[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The appeal of shooting games, for most, is the opportunity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
>The appeal of shooting games, for most, is the opportunity to prove you are more skilled than the opponent.

That's elitist and it stops the community from growing any larger.
>>
counter-strike is one of the biggest e-sports of all time and its competitive or 'elitist' nature is what keeps the community thriving
>>
Nice meme thread but Tribes 1 and 2 were the shit so we should just talk about them.
>>
>>3954114
this was my map nigga
>>
>>3954114

There are 4 element types in games that appeal to different players

exploration
achievement
pvp
content/story

pvp is far and away the most popular.
>>
Are you actually suggesting that competition in a game is something that deters growth? lol.

You are correct in specific contexts, such as MOBAs, where initial involvement almost guarantees failure due to a lack of knowledge(item trees, character/ability/item choice based on team picks and the progression in the game), so many players never get past that initial grind of learning all of the bullshit so that they can actually play at the skill level they are actually at if it were not for all of the stat based disadvantages.

But an FPS? Particularly Arena shooters where there's no RPG systems and everyone is technically on an even level? Where balance is no concern because there are no classes and no limits on weapon choice? Get the fuck out of here, these games live because of the competition, because they feel fair enough for a player to desire self improvement so they can reach the level of those superior to them.

This is why online gaming exists, aside from communities in MMOs. And those are for no life losers who can't learn to adapt.
>>
>>3954168
Oh yea, I forgot to add the relatively recent trend of gambling. This is basically a means to a long known trend, which is showing off loot. The only difference is that you are given it more easily with much lower odds, thus making it more addicting. Not to mention, there's a fucking in game(or in platform) economy based on real world currency now. At least as far as Steam goes.

>>3954139
I guess this would count as a part of the "Achievement" category. Not a bad list, anon.
>>
>>3954114
>That's elitist

No elitist would be shitting all over anyone for some incredibly arbitrary reason or instead of helping a new player out you just berate them.
>>
>FPS
>one of the most popular genres of video games
>"stops the community from growing any larger"
Are you brain damaged? Things with a high barrier of entry like RTS and fighting games are small because the need to learn all of the mechanics, anyone can figure out how to play an FPS.
>>
http://culture.vg/features/art-theory/why-versus-multiplayer-games-are-worse-games-than-jrpgs.html

'The bottom line is that the "competitive" player does NOT want challenge, he wants the OPPOSITE of challenge: he wants to "WIN"; and moreover, he wants to win specifically against a HOMO SAPIENS opponent, NOT because the homo sapiens is a better or a more unpredictable opponent (for he isn't), but because unlike the AI bots, he is the only kind of opponent that CAN FEEL SAD. That is what the "competitive" player's fixation with "winning" (i.e. with the game over screen) betrays: the "competitive" player does not draw his enjoyment so much from his interaction with the game world, but from FORCING A PARTICULAR FRAME OF MIND ON HIS OPPONENT: more specifically the depressive emotion of SADNESS. And thus we arrive at the definition of the "competitive" player:'
>>
>>3954139
>according to some shit that some person made up, this is how it works, and I wholeheartedly believe things I read without questioning them
>>
>all these people responding to a meme thread
>>3953179
Just report the spam and move on.
>>
>>3954139
YOUR FORGOT SEX APPEAL
>>
>>3954114
> That's elitist and it stops the community from growing any larger.

This is more than likely a bait thread but if it is not then I all have to say to you is: "Git gud u skrub"
>>
What if the appeal for me is shooting people in the fucking face without a jail sentence being involved?

Where is my special pigeon-hole.
>>
>>3954114
Shooter games are a billion dollar industry. There is no worry about elitism.
>>
>>3954204
Name a co-op or singleplayer game with as many players still playing it as AoE2 or Counter Strike.
>>
>>3954114
that is the reasoning that caused modern FPS to degrade from Quake to Halo and from there to COD

And it all could've easily been fixxed with games providing at least some incentive for the consolists to "git gud"
>>
>>3954184
Wow, this could not have been any more wrong than that.

I'm not an FPS player, but a fighting game player.

Lifelong Guilty Gear fan, I can roll any bot on maximum difficulty into the ground - that's just boring to me. So when I encounter a stronger opponent online, I do not back down from the challenge if he defeats me once or twice - instead I fight with them as much as I can, trying to learn how they work, their patterns and their combos - I rarely looked up any guides actually, learning most effective strategies from my opponents - and when I figured them out, when I saw through their patterns and managed to win against them consistently, overcoming the challenge and becoming better - that is the best feeling any game actually ever gave me. This is why I play fighting games.

I figure that would be the same for any other form of competitive play.
>>
>>3954462
It is the same and is why every Quake game (aside from maybe 4) still has dedicated communities playing them.
>>
>>3954114
>This is the one thread still up.

I love you so much /vr/
>>
>>3954184
As a long, long time fighting games enthusiast I think you're way off base. Of course winning is nice, but winning against someone who sucks is boring and mostly just feels like a waste. What you want is a good fight with someone close to or optimally better than you so you can learn. That's when it's really fun.
>>
>>3954465
"Recent developments in the field of artificial intelligence have led to experimental AI bots in modded versions of games like Quake that behave in a more human-like fashion than actual humans. That is, players facing these bots tend to identify them as humans more often than they do so when playing against real humans. What this means in the long term is that there will come a time when a developer will be able to populate an entire game's leaderboard with bots, with no one being able to tell the difference — at least not in-game (as opposed to in chat lobbies, etc.) Does anyone care to bet on what the reaction of the "competitive" players will be to this development? Will any of them consent to taking part in a leaderboard largely populated by bots? On the contrary, there will be a drive to purge the bots from leaderboards, and verification measures to ensure that no developer can cheat on this score, and that only human players can be allowed. There will be, at the very least, human-exclusive leaderboards, and all the tournaments and prizes will be reserved specifically for them.
Never mind that one of the aspies' chief arguments against bots is that the unpredictability and intelligence of humans provide for superior matchups. Well, retards, these bots will be scientifically demonstrated to be MORE unpredictable and MORE intelligent than humans, so if this hogwash you are peddling were genuine and not merely a shitty excuse, YOU WOULD COMPLETELY SWEAR OFF PLAYING AGAINST HUMANS WHEN THEY ARRIVE. And yet the aspies will doubtlessly do the exact opposite of this."
>>
>>3954556
Seek help, dude.
>>
>>3954556
Nice pasta. Too bad this has been long since proven false tho
>>
>>3954449

The choice was to either keep using clunky lock on systems or instead try to emulate KB&M in a shitty way using twin sticks and autoaim while simplifying and slowing down the game in general. Guess which option won out.
>>
>>3954628
The problem is oversimplifying.

Or introducing a new type of controller.
>>
>>3954184
Shitty attempt at crowd psychology. Get your undergrad theories outta here, buddy.
>>
>>3954184
Stop posting icycalm.
>>
>>3954184
>he didn't play the nightmare tribes 2 bots in rabbit/control/deathmatch until he could own them.

Fucking surrounded by scrubs. The only reason I'm in this thread is to bump a tribes op.
>>
>>3954716
>>3954184
>>3954712

I've never seen any person being so completely wrong about so many things.
>>
I wonder if OP is just one of those faggots who just doesn't know how to start a discussion without shitposting. Maybe he just wanted to talk about tribes, and this is all he knows to do?
>>
>That's elitist and it stops the community from growing any larger.

The appeal is the same reason for any sport in the entire world.
>>
>one of those faggots who just sat on the bleachers in gym class makes his own thread.

Dude just come out and say you're a little bitch don't try to justify it
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.