[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Interested in the turbografx since it's pretty foreign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 19

File: TurboDuoConsole.jpg (19KB, 640x246px) Image search: [Google]
TurboDuoConsole.jpg
19KB, 640x246px
>Interested in the turbografx since it's pretty foreign to my childhood
>Those fucking game prices

Is this mess even worth getting into?
>>
It's a great little system, but I sure as shit wouldn't pay the prices I see on ebay. Just emulate.
>>
>>3947698
Not really. Can't understand why you'd buy an old console like that anyway, the experiences are not contained in the plastic and metal. Emulate Ninja Spirit and Military Madness and move on, more or less.
>>
>>3947735

I'm one of those fags that likes to play on cycle perfect hardware connected to my PVM

I might consider an everdrive though
>>
There are somewhat affordable routes. You could import a PC Engine from Japan and buy a flash cart. Probably about $150 investment in total.
>>
>>3947746
It's not worth it. Take it from a guy who owned basically every system from NES to PS3 including all the exotic ones...It was one of the worst. Play the two games I said :)

"Bonk" was a big deal back then but now you'd play it and be like "this didn't stand the test of time while mario and sonic etc did"

I really, can barely think of anything else other than JJ and Jeff, which I just remember because it was a bizarre game about pissing and dumps.
>>
>>3947753

I was interested in it because it looks like it has a number of shmups, and I'm a huge shmup kind of guy
>>
>>3947759
The only shooter I can remember is Blazing Lazers. I had several others and they were bad. The shooters, I recall distinctly were inferior to those on the NES.
>>
Fukken' Dragon's Curse mayn...
>>
>>3947771
You clearly know nothing about the pc engine or it's shooters
>>
>>3947698
PCEngine Express with Flashcart is the way to go.

Then get a CD add-on and burn games.
>>
>>3947698
It's worth it if you know Japanese and/or love shmups. Don't bother paying the ludicrous prices for games, though. Get a Turbo Everdrive and burn CDs.
>>
>>3947828
I clearly had a fucking TG16 while I severely doubt *you* did.

>>3947838
>>3947874
don't spen dmoney on this hardware, the system has very very very few good games. very few. unless you obsess over ancient basic shmups, the type that don't even have interesting ship powerups midlevel.
>>
>>3947698
>is something i cant afford worth it
lel

>>3947771
Damn. How old were you when you had one? 50? Or its early onset alzheimers a thing you your family?
>>
>>3947771

>The only shooter I can remember is Blazing Lazers.

2 hours later I am still baffled by this comment.
>>
>>3947880
>I clearly had a fucking TG16
You clearly didn't play it.
>>
>>3947880
Blazing Lazers was good, there was a good R-Type too. There were a were a fun games, Bloody Wolf, Splatterhouse, Neutopia, the Bonk trio, Legendary Axe, Dragon's Curse, Fantasy Zone, those were my favorite games for it growing up. JJ and Jeff is weird but not great and yeah most of the shooters I own are the weird and kind of crappy, junk like Falcon or Deep Blue
>>
>>3947894
Bloody wolf was good, forgot splatterhouse. Most of the games just don't really hold up that well imo though

I wanted to play deep blue so bad when it was out becaues it had those nice CGI graphics...Remembered it earlier tonight for the first time in like 25 years and watched a youtube vid...Painfully bad, basically no thought given to enemy patterns.

