[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>called everywhere as a 2d powerhouse >many multiplat 2d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

>called everywhere as a 2d powerhouse
>many multiplat 2d games looked like garbage on the saturn
>the good ones needed an extended ram cartridge to actually get some advantage

I'm starting to feel the Saturn was just overpraised by nostalgiafags.
>>
>>3939656

Here... I'll help you with your bait thread:

"metroidvania"
>>
Everyone knows the hardware was overly complicated with it's 2 CPUs competing for resources without much hardware or software support. To program efficiently against it was an accomplishment.

Of course multiplat games would look like shit.

I'm not defending the design of the Saturn, but it does have a fantastic library. Try exclusive titles.
>>
Street Fighter Alpha 2 can do the opening sequence all in sprites on the Saturn.
The PS1 port has an FMV of the opening, resulting in less quality image overall.
Also, in-game the PS1 is missing at least half the frames and it's noticeable, while the Saturn version, while not full, is pretty close to the arcade, to the point people were tricked into thinking it was arcade perfect back in the day.
Of course SFA2 on Saturn doesn't require any extra RAM.

Saturn is a good 2D system, this isn't up for debate.
>>
File: IMG_2491.png (21KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2491.png
21KB, 625x790px
>>3939656
>>3939663
>>
>>3939735
>Saturn is a good 2D system
At least compared to PS1 and N64.
>>
>>3939663
?????

Also SotN was ass on the Saturn
>>
>>3939751
I think devs just didn't try a lot of 2D on the N64 because it was a machine that was built mostly for 3D and that's what the consumers wanted back then, but it can do pretty nice 2D.
Wonder Project J2 is an early N64 title and it looks amazing.
>>
File: Shadow of the Beast (UE).png (20KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Beast (UE).png
20KB, 320x224px
So I had a few extra shekels lying around and picked up Shadow of the Beast for the Genesis at my local game store. Been playing it for a day or two now. What are your opinions on the adventures of this purple jew goblin thing?
>>
>>3939656
>>many multiplat 2d games looked like garbage on the saturn

You mean like, one?
>>
>>3939794

it's hard as fuck...Can't get far on the Amiga or Lynx version...

I mean WTF?
>>
>>3939806
I know for a fact that symphony of the night and megaman x4 look like ass compared to the playstation versions.
>>
>>3939818
I don't think X4 looked worse on Saturn than on PS1.
Also, shorter load times.
>>
>>3939794
It's absolute shit. No version of the Shadow of the Beast was ever good, and the irony is that one of the better versions is the ugly as sin C64 version because it toned down the ridiculous difficulty. The whole thing was Flash game level of badness even when it came out, but was excused for its graphics. Even by the 90s that changed and it was considered a turd by even the gaming media.

Presumably the reason it has had a weird resurgence lately is shilling for this pointless console remake. The only thing more disturbing than people claiming to like this stillborn mess is people pretending Great Giana Sister is "good" in a world where even impoverished Eastern Europeans can now play proper Mario games for free.

Wait this is Saturn thread.... Have I been Bamboozled?
>>
>>3939794

It's an awful game that people only bought because it looked pretty by 1989 standards.
>>
>>3939656
>i dont like how many multiplat 2d games look in my emulator
>>
>>3939814
Man, Amiga fans are probably going to disagree hard, but the Lynx has the best soundtrack hands down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultTCD9gZ3s
>>
>>3939794
SotB III is the only good one.
>>
>>3939834
What's wrong with the Great Giana Sisters?
>>
>>3939794
Terrible game. The most tolerable version is the Master System game and it still sucks.

The japanese Genesis version plays at the right speed (the american one is too fast) and has improved graphics but everything else is still trash.
>>
>>3939656
Meh, saturn is ok, but segafags.... jesus christ the fucking sega fags.

Every fandom tends to latch onto "that one thing". The thing that becomes legend, blown the fuck out of proportion, and seemingly endless legions of potentially delusional fanbois who won't stfu abiut how amazing it is.

Nintendo fans have OoT, Resident evil fans have RE4, FF has FFVII, and sega's thing is the saturn.
It's no better than anything else released by sega, but the raving fanbois will tell you it won the fifth gen, solidly fucking sony and nintendo up their asses and becomming the greatest console of all time.
They then "back that up" with comparisons between launch titles (totally ignoring later relases on other platforms), jp only games, ports and 2d. None of witch means dick to anyone other than segafags.
>>
>>3939998
You sound mad.
Upset that Saturn emulation is shit and you can't afford hardware?
Frustrated you're too retarded to read START when written in romaji to play those jap exclusive games?
Offended that people enjoy playing ports with CD quality sound as the developers didn't originally intend?
Do sharp 2d pixels lacerate your underage corneas made soft by years of soft blurry N64 abuse?
All of the above?
Sounds like the Saturn just ain't for you.
>>
>>3940048
>Do sharp 2d pixels lacerate your underage corneas made soft by years of soft blurry N64 abuse?
not him but I like both N64 and Saturn.
Sounds like you're also mad that N64 emulation sucks.
>>
>>3939998
>jp only games
>and 2d
What's wrong with 2d games and JP only games?
>>
Saturn is literally the Vita of consoles
>>
>>3940458
That's PC-FX and late PCE releases.
>>
>>3940460
I didnt even realize there was a successor to the PCE

