[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If this had come out before DKC2 then it would've been the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 44

File: Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg (299KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg
299KB, 500x345px
If this had come out before DKC2 then it would've been the classic while 2 would've been the forgotten one

You know its true
>>
File: nsdos226.gif (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
nsdos226.gif
4KB, 256x224px
It's time to let go, anon.
>>
>>3938326
Wasn't this forgotten because it came out in 1996 and the SNES was long dead?
>>
>>3938326

I've been playing it recently, and it is a very fun game, but the reason it has been forgotten is because the main characters are annoying.

Play as either:
1. Literally a screaming baby.
2. Meg Griffin Diddy Kong.
>>
File: 1409282478894.jpg (88KB, 689x649px) Image search: [Google]
1409282478894.jpg
88KB, 689x649px
>>3938339
Don't diss Dixie, she's cool.
>>
>>3938326
Not really, too much gimicky stages and overall slower pace.

It's a fine game, just the weakest of the trilogy.
>>
>>3938341
Why does this girl look like Shinku from Rozen Maiden?
>>
>>3938352
DKC2 was all about gimmick stages.
>>
>>3938369
But the gimmicks were fun.
>>
DKC3 is a good game and you know it.

People say they hate Kiddy as if THAT is enough to make a shitty game.
The music is good and the variety of levels is pretty nice. Is as good as the other two games.
>>
>>3938393
Nobody said it was bad, just lackluster.
>>
>>3938393
It just makes me want to play the first two they're just so good.
>>
>>3938331
There were a bunch of great SNES games in '96.
>>
>>3938369
Indeed.

DKC1 > DKC2 > DKC3
>>
>>3938409
Sure, but by then everyone had moved on to the N64 and Playstation.
>>
If only they could re-release a special edition where Kiddy is replaced by Donkey, and the story is about rescuing Diddy (a nice reversal of the DKC2 story).
Maybe include some of the David Wise music from the GBA version
>>
>>3938415
Doesn't mean people didn't still have their SNES around, it's not like people trash their old consoles whenever a new one comes out
>>
>>3938393
It should be agreed that it is at least AS good as the other 2
>>
I dunno, I love the third one. The levels were the perfect balance of gimmicky and challenging like the first DKC. DKC2 had the most character and charm but it was frustrating and hard as shit. After playing 2, 3 felt like the medicine that I needed to soothe the burns 2 gave me. They were love burns though
>>
>>3938326

I would MAYBE have complained that the map was a step backwards but that's it. DKC2 is better in just about every way and saying otherwise heavily implies you've played about 2 levels in each or not at all.

DKC3 was spectacularly easy too which could be another telling clue about where your terrible statement originated.
>>
as i now understand, DKC3 was developed by a B-team of sorts, while Rare's A-team was getting started on N64 projects.

Anyway, I still loved DKC3, it was comfy af
>>
>>3938707

>comfy as fuck

DAFUQ? It's HARD as fuck, my nigga.
>>
>>3938710
Are you sure that reply wasn't meant for >>3938628?

>>3938438
This here, I got a N64 at launch and I still got a ton of SNES games after that. Gaming mags and most "trendy" people moved on but a lot of people kept playing on older systems or even more after more time had passed. Ironically, I've been playing more SNES and NES games than N64 ones for a long time even if the N64 was my favorite console during its run.
>>
It felt like a lot of rejected concepts from the first two games brought up again to fill a third. It wasn't bad and a testament to Rare at the time that their "B-Team" game was fairly decent. Andrew Collard and Paul Weaver just didn't have the eye that Gregg Mayles had for making levels unique but not having the gimmicks piss people off (Fuck Poison Pipeline forever. Worst level in the series).

DKC2 was also a bit more experimental in Rare wanting to do something a bit more like 80's kids films so it was a lot wilder, diverse and full of mystery. One of the stories they had on the old scribes section was that the Kremland rollercoaster levels was inspired by one of the staffers going into work though Twycross and seeing this dangerous and decrepit looking Fun Fair had rolled into town and got the idea. A "Research Trip" was quickly organized and after everyone managed to survive, they came up with the levels.
>>
>>3938326
DKC3 was the worse easily
>>
I prefer DKC3 to the first two.
>>
Real dk fans like all the games, even dk64.
>>
File: 1344234671157.jpg (129KB, 733x850px) Image search: [Google]
1344234671157.jpg
129KB, 733x850px
>>3938326

Back when i was a kid, i loved the second game, enjoyed the first game and hated the third one because of all the baby shit in it. I liked how it's was Dixie turn to have her own game, but it's felt too kiddish at the time compared to the other two

I gave it another try some years ago and it's was pretty alright
>>
DKC2 still would have been better.
>>
>>3938947
I never felt like that. It was just like "okay so there's some new baby kong, whatever, let's play the new DKC!"
>>
File: 1423425219025.gif (2MB, 400x174px) Image search: [Google]
1423425219025.gif
2MB, 400x174px
>>3938326
This is my favorite of the series.
It plays better than 1, and having a heavy and a light character gives better options for levels than 2.
Also, the secrets are better than the other two.
As for the music, it's about equal to the other two.
The Cave, Factory, and Forest, and Waterfall tunes are especially nice.
>>
>>3938707

The DKC2 team was making Banjo Kazooie while DKC3 was being made.

If you look in the credits for DKC3 the guys from the DKC2 team are in the "special thanks" section
>>
>>3939990
And here I am, with the (probably in the minority)opinion that DKC3 outshines the Banjo games wholesale.

pls bully if u want, dgaf
>>
I used to own the sheet music for this game which was VERY rare to come by. Got it at a con for only $10. I actually sold it to a guy who works for NetherRealm Studios. It was a gift for one of his co-workers who was a huge Donkey Kong fan.
>>
>>3940030
More pics of the sheet music
>>
>>3940030
>>3940035
Wicked cool.
>>
>>3940036
Its funny the guy who sold it to me at the con mistook it for a strategy guide. He never knew it was sheet music.
>>
>>3940001
Banjo sucks tho
>>
DKC3 was the beginning of the end for RARE taking the collectathon concept too far.

That and having cheap, uninteresting levels and poor boss fights. The only worse boss fights in the series are Dumb Drum and Kudgel
>>
Don't really consider any of the DKC games to be classics. Always felt like they were "just OK" and tried to make up for that mediocrity with the pre-rendered graphics.
>>
3's problem was that it deviated too far from the recognizable concepts that 1 and 2 had established. The bees made perfect sense - they were a normal animal found in nature so they fit right in to the primal jungle theme. The buzzsaw robot things in 3 are just... no...

The DK Koin gimmick was too much of a gimmick to include in EVERY SINGLE LEVEL. How am I going to bounce a steel barrel off of a wall this time? -_- It made matters worse when it was a non-regenerating steel barrel so if you timed it wrong you had to do the entire level again each try. Moments like that were some of DKC2's only flaws - like in Web Woods with the DK coin at the end, you need to not get hit the entire level and if you mistime the coin you have to do the entire level over again. It was tedious, not challenging.

The 'baby' theme also hurt it, as many players were teenagers or young adults at the time of release and you weren't exactly proud to show a baby game to your friends. First off Kiddie is universally unpopular, the gameover screen is literally Dixie and Kiddie being put into a crib for a timeout and 'GAME OVER" is spelled out in baby letter blocks. The music for the 1st world has exaggerated brass and xylophone sounds - commonplace in children's TV shows. Add in the soft color palette and lack of harsh, gritty settings and the whole thing just feels very tame.
>>
>>3940156
Someone never got gud, rolling multiple enemies and going fast in these games is the most satisfying thing
>>
>>3940071
Have you not played the bosses on dkc1
>>
It's not a terrible game in and of itself but I don't like it near as much as the other two entries in the series. The enemies, the level design, the general aesthetic of the game just feels really second-rate. And the music, ugh...
>>
>>3940201
I don't see a point in trying to "git gud" when hitboxes are completely fucked, rolls pretty much always end right before you hit an enemy, and controls are unresponsive.
>>
File: 1318809662700.jpg (21KB, 336x269px) Image search: [Google]
1318809662700.jpg
21KB, 336x269px
>>3940457
>DKC games
>bad controls
Where do you people come up with this shit? I mean, lying for contrarianism's sake?
>SCIV is a shitty game >:(
>DKC3 has shitty gameplay >:(
>Sanic is just press right to win >:(
>Treasure made shitty games >:(
>I'm a faggot, please rape my face >:)
Only one of the above greentexts is true.
PROTIP: Yes, it's that one.
>>
>>3940457
hold the fuck up
u playin the real games or on emulator?
>>
>>3940478
I'm not lying. The DKC games were among the first of a new breed of platformer in the 90s with multiple frames of animation for turning around. Those few frames spent on turning before your character movement changes makes all of the difference in the world when it comes to precision. Instead of feeling like I am in control of my character at all times, it feels like the game is taking control away from me. Yoshi's Island has the same issue. Taking control away from the player is a big no-no for platformer games that demand instant reflexes.

By the way, the only one of those greentexts that is true is that DKC3 has shitty controls (so do the other DKC games).

>>3940480
I've played them on my SNES and on an emulator and have had the same issues on both.
>>
>>3940521
now you're just baiting
name a better platformer on snes than donkey kong
>>
>>3940546
Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Mega Man X1-3, Super Castlevania IV, Plok, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, Super Mario World, Super Adventure Island, Skyblazer, Claymates, Mickey's Magical Quest 1-3, Joe & Mac 1-2, etc.