What was the game that was kind of a top down, gauntlet style action RPG thing? That game was fucking intense. I remember some giant tiger thing chasing me for like 1000 screens.
>>
>>3947759
TG16 is shmup heaven. Shmup fans are incredibly obsessive and dedicated, so it's no surprise that the TG16 has an obsessive and dedicated fanbase.
>>
Don't bother with TG16. Get a PC Engine. All the games for TG16 cost as much loose as their PCE counterparts do complete, and the hucards are region locked. Plus the US got about half the games Japan did, and nearly all the games worth playing you won't need any knowledge of Japanese for. Also the PC Engine is sexy as fuck while the turbografx is ugly as sin.
>>
File: pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg (767KB, 1000x644px) Image search: [Google]
pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg
767KB, 1000x644px
>>3947698
Don't bother with the Turbografx and get a PC Engine, if you're only interested in Hu card games the Coregrafx model can still be had for reasonable prices. Games for the PC Engine are way cheaper than the TG-16 equivalents.
>>
File: the.pain.is.gone.png (242KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
the.pain.is.gone.png
242KB, 640x450px
>>3947894
>>3947898
>>
>>3947771
>The only shooter I can remember is Blazing Lazers
Not the console's problem if you are an uneducated retard.
>>
What about the RPGs on this system. If it has sum very good ones, I would maybe buy it with a flashcard.
>>
>>3947759
If you like shmups and arcade games the PC Engine is a cool console, I'd recommend an everdrive though.
>>
I lost original screws from my PC Engine Duo and want to replace them with regular screws. What diameter/length do I need?
>>
>>3947969
There's a lot of great ones, sadly a lot of them still don't have translations. A few got released in the U.S. by Working Designs, and a few have gotten fan translations. Far East of Eden was the big RPG series on the PC Engine, and Legend of Xanadu is getting a fan translation soon.
>>
>>3948050
After some searching I found "#40 x 1/2" Philips", looks like M3 13 mm in metric.
>>
>>3948108
Ah, more of a reason to learn Japanese then.
>Working Designs
Now, I'm definitely buying a PC engine.
>>
>>3947771
>pce
>bad SHMUPs
I just fucking got into PCE and I can tell you that Soldier Blade and Super Star Soldier are excellent SHMUPs.
>>
The Wii has a nice selection of TG16 games, including Rondo of Blood.
>>
File: PCELOADING.gif (9KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
PCELOADING.gif
9KB, 256x224px
>>3947698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7en-ogwTs
>>
>>3947969
There are good ones. One of the reasons I learned Japanese was to play them. A few got translated but with the lag between Japanese and US releases it was quicker to learn Japanese.
>>
File: Retro_World_by__kol.png (2MB, 2000x625px) Image search: [Google]
Retro_World_by__kol.png
2MB, 2000x625px
Lotsa good advice in this thread.

Great job, /vr/ Troopers. I am impressed.
>>
Bomberman '94
Devil Crash
Magical Chase
Strip Fighter II
>>
>>3947698
It's at least worth emulating

Plenty of great shooters, action RPGs, and of course one of the best Castlevanias.

it also has an okay selection of platformers, Bonk 2, Parasol Stars and New Adventure Island are among the best of the best but everything else is decent or average

Do not buy it if you love sports games or beatem ups

Some of my favorites on the console

>Rondo of Blood
>Bonk 2
>Bomberman 93 and 94
>Ninja spirit
>Mr. Heli
>Liquid Kids
>Super Dodgeball
>Ys Book I and II
>Ys Book IV
>Ninja Gaiden (hit or miss)
>Galaga 88
>Soldier Blade
>Air Zonk
>Outrun
>Salamander
>SonSon II
>>
>>3948692
forgot to add the only beatemups worth playing are

>Splatterhouse
>Double Dragon II (NES remake)
>River City Ransom (remake)

For shits and giggles, check out the Strider port. It's really janky but has some exclusive stuff, mainly an extra level
>>
>>3947698
everdrive and burnt discs my man
>>
File: J_J_%20&%20Jeff%20(U).jpg (142KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
J_J_%20&%20Jeff%20(U).jpg
142KB, 500x600px
>>3948692
keith courage - jj and jeff - dragon spirt
>>
>>3947753
Fuck off you tasteless shit
>>
>>3947735
>>3947753
>>3947771
This guy is indeed a shitter, but that last post about shooters was just stupifyingly wrong.
>>
If you like shooters and platformers, turbo is a good fit. Just get ready for "and you thought SNES was bad" tier prices.
>>
>>3947746
good on you
>>
>>3947698
It's way too late to get into the Turbografx. Hell at the rate things are going I wouldn't even advise getting into the Genesis now.
>>
>>3947698
What's this about it being expensive now? I'm out of the loop.

Let me tell you about my TG16:
We were really poor when I was growing up. Never got any Nintendo or Sega anything. I got a TG16 when it was all but dead and the games were just a few bucks. I'll never forget when my mom found like 9 cards at a pawn shop for around $10. Bonk 1 & 2, JJ and Jeff, Sidearms, Dungeon something or other, I think Explorer 2 , some baseball game that was awesome, Phantasy Zone, Bomberman, MOTHERFUCKING PARASOL STARS:THE STORY OF BUBBLE BOBBLE 3(THAT GAME ROCKED MY COCK OFF). It was truly one of my fondest memories as a kid. We had no money, and here I had all these sweet ass games to play at home. THEY WERE MINE. Kids made fun of me cuz they had their Marios and Sonics, but give me Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and Bonk any day. I read all I could about it and became a huge Turbo fan boy. They would send me catalogs and I was convinced TurboGrafx was top of the food chain. I mean it had Adventure Island! And the magazines said in Japan it had Street Fighter 2 and the best Castlevania ever! I dreamed of one day getting the Turbo CD and playing Ground Zero Texas and Gate of Thunder. They sent me a video in the mail once for the Turbo Duo (if anyone knows where this might be on youtube, please direct me) shot like a home movie, with dudes talking about how cool the Duo was, in what seemed like an arcade maybe. I remember a shot of a car going to fast over a bump in the road and scraping the bottom, creating sparks. Clearly marketed towards cool teen males. They showed off this game called Lords of Thunder and holy shit I wanted it so bad. The music was nuts! I never got to play until much later when I emulated it on SegaCD but it was just as good as I had hoped.

