[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who prefers non-upscaled or visually modified

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0506.png (763KB, 2560x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0506.png
763KB, 2560x761px
Am I the only one who prefers non-upscaled or visually modified games?

I feel like most devs before the 7th gen were aware of the jaggies and other graphical limitations they were working with and designed the visuals to accommodate it

When upscaled it just makes the game look more dated and blocky
>>
>>3947391
You're still upscaling though even without raising the internal resolution, unless you play it at native resolution on a CRT. Giant dithering artifacts won't be nearly as visible then.
>>
File: Clipboard.jpg (185KB, 640x840px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard.jpg
185KB, 640x840px
No, you're not. In Ace Combat 3 nighttime looks better (IMHO) because the "lights" are like all glittery but when enhanced to high-res it's all smooth and it loses a lot of the original appeal. Not saying it looks bad, but I always preferred the original PSX look (thank god for accurate emulators).
>>
>>3947391
i usually Play at the rez rhe game was intended so or else the game looks like a bunch of blocks
>>
>>3947397
I play on my PS3, smoothing off

Could never get psx emulators working
>>
>>3947391
nah, tons of people do. I was playing quake just the other day and I straight 640x480'd it on a 42" tv.

i'd say once you get to PS2 era, upscaling probably becomes blanket good in far more cases than it is bad. PS1 era was much lower res though.
>>
There's something vaguely tacky about rendering PS1 games at high res, but I can't put my finger on why.

Wish I could compromise and render them at just 480p.
>>
>>3947876
>Wish I could compromise and render them at just 480p.

why don't you
>>
>>3947876
It makes the texture warping more obvious, for one thing. At 240p it's barely noticeable most of the time.
>>
>>3947876
>There's something vaguely tacky about rendering PS1 games at high res
Yeah it just looks awful.
>>
It can look bad, but racing games almost always look incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKgNn9FssY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKNLwC3sdgg
>>
File: Wipeout 3 SE Manor Top.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
Wipeout 3 SE Manor Top.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>>3947876
>>3947968
Are we including emulation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ZEXxu_9ag
>>
Yes, old games were designed for the resolutions they were played at. Doom looks best on 320x240. If you make it look crisp you suddenly realize how empty the levels actually are.
>>
>>3948059
Except GT2. That game was rushed and the graphics don't scale well.
>>
>>3947391
yes
>>
File: King_Shahryar_by_idreamofjv.png (390KB, 500x900px) Image search: [Google]
King_Shahryar_by_idreamofjv.png
390KB, 500x900px
>>3947391

Son, as far as I'm concerned that's playing the way god intended. Might add some light filtering to account for CRT => LCD differences but even there a light hand is best (don't get carried away with 4xYZSuperSABR or whatever shit is popular with casualfags this year).

About the only sin I'm guilty of is that I actually like my 16:9 stretched. The black bars at the intended 4:3 just really really bother the hell outta me for some reason.

>>3947402

>Not saying it looks bad, but I always preferred the original PSX look (thank god for accurate emulators).

Amen.

>>3948229
>>3948127

Get a load of these infidels.
>>
>>3948132
It's true. I got into Doom mostly through modern sourceports, eventually after a while tried Chocolate Doom on a whim and shat my pants at how much more murky and atmospheric it is with the lower res and color depth. People weren't fucking kidding when they talked about it being a scary game.
>>
>>3948310
lelwut? That is an incredibly low standard of scary.
>>
>>3947391
3d games are a crapshoot. Some are definitely better on a CRT or modified to go from interlaced to progressive, while leaving everything else alone.

Some are total junk left alone. Plenty of issues with the developers intending the game to be better than it ended off at, where emulation or modification can fix it. (low fps and graphical errors.)

For older 2d games, most games were 100% intended to be on a screen with at least slight scanlines and sharper/crispier pixels. Newer 2d is mostly meant for newer screens.
>>
>>3947391
STOP POSTING SILENT HILL IMAGES ALL THE FUCKING TIME YOU'RE NOT HIP YOU'RE NOT COOL YOU'RE CUTE YOU'RE CERTAINLY NOT FITTING IN WITH THIS SHIT STOP STOP STOP STOPS TOPS TOPS TOPS TOPS STOP STOPS STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP
>>
>>3948132
Doom objectively looks better at 640x400.
>>
>>3949650
This, ironically I managed to play it on 320x again and noticed how blocky it made everything in the distance.

For most games I prefer 640x even if its more efficient to run it higher (diablo2 thread I was in reminds me that D2 really needs to be at least 800x tho).

I wish ePSXe had blaarg's NTSC filter built into it.

I cant use shaders (no OpenGL) and the only possible way to get it close to crt look is with scanlines, which I set at 62% brightness.

For that matter I wish I could apply an image filter like NTSC to my entire windows. Like have it overlayed over everything including the desktop/taskbar. That way it would hit every program not just the game I was running.

Anybody heard of any programs that will do that?
>>
>>3947391
Of course not silly. Every single one of us who has a CRT prefers it.
>>
>>3947527
you should try mednafen if you have a half-decent PC, finally brings PSX emulation to 4th gen levels. it's actually more accurate than the PS3's emu
>>
File: Sheeta Levistone.gif (405KB, 450x243px) Image search: [Google]
Sheeta Levistone.gif
405KB, 450x243px
>>3947391
I play on my BVM with an actual PSOne.

And it looks amazing.
>>
File: 1410608464052.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1410608464052.png
1MB, 1280x960px
DITHERING DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>3949547
But I like silent hill
>>
File: bqZpW_s-200x150.gif (277KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
bqZpW_s-200x150.gif
277KB, 200x150px
>>3947391
>Am I the only one who prefers non-upscaled or visually modified games?
>asking this on /vr/
>>
>>3949667
I've been wanting this too, can't find one either. Maybe it's easier said that done.
>>
>>3950863
Oh shit you got a tripcode after the shitstorm of Lawliet impostors, that's funny.

It's easier to just emulate on a CRT monitor you know, and it looks damn near just as good as a PVM/BVM.
>>
just because you like retro games doesn't mean you don't upscale or put shit filters on them
>>
>>3947391
Texture filters are just fine. Full screen filters and CRT filters are autistic.
>>
>>3949650
Yeah, I'd say most FPS games don't look too good at 320x200, everything just looks too blocky. I was playing Rise of the Triad which doesn't have a source port and I can't tell what anything is. FPS games seem to benefit massively from increased resolution.
>>
>>3950867
Is it just me or did mass effect copy from that?
>>
>>3947391
no.
now shut up and upscale.
>>
File: received_1640301982664952.png (2MB, 1123x676px) Image search: [Google]
received_1640301982664952.png
2MB, 1123x676px
Yeah I think PS1 suffers more than any other console when upscaled. Just finished my CRT_Emudriver setup so here's a screen
>>
>>3947391
I don't like modifications, but that's simply because I like how it looks blocky and even jittery.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.