[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGH ul1PrXCE Why have I nev

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: Bleem.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bleem.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHul1PrXCE

Why have I never heard of this before? This is crazy, a commercially released Playstation emulator that was turned into an actual console by Apple? Did anyone here own one?
>>
>>3960518
You may have your facts wrong.
>>
>>3960518
Connectix made a Playstation emulator for PPC Macs. Bleem was completely different. These were both software only. Apple released a failed PPC console called Pipin. It would have choked trying to run the Connectix software.
>>
>>3960545
I loved VGS, back when shit like P64 and ePSXe were unbearably slow and broken.
>>
>>3960518
the last official release of bleem still remains uncracked and requires the original CD.
>>
>>3960518
>Did anyone here own one?
It was possible to download a trial version, and there was a crack floating around.

It was big news back then on emulation websites.
Most console emulators were slow and inaccurate, then you have this company claiming they can run Playstation games on an average PC.

In reality most games ran like shit or didn't run at all.

Also, that Sony lawsuit:
https://www.zophar.net/news-archive/bleem...-rip-3345.html
>>
>>3960610
Gran Turismo runs great on it.
>>
File: 8675309.jpg (86KB, 721x680px) Image search: [Google]
8675309.jpg
86KB, 721x680px
Thanks for watching
>>
>>3960518
Saw Bleem at a thrift store, I used VGS back in the day to play CTR. Shit worked yo.
>>
>>3960610
I found a compatibility list.
https://www.scribd.com/document/346885902/bleem-compatibility-list
>>
>>3960610
Version 1.5 is cracked, but not 1.6.
>>
>>3960518
I used to have a retail copy of Bleem that I got off a friend that was having a clearout of old PC stuff. I could never get it to run, it always gave an error message about a missing file. Didn't bother me as I already had a PS2 to play my PSX games on.
>>
File: 80465874.png (6KB, 264x235px) Image search: [Google]
80465874.png
6KB, 264x235px
>>3960628
This thread would be deleted if Bleem! itself wasn't such a good discussion topic.
>>
>>3960518
This does bring back some memories. Like how i "amazed" a friend who did not understand anything about emulation. By playing GT on the PC.
>>
>>3960518
You were basically buying this with single game it worked for so no, nobody bought it.
>>
File: church lady.jpg (22KB, 335x316px) Image search: [Google]
church lady.jpg
22KB, 335x316px
>>3960518
Could it be...Underage?
>>
>>3960518
I have all three bleemcast discs unopened.
>>
>>3960518
>Why have I never heard of this before?

Because you might be fucking underage? It was amazing back then. Everyone in my class had a Playstation. I had always been a PC kid so of course I had a PC. Burned pirated CDs were also a common thing. So I would get Playstation games from classmates. I just had the problem that I didn't own a controller back then and playing Playstation games with a keyboard is a nightmare.
I remember how I was setting up the keys and the only game I had at that moment was Resident Evil 2. Being right attacked by zombies when you haven't figured out the controls yet is just awful. Discworld 2 ran pretty smoothly but it was also weird to play a point and click adventure with your keyboard when you are sitting right in front of a PC - the perfect machine for point and click adventures. Anyways I had some fun time with bleem and other games I was given. Imagine this would still be possible nowadays or had been possible with other future machines like say Dreamcast back then or what not.
>>
>>3960518
Hows it like to be 16?
>>
>>3960518
I remember playing the leaked Bleamcast, loading up Armored Core, and being amazed at how great it looked. then I tried playing it and it was unplayable because Dreamcast has 3 less buttons and 1 less stick than the PS1 and it couldn't save PS1 game data
>>
I wonder if this thing influenced Sony into going with obtuse CPUs architectures on the PS2 and PS3 designs, as in to make them harder to emulate.
>>
>>3962421
He'll tell you in a few years. lol
>>
>>3962404
Resident Evil 2 was on PC, why in the world would you emulate it.
>>
>>3960518
I had a No-CD cracked copy of version 1.2 that I once upon a time downloaded from some obscure warez site that has long since died off. It was impressive for it's time. Compatibility was total shit, many games like Tekken 2 for example were completely unplayable. Some games, like Mortal Kombat 4 ran, but had issues that hurt the experience. To it's credit, what few games did run on Bleem!, ran great, Tekken 1 and 3 were allright on it.

As I recall, the whole thing was written in assembly, and the people who cracked it called it a programming masterpiece. One of the guys behind Bleem! was supposedly in his time some hot shot in the Amiga scene. Now check this: Your typical desktop PC of the era usually had a 500 Mhz SINGLE CORE processor that had to fully emulate the Playstation on top of also running the PC's operating system, usually Windows 98 back then. With this in mind, it was fucking mindblowing that the games that actually ran on it usually had close to perfect 60 FPS frame rates. With such ancient hardware, it was just crazy.