Everything got lost during a bad period in our family, but fuck, the Turbo was a major source of happiness for me.

Thanks for making me smile, OP.
>>
File: PCERGB3.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
PCERGB3.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3947746
The Turbo EverDrive plays absolutely every HuCard game flawlessly, it's a worthwhile investment if you're interested in the console. The TED also works on PCE or TG16 consoles, and plays both regions games on either. You can even get chinese clones of the TED now, which might be a good idea since Krikzz hasn't updated the firmware for it since V2 anyway. It also functions as a Super CD-ROM2 card, which is cool if you have a working drive (which is unlikely). Also it has one of the best console ports of Space Invaders.
>>
>>3950935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDt4FJAcjOc
>>
>>3947698
I always wondered why the PC Engine was always seen as a lesser console even if it had many great classics.
Not as much as the Super Famicom or Sega Genesis, but they still have plenty of them.

Get a SuperGrafx for extra bragging rights and a Super CD-ROM 2.

And if you want to avoid the ridiculously expensive prices, get a Turbo EverDrive and burn your CD games.
>>
File: turbo_small.jpg (81KB, 308x401px) Image search: [Google]
turbo_small.jpg
81KB, 308x401px
It's totally worth it, very underrated console. If you don't want to deal with fucktarded prices, get a Turbo Everdrive & burn CDs or if you're comfortable with emulation, go with RetroARch and it's Mednafen PCE & SGX cores.
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PC_Engine_(TurboGrafx-16)_emulators
>>
If they had made blazing lasers or legendary axe the pack-in game in the US instead of Keith courage things would have gone very differently I think.
>>
File: tg16 jackin.png (76KB, 321x128px) Image search: [Google]
tg16 jackin.png
76KB, 321x128px
>>3951181
>>
>>3951194

Oh they could have done quite a few things differently. It's like Japs fixate on shit that doesn't matter and only pay lip service to the shit that does. It doesn't help that they can't tell a competent American from a shit-talker in a suite either.
>>
>>3951194
NEC blew all the marketing budget on manufacturing rather than a good ad campaign

Not to mention it launched 2 weeks after the genesis. That was a death sentence
>>
Hack your Wii to emulate the HUcards/Turbochips.
For the CD Games, Get a Turbo Duo, and burn the games on blank CDs since there is no protection on the console, not even a region lock. Or Wii Virtual Console for the CD games.
>>
>>3951358
>hack your wii dude
then play with a gamecube controller, awesome.
>>
>>3951285
Also, the American market for the system was literally shit. Only about 50-60% of the games were localized so the English speaking audience was intensely boned. I hear it was a serious contender in Japan though, getting SF Turbo before anyone else, having the best versions of Bomberman, and pretty much had Namco exclusivity for their run.
>>
>>3951358
Mednafen does PCE CD games quite well.
>>3951363
Nobody does that, GCN to PS1/2 adapters are like $10, and SNES adapters are a thing as well. And if you're not playing a game where timing is critically important, wiimote+classic controller pro is a nice setup.
>>
>>3951409
There was a point where the PCE was outselling the famicom in Japan, pretty much towards the end of its life in the late 80s/early 90s. Then when the CD games showed up it totally cornered the otaku market. It's kinda funny, in the west we look at FMV games as just these weird 90s oddities and most western devs decided to use it to shoehorn live action into games, but in Japan it was a much bigger deal since it meant fully voiced animu cutscenes. They wanted their anime games and they got them. The otaku market is where they focused most of their marketing in Japan later on, but early PCE stuff was all basically NES games with 16-bit graphics.
>>
>>3950961
Oh my god. Dude thank you. I watched this video so much as a kid you have no idea. This brings back so many memories. I have the biggest smile on right now. I bet my brother's is gonna be just as big. Thank you so, so much again.

I didn't care what anyone said when I was a kid. TG16 was where it was at. I'm remembering an RPGish game as well, but I cant put my finger on it. I think I'm going to to have to DL every single ROM in existence and recreate my childhood.

