[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Mega Man X1-4. >Formulaic. >Figuring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

File: MegamanMHX.jpg (177KB, 1137x1111px) Image search: [Google]
MegamanMHX.jpg
177KB, 1137x1111px
Let's talk about Mega Man X1-4.

>Formulaic.
>Figuring out what boss is weak to what is purely trial and error.
But maybe they intend for you to play it as a straight action game, and if you discover a weakness, it's supposed to be a happy accident.
>The upgrades are in the same place every time, so once you collect all of them, the game becomes trivial, other than the last stages.
>Even then, if you know what you're doing, they could still be trivial.
>Fun movement mechanics: wall jumping, dashing, air-dashing...
>Huge arsenal of weapons in each game.
>It's fun to discover how they work.
>In X4, Zero is completely different than X.
>These games are typical Japanese style over substance.
>The gameplay is fine, but it's structured shittily.
>>
>>3940763
Had this thread a couple of days ago.

Sorry you missed out
>>
Are you the same guy who was complaining about LttP being too linear/not having an open world?
>>
>>3940792
When was this? I don't think so. I agree that it's too linear, though.
>>
>>3940763
Only X4 is designed in a bland, lazy shit way. Also shitty laggy controls for some reason. X3 has some retarded power ups and the art direction sucks.
>>
>Even then, if you know what you're doing, they could still be trivial.
As in every video game ever? I think this applies to life in general.

I beat X last week and I just beat X2 some hours ago. I can say at least X2 is better than X in some points:

-More difficult in a good way. X bosses were piss easy even if you only were using the x buster.
-All the weapons are useful and its fun finding out what works best against which enemy.

-I liked X2 stage design better. It was fun exploring the levels thinking how I could use my weapons to get the hidden powerups.

Some bad points of X2 is the soundtrack, I liked X's better.
-Some powerups are literally impossible to find if you don't read a guide or scour every corner of every level with the scan ability.
-The final form of the final boss felt too underwhelming, like they focused too much on just making it a neat tech display.
>>
>>3940808
>As in every video game ever? I think this applies to life in general.
This is usually where people disagree with me. My theory of game design is it should always push you to the margin of your abilities. Some people, like you, say that if it behaves like real life, then it's good enough. I disagree, though, because sometimes life is fucking boring, which is partly why games exist to begin with.
>>
>>3940763
>le contrarian opinion
>>
>>3940819
>my theory of game design
Stopped reading, you should probably check out Game Theory on youtube, or Extra Credits, they'd probably validate you.
>>
>>3940883
>/v/ told me these guys were bad so I have to parrot them
Game Theory was at least good at one stage and turned to shit, EC is great all round
>>
>>3940887
/v/ didn't tell me shit, these guys have been terrible from day 1.

>game theory was good at one stage
It was never good.

>EC is great all around
We're running out of bandwidth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuqmKg6QQTw
>>
>>3940889
Game Theory had some at least interesting ideas, like the Frogger video was legitimately entertaining

Ah yes the only criticism /v/ kiddies like to pull out, even after they said they were probably wrong and misunderstood but keep being retarded
>>
>>3940891
If you knew anything about game design, or game development you'd know Extra Credits has always been fucking garbage armchair bullshit.

That video is just the piece de resistance of their incompetence and pseudo-intellectualism.
>>
>>3940894
>muh buzzwords
Back to /v/ little one
>>
>>3940876
>>3940883
God forbid you think about the content of the post instead of going REEEEEEEEEEE IT MAKES ME THINK AND I DON'T LIKE IT. And then

>E-celebs

Wew lad.
>>
>>3940912
Imagine being this utterly fucking stupid
How the fuck did you not get aborted
>>
>>3940763
X1 was the first attempt at bringing Megaman to the SNES, and it did an amazing job! Amazing controls, graphics and soundtrack, all while keeping the gameplay similar to the previous NES games AND making it feel fresh and new.

X2 built on this a lot, and had some interesting level mechanics. Also a great game.