I rate the DKC games about a tier above complete trash like Bubsy.
>>
File: Mummy_Cat_MSA_idle.gif (32KB, 78x90px) Image search: [Google]
Mummy_Cat_MSA_idle.gif
32KB, 78x90px
>>3940604
Not that anon but DKC is always one of those go-to games for me. It's platforming is nothing to be scoffed at. I would rate it even higher than SMW.
>>
>>3940604
>KSS, TTA:BBL, SAI
They're good but not as fun as DKC
>KDL3, MMX1-3, SCIV
no
>SMW
agreed
>the rest
haven't played or heard of
>>
>>3940612
I'm not even that big of a fan of SMW (I feel like it's the weakest retro 2D Mario), yet I would still rather play it over any DKC game.

I've never been able to get into the DKC games no matter how many times I've tried since 1994.
>>
File: 1411471604059.jpg (50KB, 456x453px) Image search: [Google]
1411471604059.jpg
50KB, 456x453px
>>3940623
That is most unfortunate anon. Whenever someone reminds me of the DKC series I always feel the need to revisit the first and second game. The new ones aren't anywhere close to how good they feel in my opinion.

But hey, if you don't like 'em then there's no helping it.
>>
>>3938326

Why does every OST rip of this game has a beeeping noise in the background? Am I the only one that hears it?
>>
it's great but it wasn't what people were expecting, I think people wanted more grim dark and epicness that the series seemed like it was ramping up to but dkc3 was very kid oriented. kiddy kong is just like, why the character. he shouldn't have been playable, or he should have been swappable with either diddy or DK.
>>
>>3941486
Yeah DK should have really been playable
Out of all the kongs including the ones from 64 kiddy is the least popular one by a lot
>>
>>3940521
what the fuck are you on about anon, nearly every good platformer has the same deal with horizontal momentum, you just didn't notice it in other games because there isn't an animation. in fact if you've ever played one without that you would probably notice it because not having horizontal momentum is INCREDIBLY jarring and actually makes the game feel way worse.
>>
>>3940030
>>3940035
If I didn't have such a good listening memory I would have wanted to get this so badly. Did it contain all the scores for the OST?
>>
>>3941492
don't bother, he's either arin hanson or another person with a retard brain like arin hanson that finds donkey kong incredibly difficult so it "sucks" or has "shit controls" he probably never considered to hold down the run button or any sort of strategy in approaching the game because it's not a hyper autismal game like mega man.
>>
>>3938339
Then why do people like Donkey Kong Country 2?

Play as either:
1. Poochy the Dog
2. Poochy the Dog's girlfriend
>>
>>3938369
DKC: 33 levels of which 15 were gimmick levels - gimmick ratio: 45.45%
DKC2: 39 levels of which 23 were gimmick levels - gimmick ratio: 58.97%
DKC3: 40 levels of which 29 were gimmick levels - gimmick ratio: 72.50%
>>
>>3941524
dixie is fucking wizard as a sidekick. now you're playing as two sidekicks.
>>
>>3941526
How are you deciding that those levels are gimmick ones? Besides, what's the deal having "gimmicky" stages? Would you rather have a game like Super Mario Bros.1 where almost every level looks the same?
>>
>>3941531
I just made an observation and based it on what fits in my personal definition of 'gimmick'
And like you asked, what's the deal having gimmicks? They're absolutely fine in my opinion, and definitely fun. I recently replayed the trilogy and actually started wondering if the games would be even half as fun if there were no gimmicks. A new mechanic/level-specific special trope must be introduced every now and then, otherwise it gets too stale/mario-y
>>
>>3938326
DKC 3>DKC 1>DKC 2
not kidding it is the best one physics and gameplay-wise
>>
>>3938326
You're wrong, you're so wrong, DKC3 is shit.
>>
>>3938326
DKC 3 was developed by the B-team and it shows.

>lower quality music, at times even irritating, first level is especially bad sounding
>unlikable new main character, both Diddy and Donkey not present
>slow and medium speed playable characters only, no fast one
>cumbersome level design, makes you wait, punishes you for going fast
>ugly new enemy designs, ugly reoccurring enemy redesigns
>legitimately full on incompetent animation, new enemy walk cycles look horrendous
>lame new animal buddies, rad animal buddies from previous games omitted
>ugly level backgrounds, the snow levels look especially bad compared to DKC1
>annoying bears that all look the fucking same
>Cranky in diminished role, boring Wrinkly as main side character
>tedious banana bird search and minigame, lame final ending
>secret world isn't mysterious

Yeah, nah. It's just a much lower quality game than DKC 1&2. The time of the release has nothing to do with the general dislike for this game. It was a big letdown.
>>
>>3940071
You're so wrong man just for the meme.
>>
>>3941492
You aren't understanding my post at all. Stand still in Donkey Kong Country and change the direction your character is facing. There are a few frames of animation before they start moving. That's a serious problem and it's exacerbated when you actually start moving around and try playing the game.
>>
File: 3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>3941860
Wrong.

While it is correct that there are frames for turning, you start moving as soon as you press the button, while you are still turning. This makes it so that you can actually slide across the floor in a moonwalk like fashion if you keep pushing left and right alternately but hold one just a few milliseconds longer than the other. DKC also has a lot less inertia than SMB for example, which makes the controls much more responsive. Try coming to a full stop or changing direction from a full run in Super Mario, it takes forever. In Donkey Kong it is almost instantly but it does seem to slow you down back to walk speed from run speed for a moment.
>>
>>3938438
>it's not like people trash their old consoles whenever a new one comes out

you dare say that in the face of the Switch and Wii U?
>>
>>3938326
this game kept the ceiling up long enough for a few more sweet games to come out before Nintendo fully forced it's N64 agenda on the market
>>
>>3938326
new question
How come I find this more astehticly appealing than the returns series.
What made DKC so radically different
>>
I hate Funky in the first 2 games. Limiting world to world movement was dumb, especially since they also limit saving in 2 with the coin gimmick. The map is the number 1 thing DKC3 got right.
>>
Why did they put in an original kong instead of Donkey Kong? If they had put in Donkey Kong than Dixie, Diddy and Donkey would have been in two games each.
>>
I fucking hated the elephant levels with the mice.
>>
>>3938326

Thats bullshit because

>there are acknowledged games of the end era of the SNES
>Diddy>Baby
>DKC3 is too colourful
>DKC2 has better leveldesign
>Soundtrack of 2 is better

I played both games about 2 years ago for the first time and i must say that dkc2 is one of the top 5 SNES games i can replay it everyday.
DKC 3 overdid everything a little while 2 feels just right.
>>
DKC 3 is not a good game.
>>
DKC3 is a good game
DKC2 is a better game

DKC1 is historically important, and has great nostalgic value, but I have no desire to play it again
>>
>>3945958
>but I have no desire to play it again
Why? It is a much better game than DKC3 with much greater replay value.

How come people who defend DKC3 almost always resort to diminishing the first game? Is there something about it that legitimately makes people with the kind of weird taste to like DKC3 to dislike it? Or is it just a strategic move they use to try and alleviate the general dislike for their beloved piece of shit by attacking what they see as a weak target, because DKC2 is most people's favorite, so they try to shit on DKC1 to make DKC3 stink less in comparison to the entirety of the trilogy. Is that it? are you trying to meme your shit game into second place instead of distant third where it belongs?

DKC1 is a great game that is simple and fun, it has a great variety of themes and locations
DKC2 is a great game that is more complex and moody, it follows a strong theme at the cost of greater variety
DKC3 is a failed game, all the new things are bad, the only good things about it are the few that are carried on unchanged from its infinitely superior predecessors

I don't know what kind of damage you suffer from that you like DKC3 so much but realize that you are wrong and have bad taste in video games.
>>
>>3943263
Returns is full cartoony while the OG Country is a mix of realistic environments with cartoony but somewhat grounded in reality characters thrown in.
>>
File: image7.jpg (310KB, 604x1285px) Image search: [Google]
image7.jpg
310KB, 604x1285px
>>3938326
It stands up there with the other two no idea why cucks shit on it
>no i would not like more DKC levels
Why tho
>>
>>3940208
Bosses in DKC1 are simple yet actually enjoyable and reward skillfull play. Apart from Dumb Drum which I just mentioned because that just throws normal enemies on you and then just suicides at the end.

DKC3's bosses are just an irritation at best, on par with Krugel
>>
>>3946393
>Why tho

>here's your additional DKC levels
>no, you can't play your favorite character
>no, they're not designed by the same level designer
>no, you can't switch those ugly enemy redesigns back
>no, that annoying elephant is here to stay and you have to use it
>no, you can't skip these ridiculous gimmick levels
>yes, we are going to charge you the full price of a new game tho

Why indeed.
>>
>>3946393
>It stands up there with the other two
>inferior level design, music, bosses, ending, and excess focus on gimmicks
>>
I love them all
>>
>>3938326
probably not. DKC3 has a lot of crappy levels, the music isn't as good, the world map and those dumb bears you trade with are stupid, kiddy kong is annoying. It's too easy.
>>
File: 1475426875181.jpg (11KB, 214x286px) Image search: [Google]
1475426875181.jpg
11KB, 214x286px
>Current year
>Still no romhack that replaces Kiddy with either Donkey or Diddy

You can find a hack of Sonic 1 for practically every character in the series but we're still stuck with this as it released? Fucking internet.
>>
>>3938326
One of my problems with 3 is that its just boring thematically. 1 gives you these really atmospheric tropical environments and a sense of progression as you climb DK Island. 2 is darker with more creative levels and a unique pirate theme.