I am so stoked I wandered into this thread. I love you all.
>>
>>3951674
the big notable RPGs on the TG16 were Exile, Dungeon Explorer, Ys, and Neutopia. I might be missing a couple others since I'm not a huge RPG fan from those are the ones that got US releases that people seem to remember the most.
>>
>>3951409
Did you know Namco was going to make the pc engine 2? Hudson got super nervous and rushed the supergrafx

It didn't help that NEC had to license literally every single game for the turbografx, including 1st party
Hudson games. This depleted the funds quite quick

>>3951674
The turbografx really is quite the console. Those games you played like bonk 2 and parasol stars are super magical. Some of my all time favorites also include salamander, mr heli and Ys IV

You'll definitely love games like Liquid kids, bomberman 94, Ys 1 and 2, dragon's curse, mr heli, atomic robo kid, rainbow islands, sonson 2 and momotaro katsugeki (a better Keith courage). Those games should all align exactly with your tastes
>>
File: PCE DD.jpg (884KB, 3008x1693px) Image search: [Google]
PCE DD.jpg
884KB, 3008x1693px
>>3951716
Double Dungones is badass. Obviously more fun with 2 people.
>>
File: boxyboy.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
boxyboy.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>>3951776
fuck my typos, here's a direct RF capture of Boxy Boy
>>
>>3951716
Those are pretty much it, minus cosmic fantasy

The most notable RPGs in Japan were the tengai makyou series, emerald dragon, the Ys series, the Legend of Xanadu games, Cosmic fantasy series, and Blood Gear
>>
>>3951791
Japan got that killer version of Shin Megami Tensei on the PCE CD as well.
>>
>>3950397
>It's way too late to get into the Turbografx.
How? Just get a flash cart, provided you aren't an autistic collector.
>>
File: wiimote_sideways_lg.jpg (7KB, 425x114px) Image search: [Google]
wiimote_sideways_lg.jpg
7KB, 425x114px
>>3951363
The Wiimote side-ways is actually a great way to play PCE games.
You don't need more than 2 buttons, a d-pad and a start/run button anyway.
>>
>>3952509
>but muh turbo
>>
>>3952514
Pretty sure there's a way to activate the turbo, there's other buttons on the wiimote, like the B trigger.
>>
>>3951285
Japan MD sales: 3,580,000
Japan: PC sales: 8,000,000
Epic kek kid
>>
>>3952728
>Japan
He's talking about the US, saying Genesis should have given it away.
>>
>>3947698
just emulate
>>
File: 1363839507408.jpg (149KB, 952x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1363839507408.jpg
149KB, 952x1024px
>>3947698
jesus, from the thumbnail I thought that was a famiclone in a Playstation 3 lookalike case.
>>
>>3952756
I was pointing out the silliness of his parochialism. Saying Japan should have given it away.
>>
>>3953074
Well to be fair the Japanese market is largely irrelevant next to the US.
>>
>>3951181
>We released Sherlock Holmes on CD almost 2 years ago
Literally nobody cared.
>>
>>3950961
I had this tape lol.
>>
>>3953086
>Well to be fair the US market for Japanese toys is largely irrelevant to the Japanese
FTFY
>>
>>3953192
And they shouldn't, just like how Americans only care about American made toys.
>>
>>3947771
>i have literally never owned a pce/tg16 and i took my bullshitting one post too far

Yeah, you'll have that.
>>
>>3953223
>American made toys
You just excluded every piece of vidya after the 2600 production moved to HK something like a year after launch. kek.
>>
>>3947698
Emulate the games the look interesting to you and see if you would want to pay for them
>>
>>3951285

Ad campaigns don't mean shit if you'll only sell in the major cities. Which meant 60% of the country had no way of getting one, even if they had heard of it.
>>
>>3951409

From what I understand, their American branch had not one fucking clue what it was doing for the American market. Really weird localization and resource-allocation choices for games all around. TTI came in too late to make a saving throw, though they appear to have been more competent.
>>
>>3951776

Look at that sexy bitch.
>>
>>3953181

Now you know what kind of people they had selling there shit in America.

Morons.
>>
>>3954448

Fuck my typos.
>>
>>3954442
she's a dirty girl
That was somewhere over $50, for a little taste of how fucking expensive the PCE/TG16 scene is now. That particular controller sucks too, and another one is at least $30.
>>
>>3954448
You mean they had Mormons selling there shit?
>>
>>3954531
Which are the good controllers? The one in your picture is the same as the one that came with the Duo I bought recently, but since it doesn't really match I'm thinking of picking up another one.
>>
>>3954649
Sorry should have been more clear; that model of controller is totally fine, they're all basically the same except some don't have turbo sliders. That one controller that came bundled with my PCE, in above photo, is shitty. The D-Pad is super mushy on one-side and no matter what I do I cannot fix it.
>>
>>3954721
Oh, I see. I guess I got lucky with mine because it feels like it's in good shape, though I'm not a fan of that D-pad design in general.

