[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long you guys think physical media will last before it all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

File: futureofdiscbasedvidya.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
futureofdiscbasedvidya.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
how long you guys think physical media will last before it all starts to rot away?

Im scared for my Dreamcast and Sega CD games
>>
This is why i collect cartridge only
>>
>>3954314
Vacuum seal everything, and put it in a cool, dark dry place. It will outlive you.
>>
>>3954314
it will take decades if you take care of your shit but you need to realize that nothing lasts forever
>>
>>3954414

Nooo, my Code Veronica CD
>>
>>3954414
except what you post online :^)
>>
>>3954314
I have CDs older than you. I'm not worried.

>>3954362
This is why I don't store my shit in the sewer.
>>
>>3954591
>don't store my shit in the sewer
Hey everyone this guy poops in his cabinets or somethign
>>
Where do you people store your stuff safely? I have my all my games tucked away in a closet
>>
>>3954595
refrigerator
>>
>>3954595
mum's fanny
>>
>>3954314
CDs were invented only a short time before they were used as a video game media format, so we really don't know much about longevity of the CDs. The components that make up a CD should last 150+ years easily, in humidity and temperature controlled environments.

For cartridges. The fact that we have a few relics from the 60's of similar components (mainly NASA parts in museums) that still work, shows carts could potentially last 50-60 years easy in harsh situations. The issue is components in carts that are made to last short term (batteries for example). Still, if you replace those properly I bet we could have carts lasting hundreds of years.
>>
>>3955029
It must be nice being able to sound like you know what you're saying while knowing fuck all.
>>
Just about all my SegaCD games are starting to look like this
>>
>>3954314
How long your physical media lasts depends on what condition you obtained it in and how well you take care of it from there.

You can easily destroy your entire collection right now by pouring gasoline on it and setting it on fire.

Or you can keep it in a dry indoor location at room-temperature environment where your collection will outlive you if handled correctly. How much longer it lasts after that depends on how well your inheritors take care of it.
>>
>>3954593
I poop on your moms chest. She's into that sort of stuff.

>>3954595
I've had CDs just sitting on a shelf since the mid 80's and they're fine. Most of my vidya stuff is in boxes in cabinets. I guess the latter will probably last 500 years instead of 300 or something.
>>
>>3955091

Pics pls
>>
>>3955029
>The components that make up a CD should last 150+ years easily

That's a long time debunked myth I'm afraid anon. There's research proving that cds will starting having severe issues after 20 to 30 years or so.
>>
>>3954314

In CDs, the reflective layer is immediately beneath a thin protective layer of lacquer, and is also exposed at the edge of the disc. The lacquer protecting the edge of an optical disc can usually be seen without magnification. It is rarely uniformly thick; thickness variations are usually visible. The reflective layer is typically aluminium, which reacts easily with several commonly encountered chemicals such as oxygen, sulphur, and certain ions carried by condensed water. In ordinary use, a surface layer of aluminium oxide is formed very quickly when an aluminium surface is exposed to the atmosphere; it serves as passivation for the bulk aluminium with regard to many, but not all, contaminants.

As long as the aluminum layer is not exposed to the elements and CD's stored in a dry cool place they should outlive you.
>>
>>3955876
I have a buttload of 30 year old CDs that say your "research" is full of shit kiddo.
>>
>>3955876
>There's research proving that cds will starting having severe issues after 20 to 30 years or so.
source: your ass
CD as a medium is already 35 year old and only 1 deffective batch of philips-made discs from the early 90s have been known to degrade under normal condition.
>>
File: ---.png (137KB, 292x220px) Image search: [Google]
---.png
137KB, 292x220px
>>3954314
Your body will rot before your games. Don't think about it.
>>
File: 1488743452147.png (714KB, 2000x1451px) Image search: [Google]
1488743452147.png
714KB, 2000x1451px
>>3955172
>I poop on your moms chest. She's into that sort of stuff.
>>
>>3955887
He might be thinking cd-r's which have organic dyes.
>>
>>3955876
I have a CD from 1985 issued by a then small independent label that works perfectly. Disc rot is a meme. Just keep your shit out of sunlight.
>>
>>3954314

...That disc either has a severe manufacturing defect or was subjected to an extremely caustic solvent.