3 doesn't give you that sense of progression as you ride around, and the theme is basically "Canada", which is kind of a letdown.
>>
File: Kritter.gif (6KB, 72x72px) Image search: [Google]
Kritter.gif
6KB, 72x72px
DKC1
>>
File: Klomp.gif (7KB, 71x107px) Image search: [Google]
Klomp.gif
7KB, 71x107px
DKC2
>>
File: kobble.gif (5KB, 48x55px) Image search: [Google]
kobble.gif
5KB, 48x55px
DKC3
>>
>>3947256
>>3947262
>>3947265
Look at these animations, OP. They perfectly exemplify why DKC1&2 are timeless masterpieces while DKC3 is an autism magnet, liked only by shit taste having retards, who are drawn to incompetence and low quality shit. If you think the third one is the best, you should kill yourself for the good of mankind.
>>
>>3947265
That fucking drop in quality.
>>
>>3947256
>>3947262
>>3947265
Isn't it common knowledge that Rare's B-team got to work on DKC3 while everyone else was getting ready for the N64?
>>
tfw i traded my megaman x3 for dkc3 with a classmate around 1997
>>
>>3947265
It looks like a cheap Messenger emoji.
>>
>>3946945
Apparently there's no readily made tool to hack DKC, and Kiddy has over 200 unique sprites that would all need to be edited by hand via hex.
>>
>>3947897
Huh? Have you actually ever been so far as having bothered to even look for them yourself or nah? There's romhacks for all three games. There's even a fanmade DKC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb9-4qLYHqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skmSL4HtpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMSX6V2woP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ggO6vEwZU
>>
It was an enjoyable game, but for some reason setting the game in Donkey Kong Canada felt really offputting. The music wasn't as memorable IMO. The item barter idea and overworld interactivity as well as the transport units was nice, but it still wasn't as memorable as the first two games.
>>
>>3947941
Damn, bro, that one where they totally didn't swap Kiddy out for another Kong sure put me in my place.
>>
>>3947989
Well there are hacking tools anyway. Shouldn't be too far fetched to remove the little twerp.
>>
>>3946945
mattrizzle is working on hacking Donkey Kong to replace Dixie in DKC2 so there's that

>>3947897
there are multiple tools for DKC series hacking. Insanely good editors for DKC1 and DKC2, but only a preliminary editor for DKC3.

>>3948001
to be fair, >>3947897 is kinda right. it was discussed at http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2002&p=38672
>>
>>3948043
>mattrizzle is working on hacking Donkey Kong to replace Dixie in DKC2 so there's that
Why would anyone do that?
>>
>>3945975
Hi friend, I was not diminishing the first game. I fully acknowledge its strengths, I was simply expressing my personal subjective attitude toward it at this moment in time
>>
>that blood curdling scream when the big blue homie gets knocked in to the abyss
you know the one
>>
File: dkc3bel1.jpg (21KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
dkc3bel1.jpg
21KB, 256x224px
If there's one thing DKC3 outdid the others in, it was the bosses.
>>
>>3948154
>>
File: Squirt-boss-stage.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Squirt-boss-stage.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>3948156
>>
File: kaos.png (47KB, 553x462px) Image search: [Google]
kaos.png
47KB, 553x462px
>>3948157
Overall much more impressive. The ones in the first two games were pretty underwhelming.
>>
>>3948162
DKC1 bosses seemed like an afterthought, there wasn't much effort put into them. They didn't really stand out negatively or positively. Except for the K Rool bossfight on the pirate ship, that one was seriously atmospheric, challenging and fun. Also a very good segueway to the sequel.

DKC2 bosses had much more effort and thought put into them. They were all varied in their attacks and fit much better thematically with they stages they resided over. A huge improvement over the bosses of the previous game.

DKC3 bosses are as amateurish as the rest of the game. They went way out there with the concepts, trying to be creative but more often than not really missed the mark. I'm not impressed with them.

>>3948154
This boss is no threat at all. Even the first boss in DKC1 has a better chance of killing you. I hardly even consider this a boss fight, it's more of a timed throwing contest. This thing has no offense, bad game design.
>>3948156
This one is alright.
>>3948157
Ugliest and most out of place looking boss thing in all the games. Frustrating because of instant fall deaths and tedious because it takes so long to complete its attack, making you wait a long time in between its vulnerability phases.
>>3948162
Easy and boring.
>>
File: KiddyEllie.jpg (50KB, 600x584px) Image search: [Google]
KiddyEllie.jpg
50KB, 600x584px
>>3948076
DKC doesn't derive its quality from historical importance or nostalgic value, if these are a factor at all, then they are purely an added bonus on top of the game's intrinsic value of high quality gameplay, graphics, soundtrack and overall mood. DKC1 is a very good game by any standard, DKC3 is not, as has been demonstrated over and over in this thread by many good arguments and undeniable proof of DKC3's irrefutable inferiority.
>>
File: 502.jpg (19KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
502.jpg
19KB, 351x359px
>>3948043

>mattrizzle is working on hacking Donkey Kong to replace Dixie in DKC2 so there's that

What the fuck is he smoking? Why someone would want to make the best game worse instead of making the worse game better I'll never understand.
>>
>>3948043
This is hilarious to me.
>>
>>3948859
my best guess is that because DKC2 was built upon DKC, "porting" Donkey to the second game is much easier.
I'm not saying "they use the same engine" but it's likely that DKC and DKC2 development had the same workflow and toolchains used to get sprites from the SGI machines to something the SNES can understand.
If the sprites are in the same format, it's more or less a copypaste job with a lot of pointer fixing. Maybe DKC3 was different?
>>
The original Donkey Kong Country is an overrated game with some of the most bland, disappointing boss fights I've ever encountered.

2 & 3 are much better.
>>
It isn't bad at all, but the first two set the bar way too high.
It didn't feel as atmospheric and not being able to play as Diddy makes me very sad.
>>
>>3948886
Its game kino tho
>>
File: 1477292477916.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477292477916.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>3947336
damn
>>
>>3947336
Thats actually a good trade for the time
>megaman
Gross dude
>>
>>3948886
>Donkey Kong Country
>overrated game
It's actually rather underrated because everybody is always praising DKC2 so much.

Ironically, it's the worst game of the series, DKC3, that is overrated because of the vocal minority of misguided people like you, who constantly keep defending that piece of trash.
>>
>>3948947
it'd be a better situation for someone who didn't like megaman
>>
>>3948947
>liking DKC3
>thinking megaman is gross
You've got some of the worst taste imaginable.
>>
File: here's a fuckin cat.jpg (64KB, 403x373px) Image search: [Google]
here's a fuckin cat.jpg
64KB, 403x373px
>>3938326
>>3938326

I don't know why people have always shit on Donkey Kong Country games, and 3 in particular.

That was a big thing even in the 90's I guess because some jap at nintendo said OMG POOR GAMEPLAY or some shit? I've always enjoyed them and thought they were great platformers. The first one is my least favorite, I thought it was good when it came out, but the 2nd one blew it out of the water. So fun, and plenty hard in the castle levels at the end. I enjoyed finding hidden shit and even the gimmick minecart levels. If there's ONE level in 2 I fuckin hate its the lantern fish level with the crates. Fuck that level.

3 is great too. I think the forest levels were a fuckin blast, and I enjoyed the shit out of the water levels in that game. The art is more colorful and upbeat, which was nice. A very worthy and equal successor to #2. Fuckin obnoxious level in this one was that shitty fuckin rocket level. Fuck that noise. I actually didn't mind the wind/parrot/vines level, as hard as it was, it was fun. Or was that a level from 2? Can't remember. Anyways, 2 & 3 are both a blast. 1 is good too, but not on the same level.
>>
>>3949345
3 was made by a B team and it shows.
>>
>>3949345
You should replay them and see how reality stacks up compared to your memories.
>>
>>3948961
Megaman sucks mega dick
>>
>>3949345
>A very worthy and equal successor
It really isn't, though it's not as terrible as people make it out to be.
>>
observations
>nobody likes all three games equally
>the second game is liked by all
>people who like 3 dismiss 1
>people who like 1 despise 3
>>
>>3942294
I'm still playing my Wii U daily and have so many games for it I'll probably have to keep going for a couple more years at the very least.
>>
>>3945975
Truer words were never written on /vr/.
>>
>>3948870
I just think matrizzle doesn't have a lot of interest in working on DKC3 related projects which makes sense considering it sucks

You can't "fix" it by swapping out a single characters, there's so much more wrong
>>
>>3949474
That's understandable. It's still jarring to make the effort to put Donkey in DKC2. Diddy and Dixie are a great team. It doesn't feel like Donkey is missing from the game, it feels like it's Diddy and Dixie's game. The whole game is designed around Diddy's speed and Dixie's helicopter glide though, so unless he wants to just add Donkey and make it a three player game, replacing Dixie with Donkey is going to require some level editing too.