Are any of the aftermarket controllers good?
>>
>>3954542

Sure. We'll go with that.
>>
>>3954649
Avenue Pad 3 is by far the most well-made controller, it feels like the regular 2 button pad but the extra button can either be used as a pause or select button.

Avenue Pad 6 unfortunately does not have a 3 button mode, so it's only useful for fighting games.
>>
>>3954531
TG16 prices have definitely gone full stupid but thankfully PCE is still pretty reasonable, especially if you're just going for loose hucards.
>>
>>3955003
The hardware is getting up there, though. Especially for working Duos and CD-ROM^2 units.
>>
>>3954896
if by fighing games you mean street fighter ii, yes. It is my favorite port though. I love the PCEs sound hardware so much.
>>
>>3954741
I think there really arent that many, but what there are are solid afaik. I don't have much hands on experience but a lot of them are just adapted famicom pads, and those are fine. you can also get a PS1 to PCE adapter, since playstation controllers are like $5 and the pre dual-shock ones are pretty great.
>>
>>3955067
>PS1 to PCE adapter
That's pretty neat. I might get one of those, thanks.
>>
File: Inadequacies.jpg (667KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Inadequacies.jpg
667KB, 2592x1944px
>>3955505
I gotta find those PS to PCE adapters too. PS pads are aplenty, while I no longer can afford real PCE controllers.

>>3954896
I like the Hori Fighting Commander PC(E), it only has a 2B and 6B mode but no 3B mode.
>>
>>3955882
>>3955505
they have the, at 'totokek' (I think i'm spelling that right). they cost about as much as a used controller omce shipping is factored in, but then you have a billion controllers at your disposal for $5 instead of $35. I havent picked one upmyet but I've been planning to forever.
>>
>>3956948
>totokek
kek
>>
>>3957153
i know right
>>
>>3947698
get a pc engine and a turbo everdrive, thats like $150 total give or take for both and you can play all hucard games and it enables super cd games should you upgrade to the suitcase and cd drive.

generally though emulation is far easier for this one system as it's a fool's errand attempting to collect for it.
>>
>>3955882
It might also be worth mentioning that the PCE controller uses a simple multiplexer like a MD. If you know how to solder you can add a PCE interface to nearly any controller for under a buck. This includes enough wire to make the cable longer than 2 ft. kek
>>
>>3951358

I've beat several TG16/PCE games on the Wii, very much recommend it. Even if you did want to go the route of buying the console you can get a feel for it on a TV and uncover some gems as you work through the rom list. I found shit like Gomola Speed and Photograph Boy this way, which I like a lot.
>>
>>3954531
tfw I paid 40 dollars for a core grafix,
two controllers, a multitap, and a buggered AV cable with Double Dungeons.
You can still find deals, provided you know where to look for them.
>>
>>3960129
Yeah i think i missed the boat and got into it too late. Also i hate dealing with auctions, which seems to be where the deals are, and is how I got that PCE for $50 (that included shipping). It wouldnt be as bad if it wasn't so obvious that yamatoku wasn't shill-bidding
>>
>>3960140
I actually picked up the entire set at a retro gaming expo in my area, in Canada. This set, plus a turbo everdrive, is a pretty sick setup. Outrun is a surprisingly good port for an 8 bit system.
>>
>>3960147
that's rad, i really need to go to one that's not pax in my area. I love the outrun port too, I got a TED and a composite/RGB adapter for my PCE, so as long as it doesn't die on me I'm pretty set, even if the whole rig is clunkier than a Core. That said it's the only console I don't have spare hardware for, which stresses me out.
>>
>>3960129
If you can still find deals why did you pay so much? kek
>>
I have the app on my phone and play Roms. They're all pretty shit honestly. There's almost zero exclusive cool games for it except I guess maybe demon and alien crush. Bonk was it's mascot ffs
>>
>>3948276
damn! this thing had the goods!
>>
>>3950935

My man, you're making ME smile. Great reminisce.
>>
>>3960472
$40 canadian is like $34 USD. Regardless, $40 isn't a lot of money.
>>
>>3947698
You might find someone who can sell you one at a fair price at the pcengine fx fourms
>>
Anyone with a region switch modded system here have any trouble with a Everdrive?
>>
>>3961184
Regardless that's not the claim you made.

