[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else have this sweet chunk of plastic when it came

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

File: sega-game-gear.png (841KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
sega-game-gear.png
841KB, 1000x620px
Did anyone else have this sweet chunk of plastic when it came out? It had pretty decent graphics, yet no one ever talks about it. I still remember buying large packs of batteries just to keep it powered.
>>
I did.

Never had that many games for it though. Never bothered with batteries either, just plugged it directly into the wall.
>>
>>3946420
>I still remember buying large packs of batteries just to keep it powered.
Yeaaaahhh that was mainly why it didn't do so well.
>>
People talk about it often, It just didn't have as many good games as the inferior gameboy, and that's what really matters.

I liked the GG megaman games way more than the GB ones
>>
>>3946420
I remember almost beating sonic for the first time and the battery dying
>>
>>3946420
I need to buy replacement capacitors for mine.
https://console5.com/store/sega-game-gear-cap-kit-for-va1-models.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-GameGear-Capacitor-Replacement-Kit-Fix-no-low-sound-video-and-poor-audio-/170903112000
>>
Still have mine. I got the carrying case, magnifying screen and the TV Tuner attachment. I had the huge battery problem too, until I broke down and way overpaid for an ac adaptor. The games were fairly sweet. I always wanted Road Rash, but never got it.
>>
I did.
I'm trying to recall all the games I actually owned for it. I only had a few, but I remember seeing quite a handful in stores.
Sonic 2 and Triple Trouble
Tails Adventure
Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck
Taz-Mania (FUCKING KILL ME)
The Lion King
Bubble Bobble
I think I rented Streets of Rage 1 once

That's all.

I once saw someone playing Chaos and actually had tie-in postcards from a hotel that I lost (they'd probably be worth money now, goddamn). I knew of Chaos, but never saw it in real life.

I remember thinking that Sonic Blast would probably play like Sonic 3D Blast. Glad I never bought it or even played it as a kid.
I recall an old schoolmate playing a Boxing game where someone eats a hamburger mid-match. I believe other kids had a Power Rangers game and maybe an X-Men game, but I don't know which ones or even if they actually did.

Years later when I was a teenager, I saw certain dollar stores selling game gears and game gear games. I wasn't sure what the deal was. Maybe it was a reproduction shipment or maybe someone in Sega found a big crate in a warehouse and sent them to be sold in dollar store chains. Who knows. They were stuff I already owned though (mostly Sonic, but no Chaos).

I had a Game Gear too. I even had a Game.Com and a Neo Geo Pocket Later on. I liked them all except the Game.com, but even then I still liked the ideas it had and some of the games were "okay-ish" to my young mind. They probably play like shit though.
>>
>>3946420
I never bothered with the batteries and just plug it to the wall. Then it gets hot af which still makes it unplayable past an hour or two.

GG Shinobi was legit, though
>>
File: battery7.jpg (484KB, 2400x1350px) Image search: [Google]
battery7.jpg
484KB, 2400x1350px
Picture: Enough batteries to power a Game Gear for one entire week!
>>
I made a cable to run mine off lipos.
>>
>>3947592

Tails Adventure is one of my favorite games ever, handheld or otherwise. It's so underrated
>>
when I was a chind. I only used rechargeable or adapter to play gamegear.
Normal 6x AA baterry are hight price and if I use full sound volum it have only 1.5 hour to play.
>>
Street of rage 2 gamegear are best beat them up game on 8bit system, better then Mity finalfight.
>>
>>3946420
I did. The PCE was much better but I guess the GG was ok if you're a poorfag from Brazil or something.
>>
>>3947623
Modern batteries actually get like 6 hours from a game gear nowadays
>>
>>3948197
So two weeks then.
>>
>>3946420
I still have mine with TV tuner and the Master System adapter. I should dig it out and play it. It's too bad that the TV tuner won't work anymore.
>>
File: has_anynoe.jpg (35KB, 400x400px)
has_anynoe.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>3948197
That's about what I get on mine. The Lynx has similar runtime these days.

Ironic that these old consoles which still get lambasted for crap battery life actually outlast modern systems with their fancy-dancy lithium packs. Really makes you think...
>>
what are the chances of sega re-releasing the game gear as "game gear slim" with 30 or 60 games built-in. ala the nes classic?
>>
>>3949070
>Game Gear Slim
Apt you should theorise that being its name as it almost perfectly describes the chances.

Even better would be
>Game Gear None
>>
>>3947851
How can I learn to do this? Any tips/guides?
>>
>>3946420
Shit software.
>>
>>3948706
I don't know which modern systems you've been playing, but every single rechargeable handheld I own outlasts the Game Gear and Lynx besides the PSP2000.
>>
>>3949120
You need a guide to wire positive to positive and negative to negative?

Sucks to be you I guess...
>>
>>3949207
Every nintendo handheld later than fat GBA.