What makes DKC3 feel like Donkey is missing from it is that it has a heavy character that is so unlikable. Like, fuck, if you want to put in a heavy, bring back Donkey. It also felt weird to have the titular character missing from not one but two out of three games. Once was okay and it is easy to forgive DKC2 because it's such a near perfect fucking game, but a second time and for a game that's not all that to begin with? Not cool.
>>
>>3947262
how i walk irl
>>
>>3948886
>playing DKC for the boss fights
>>
>>3948154
>>3948156
>>3948157
These are some of the weakest bosses in the trilogy, alongside Dumb Drum and Kudgel.
>>
>>3947301

Not even getting ready, the N64 had already been out for half a year and the DKC3 has numerous references to Mario 64 as a little promotion. All of the key players from Rare would've been working on Project Dream/Banjo, KI Gold, Blast Corps, GoldenEye - their A team was more than occupied in the first year. By the same logic you didn't see Capcom's best working on Mega Man 6 when X was coming out in less than a month.
>>
>>3949459
>I'm still playing my Wii U daily
Me too, and with Coolboot Haxchi I don't see myself stopping any time soon.
>>
DKC3 doesn't really have that "flow" that DKC 1 and 2 level design has. That is, that sort of hard to describe way that all the obstacles in the level will kind of just be in the right place for you do do everything as fast as possible as long as you react to it quickly enough, which went a long way of alleviating the typical 16 bit platformer problem of being too zoomed in to see much of where you're going.
>>
>>3949923
DKC3 is littered with gimmick levels that make you wait for the gimmick, like the slow ass doors in the second level.
>>
>>3949953
what do you mean by 'waiting' ?
Doorstop Dash and that burning rope vertical autoscroller made you 'wait' but then again Castle Crush in DKC2 and Mine Cart levels in all games made you 'wait' too
>>
>>3950257
By waiting I mean waiting, as in having to wait on the game to allow you to go further, all while doing nothing but waiting.

>Doorstop Dash
Like I said, this is the perfect example. All it does is low you don't, you don't even have to time an enemy threat. You have to wait on a fucking door. They could have made it so you hit a switch and the door slams open, but no, they make you wait. It's a big fuck you to the player. The game hit you with the most boring first level, with arguable the worst background music to greet you, followed by the second level with a design mechanic that's just the opposite of fun.

>burning rope vertical autoscroller
>Castle Crush in DKC2
Those levels set a pace, that itself is not necessarily making you wait as you constantly have to watch out for what is coming next, so you have something to do.

>Mine Cart levels in all games made you 'wait' too
What? You need to explain to me how mine cart levels are making you wait. That makes absolutely no sense to me. They go fast nonstop. They're the opposite of making you wait, they don't allow you to stop at all.

All of the games had some slower passages, the platform rides in DKC1 and the balloon rides in DKC2 (both among my least favorite levels of the whole series) come to mind, or simply just level passages in levels where the default enemy placing and terrain doesn't allow you to keep running and jumping and surviving on reflexes because there is no path that allows you to progress. Instead you have to stand still and wait for one to appear.

All three games had these moments but there were few of them in DKC1, a bit more in DKC2 and a lot of them in DKC3. This is compounded by DKC3 not having a fast character like Diddy. Both Dixie and Kiddy are on the slower side, so even the levels where you can run through unhindered, you still don't get that same sense of speed and agility.
>>
>>3950512
pot hole panic is fucking insane with its variety tho
kinda like animal antics but not so balls to the walls hard
>>
OP got rekt
>>
Dkc3 is a great game. Best bosses in the series.
>>
>>3950512
>Doorstop Dash
Is the second level in the game and not made to be hard. It's also not slow. It's easy to beat in under 3 minutes for even a n00b.
All first-world DKC levels are easy. They're designed to introduce mechanics to you. Doorstop Dash for example trains you to use Dixie's helicopter tech.

PS: Stop bitching about the first level's music. There's nothing wrong with it, you're just worried one of your "cool" friends(that you probably don't have but you're pretending to be hardcore) might hear it and call you a sissy.
>>
>>3949454
you missed
>there are still plenty of people who like all three, while having mere subjective preferences between 1 and 3
>>
>>3953303
>subjective preferences
lel. 3 is objectively inferior. see:

>>3947256
>>3947262
>>3947265
>>
>>3949454
I like all 3, they're basically the same game 3 times
It's like how final fantasy fans always gotta praise one game but shit on another
>>
>>3953315
DKC3 wasn't even made by the same team.
>>
>>3953343
Doesn't counter what the anon said.
The tree games are essentially the same, the noted important exception being DKC1 with its slightly clunkier controls, expected since it is the first in the series.
>>
>>3953364
*three*

Also-
>>3947256
>>3947262
>>3947265
There's no difference here. Except Kobble ain't wearing clothes.
>>
>>3953371
>There's no difference
are you serious? Mouth movement? Head movement? Tail trajectory? Walk cycle?
>>
File: 1296373751651.jpg (46KB, 678x519px) Image search: [Google]
1296373751651.jpg
46KB, 678x519px
>>3953441
None of those are important.
I mean, what kinda faggot cares whether some baddie is just pacing back and forth on patrol, or if he's strung out like he's on meth, moving like dumbass opening and shutting his mouth like he's got an on-off switch?
If you're playing the games right, you shouldn't be leaving them alive long enough to notice or care. Then again, someone above bitched about how babyish the GAME OVER screen in DKC3 looks, not realizing two key points-
1. The idea is to NOT see that screen in the game
2. If you do, you suck, like a baby

But don't let basic concepts like these stop you from whining. Like a baby.
>>
File: 127509151467.png (363KB, 642x483px) Image search: [Google]
127509151467.png
363KB, 642x483px
>>3953461
>Then again, someone above bitched about how babyish the GAME OVER screen in DKC3 looks, not realizing two key points
Expounding on this, the idea of the game over screen is simple. To humiliate you for losing the game. In a game where lives are pretty easy to come by overall, you managed to fuck up bad enough to get a GAME OVER.

I think the babby screen is very applicable to such a failure.
It's like the SFII screen where your character's face is beaten swollen and bloodied. You're supposed to feel like a loser, which in normal folk makes them wanna try again and show the game who's boss when he gets serious.

Game design 101.

PS: Stop nit picking. Stop getting nits in the first place.
>>
>>3953471
>Stop nit picking
I bet /vr/ would be even less active than now if most anons would follow your advice and the discussions would be much better.
>>
>>3953371
>there's no difference
>>3953461
>it's okay that it looks like shit
Your mental gymnastics are astonishing, senpai.
>>
>>3953461
Dude, I love DKC3 and think there's nothing inherently wrong with the sprite, but you're literally backpedaling. You can't say "There's no difference" and when you get called out claim that "They aren't improtant"
>>
File: dk-6.png (285KB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
dk-6.png
285KB, 580x433px
>>3948043
..... So what you're saying is Donkey Kong is going to perform the helicopter-spin by using his Up-B from Smash?
>>
>>3953619
From what I remember, no. iirc Dixie's hair helicopter is actually never REQUIRED to beat the game. Though I do remember him saying that he needed to edit the level layout in like one level or something.
>>
>>3949454
>that feel when first is my personal favorite but accept the second as being objectively best
>that feel when like the third and use it to get my fix without wearing the first two out

also playing them fast and recklessly while drunk and getting into rhythm is the GOAT vidya experience

>>3940201 is a gorillion percent right
>>
File: eb21dc5d.gif (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eb21dc5d.gif
46KB, 500x500px
>>3953364
>The tree games are essentially the same
Essentially, every side scrolling jump 'n run is the same.

>the noted important exception being DKC1 with its slightly clunkier controls
Outlandish claim and blatantly false! All the DKC games have the same tight and responsive controls, even the otherwise severely lacking DKC3.
>>
>>3940457
Roll later. Control harder.
>>
>>3941517
Hey now. Megaman is the shit. Megaman-X was a pretty awesome game.
>>
>>3954935
DKC1 is my favorite, but even I know that its collision detection isn't as good.
>>
>>3955072
>muh collision detection
Really nig
>>
>>3955089
hey man he was in my face
>>
Hey OP, you know why xyz is your favourite TV show? Because it came on at just the exact right time in your life, and if it hadn't been out then, you would actually prefer this other TV show that you now dislike instead. That's the only reason you like the TV show

Despite feeling the same way over decades, and how it made you feel... nope, it was all over some stupid incidental fact such as when it came out.
>>
>>3955072
>collision detection
How do you get to that from controls? Those are two entirely seperate things.
>>
>>3955113
When you roll into stuff or jump on things. It's completely fine when you're good, but it feels "looser" than DKC2 if that makes sense.
Don't hurt me, I think DKC1 is GOAT.
>>
>>3955120
I honestly don't have the faintest idea what you mean, I haven't noticed what you are describing. What does that have to do with collision detection though? The only difference that comes to my mind is that the tapping sound when you land has been removed in 2 and 3.
>>
>>3955120
>>3955131
There is however a massive change in how Rambi controls in 1 and 2. In 1 he feels much more powerful and generates insane forward momentum from hitting enemies, you can also jump cancel out of his horn attack, which you can't do in 2, which has nerfed Rambi in normal mode to the point it's barely fun anymore to use him like that. Obviously they did that to balance out the newly added charge attack and probably also make it seem more powerful by contrasting it with a nerfed normal. I have to say though that while the charge attack is pretty cool, I much prefer the original handling of Rambi.
>>
>>3946884
>that last point

I agree completely with everything else, but come on. The 'sequels = expansion packs' mentality is ridiculous now, but even moreso on console in 1996.
>>
File: hqdefault-1.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-1.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>3953635
Well fuck. So much for hair-spinning through Parrot Chute Panic.
>>
All 3 games are good in their own right and I personally like them all equally, even if 2 is objectively the best. Everyone hates on 3 for being too far removed from the first two games, but really if it had been a rehash it would have felt uninspired and boring. If it wasn't part of the DKC trilogy and was it's own thing, people would likely have a higher opinion of it.