>>3962217
Not me but I know people who have. How is it modded?
>>
>>3962479
I didn't make that claim to begin with, and the anon that did is still right. $40 for a CoreGrafx and the relevant cables, controller, etc is objectively a solid deal.
>>
>>3962597
>a solid deal
Still not the claim that was made. But thanks for playing.
>>
>>3962479
>Not me but I know people who have. How is it modded? Not completely sure but
it has a switch on the back that should change which pins connect to the card.
>>
File: kys kirb.jpg (22KB, 400x327px) Image search: [Google]
kys kirb.jpg
22KB, 400x327px
>>3962738
you're still going? That's literally what the other guy was getting at anyway, fucking 2 days ago. Thanks for playing, pedantic asshat.
>>
Did the TG16 have any good exclusives? I mean games released on the TG16 only and not on PC Engine.
>>
>>3965793

Absolutely not. As usual, the Nipps got all the good shit.
>>
>>3965793
Absolutely not

Maybe with the exception of Beyond Shadowgate, if you like that type of game. If nothing else, it pushes the color limits of the console
>>
>>3965796
>>3966328
wasn't Turrican US only? granted that's hardly an exclusive but it's a decent port that Japan didn't get.
>>
>>3966886
No, got on the JP library too
>>
File: 273717.png (6KB, 214x190px) Image search: [Google]
273717.png
6KB, 214x190px
>>3967234
no it didn't
>>
>>3967252
Yeah, my bad, I thought I saw a HE cover but it must have been something else.
>>
>>3965096
How do you know what the other guy meant? Unless...
>>
>>3966886
>decent port

a tiny amount of colors, several cut songs and even the entire Jetpack level was cut out

a lot of Turbo ports were quite nice, but Turrican wasn't one of them
>>
>Own a US duo since the early 00s
>always wanted to get into Japanese hucard games but adapters are so expensive
>go years telling myself "I'll get one eventually"
>finally realize after all this time that the coregrafx uses the same controller and composite cable as the duo and can use a model 1 genesis power supply
>bare coregrafx unit is under 40 bucks
>falling in love with the console all over again

best decision
>>
>>3948737
pouet pouet
>>
so who wins the "best platform for shooters" award, PC Engine or Genesis?
>>
>>3972565
PC Engine. The Genesis is certainly solid but it doesn't have as much variety or big ticket names

>Gradius series
>Twinbee
>R-Type
>Star Soldier series
>Galaga 88
>Image Fight
>1943 Kai
>Air Zonk
>Lords of Thunder
>Darius series

The Genesis certainly had an edge with the Toaplan ports, though PCE had some preferable versions like Truxton (Tatsujin) and Kyuukyoku Tiger

The Raiden and Aero Blasters ports were both superior on PC Engine

Genesis definitely also had Thunder Force III, but Gate of Thunder is a worthy competitor (and suprisingly looks better)

Gley Lancer is also a really fucking good game, though a tad long
>>
>>3954434
They need some sort of NECtoral college system.
>>
Anybody else love the PC Engine sound chip? Was playing Neutopia II the other day and appreciating how much easier on the ears it is than Genesis.
>>
>>3972803
Definitely excellent. Here's some of my favorite tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgQ2MQGKHcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPVA0b98g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXRGuLykwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp7cs0R-UMk&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hurdakLKsDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0aUVFHRaEI&index=13&list=PL-vD6rIjXrcKC6yVbXDYOUdTdD4XI0xaW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbRDFN9qdI&list=PLLeTemq3TeFVs1Op6Dwepe84ckEBDIKw-&index=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8108XHXqitg&list=PL03CD644AA389F10A&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajmPeUl3SI
>>
>>3972803
PC Engine has some of the best sound of that generation. Easily better (to me anyway) than SNES or genesis. Kind of amazing that it doesn't actually have a dedicated sound chip, all the audio is generated by the CPU.
>>
>>3947698

>Bonk's Adventure

Literally the only reason to play one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N55c1e_eH2Q
>>
>>3972872

The first stage theme of Super Star Soldier is missing from this list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhtBuuiiVs

>>3973006

I wouldn't go that far. At least on a technical level the SNES sound chip could do a lot more. PC Engine sound was impressive given the limitation you mentioned though and is more pleasing to the ear than the Yamaha YM2612 even when properly utilized. It just feels more filled out, rich and smoother.
>>
>>3947698
replace the capacitors, get an ever drive and burn your cd games. It will only cost you 150-250 usd.
>>
>>3972565
I know genesis is more in line with what the OP was talking about, but how has no one mentioned the saturn yet? It's got a better shmup library than the genesis. Sega systems generally had awesome shmup libraries compared to their contemporaries.
>>
>>3972872
>>3972803
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jcdiSG1uVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_cbsEA_vO4&index=21&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgnxNqitkP86ZIJWjQOwZbD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nY7nH1UeMM&index=22&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgnxNqitkP86ZIJWjQOwZbD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g7VuIGrY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmP6yI5l8yM&index=13&list=PLC1B91305CD5670D7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvONCfFHC4&list=PLp4Q_MgZU7EgIdbJUowuYSfg5ggxIJTuH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQon60cRVoA&list=PLp4Q_MgZU7EgIdbJUowuYSfg5ggxIJTuH&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGkx_eKUuw&index=4&list=PLp4Q_MgZU7EgIdbJUowuYSfg5ggxIJTuH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNT4uDXRxEs&list=PLDE994ACA9EC670B8&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqWwzXBj2wM&list=PLLT7eg4yuZKx-Zxk_hT1FPkY1_P_aa_2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygd57dBkddw&index=2&list=PLLT7eg4yuZKx-Zxk_hT1FPkY1_P_aa_2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Pm178ITls&list=PLLT7eg4yuZKx-Zxk_hT1FPkY1_P_aa_2g&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9FxIgcG6O4&list=PLH1R_On9zYeMeuvBNHvjiQde9k63wIoVL&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa11MuXnnZY&list=PLH1R_On9zYeMeuvBNHvjiQde9k63wIoVL&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4_jhANqwE&index=10&list=PLH1R_On9zYeMeuvBNHvjiQde9k63wIoVL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zc6bUUOgBQ&index=13&list=PLH1R_On9zYeMeuvBNHvjiQde9k63wIoVL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8RkbzxldnM&list=PL-vD6rIjXrcKjdZjR6bwbS4AT57ag6OZb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3K6rNJRwc&list=PLffRq-K8cG5yeh0wWUqQ43NNwQTzyPBEo&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSk_LNMyhU
>>
File: Need_to_fix_sound.jpg (776KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Need_to_fix_sound.jpg
776KB, 2592x1944px
I sent mine in to get a RGB mod and capacitors replaced. Sound died on my Duo again 2 weeks ago. The fix only lasted me a year. Alas, it my be time I have to put the Duo from my youth to rest. I cannot recommend the heartbreak, the games are great, but it is just costly to maintain the system.

I hear the original Xbox needs some sort of capacitor change too, and I have two of those. It is not easy for me to play games anymore.
>>
>>3974328
>The fix only lasted me a year
That's a real shame. Is this common? The sound on my duo had been fucked for close to a decade (no sound at all for about the first 20 minutes of use, then once it kicked in it was quiet and the volume would spike up and down and not be consistent at all), I just recently changed out the pre/post amp caps and now it's working like new, I'd hate to see it go dead again. Is yours having any other issues besides audio?
>>
>>3948708
>JJ and Jeff
>Not the superior PCE version

The US version screwed up a lot of the humor. Get the PCE version.

Other good games are Final Soldier, Blazing Lazers and Mr. Heli (from what I've played). I also enjoy BeBall and Sengoku Mahjong (Even though the latter is because my Jap friend got me hooked on Mahjong.)

Also, I don't know why but ever since I got Strip Fighter for cheap in Japan I'm kinda interested in getting the weird Japanese pr0n games released for this console...
>>
>>3974328
Sounds like whoever did the cap job did a poor job on it.
>>
File: Notice_me_sempai.jpg (3MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Notice_me_sempai.jpg
3MB, 2304x1728px
>>3974815
>>3974917
I guess the shaking that occurred during shipping may have affected the quality of the soldering job. The RGB is okay, but I am getting a stutter every now and then, so I assume all the issues were from shipping it back & forth despite the padding added.

Fear not, I also have a Super CD-ROM2 which could hook up to a standard PC-Engine or CoreGrafx. However, I have to save up in order to get one of those now. So fortunately the CD-ROM games can still be enjoyed (but in awful RF, unless I save some more to get another RGB mod).
>>
>>3974885
>Mr Heli

mah nigga, one of my all time favorites

Atomic Robo Kid and Fantasy Zone are also pretty dope "non-autoscrolling shooters"
>>
>>3976308
>that pic
Man, being a TG16 fan at the time it was current with little to no internet must have been rough. Although even the big name chain stores back then seemed to be better about keeping niche stuff in stock or at least being able to order it for you. fuck I miss Babbages
>>
>>3974153
>jinmu denshou
This game seems to get shit on a lot in the PCE community but I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>3980280
The music is fucking awesome and the alternative control in the options menu is better, but it's definitely a brutal and choppy game

But it's a nice take on space harrier, certainly better than space fantasy zone
>>
>>3980312
Yeah in all honesty the music is probably the best part of the game. I agree that it's definitely flawed but I still think it's a good time. Same story with Big Club's other PCE game, Rock On. Very much kusoge but not games completely devoid of value and certainly not without any enjoyment to be found in them.
>>
anyone wanna link me to which ED I should buy?
>>
>>3982840
Isn't there only one for the PC Engine?
>>
>>3983036
There isn't
>>
>>3982840
just buy the latest version?