Is there anything worth playing on it?
>>
>>3939656
in the us, it was ass, but everywhere else: it was cool
>>
>>3940423
Sounds like you have an imagination so wild it borders on a clinical problem.
>>
>>3939818

There are several reasons for SotN looking and running as shittily as it did. Most of those are just extensions of the fact it was a rushed port.
>>
>>3940048

Saturn emulation is just fine. Don't be a dick.

And thank the great Rhyphecha next time you stop fucking your body pillow for more than 2 seconds.
>>
>>3940465

Not that I'm aware. It got what some consider to be the penultimate version of Castlevania (I forget which one, was never a series fan), but other than that, just an endless stream of visual novel games and eroge.

Unfortunately, NEC thought the console that could play the best cinematics was going to win the next gen, and that's the PC-FX's only strength- a kickass MJPEG decoder. It can't do 3D at all.
>>
>>3940048
>Saturn emulation is shit
Nice meme from 2001.
>>
>>3939818
also Doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-C3KM5b6A
>>
File: negeo.jpg (29KB, 594x380px) Image search: [Google]
negeo.jpg
29KB, 594x380px
step aside for the real 2d king
>>
>>3942145
Duke Nukem 3D on Sega Saturn plays way better than the PS1 version.
Though the PS1 version is a complete shit port job.
>>
>>3942153
Duke 3D on Saturn used a different engine and they even added in lighting effects, but the game was cut down heavily as a result, I'm talking less music, voices, levels, level details, interactivity, scripting, no rotating sectors, no transports/subways, and it had that awful auto crouching.
>>
>>3942172
Duke 3d on saturn was rushed out in favor of quake which got more care
>>
>>3940934
It was just tongue in cheek joke referencing this actual autist right here: >>3940048
>>
>>3942151
>snk fighting games, metal slug and golf

Eh, it's ok. But it has no Super Robot Wars. What kind of bullshit is that?
>>
>>3939998
This is better than any playstation RPG
>>
>>3939794
Terrible game, but the surreal world and monster design and how many monsters there was is great, and it had an excellent sound track.

If they made it more linear along with actual good hit detection it might be a bit more revered like Splatterhouse which was also bare bones but wasn't fundamentally broken and another game in which its style really carried it.
>>
>>3942582
lol
>>
>>3940465
The Zenki game for it is probably the best game on the machine... and it's still kind of shit. Looks gorgeous, though.

>>3942220
honestly, I love the Neo
but god, I wish it had more library variety beyond fighters

really wished there was a game that used the sprite scaling (well, shrinking -- the Neo hardware deliberately can't zoom sprites to be larger, avoiding big chunky pixels) to deliver something similar to Sega's Super Scaler games.
There's Riding Hero, but that game is raw fucking ass.
>>
>>3940964
>>3942125
>ITT deluded kids
>>
>>3939764
Spoonfeeding: a lot of people here say Metroidvanias aren't a real genre
>>
>>3943132
it's a retarded term.
>>
>>3939839
music and setting are nice
>>
>>3939794
Typical eurotrash. Tries to impress with its technology but playing it makes you wonder if the makers ever played a real video game. Euros should've just stuck to making and masturbating to demos.
>>
>>3942691

Don't you have a "Sexy Women in Retro Games" thread to be shitposting in?
>>
>>3939794
Terrible game with pretty graphics for the time, that was the main appeal.

Back then japanese games > abysm > european games > american games.

>>3939834
Great Giana Sister is good, though. At least the DS remake I've played.

Acceptable SMB-clone.
>>
>>3939656

You fell for the meme.
>>
>>3940465
Aren't there only 5 games ever made for PC-FX?
>>
>>3943997

Nope. Well, depends on your definition of "game" I suppose. Quite a lot of eroge and visual novels.
>>
>>3939998
>Resident evil fans have RE4
>>
File: burger.png (44KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
burger.png
44KB, 1000x1000px
>>3943560
>Burger claiming Euro games were trash

Like you ever did good /vr/ games.

Nips:best gameplay
Europans:best audiovisuals
Burgers:shit
>>
>>3944315
Doom
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.