Also, fucking Christmas mode.
>>
Even if we can agree on what we think of DKC3, can we at least acknowledge that DKL3 is objectively the he best platformer on the game boy?
>>
>>3955452
That's something that has yet to be explored by most of us.
>>
>>3938413
The patrician choice

Never got why people love DKC2
NO DONKEY NO FUN
>>
3 is fun, but in no way the equal of 1 or 2.

1. Kiddy's main "draw" is his water skip, yet you can count the number of stages where you can perform it on one hand, and the number where it provides some sort of benefit is even less (or has a safer workaround).
2. No Diddy makes you feel like you're stuck in sludge all the time (Dixie is middleweight, albeit you have to play a lot of DKC2 to notice and be bothered by this).
3. A few musical duds, most notably the boss theme.
4. KAOS is stupid.

However, something I like is that they achieved a unique outdoorsy atmosphere that's mostly coherent and cozy. You have these locations that kind of have a camping/hiking feel to them: lakeside, woods, mountains, crag. The problem was that the details were lacking. The enemies were a bit featureless, if drawn well (same goes for the stages/backdrops really). Banana birds were somewhat dumb design-wise.

It's a fine effort, they tried hard. It's just not super inspired.
>>
>>3955354

> Everyone hates on 3 for being too far removed from the first two games,

I don't like it because it's not far enough from 2. It's the video game version of a great album being followed up by a "companion album" of session leftovers and b-sides.
>>
You know.. reading the documentation, apparently the sprite formats between all three games are compatible.
I'm totally capable (and ready) to do a ROM hack that gets rid of Kiddy and replaces him with Donkey, but there are few things I guarantee I can't do:
• the hand slap
• the original over-the-head barrel carrying
• sound assembly

Would you guys feel a simple graphics hack only would be kosher?
Surely if need be, someone more capable can build on the hack and add the hand slap etc. If they're capable
>>
One thing that REALLY bugged me about 3 that I have heard literally no one else comment on in my life is the fact that when you beat a bonus game and grab the coin, the super satisfying coin-collecting sound effect gets cut off by the victory music.

Not a huge issue I know, but it does break the immersion slightly. At least for me. Otherwise it's a fine game.
>>
>>3955748

FUCK you're right
>>
>>3955662
You should go to the DKC-Atlas forum and ask for assistance there.
>>
>>3938326
Nope it's shit
>charismatic crocodile enemies are replaced by barrels, mices
>The color palet was all over the place
> DK trinkets are always at the end of each level instead of being well hidden
>True last boss is a cutscene unlocked by simon says minigames.

Nope, nope nope. I prefer 1 over 2, but still both are miles ahead of 3.
>>
All of them are lovable in their own special way
>>
>>3956163
>special way
I love to hate DKC3 too.
>>
>>3956157

Even worse, the big bird hypes you up that it'll rekt the shit out of Rool for you if you complete its shitty fetch quest and then all it does is chase the fucker around and drop an eggshell on him. A fucking eggshell.
>>
>>3950512
>low you don't
I meant to write slow you down.

>>3953269
>Doorstop Dash
>Is the second level in the game and not made to be hard
I didn't say it should be hard.

>It's also not slow. It's easy to beat in under 3 minutes for even a n00b.
Every door slows you down to a halt and makes you wait for it to slowly open, which breaks the flow. How much time it takes to complete the level is completely irrelevant to this criticism. The time needed to complete a level has no bearing whatsoever on how fast or slow it plays.

>PS: Stop bitching about the first level's music
Never.

>There's nothing wrong with it
There's everything wrong with it. Lakeside Limbo is easily the worst piece of music in the entire trilogy, that fucking tuba.
>>
>>3955343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSReZyAmDn0
>>
>>3956319
S I C K
I
C
K
>>
>>3956253
The worst piece of music in the series is every single track in the GBA version of the game.
>>
>>3946393
It's good but no diddy :(
>>
>>3941481
Nobody?
>>
>>3956157
>charismatic crocodile enemies are replaced by barrels, mices
Every installment had different enemies than kremlings. Your point?
>The color palet was all over the place
What? You gotta be a little more precise with that.
> DK trinkets are always at the end of each level instead of being well hidden
Confirmed for never having played DKC3. There are several levels where Koin is more or less well hidden (how well is relative because you could say the same about DKC2s DK coins) and not all of them are at the end of their level. Hell, the third level in the game even has it in the very first screen.
You don't need to find banana birds or unlock those cave mini games to reach K.Rool 2. You only need to collect all the bonus coins and beat all stages of Krematoa to do so. You only need to get the banana birds if you want to get the alternative ending and get a 103 percentage and unless you're a completionist you don't really need to that to beat the game.

>>3956215
>the big bird hypes you up that it'll rekt the shit out of Rool for you if you complete its shitty fetch quest and then all it does is chase the fucker around and drop an eggshell on him
Well, it's not that unexpected considering the tone of the game compared to the other ones. That being said, it was kind of stupid so I agree with you.
>>
>>3956157
>>charismatic crocodile enemies are replaced by barrels, mices
This is why Returns was a crock of shit. Tropical Freeze had great new enemies, though.
>>
>>3953461
I dont disaggree at all but that you are a baby thing is dumb af.
One character actually is a baby. He even wears babycloth. Its not a your a baby. Its the same you go in jail or imprisonment but this time they put some shit for the baby inside game over screen.
Also game over screen in 2 was related to getting caught by krems. In 1 they were beaten up and 3 you are a baby? what a bs.
>>
>>3956157
Don't forget the final K. Rool fight is the worst in the entire series.
>>
>>3956157
Agreed. Sick of this "3 was actually good and is only overlooked because <insert stupid reason>" meme. Maybe the reason they like 3 is because their mom bought it instead of 1 or 2 and they convinced themselves that.
>>
Timing is everything.

By the time DKC3 came out, gamers had moved onto either PC or PS1.

If you were still hanging onto your SNES because you were a gamer and not just playing games to pass the time, you were awarded with a great DKC game.

It's so good.
>>
I'm absolutely heartbroken that K. Rool wasn't in Smash 4. He's all I wanted added to the roster since after Melee. When Brawl was doing daily Dojo updates, I'd get up every single morning, without fail, to check and see if he was the reveal for today. Not only did he never come then, but I was almost sure he'd be in the next one...then I was almost sure he had to win the DLC poll...but nope, it was Bayonetta "Fly me to the ass and let me play among the tits" Bayonetti, a comically exaggerated sex doll, who made it in. The Mii costume was the biggest punch to the gut.

The worst part is, I assumed Dixie was a shoe-in, but no, Sakurai doesn't give a stone cold fuck about anything but Fire Emblem.
>>
>>3957054
That explains the low sales figures. It does not explain why most people who actiually bought and played the game dislike it. I wanted to love this game, I preordered that fucker. I tried so hard to at least like it but ended up hating it because it's so all around shitty.

>It's so good.
It's so shit.
>>
>>3955662
Kiddy basically is Donkey. Use wizard skills to turn him into Diddy instead.
>>
>>3956215
Yeah, that ending was bullshit. The first time I ever unlocked the secret ending I expected the Mama Bird to pick up K.Rool and fly away into the horizon with him. How exactly is dropping an egg on his head "ridding the land of him forever" ??
>>
>>3938326
No, it would still be forgotten and 2 would become a "hidden gem"
>>
ITT
>You weren't actually having fun with DKC3, you only thought you were!
>>
>>3957125
It actually sold well in japan
>>
All 3 are good.
>>
Because it is a good game instead of another retread in the series when other more powerful systems were out.
>>
>>3957292
i'm not that much of a wizard
besides, it wouldn't make sense for Diddy to be so heavy that him piggybacked by Dixie would be slower and throwing him onto a cracked board would break it
>>
File: 1486242777787.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486242777787.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
>missed out on both DKC3 and Yoshi's Island because they starred babies and I thought I was too old for that shit
The real baby was me for being such a stupid kid.
>>
>>3938329
SMBHQ holy shit that takes me back
>>
>>3938329
PROFESSOR EXECUTRAIN!
>>
>>3956661
>What? You gotta be a little more precise with that.
Not him but DKC1 and DKC2 enemies had a color palette that was way more earthy and natural compared to DKC3, which has pink kremlins, blue and yellow kremlins, bright red hedgehogs, pink spiders, yellow spiders, neon green bees and so on. While there were dark blue kremlins in DKC1 and the one type of Kremlin in DKC2 turned reddish when angered, overall the colors were more grounded.