X3 tries a little hard but it is still a great game. Making the player only able to select 1 'chip' upgrade allows for replay-ability (unless you get the GoldenChip). RIDE Armour is a great addition too.

I agree that once you know all the secrets and have beaten it a few times, it becomes trivial, but don't all games?
>>
Let's discuss OP

>is a faggot
>underage
>>
>>3940984
>Even a namefag is less of a faggot than OP
>>
>>3940763

X1 is literally the perfect X game, but X2 edges it out in a number of ways (upgrades, bosses, story).

As much as I enjoy playing X3, it’s certainly the weakest of the original four. A shame, since you can see the cracks of genuinely smart design peek out.

I have nothing in particular to say about X4.
>>
File: Castlevania.jpg (135KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania.jpg
135KB, 640x480px
>>3940763

As much as i like the Megaman graphics and music, i prefer slower paced platformers with dark fantasy setting.
>>
>I'm playing with a guide, why am I not enjoying the game guise?
>>
>>3941539
>le epically hardcore le bacon le beards no guide manly xD
>>
>>3941109
that level and bossfight suck
>>3940763
what?
>>
>>3940763

> not busteronly.

Are you a 6 year old girl or something?
>>
>>3941109
Is this a Wrastlevania reference?
>>
>>3940915
You're fucking cancer
You're why 4chan sucks
>>
>>3941589
what?
>>
>>3941728
???? I'm not the retarded newfag here
>>
>>3940912
>>3941728
Next time, try actually writing proper sentences and not a greentext story if you want others to take you seriously
>>
>>3941734
??? No you

>>3941736
I did, you're too stupid to discern between greentext and critique.
>>
File: unbenannt33.png (172KB, 565x379px) Image search: [Google]
unbenannt33.png
172KB, 565x379px
>>3941685
Not him but I am one
>>
>>3941754
Not them, but you didn't really made any real criticism, in fact your post (if you're the OP) is mostly positive and only complains about how there isn't a randomizer option for the upgrades, a nitpick, if you want my opinion but it's fair, games always can push it a little more, but I think design-wise it's fine as it is, randomizer would be a good optional bonus but that's it. And then you don't complain but actually spout a meme "style over substance", also hinting something against Japanese developers (which is what's discussed the most on /vr/).
Looks like typical /v/ bait over substance to me.
>>
>>3941754
>Look guys am I fitting in yet
>>
>>3941761
Well, you could look at it as bait, but it really isn't. I'm not asking for a randomizer, but a randomizer would make the game better. Actually, what would make the game even better than that is some degree of intentionality. The upgrades in this game are found by trial and error. It's not awful, but it could be a lot better, is the point I'm making. When I say style over substance, I mean the game pushes harder in the way of looking, sounding cool than having 10/10 gameplay.
>>
>>3941762
>Heh nothing personnell kid
>>
>>3941761
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the regular stages can become trivial when you've gotten a few of the upgrades. The fact that the game can start out really hard, but get extremely easy makes it feel like a power fantasy, hence style over substance as well.
>>
>>3941767
But I don't think finding the upgrades is trial and error. I found them by exploring and observing the stages, most of the times you go through a level and kill everything and go straight, then you re-enter them and play them differently, more slow-paced, and you observe the surroundings, that way I felt it was pretty natural design-wise, the secrets on this game were well thought out.
I think the gameplay is actually 10/10.
>>
>>3941770
>hence style over substance as well.
I don't see any "style over substance" there, you're just complaining about its difficulty curve, even having into account it's not a linear game.
You can play the game without getting any upgrade if you want, other than dash.
>>
>>3940763
X and X4 are god tier, X2 and X3 are shit tier
>>
>>3941778
Eh, fair enough, but as a consumer, I wish the game was more naturally challenging instead of me having to make my own fun.
>>
>>3941792
>nu-/v/
>>
>>3941801
>nu male
>>
>>3941804
You just aren't equipped to play games if you think in Megaman you need to make your own fun and it's style over substance
>>
>>3941792
Anyway all upgrades do is give you more health and stronger charger shots, which means some enemies will take a bit more hits to kill, and that you can't get hit too much, but the difficulty in this game lies in figuring out patterns and using the dash mechanic and wall jumping accordingly.
Also, not all consumers might be as good as you, MMX is a decently challenging game I think, not super hard "prepare to die edition", but puts up a challenge while still being fun.