Coincidentally every one which uses lithium packs rather than AAs...
>>
>>3949212
what are wires
>>
>>3949212
No but I'd like to know what battery and cable he used
>>
>>3949283
The battery is clearly pictured. GG power supply tip specs are here:

http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/93401-Sega-Power-Supplies-for-Mega-Drive-Mega-CD-32X-Master-System-Game-Gear-etc/page2

Damn, google sure leveled up its learning curve eh?
>>
>>3949375
thx 4 the help bby
>>
>>3949212
kek
>>
>>3946420
Need a good guide to make my GG VGA out,
>>
>>3948706
>new batteries power old shit for a long time
>new batteries power new stuff for a smaller amount of time

You've stumbled upon something lad.
>>
>>3949283
Search for pic related on ebay. Cut off the USB and wire up an appropriate connection to a battery. 2s or 3s lipos are fine for gg.
>>
>>3950026
Awesome! Thanks! I'm gonna make one for my Nomad.
>>
>>3950052
Works fine on my nomad with 2s and 3s lipo batts. The 7-8.4v range on 2s still seems to be plenty of power for the nomad+everdrive.
>>
>>3949070
They've done that shit before, but only through 3rd parties and I heard the sound was fucked up.
>>
>>3950254
They're still doing it right now, and yeah the emulation is all kinds of fucked. It's a bunch of Genesis re-releases though, not Game Gear.
>>
>>3950264
I saw some years ago with GG stuff though. The front and center game being triple trouble.
>tfw no 40 dollar NGPC clicky stick pirate box knockoff with 40 games pre-installed and wireless multiplayer
I JUST WANNA FIGHT SOMEONE AT GALS FIGHTERS
GODDAMNIT
>>
>>3946420

I still have mine. Thing is in spectacular shape because my parents refused to spend money on batteries, and I could only visit the grandparents enough times to validate it.

I emulate everything of worth... so it sits, waiting, to be used in a post-apocalyptic film needing 1990s props.
>>
>>3950410
>in spectacular shape
No it's not. The screen is all washed out and the sound is fucked if it works at all. If it even turns on it takes a few tries. This is what happens to GGs that sit at the grandparents house.
>>
>>3946420
My childhood.

>>3947901
Street of Rage 2 GG is probably the best game on the system. Timeless.
>>
>>3950282
>I JUST WANNA FIGHT SOMEONE AT GALS FIGHTERS
Not a big loss, those portable fighters are trash.
>>
File: ggcoverj.jpg (94KB, 640x718px)
ggcoverj.jpg
94KB, 640x718px
>>
>>3953838
My favourite Master system game, is the gamegear version just a port or another game?
>>
>>3953876
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhl7Vxe5xkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-WPEzW-ML0

There are similarities, but ultimately they are quite different. MS has more variety in level design, but GG has better presentation. Both are a lot of fun though.
>>
File: lynx7.jpg (69KB, 639x479px)
lynx7.jpg
69KB, 639x479px
>chunk of plastic
>decent graphics
>no one ever talks about it
>>
>>3953897
Lynx is the ultimate rad mobile with 2ude. You need an extra large fanny pack just to carry it.
>>
>>3953891
Looks pretty diffirent, definitely gonna check it out.
Thx for the info man.
>>
>>3953897
Isn't that, like, the only game?
>>
>>3953916
and it's a multiplat too
>>
Go play Sylvan Tale
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/67/
>>
>>3953891
I still haven't played the MSX2 version myself.
And also, I think the GG version is a little easier.
>>
>>3957472
I already did. Tight as fuck. Needs a remake like nobody's business because while some of the music tracks are good, some of them sound shitty due to the sound choices, despite the melodies themselves being okay-ish.
Also, I'm still a little torn on being able to swing a lot and using the rapid stab. I felt like both had their advantages, but the latter overwrote your ability to do the former as soon as you got it.
Still, it was neat to have an action-adventure swordsman whose special attack WASN'T a generic circle swing.
>>
>>3946420
I used by SMS power connector to keep it charged, and played it mostly at home. Bought a SMS to GG converter for it too.
>>
>>3946420
GG got me into strategy games as a kid with Shining Force 2. Soo many batteries killed and I was super bummed when the thing finally stopped working.
>>
I love shining froce GG, but I not play by batteries.
only use adapter and ever the hot burn my hand
>>
>>3946420
Had this and liked it at the time but Sonic wasn't as good as Mario or really anything else to me and the battery thing like a lot of people said. Hardware wise it was really good compared to the Game Boy line.

tl;dr limited game selection and notable battery issues
>>
>>3947914
Why would you compare a console to a handheld like that?

Did you mean the Turbo Express?
>>
File: 1492227244519.jpg (91KB, 618x645px)
1492227244519.jpg
91KB, 618x645px
>>3947901
>Better than Mighty Final Fight

No.
>>
>>3946420
What game is this?
>>
>>3960719
The game of wanting to take down the game boy with color but a smaller library and much shorter battery life.

Literally had to get an adapter after the first couple of batteries sets died.
>>
>>3961501
The Game Boy had a couple of years headstart and an absolute crapton of shovelware.

The GG had backwards compatibility and perfectly usable battery life assuming you didn't use shitty zinc chloride AAs. In fact these days it outlasts modern handhelds with lithium packs.

Go figure.
>>
>>3959789
I havent finished it yet but its a great zeldavania.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.