DKC3 is all over the place and it doesn't look good but I'm sure you apologists will try to spin it into "it's more colorful, therefore it's better".
>>
>>3955662
This is great news. Even if you can't complete it or do every animation, just starting a project like that would be awesome. It might inspire somebody else to help you or finish it at a later time. Go for it, dude.
>>
bunp
>>
>>3938438
PS1 games were $5-40 generally. Snes games were rarely ever less than $40 with several being $75 plus. Poor people certainly jumped ship the first second they could.
>>
>>3938326
No. The game had some redeeming stuff. But the baby bullcrap and childish demeanor screwed the whole game. The lower difficulty (minus a few levels) vs the first and second game also helped the game be forgotten.
>>
>>3938326
But it didn't so who cares?
>>
>>3958294
>I'm sure you apologists will try to spin it into "it's more colorful, therefore it's better".
How the hell do you think I'm an "aplogist" just because I corrected some claims I could easily debunk with those corrections? I even admitted that I don't like everything about the third game. Two can play that game, you know. How can I know you are not an "apologist" for DKC2? If anything it seems that game is the most overrated one in the trilogy even if it's my favorite as well. I mean, just look at all that circlejerking in every DKC /vr/ thread.
>>
DKC1 > 3 Advance > 2 > 3

I like them all, though.
>>
>>3959229
Is the extra content in the GBA version worth playing it for? I only played the GBA port of DKC2 and they fucked up the pacing with stupid cranky cutscenes and that new boss that was garbage.
>>
>>3949501
Dixie was a fine side kick to Diddy. She felt like the right addition. Kiddy replacing Diddy completely changes the gameplay in a way that just doesn't work.
>>
>>3959728
It also doesn't help that the levels were mostly shit. That level where you had to jump on the crocks heads in an exact way, wtf were they thinking, that's supposed to be fun?
>>
>>3959229
The new music fucking sucked in GBA DKC3.
>>
To this day, whenever something goes wrong in my life, I can hear Kiddy Kong's Game Over tantrum screaming in the back of my frustrated mind.
>>
>>3955354
>Everyone hates on 3 for being too far removed from the first two games
I disagree with that excuse quite strongly. DKC2 was a strong departure from the tone and setting of DKC1 and yet it was embraced strongly because it was good. That's the important thing, the game has to be good. DKC3 is not a good game, which is why it gets a lot of hate because the quality is what's too far removed from the first two games.

>but really if it had been a rehash it would have felt uninspired and boring.
That's funny. It does feel uninspired and boring, and it is a rehash. A rehash of DKC1. Coral reef underwater levels, forest levels, woodland levels, snow levels and industrial levels can all be found in DKC1 and DKC3. I'm sorry you had to find out this way but DKC3 is undeniably a rehash of DKC1. It even has inferior copycat versions of the main characters. Kiddy = retarded, annoying Donkey Kong, Dixie = slower, cheaper, less fun to play Diddy Kong.

>If it wasn't part of the DKC trilogy and was it's own thing, people would likely have a higher opinion of it.
I don't know about a higher opinion but it would probably be criticized less harshly because it wouldn't be held to such a high standard.
>>
File: 1392389323930.jpg (55KB, 461x523px) Image search: [Google]
1392389323930.jpg
55KB, 461x523px
>>3958069
>>3958073
Only on /vr/ would I be so close to crying. I love you guys.
>>
>>3960849
>DKC3 is undeniably a rehash of DKC1
>Dixie = slower, cheaper, less fun to play Diddy Kong
Holy shit this post is funny as hell.
>>
>>3938326
Pro tip
they're all classics
>>
>>3941531
>comparing the gameplay of one game to the visuals of another
Nigga what? SMB1's levels may look the same, but the mechanics beat the shit out of every DKC, which is why there was so much more depth without resorting to gimmicks. It's just good level design. If good level design were a swimming pool, Rare couldn't fall into it if they were drunk off their ass at a 4th of July cookout.
>>
>>3956410
Objectively wrong.
The GBA version of DKC3 is the only one with improved music over the original. Even they knew 3's music was lacking, so they redid all of it, and it's so much better.
>>
>>3961452
it was done because the GBA APU was shit, not because there was anything inherently wrong with the SNES soundtrack itself
>>
>>3961452
>That GBA Rockface Rumble and Water World
I actually like the original DKC3 OST, so the fact I got the original PLUS more good tracks on the GBA version is just so great.
>>
>>3961452
Go back to bed, David Wise, you overrated fuck.
>>
>>3963181
Not him, but I haven't listened to Wise's newest works since DKCTF, are they not as good anymore or do you think he is overrated in general?
>>
File: kekking kremlings.jpg (105KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
kekking kremlings.jpg
105KB, 550x413px
>>3961376
Came here to agree with this.
I never met anyone as a kid who thought DKC3 was inferior to the others. The ONLY place I've seen people who dislike the game, in fact, are here on 4chan, and 100% of the time they come off as autists or snobby assholes, the kinda fucks who think Zelda II and Ikaruga are shitty games.

>they're not like the other games in their genres!
No shit, and Metal Slug ain't like Contra Hard Corps.
>>
Autist here, does anyone else have a glitch with their DKC3 cartridge where after entering the palette swap code only Dixie changes color? Like when Kiddy beats a level the flag is green, but he is still in blue pajamas.
My cart is an original one, not one with revisions
>>
>>3963213
The only way that could be true is if this is the only place you hang out about videogames.

Also your kid friends were retarded.
>>
File: 1442613163336.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1442613163336.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>3963570
Sorry bud. Only butthurt faggots hate the game.
Many just think it's a combination of the other two title and brings nothing notably new to the series.That is correct, but the series was already awesome so making more of the same isn't a bad thing.
The music for example. I was shocked to learn the composer of the first to games did not do the third, because it has that classic DKC vibe from start to finish.

Hell one of the biggest PMS episodes people get about DKC3 is MUH CRYING BABBY, forgetting an important fact: You're not supposed to get hit by enemies and that crying brat is your fitting punishment for dying like a babby.
Seeing a Game Over screen in a game with piss-easy life farming is inexcusable.
>>
File: latest.jpg (94KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
94KB, 480x600px
Every Donkey Kong Country game is awesome. That's the thing about DKC3, it may be inferior to 1 and 2 but it's still a good game.
>>
>>3963709
I honestly think it's superior to 1, especially in the level design department. That said I love the whole trilogy. I think 2 is the best overall with pacing, level design, music, you name it, but 3 will always have a spot in my heart and is my personal favorite. I especially love the rendered graphics, especially the cliff levels.
>>
DKC3 is the most difficult of the trilogy, mainly due to its use of gimmicks and somewhat wonky pacing. Playing it on TUFST is truly a joy and is worth the challenge. Love DKC3.
>>
>>3963682
>The music for example. I was shocked to learn the composer of the first to games did not do the third, because it has that classic DKC vibe from start to finish.

That's because the composer of DKC3 also made some tracks for DKC1 like the BGM for the forest and snow levels. She also composed the title theme (or rather made the remix of the NES Donkey Kong title theme, I don't know who composed the NES chiptune).
>>
TWO>THREE>ONE
>>
File: 1493355139601.png (518KB, 1031x907px) Image search: [Google]
1493355139601.png
518KB, 1031x907px
Unpopular opinion coming through
1 = 2 = 3
>>
>>3964347
>I honestly think it's superior to 1, especially in the level design department.
That's just nuts, you must really love those gimmick levels.
>>
>>3963682
>Many just think it's a combination of the other two title and brings nothing notably new to the series.That is correct,
That's not correct. It does bring a lot of new things to the series, but most of them are bad.

>but the series was already awesome so making more of the same isn't a bad thing.
I would've loved more of the same. A game with all three Kongs from the previous games and more levels with the familiar tile sets would've made me very happy. But DKC3 wasn't that.
>>
>>3964624
>tfw it never actually says "Funky's Flights" but actually "Barrel Flights"
>tfw there's a winged barrel in World 1's Barrel Flights, being a beta leftover from when the jet barrel wasn't a thing yet
>>
>>3963682
>Many just think it's a combination of the other two title and brings nothing notably new to the series.

That's not it at all. That's like saying if the first movie of something is good and the second movie is good and the third movie tries to be like the first and second the worst thing about the third movie is that. There's more to these games than just throwing things together, it's called level design. Creativity. If they made it exactly like DKC2 in style then it would probably have been better, but that wouldn't stop it from being a bad game if the spark wasn't there.

I went for years thinking DKC3 was a pile of shit before getting online and realizing almost everyone else thinks that as well.

Look, it's okay if you like the game. Noone's saying you're just an idiot for liking the game. However it's not the commonly held view.
>>
>>3966449
this fucked me up
>>
>>3964859
>DKC1 involves blindly jumping down every abyss to see if there might be a bonus level barrel there
>good level design
wew
>>
>>3968241
Bonus levels in DKC1 are just that, a bonus, something extra, not part of the main course. They are not the focus of the game, there are no collectibles, you only get rewarded with extra lives for finding bonus levels. There's no hidden ending no nothing that requires you to find all bonus levels. There's also only a few instances where an accidental jump or intentional suicide probe is needed to find a bonus level. I would even say that Rare's overuse of collectibles is where they lost their magic and began their decline.
>>
If the enemy designs weren't retarded, if Kiddy wasn't a screaming toddler, if the bosses weren't gimmickfests, and if the Stilt Village track wasn't clown music, then it might be more well-received.
>>
>>3968732
I wouldn't even mind if it was catchy and good sounding clown music. If they went ball deep into the circus theme, like DKC2 went all in with the spooky pirates theme, it would've been fine with me. As it is there are only bits and pieces that suggest that maybe at one point they considered it. Swanky's carnie inspired minigame, the clown music, Ellie is an elephant = prominent circus animal. But that's it and it just seems weird and out of place. The whole game is a mess.
>>
>>3968728
It's part of the 101% road but it's badly designed and don't help to discover new content.
>>
>>3968728
You clearly never beat the game 101% by finding all of the bonuses.....
>>
>>3968782
>It's part of the 101% road
What do you need 101% for? What fucking road?

>don't help to discover new content
Which just means it's not at all important to find all of them. It's just a challenge for bragging rights.

Besides, most of the secrets are either marked with a single banana, behind a wall near a barrel or are barrels at the bottom of the screen with just the edges visible. The ones that are really invisible can be counted on one hand and because of the exclamation marks you know exactly which levels still have undiscovered bonuses. So you know which levels to explore further.