If you want a critique of my own, I thought having to fight the mavericks again on the last level instead of having new bosses (like the D-Rex which was awesome) was a bit like padding, not only that but if you replay levels you can't fight them again there, only at the final level.
As for something I would like to be added, instead of a randomizer, I would ask for something more ambitious, secret alternate paths leading to new levels and new bosses.
But it's fine I mean, it would be cool but the game is still good as it is, I don't really mind the bossrush, I like it, but could have been new bosses, and I don't like not being able to fight them again on stages.
>>
>>3941809
You just aren't equipped to have a debate if you don't understand the other side of the argument.
>>
>>3941815
>Literally no u
>>
>>3941812
>If you want a critique of my own, I thought having to fight the mavericks again on the last level instead of having new bosses (like the D-Rex which was awesome) was a bit like padding, not only that but if you replay levels you can't fight them again there, only at the final level.

This is one reason I tend to think of X1-3, at least, are power fantasies. Making the regular levels easier after getting upgrades makes you go from being "weak" to being Goku-tier, in the Japan tradition. That's not inherently bad, but I'm not convinced that makes for good gameplay. Point being, the re-fights may contribute to the power fantasy because if you find their weaknesses, most of the bosses are trivial. Gravity Beetle is a joke, for instance.
>>
>>3941834
>power fantasies

Your posts still smell like bait.
>>
>>3941832
>no u
>>
>>3941839
Dunno what to tell you. They're not. Does it really seem strange for an Anon to critically dissect a Japanese entertainment product?
>>
>Let me convice you why you shouldn't enjoy these popular games

This is the worst kind of thread and I wish you never make a thread again.
>>
>>3941915
>OP is making me think too hard
>it must be bait
>>
>>3941923
>Don't question muh nostalgia.

This is the worst kind of response and I wish you wouldn't use reddit spacing.
>>
>>3941927
>complains about "reddit spacing"
>uses spacing

Anyway, OP's "complaints" are nitpicks and most of the points he makes about the game are positive, I don't see what's the fuzz about this thread. OP may seem shady but his trolling, if any, is so subtle it doesn't matter. His criticism already came across as subjective and questionable, not to say irrelevant.
>>
>>3941936
>reddit spacing
Stop forcing this meme
>>
>>3941936
The only people I've been trolling are the nostalgiafags or people responding with ad-hominems.
>>
>mods deleting criticism
Tell me again how this place is different to reddit?
>>
X1 was fine
X2 was a slight improvement
X3 was boring and tedious
X4 was lazy

Also X5 was even more lazy, and X6 was literally the only challenging PS1 X game (leaving that annoying nightmare system behind) and the only one i keep replaying from time to time
>>
>>3942049
>X6 was literally the only challenging PS1 X game (leaving that annoying nightmare system behind) and the only one i keep replaying from time to time
Fucking thank you, anon. I actually like the other X games myself, but X6 really is the only one that is even remotely challenging. People shit on it cus that's the meme, but it's the one I go back to the most.
>>
>>3942038
No name ties back to you on here, meaning you can say whatever you want with no thoughts of "what will people think?". This allows for true filter removal.
>>
>>3942307
Don't let people on internet fool you. X6, despise being hard as hell, is actually well loved out there.
>>
>>3941854
>critically dissect
>>
>>3942539

Truth be told, I’d rather suffer through Gate's Lab 2 than that blasted laser gauntlet in X5.
>>
>>3943051
>muh nostalgia
>>
File: obentou.jpg (180KB, 1024x460px) Image search: [Google]
obentou.jpg
180KB, 1024x460px
>>3943095
Quickman stage rehash? That one wasn't that bad to be honest. The one I despise the most is the bike stage. It's complete ass.
Funny since X4 has a bike stage twice as long, yet it's more playable.

