there is some incentive or it's one of my all-time favorites. Stopping at the final boss and picking up again after a year or so (once it sort of "feels" new again) has really helped extend the replayability for me.
>>
I finish most of my games. But I'm a very patient person.
>>
If you lose interest in the games you play it's probably because you don't like these games. Remember that playing games must be FUN and you should have a GOOD TIME playing games. It's ok if you find this masterpiece that everyone love boring, just don't play it, as long as you give it its chance.
>>
The problem with me and retro games is the difficulty spikes. Yeah, I know. I'm a casual scrub but just goddamn. Take for example a game I'm trying to beat right now, Donkey Kong Country. The first world was way too easy, the second world was a mixture of levels that were JUST right (Bouncy Bonanza, Millstone Mayhem) and two bullshit levels (Stop & Go and Minecart Carnage if we don't count the shortcut) and then World 3 comes along and kicks the shit out of me. Seriously, I got a game over from Tree Top Town even though I had a dozen lives when I started it.

Having to grind lives for a good half hour to pass a bullshit level or try to beat that bullshit level for two hours getting progressively more pissed off as it goes on just isn't fun to me. Usually I quit these games out of sheer frustration because there's always some level with a ton of bullshit from offscreen that's impossible to pass without playing it over and over again to memorize each and every last obstacle. It just doesn't feel fair. Super Mario World was just the right difficulty for me, maybe a bit too easy but my save file was lost when my external harddrive broke down and I was on the sixth castle so I don't feel like doing it all over again.
>>
I did this with Lost Odyssey recently.

I was enjoying it.. Then we did this haunted house thing, and this village was really stupid.. Next thing I know I'm changing discs and the game is really uninteresting.

Let's have Yang or whatever his name is join up with the blonde knight dude already, jeez. Bad pacing, after the whole mother dying thing, I was about ready to check out.
>>
>>3960616
>How many games do you finish?
Uh, all of them? Why would I buy a game I have no intention of playing?

>Forcing myself doesn't seem to work since longer games just lose their appeal completely.
Then stop buying lengthy games.

GameFAQs' database lets users rate the relative length of games, so that could give you a general idea of how many hours a given game is going to require. (But to be fair, those ratings can be completely arbitrary at times.)

I don't like games that are padded out with long cutscenes every few minutes in, so I can at least relate to that part of your post. As far as my personal collection goes, I don't tend to buy very many JRPGs for that reason. Anything that's open-world is most likely going to be more flexible on the number of hours needed to complete it.
>>
>>3963975
>GameFAQs' database lets users rate the relative length of games
I use How Long To Beat for this.

Quick google search "hltb [game name]"
>>
>>3963968
At least don't use save states
>>
>>3965276
Should say: at least you don't use save states
>>
>>3960616
>>3961000

To add to this, a lot of games are not designed to be finished by most people. This is especially true these days when you can just go look up the ending to any game on youtube. I see tons of games that have their length padded out artificially by developers repeating stages, putting the same challenges in but with slightly higher difficulty, adding increasingly long flavor text to things that you need to read to progress, etc.

If I were you OP I would think about where this pressure to force yourself to "finish a game" comes from and if it's reasonable or not. Even though the marketing would like to have you believe otherwise, games are not a cohesive unit of enjoyment, they are flawed commercial products designed by people with jobs and bosses putting pressure on them, neither of which they probably like all that much.
>>
>>3960616
I'm the exact same way. There gets to be a point where you realize you've been doing the exact same thing hours on end with different scenery.
>>
>>3962529
>Finding games repetitive after 8 hours means you have ADHD

No it just means you're not autistic
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.