Sounds to me like you just don't like even a little bit of a challenge. You want a big fat arrow made out of bananas to point you towards your "secrets", you fucking baby.
>>
>>3968791
I just recently did for all three games. Although I only went for 103% in DKC3, I'm not sure if I'll do the 105% or not.
>>
>>3968798
I've gotten the 101% 102% and 103% in all three respectively
>>
>>3968870
>103%
dude
>>
File: 20170505_231447.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_231447.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>3938326
That is the most stupidest comment ive ever read and ive come from /b/ where traps are every where.

>>3938329
I think he has to be trolling
>>3938393
Omg please everyone who agrees with him replay them all to complete.

There is nothing good about 3 but harder. They tried to go the same way super mario world 2 went with cartoon graphics and baby kong was the sluggiest kong couldnt do anything least when you had donkey kong he could move.
>>
All 3 sucks because they were made by fuckin gaijins.

t. Miyamoto Shigeru
>>
>>3971117
>ive come from /b/

Perhaps you should go back, where it'd be harder for you to get banned for being underage
>>
DK3 has a lot of unique stages, and does some cool RPG stuff with their world map. There's a lot of experimental stuff here that you wouldn't get from the original team.

But the best aspect of this series was the finishing touches, and DK3 lacked that in spades.
You could probably make a student programing project out of taking the raw game and refining the fuck out of it's hitboxes, the way it tracked progress, and for the love of god somebody fix the dialogue displays!

Look at this! >>3948162
That shit was passable when Cranky Kong was the only one saying anything important, but with how long and complicated the plot was in 3, you can't really expect to just copy paste this shit.

Donkey and Diddy just start talking out of nowhere, which is the first time they've said anything in the series, and they just stand their with static animations. The only prompting you have is the Text is switching between two different colors now. God forbid they make dialogue display coherent enough that we can actually pay attention to what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>3971636
>DKC3 has a lot of unique stages, and does some cool RPG stuff with their world map.
>some cool RPG stuff
>RPG stuff
>>
>>3971636
>>3971727
>muh world map

It's neat at first but then you have to run around with the fucking items and shit. I'm not sure it can be counted only as a positive.
>>
All 3 DKC games are good, great even. But the thing is people rank them, and sadly most people consider 3 to be the worst of the trilogy.

But it doesn't matter, its like picking your favorite diamond no mater which on you pick you still have a diamond.
>>
dkc3 sucks, sonic 3 sucks, streets of rage 3 sucks.

avoid 3s
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCAUcOzHBYw

dkc1 fags btfo
>>
>>3973753
Go home, you're drunk.
>>
>>3942294
Everyone wants switch ports of the wiiU games because the Wii U games are fucking great.

Plus its a great hacking console and its basically still as expensive as the switch. WiiU is the next dreamcast
>>
>>3973873

I've heard the hacking on wii u isnt that good compared to og wii
>>
>>3973743
DKC3 aint no diamond.
>>
>>3973746

All of those games are great
>>
>>3973746
>sonic 3 sucks
nigger i will fight you
>>
NOPE

2 is better in just about every way except perhaps the world exploring but thats only fun your first time through.
>>
>>3968798
>>3968870
>>3970732

What is the difference between the 101%, 102%, 103% and 105% completions?
>>
>>3957541
That OCRemix album was the shit.
>>
>>3963682
>I was shocked to learn the composer of the first to games did not do the third
David Wise did work on 3, along with Eveline Fischer, who composed all of 1's non-Wise tracks (minus Funky's theme).

>>3964523
>She also composed the title theme
Wise did the title theme, you're thinking of the map theme which was done by Fischer.
>>
>>3978294
101% is DKC1, 102% is DKC2, 103% is DKC3, and 105% is DKC3 with a cheat code to remove checkpoints.
>>
Why does removing the checkpoints add 2% completion points?
>>
Every single DKC game is good. I don't know why people hate DKC3, even if it is objectively worse than the first two games it is NOT a bad game. There are games that are literally piles of fuck-poop compared to this game. Unplayable abominations of humanity.

Kiddy Kong sucks we can all admit that, but he gets the privilege to go on a pretty awesome adventure!
>>
>>3979271
for added difficulty
>>
my biggest complaint in 3 is the lack of zingers. Those fuckin grin faced mechabees look really annoying to me.
>>
All this talk about B-Team development concerning DKC3 has made me curious, so I actually looked up the credits and wow, you guys weren't kidding. No wonder the third turned out to be such a stinker.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/donkey-kong-country/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/donkey-kong-country-2-diddys-kong-quest/credits
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/donkey-kong-country-3-dixie-kongs-double-trouble/credits

Game designer Gregg Mayles worked on 1 and 2 but not 3. The game designer for 3 was a guy named Andrew Collard whose only further credits are two Microsoft shovelware movie license games in 2003. Either he died or never was hired to work for vidya again after that. He wasn't asked back for Yooka Laylee.

Background artists for 1 and 2 were C. Gage and John Nash but they didn't work on 3. It goes on like this, Character designer and animator Steve Mayles who did such awesome work for 1 and 2 also did not work on 3. The guy who took his place in working on 3 was Mark Stevenson who had previously been responsible for making the objects, banana sculpting and KONG letter designing. Now head artist. Animation was given to Neil Crook who has never again been working in vidya after his showing on DKC3 and was also not asked back for Yooka Laylee. I wonder if maybe he too died. Maybe he killed himself for doing such a shoddy job and letting everybody down.

All this tells quite the tale though. I think B-Team is still being too kind here as some of these people must've either committed sudoku or were blacklisted in the industry.
>>
>>3978314

The music David Wise did for 3 was mostly sub par
>>
>>3979943

The DKC2 guys were making Banjo Kazooie while 3 was being made. They still gave input into the development of DKC3 though.
>>
>>3956831
I know it's not exactly retro, but since we're in a relevant thread, do you guys feel that Tropical Freeze lived up to the quality of DKC2?
>>
>>3980318
Have you listened to his DKC3 GBA music? It's fucking horrendous at times and when it's not it's mind numbingly generic. It almost seems like he lost a bet and tried to make an even shittier OST than the SNES version has. He succeeded in that regard.
>>
>>3980350

I'd put it over on par with DKC3 and over DKC1. It's not quite up to the heights of DKC2 though
>>
>>3980709

I like the moody soundtrack of DKC3 SNES. Most of the GBA version is way too happy and light, especially the tree level music.
>>
File: tuberide.jpg (73KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
tuberide.jpg
73KB, 480x600px
This game was undoubtedly made by the B team, but it still top quality throughout.

>that Christmas code
>that map screen
>them rpg elements
>Wrinkly Kong having an N64 in her cave and sometimes the music being the castle music from Mario 64
>>
>>3981620
The music of the early levels of DKC3 is way too happy and light, sounds like a toddler's game from that and it's really annoying. That trumpet music ugh. I can't even imagine what DKC3 GBA soundtrack must be like if it's worse than that. One of the very first things I noticed about DKC3 was the much shittier soundtrack.
>>
>>3982223

One of the problems with DKC3 is starting out with a stilt level as the first stage. They should've used something moodier as the first stage.
>>
File: 1439064226312.png (12KB, 378x366px) Image search: [Google]
1439064226312.png
12KB, 378x366px
Can we just agree that the 3 Snes games are 10/10 and that the big mistake was the DK64?
>>
>>3982320

DK64 is good too.
>>
>>3982325

Nah. DK64 failed as Donkey Kong and failed as a "copy" of Banjo Kazooie.
>>
>>3982329
Oh fuck off. It was never meant to be a "copy" (which you inexplicably put in quotations) of Banjo Kazooie. It was better, a lot more variety.
>>
>>3982253
>DKC. Jungle theme. First level in a Jungle.
>DKC2. Pirate theme. First level in a Pirate ship.
>DKC3. ????? theme. First level in a Stilt village.
what did they mean by this?
>>
>>3982851

I read somewhere online that DKC3 theme is supposed to be industrial revolution. That's why most of the worlds are nature with one factory world and some of the enemies have industrial themes (bees with sawblades).
>>
>>3982851
>bland theme
>Canada

it fits
>>
It's true. 3 is the gem of the original trilogy. Best art style, more interesting level select map, better level design.

The real controversial opinion is that Returns and Tropical Freeze are better than the original trilogy. And they are.
>>
>>3985087

>It's true.

No, it really isn't. DKC2 blows 3 out of the water. The enviroments are better. The bosses are better. The lost world is better. Diddy is better than Kiddy. The level themes and levels are better. The enemies are better. The overall aesthetic is better.

The only think DKC3 does well is shaking things up from the first two games by adding some variety in levels(these come off as gimmicky a lot of the time but I like them a lot) and certain boss fights are interesting your first time through the game(like Bleak).

I really think you DKC3 fans favor DKC3 only because you know 2 is more popular and you can't like the popular thing heaven forbid that. The game doesn't deserve the hate it gets, but when I see people say its better I really can't get why.
>>
File: maximum_overtrol.png (335KB, 463x357px) Image search: [Google]
maximum_overtrol.png
335KB, 463x357px
>>3985087
>that fucking post
>>
>>3985087
>3 is the gem of the original trilogy.
It's my favorite as well -even if 2 gives me more nostalgia- but implying that's the best of the trilogy is kind of a stretch. The first two games are just as much fun albeit different.