Of course, Sony kept harassing them in court and the Bleem!-team finally ran out of money in 2001. I still remember the day I logged on to the Bleem! website, only to find just the Game Over-notification, and everything else taken down. I was pretty bummed out on that day, but soon enough, freeware projects like ePSXe and PCSX followed, and eventually surpassed Bleem!.

Their mistake was to ask money for it, I'm pretty sure that drew Sony's ire the most. And the port they made for the Dreamcast was definitely a bad move, they were wasting their already dwindling resources to support a platform that was already dying.
>>
>>3962989
Ultra HLE was equally as impressive for the time.
>>
>>3962995
Oh, absolutely.

>>3960545
The Connectix Virtual Gamestation was fucking Awesome with a capital A. The final version 1.4 had a damn near perfect compatibility. With the exception of Parasite Eve 2, it played nearly everything that I threw at it, with perfect framerate. This on early 2000 PC hardware. My very 1st time of beating Resident Evil Survivor was actually on the VGS, because by that time I had lost my Playstation to a CD drive failure. And Survivor ran perfectly. Some load times were pretty long, I'm guessing the emu had to deal with the game's copy protection scheme somehow, and it pulled trough. I was able to complete Survivor from start to finish, and overall it was the perfect experience technically, even if the game itself turned out to be rather poor.

The last I heard, Sony bought out the VGS brand and assets from Connectix, probably just to make the whole thing go away, because VGS was just scary in how efficient it was. It actually turned your desktop into an honest to God Playstation. Capcom survival horror games, like Resident Evil and Dino Crisis for example were just perfect on it. Rumor has it that the Playstation 3 is using code from the VGS to power it's own PS1 emulator.
>>
>>3963041
Huh, I have a iMac G3 with a 400mhz processor, so I might load it up and see how it goes.

Can it load isos, or do I need a disc?
>>
>>3963057
You'll need real, commercial discs. ISO loading is not supported natively, although the Win95 PC version was able to accept ISOs that were mounted with Daemon Tools. Not sure how it works on Macs, I only ever used the Windows port.
>>
>>3963061
Hmm, so a burned disk won't work?

I never actually owned a Playstation, so I have no disks.
>>
>>3963068
Burned disks might work, but I never tested them myself. Supposedly, the emu has some routine that blocks them, but of course, those were immediately cracked at the time. You'll just have to experiment and read about it.
>>
>>3963076
Cool, once I get through with finals week I'll start trying to get VGS to run without actual disks.

If this thread is still up I'll report back.
>>
>>3962734
What's more interesting is the video raised a good point about Sony using the technology to create Pops for PSone Classics.
>>
>>3963089
Nothing immoral about stealing from thieves.
>>
>>3960843
This is only true for Dreamcast. PC version has much better compatibility
>>
>>3960518
because you are 12
>>
>>3960518
>Why have I never heard of this before?

Because you need to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
This is probably the best video this guy has actually done, pretty sure he didn't just use wikipedia for it. I couldn't believe how long the whole saga went on for.

I'm surprised bleem! wasn't actually stomped out in courts. I wonder if that was a win for emulation since that precedent could have made it easier for big console makers to go after any and all emulation.
>>
>>3963068

They do. All I played were burned discs.

>>3962821
Because I didn't buy it and I had no PC friends, only console friends so that was my only chance of getting my hands on RE2. Sucks if you are the "rich" kid that got money for a PC but no money for games afterwards. All the Playstation kids were pirating like mad though. Might be a common Euro thing to do though.
>>
>>3963057
You'll be blown away with how well it runs on that iMac. I used to do the same on a similar rig and it was fucking wild at the time.
>>
File: iffy a cute 01.jpg (44KB, 362x500px) Image search: [Google]
iffy a cute 01.jpg
44KB, 362x500px
>>3960518
>this guy
Even if his videos where written in a way not designed for a retard his voice is still so unbelivably grating.
KYS.
>>
>>3964421
Geeze sorry I didn't realise he was so reviled. I clicked it because I wanted something to watch while grinding. Fuck me for trying learn something new right? I must be an underage newfag... Probably has nothing to do with the fact I'm Australia and had a N64 instead of a PS when I was 10.
>>
>>3965189
that puts you into the perfect group to emulate a system you didn't own at the time, the ps1.
>>
>>3965220
Yeah I should really get around to it but I keep forgetting. We did have a PS2 but the only PS1 game we had was FFVIII. I do want to play the Crash Bandicoot series but it's getting remastered so eh
>>
>>3965189
Ignore the faggots, Gaming Historian is one of the few /vr/-related e-celebs worth watching
>>
>>3965302
I'm more taken aback by being called underage because I haven't heard of something before, as though in the process of aging it was inevitable I would learn about third party commercial emulation software.
>>
>>3965310
But that's exactly what occurred.
You learned of bleem through aging, just a bit later than most.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.