Bitrot can occur, but only in a highly specific climate with select micro-organisms present. You have a greater probability of dying from malaria than getting all sevens on the circumstances needed.
>>
If you take proper care of your stuff it will last longer than you. Disc based media is more likely to get ruined because it's more exposed but that has nothing to do with "disc rot". I've had a couple cartridges fail on me and stop working, but they're second hand, anything could have happened to them in the past. Some media is bound to fail due to maufacturing errors or something like that, but it's a very small amount.
>>
>>3955998
>Disc rot is a meme.

Saying "disc rot is a meme" is a meme in itself Disc rot happens. It even happens to CiB games that have never been opened. (But that's more of an issue with poor manufacturing standards.)

The veneer that protects data isn't designed to last forever. Once it's compromised, disc rot will follow.
>>
>>3956059
>but that has nothing to do with "disc rot"

Misleading semantics. The disc veneer does naturally wear down over time, unless you place the disc in a vacuum seal and never touch it. This phenomenon is the definition of "disc rot."
>>
>>3956092
>>3956094

The veneer will outlast you both.
>>
>>3956096
>The veneer will outlast you both.
>(citation needed)

There hasn't been any definitive research to back up this claim. Meanwhile, anecdotal evidence does show that people have witnessed the occurrence of disc rot.

You can keep lying to try and shield yourself from the inevitable demise of your games, but it's going to happen no matter how much you twist words and spin facts. If you want to be stubborn and not make backups, that's your problem.
>>
>>3956114
It is going to happen. Nothing lasts forever. But is it something we should be worried about? Is it really a widespread phenomena or just a rare occurrance?
>>
Try to avoid touching the actual disc surface and keep it clean like you've been told to do for 30 years now. Keep them in their cases with their paper covers to absorb and evaporate minor changes in humidity and keep them in a moderate environment, not too damp and definitely not hot. That's about it - they'll be fine other than a very small percentage of early ones with manufacturing defects actually trapped under the plastic.
>>
My Jet Grind Radio disc has a tiny spot under where it says "dreamcast". It's happened to other people as well.
>>
>>3956114
>anecdotal """"""""""evidence""""""""""""
There's no such thing as anecdotal evidences.
There are defective discs and badly kept discs, but the vast majority of CDs are still okay more than 20 years later (30 for some already).
It's like using old rusty cars to try to prove that you souldn't buy a 70s car cause "they're going to disappear anyway" when it could probably last for decades (or even more than a century) when kept properly.
>>
Optical media will rot. By the time you reach old age, all those disc games will be unplayable. You will only be able to play those games by pirating and only by pirating not using a motor, because motors and lasers get fucked over time as well. Even then you have to hope the fan stays working.

Cartridge games and consoles decently looked after will outlast us all, perhaps requiring such advanced treatments as cleaning with q-tips and rubbing alcohol once every 20 years or so.
>>
>>3955993
Then he's even more retarded because the cheap ones are pretty much guaranteed to go bad in a fraction of that time.
>>
>>3954510
Even data bits expire eventually...
>>
>>3955887
>>3955905
Actually I'm 33 and I do own several rotten cds, even though they were properly kept and handled. There's much research upon disc rot by several people, both individuals and even organizations.
https://www.loc.gov/preservation/scientists/projects/cd_longevity.html
I'm aware that /vr/ is also heavy in virgin hipster neckbeards, so as you understand I can't seriously debate with you folks.
>>3955998
I have Phantom of the opera from the mid eighties, and it got rotten, even though we never mishandled it anon. That issue is not rare at all.
>>
>>3956549
>posts a link
>don't even read it
The research just says what everyone else said in this thread : already deffective discs are more eager to have problems, storing them in harsh conditions decrease their life's expectancy and that statisticaly 70% of the discs will have a life expectency of more than 100 years.
>Phantom of the opera
Old Polydor CDs are known to be pretty bad disks.
>>
>>3956549
So I have CDs older than you. Sweet. Not only are my CDs older but apparently wiser.
>https://www.loc.gov/preservation/scientists/projects/cd_longevity.html
>Statistical analysis of the EOL data obtained at accelerated conditions showed that ~ 70% of discs in the test population had an estimated longevity exceeding 100 years.
Might want to learn to read before posting kiddo.
>>
>>3956258

You are full of shit and better be trolling.
>>
>>3956265

Azo discs, bitch.
>>
>this triggers /vr/
>>
>>3957134
>Azo discs
No. Those are pretty expensive and allegedly good for 100 years.
>>
>>3957097
Lol, I can actually hear his chins quivering.
>>
Why not just use DVDisaster to make an ECC file of every disk you want to keep? Easier than backup isos.
>>
>>3954595
I rent a storage unit that I use to store them and record my Youtube videos.
>>
>>3957527

I have about 400. What now?
>>
>>3957542
>lol they can actually hear my anus aching
>>
>>3957895
You have 400 whats? In what what is you having 400 anythings relevant to this thread?
>>
>>3957902

It proves you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, for one.
>>
>guise I'm worried my CD games won't last
>pops it out of a jewel case, places it in system, and plays it

If this is something you care about and you're not using backups, you're an idiot, none of those discs are going last anything like your lifetime, and this entire thread is moot.
>>
>>3957932

Once again, there is no reason why the longevity of pressed discs should not last a lifetime.