>>3985106
>the environments are better
What's so different about the environments compared to the first game except for the fact that it has more of a North America impression except of Africa and Asia (which seem to be the inspiration for the first game)? I do feel it doesn't feel as fantastic as DKC2 though and with that I mean 2 feels more like a fantasy world.
>The bosses are better.
They're more or less at the same level of creativity in both 2 and 3. The first one feels lacking compared to the two. I agree with Bleak and I also like most of them except for the K.Rool ones because it feels better to beat him in the first two games.
>The lost world is better.
Stampede Sprint is frustrating and that rocket level is bullshit. However, Animal Antics is also incredibly annoying with the Squitter, Squawks and Rattly sections. Klobber Karnage is just as infuriating as SS and Jungle Jinx (not to be confused with the first regular level from DKC1) has huge rolling tires which feels even more gimmicky than most levels from DKC3. That's why I debate that point as well.
>Diddy is better than Kiddy
I'd love to disagree but I can't. Rushing through levels with him through the first two games feels so much better than using Kiddy, who has the water skip but that isn't used often and feels unintuitive to control.
>The level themes and levels are better.
The first actually had the best themes because they just oozed atmosphere. As said before, 2 feels more like a fantasy while 3 doesn't feel outlandish to most Americans, on the contrary even. To be fair, the developers are British but it doesn't have the same amazement factor in that regard.
>The enemies are better.
Agree.
>Aesthetic
Debatable.
>>
>>3985106
>I really think you DKC3 fans favor DKC3 only because you know 2 is more popular and you can't like the popular thing heaven forbid that. The game doesn't deserve the hate it gets, but when I see people say its better I really can't get why.
I'm not speaking for them but I assume they do so because they feel their favorite version is underrated. Kind of like how fans of Zelda 2, Final Fantasy VIII and comparable "black sheep". For me it's hard to explain; it just feels like it fits and plays so amazingly. Even after several playthroughs I still love to do another one just for the sake of it because it's got so much replay value to me, even more than the other two. Again, they're still just as good but you know what they say about opinions.
>>
>>3961352
Nothing wrong in the text you're quoting.
>>
It's just a classic case of "omg, the mainstream likes that game/music/movie better because of <insert completely idiotic xyz reason that has nothing to do with it>, while all the really cool people like this game better".
>>
>>3975959
#shotsfired
>>
>>3956319
Holy fuck. This level always took me a really long time.
>>
>>3938326
Dkc3 is shit. I bought it the xmas it was released. Would rather have got a SMW data disk or some shit (had it existed). Presentation masks a poor platformer
>>
>>3985997
>SMW data disk
Wut
>>
File: 1401121719084.jpg (35KB, 378x434px) Image search: [Google]
1401121719084.jpg
35KB, 378x434px
>>3985843

>I do feel it doesn't feel as fantastic as DKC2 though and with that I mean 2 feels more like a fantasy world.

I like the fantastical element of 2. What can I say?

>They're more or less at the same level of creativity in both 2 and 3. The first one feels lacking compared to the two. I agree with Bleak and I also like most of them except for the K.Rool ones because it feels better to beat him in the first two games.

I think we'd have a blast playing these games in multiplayer, anon.

>Stampede Sprint is frustrating and that rocket level is bullshit. However, Animal Antics is also incredibly annoying with the Squitter, Squawks and Rattly sections. Klobber Karnage is just as infuriating as SS and Jungle Jinx (not to be confused with the first regular level from DKC1) has huge rolling tires which feels even more gimmicky than most levels from DKC3. That's why I debate that point as well.

I can agree with that but all I really can say to further this topic in the discussion is that I'm a classic Jurassic Park fan and as a kid, I felt completely immersed in DKC2's lost world. The levels are some of the most challenging in DKC, and while you may be right about some being gimmicky, I don't find the gimmicks in DKC3 to be a problem. I like those stages. Even the ones with inverted controls.

>I'd love to disagree but I can't.

Hell yeah you can't. Diddy is the man. I feel like the bulk of DKC3 hate is just because we can't be Diddy. They really should've just made it so it was just DK kidnapped. Kiddy felt like a half-assed effort to avoid reusing the same scenario when its practically the same.

>everything else

DKC2 is David Wise at his best in my opinion. The sheer variety, and they still ooze atmosphere. The swamp levels in particular.
>>
>>3938326
U can do some crazy shit with kiddy
Niggas fukd up by not maining him
>>
>>3938339
>1. Literally a screaming baby.
literally what? When does he scream? When you die, you mean? Jesus fuck man git gud
>>
>>3980321
I think it's more accurate to say they were working on Dream around that time (since it was on the SNES at that point) which eventually became Banjo-Kazooie.

>>3982360
>It was never meant to be a "copy" (which you inexplicably put in quotations) of Banjo Kazooie.

Yep.

>It was better

Noooooooooope. I still love the game, but it's incredibly flawed.
>>
>>3985873
No, there's nothing cool about liking DKC3. They all come across like petulant children, begging for their ill chosen favorite to be regarded as "just as good as the other two... at least", while they can't even properly explain why it is their most like entry in the series without grasping at gameplay unrelated straws like muh world map.

At the end of the day the fast paced smooth and intuitive gameplay of the first two games is simply missing from this overall slow and plodding black sheep of the series, which well deserves its bad reputation. Aside from the gameplay, everything else you could possibly care about is ruined too. The music, the creature designs, the animation, the mood, the NPCs, everything is of noticeable lower quality.

If you prefer this crap game over the actually good ones, you just have bad taste and don't know what makes a good game or a good anything.
>>
>>3986134
Exactly. And don't forget you're playing a game aimed at kids where you play as talking apes fighting snowmen and ride swordfish.
>>
>>3986574
Wow suck a dick faggot
>>
if you only play dkc1 and dkc3 you still get to play all the characters in the trilogy so you can skip dkc2 :^)
>>
>>3938365
She really does
>>
DKC3 was fun and thats what matters.
>>
DKC3 had the best bosses. But it's level design just wasn't as good as DKC2.
>>
>>3956319
what about 38 seconds where they use dixie's flying to not get fucked by bees?
>>
My SUPERHOT opinion: DKC2 > DKC3 > DKC

DKC2 had the best everything of the series. Hands down.
DKC3 had very enjoyable platforming, the collectibles were fun to collect and it brought in more gimmick levels to keep the gameplay from becoming stale, which makes sense considering it's the third entry in the series.
DKC was very "pure" in it's platforming and the most reliant on player skill but is missing a lot of the little extra elements from the later games to be better than DKC3 for me.
>>
DKC3 is amazing, just like the 1st to, in fact the 1st might be my least favorite
>>
>>3989603
>DKC2 had the best everything of the series. Hands down.
Agreed.

>DKC3 had very enjoyable platforming
Where? What level? The platforming was simplified and slowed down. It was made boring and tedious.

>the collectibles were fun to collect
No, they were a chore to collect and annoying to peddle to those dopey bears. Looking for those ugly banana birds and doing that Simon says minigame are also not what I would consider fun.

>it brought in more gimmick levels to keep the gameplay from becoming stale
I hate gimmick levels, they are the worst part of all DKC games. The gameplay in DKC3 comes across as stale because it is inferior to the previous games because of a different game/level designer.

>which makes sense considering it's the third entry in the series.
No, it doesn't. The DKC games all have relatively few levels and insist on level variety almost to a fault. They could all do with more levels. Fun ideas are never really explored, just presented and discarded. While that does keep everything fresh, it also keeps the player with blue balls and wanting for more. Ultimately a good thing for Rare, I guess, but I still wanted more of DKC1 and DKC2 which DKC3 did not deliver.

>DKC was very "pure" in it's platforming and the most reliant on player skill
Yes. It's so fun to play and has a nice learning curve allowing you to git gud and go through levels faster and faster the more you get to know them.

>is missing a lot of the little extra elements from the later games
YES! That's what I love about it, none of the fucking clutter that weighs down 3 and to a much lesser extent but still a little bit even 2.

>to be better than DKC3
NO. No, no ,no. Why is you taste in games so bad? None of those terrible "extra elements" make the game better.

It's funny, you listed the most important reasons why DKC1 is far superior to DKC3 but then went on to say that's why you dislike it. What is wrong with DKC3fags?
>>
File: SquirtDKC3.png (570KB, 551x448px) Image search: [Google]
SquirtDKC3.png
570KB, 551x448px
>>3938326
No.
It wouldn't have been.
>>
>>3956319
I hate these hive levels. Worst levels of DKC2.
>>
>>3938326
I played both around the same time. In fact I played DKC, to 2, then to 3 all in the same time on my NES because I had a SNES and a N64 and wanted to play the other DK games before DK64. 2 is objectively better in music, level design, and even visuals. 3 really just felt like an expansion of the game with a different style and meaning.
>>
>>3945975
DKC3 is a good game though. It's just not the golden game that DKC2 is. I disagree about the variety and themes of DKC. It has variance on the same level of DKC2. It still has a strong theme of an actual island nation with manufacturing as opposed to a dark piracy theme.

DKC is not the golden game, but was just the first in the series. I would say that DKC is slightly better than DKC3 if you don't consider that DKC started it all.
>>
>>3947941
>tfw no DKC Trilogy Mod with all the kongs and all the levels.
>>
>>3993681
I would love to play as Kiddy in DKC2 that would be hilarious.
>>
>>3994535
>Kiddy hack for DKC1 and 2
Fucking fund it. For shits and giggles
>>
>>3938326
Dk2 better
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.