Join the Everdrive facebook page to get the link to the complete romset
>>
>>3982840
You want the V2 model. There's no reason to get V1 if you even still can. There's also no real need to spend extra o the 3D printed plastic parts that cover the reset button, etc. Mine is bare naked, I got it for like $90 from StoneAge Gamer. You can get clones for ~$60 on AliExpress now, if you'd rather that. No idea if they're V1 or V2 though.
>>
>>3950935
This is why i come here.
Thanks anon.
>>
I'm >>3961581 I finally recieved my Turbo Duo in the mail, I'm gonna burn a few CDs and possibly post back here. Initial reactions are that the system is smaller than I thought, I was assuming it'd be wider but i'm fine with that and I'm glad it has a headphone jack so I can listen to the sweet goodness of that CD quality audio via headphones like the Genesis. Mine is recapped and RGB modded so i'm looking forward to playing on my RGB Meme TV.
>>
>>3985057
>not knowing how to use headphones with any retro console
So sad
>>
>>3984797
What's the difference between v1 and v2?
>>
>>3986664
The number at the end. kek
V2 fixes a few issues you'd probably never notice. I think it also loads a little faster but never never bothered to time it.
>>
>>3974885
Hi Leg Fantasy is supposed to be pretty great but I don't even know if it's been translated
>>
>>3986879
from what I hear the loading time difference is actually pretty noticable. additionally the V2 has way more flash RAM, iirc, which could be hugely benficial if krikzz ever decides to update the firmware ever again. I'm actually pretty dissapointed that the TED has recieved zero fw updates since its launch.
>>
Which version of PC Engine should I get? I really like the look of the first one (white).
>>
>>3987945
one that works
>>
>>3987945
If you want CD capabilities (and I don't know why you wouldn't), everyone agrees that the Duo-R/RX is the one to get since it doesn't use cheap crap capacitors like the regular Duo and standalone CD-ROM units. That said, they're getting old enough that even a Duo-R/RX might be in need of a recap job at this point.

So basically, see >>3987947
>>
>>3987945
If you just want HuCard games, or can't afford to invest in a CD system right now, the white PCE is solid. It's RF only by default, but all PCEs are composite through RGB capable out of the box with the expansion port on the back. There's a guy on eBay who makes composite/RGB/S-Vid-Component adapters for like $20-30, which is totally worth it. The white PCEs are like $30-50. I paid $50 shipped for my first one with a controller, and I just won an 'untested' naked one for $29.99 so we'll see how it shakes out. Like the Famicom the plain old PCE is oretty resiliant so I have high hopes that it will function.
>>
File: PCERGB3.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
PCERGB3.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3987945
>>3988030
Pic related, white PCE via RGB with chinese eBay adapter.
>>
>>3987865
>flash RAM
lel. But if you mean flash how do you imagine that is going to be hugely beneficial or in anyway beneficial? I'm actually pretty disappointed I wasn't able to upgrade my discontinued old car into a current model with a free download. Then I remembered I wouldn't download a car.

>>3987945
>I really like the look of the first one (yellow)
FTFY

>>3987945
Whatever does what you want that you can find/afford/whatever. My goto one is a core2 with super cd. Gets the job done and looks cool as fuck. But I hear super cds are expensive on (You)bay.
>>
>>3988140
yeah yeah I misspoke, I think the V1 had flash memory, which isn't ideal. The v2 has more and will theoretically last longer. It's very much wishful thinking, but I'm just hoping for an update with SRAM support, and the hardware on the TED could also potentially support CD-ROM games, which would be incredible. That said, you can't even buy the V1 anymore, and it's quite clear that Krikzz doesn't give a shit abot the TED, or anything that's not whatever he's working on at the moment.
>>
>>3988140
also what are you getting from being a prick in every reply?
>>
>>3988173
Flash memory is perfectly ideal. What do you suppose would be better? And I don't really see the point of more of it. One game was bigger than 1MB and the older versions handle that. I guess he has potential plans for it. SRAM and BRAM on the other hand could actually be used now. Apparently recent versions have SRAM. I understand not adding BRAM to support one game but if the endgame is full system card+ifu emulation then you need BRAM. Of course that could always go in that extra flash space. It would be awesome if that was the goal but I doubt it. No one has ever cloned an IFU and krikzz is all about SDizing old chink shit.

>>3988181
Living life as a non nu-male. I understand it trigger millennials
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.