As for X6, the only stage i despise is the trash shark stage and heatnix with his donuts. The latter one just because of that stupid donut on the rising lava, which is literally impossible to beat with vanilla X
>>
>>3940763
A "friend" stole my X4
>>
>>3944217
>be 17
>friend got X8
>ask him to lend me the game so i can test how good or bad PS2 emulation was on my toaster
>he says no, fearing i'll never give it back, and give me some shitty divegrass game
>1 week later a classmate ask him to borrow X8 for a while
>he gives it to him right away
>the game magically disappeared and never saw the light of day again.

Fuck him. Also PS2 emulation turned out to be ass, but then I found out the game was for PC too, and everything was good for me
>>
>>3941685

>MUH BUSTER ONLY

That shit is so fucking boring.

Do a weapon only run where you have to maintain ammo management as soon as you get your first weapon and then get back to me.
>>
About the difficulty: these games are pretty hard the first time you play them. It's intentional I think; it encourages you to replay them more as you discover things, until finally you have the optimal path worked out and you can go in and blow through the game in just a couple hours. And I like that. It's fun to go in and kick-ass against the bosses that used to fuck your shit up.

Anyways X1 is my favorite. Had the best music and had the best weapons. In X2 and X3 the weapons were mostly all useless and I would just use the buster the whole time outside bosses. Never played X4.
>>
X1 was just taking the classic Mega Man formula and adding light RPG elements because the genre was popular, as well as emphasizing that X is more advanced than Rock by adding wall climbing, as well as showing that the dash function IS something he's built with, even though he can't use it on his own initially.

X2 takes this and expands on the general gameplay, adding alternate paths and alternate story paths.

X3 tries to take elements from X1 and X2 and expand on both, while ALSO introducing new ideas, and as a result is too cluttered and messy.

It expand on X2's idea of story relevant minibosses that pop up halfway through, but mucks it up, resulting in lots of empty miniboss rooms, since unlike X2's X-Hunters, they aren't optional.

optional paths are back from X2, but instead of being unique stage alternate paths, each level has a teleporter to an optional stage and boss.

Taking a page from X2's alternate story paths however, whether or not you beat the special minibosses and optional boss with their weakness, determines what the first and second fortress bosses are.

there's collectibles now as well, in the form of Ride armors and upgrade chips

Zero is now playable, so there's an alternate playable character, but only half-playable, and the gimmick clashes with the way the stages are designed

Alternate endings are introduced, although they are just variations of the same general ending, and their implementation as far as player actions go, is poorly done, and just revolves around losing Zero in any way.

X3 is clunky because it tries too many gimmicks at once, trying to expand on old gimmicks, while also introducing NEW ones. In a way, it loses sight of the simplicity and straightforwardness of X1 and X2.
>>
>>3946943

X4 goes back to simplistic design, discarding most of the gimmicks previous games built up.

the most prominent gimmick is 2 fully playable characters.

taking a slight page from X3's "pick your upgrade" gimmick, it offers 2 different Buster parts you can switch between.

X4 introduces mandatory Mid-bosses, after you beat 4 main bosses

the ride chaser stages were turned into auto scrollers

after that, the only other real innovation is X and Zero having a unique mid-boss in the first fortress stage.

but aside from that X4 was very back to basics.

X5, much like X3, tries to bring back certain gimmicks while introducing new ones, and is again, a bit of a mess for it.

it refines X4's playable characters, and makes both playable in the same game. But it DOES penalize you depending on who you choose. Choose 1, and you loose access to a special feature of the other

It introduces a time limit. you have to beat the bosses within 16 hours, with each stage you enter lowering the timer by 1. reach 0, and you enter a bad story path.

X5 brings back alternate story paths with a vengeance, and has a good ending and a bad ending, but also different flavor routes to either, depending on which story relevant "mission" fails or succeeds.