Please do some research before burbling like a retard.
>>
>>3957934
Yes, I'm sure cheeto dust, ballsweat, dried cum, and normal wear is perfectly fine for CD's.
>>
>>3957939

>projecting this hard

Just because you treat your media like complete garbage don't assume the rest of us do too.
>>
>>3957885
You record youtube videos in a storage unit?
>>
>>3954362
Enjoy having to replace the save battery.
>>
>>3957885

Hi Clint.
>>
>>3954314

Nothing lasts forever. Become one with loss.
>>
>>3959174

...And then there's this approach.
>>
>>3958010
wow. a one minute solder job. how scary.
>>
>>3959174
Buckly pls
>>
>>3955968
>NiggaYouReallyExpectMeToReadAllThatShitByYou.jpeg
>>
>>3957908
I don't know what you're talking about champ. You have 400 of something that's supposed to mean something? 400 whats? 400 CDRs? Are you serious kiddo?
>>
>>3954314
Sega CD and Dreamcast will not last as long as PS1 onwards.

They used really shitty quality discs and they just suffer from disc rot.
>>
>>3959819
I think you mean Sega CD and Saturn.

Don't higher density discs like DVDs become corrupted more easily than lower density ones though? Not sure if that plays a role or not.
>>
>>3954314

Time didn't do that. That's physical damage.

Why are you worried about "losing" games when every .iso image for both systems are available pretty much anywhere?

Use a burned copy, keep your original in the case.
>>
>>3961071

>buys games
>doesnt even play them

why even bother then
>>
>>3955883
>As long as the aluminum layer is not exposed to the elements and CD's stored in a dry cool place they should outlive you.
Shut up. This is our chance to scare off the collectorfags.
>>
>>3961487
>its ok for me to have games
>but not other people
>>
Found this article and apparently even if you store your stuff safely this shit is already happening, luckily the archivists and emulation will keep the games alive forever

https://www.google.fi/amp/tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/amp/
>>
>>3961108
But he does play them. Playing a burned copy is better than emulating like you. Unlike the original ROM you downloaded an original game is worth something Needlessly putting it at risk to be damaged is retarded. And over the top keks for being butthurt we don't open our sealed copies because some kid on the internet is triggered.
>>
>>3962454

I guess theres different types of collectors, some like to preserve the originals and some just want to play the real thing
>>
>>3963201
Well there's different types of collectors and there's different types of autists. There's also tards who can't solder a few wires so exclusively play PS1 thrift store finds. There's plenty of reasons to use original discs. It's just that none of them don't involve a mental of financial disorder.
>>
>>3954314
It's a good thing that it's shit easy to write discs, meaning at least that we'll always be able to play burnt games on real hardware. As for the originals... well I'm not sure if disc rot is really that big an issue.
>>
>>3956865
>>3957097
So there's a good 30% which could have issues, but apparently that's not a real problem according to you fellows.
Well I can't help it, you're morons.
>>
File: Horror Tour 3 front cover.jpg (438KB, 794x1204px) Image search: [Google]
Horror Tour 3 front cover.jpg
438KB, 794x1204px
>there are obscure games that aren't ripped yet
>the only copies left are rotting and dying as we speak, and we may never be able to play them

It fucking hurts.
>>
>>3964805
>the only copies left will are rotting and dying as we speak, and we may never be able to play them

I have 100+ CDs pressed at the dawn of CD (early 80's). Every one of them plays perfectly. No rot. Rot is a much rarer phenomenon than this thread is trying to make out. Especially on CD.
>>
>>3959807

I have over 400 Azo discs. So they are not that expensive. Thus, you are talking out your ass.
>>
>>3959832

DVDs use an entirely different manufacturing process.
>>
>>3964816

Only a few very specific types of tropical fungus or mold are able to pull it off, as I recall. And they don't do well at anything near normal indoor conditions even in the tropics.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.