But it also makes those missions completely RNG.

It brought back X3's chip upgrades, and attempted to refine the concept, but fails, as it tacks it onto a poorly explained system where by the higher the level of the boss you beat, the more likely you are to be able to choose upgrade chips.

it expands on X3's concept of collectibles, by introducing 3 separate armor sets, as opposed to just 1. (one of which you can start the game with if you start as X)

it does the "different fortress bosses" gimmick that X3 did, where depending who you were playing as, you fight the opposite character, but also tied it to story, where depending on what story path you were on, you fought one of 2 different versions of Zero
>>
>>3946978
it also introduces a fairly pointless ranking system that ultimately does nothing, but is also ranked backwards for X and Zero, Zero being based on efficiency and such, while X's is ranked on how few enemies he kills.

it also introduces another "collectible", rescuable reploids, scattered around the stages, who refill life and give you a 1 up when you save them.

bosses have levels, and level up depending on how low the timer is, which supposedly makes them more difficult, but in actuality just painfully bloats their health bar and nothing else. resulting in the boss rematches taking way too long.

X6 we all know is a mess, but for what it's worth...

It tried to take a spin on X1's environmental changes, where beating one boss affected another stage, by introducing different gimmick additions to each stage depending on what stage you visited last. it ultimately however is not as organic as X1's, and just comes off as often cheap, unfair, and frustrating.

it brings back X5's rescuable reploid system, this time tying the chip upgrade system to them, to mixed results considering they can now be killed by a unique gimmick enemy that litters stages. it also ties the parts system to your rank, finally giving that a use, so the higher the rank, the more parts you can equip
>>
>implying western games have any substance at all
>>
>>3947007
it brings back alternate paths from X2, but actually expands on them, making them actual alternate paths through stages. this is marred however, by the alternate boss gimmick of these stages.

the alternate paths all share 3 unique bosses. first is a fake Zero, and when beaten, he unlocks zero as a playable character. the second however, requires special weapons to beat, and if you dont have any, you are fucked. The third is just the mid-way boss from X5, and he constantly respawns, also to mixed results, since he can up your rank, but even if youve beaten the main boss, you cannot exit from alternate paths ever.

RNG is gone from the story department, and it is placed into one stage that has teleporters to random stage segments. this is interesting except for the fact that upgrades are hidden in one of them, meaning whether or not you get the room with the upgrades is entirely random.

thats about it for MAJOR stuff I think, I might be forgetting something, but that's the evolution of formula for the X games 1-6.

its clear X5 is where it went off the rails, not having learned a lesson from X3's issues.

/blog
>>
>>3941758

Source?
>>
File: 1471916858791.jpg (88KB, 488x659px) Image search: [Google]
1471916858791.jpg
88KB, 488x659px
>>3947016
>>implying western games have any substance at all
Were you seriously too much of a pussy to indicate who you're responding too?
>>
>>3947091
Not him, but he's quoting the OP.
>>
>>3943376
X5's bike stage has a problem which is the screen scrolls too fast for that one drop, which means unless you memorize the layout, means youll die,

and the energy items being obnoxious to collect
>>
>>3947203
Hmm, would Jet Stingray's stage have been more interesting if it wasn't an autoscroller, like Overdrive Ostrich?
>>
>>3943376
>Quickman stage rehash? That one wasn't that bad to be honest.
it is bad. it is literally unbeatable without dark hold unless you have the layout perfectly memorized and your moves already preplanned and memorized, because unlike MM classic, the camera is focused on the player, instead of being screen by screen like classic, where the brief pause between screens let you view all the lasers and plan your moves.

also im pretty sure the lasers are quicker. and wall clinging actually becomes a liability here, because of some of the narrow drops. you are trying to just filter through the stage drops quickly, and you instead cling to a wall, resulting in fucking up your run
>>
>>3947209
not really, because Stingray is a very linear level. it would need entirely different level design to work as a non-autoscroller. the level is basically designed entirely around being an autoscroller, with items and obstacles and paths placed accordingly
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.