[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /vr/ feel about repro carts/boxes? Not like romhacks/translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: il_fullxfull.1199272521_rsbk.jpg (117KB, 1500x1003px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1199272521_rsbk.jpg
117KB, 1500x1003px
How does /vr/ feel about repro carts/boxes? Not like romhacks/translation patches, but just straight up repros of standard games?

As someone who enjoys having a physical collection but can't dump as much money into certain titles as I would like, and who really, really prefers mint/near mint quality in the things I -do- but, I've been thinking of investing in repro carts and boxes for them
>>
I don't see the point of collecting a bootleg, why not buy a flashcart instead?
>>
>>3938080
literally worthless because flash carts exist.
>>
>>3938084
My exact feelings. What's the point?
>>
>>3938084

Because I enjoy filling up my shelf with carts and boxes. But a boxed copy of Super Metroid is going to run you well over $100, but I could get near exact replicas that function the same for $35
>>
>>3938084
Also seconding this. If you're willing to go the fake cartridge route, you might as well get the fake cartridge that lets you play the entire system library rather than just one game.
>>
>>3938080
They're cancer.
>>
>>3938092
Use that shelf space and money for something else, anon.
>>
>>3938092
Consider getting a Japanese Super Metroid, it still plays in English on an US system.
>>
>>3938092
Near exact boxed replicas? No you can't. You can get a repro cart with shitty sticker for $40.
>>
I personally find it comforting that repros are being made. It means the medium as a whole is pretty future proof as we can just make more, and that's pretty cool

The consoles themselves is another story. I can't find a decent clone console at all, and all of them have god awful design aesthetics
>>
File: il_fullxfull.795367956_q1os.jpg (190KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.795367956_q1os.jpg
190KB, 1500x1125px
>>3938104

I dunno, this looks pretty alright to me, and it's $9, repro cart is $25
>>
Only if it's some bullshit like Metal Warriors or Hagane. But even then, I might as well buy a flash cart. On this topic, can flash carts play games with special chips like the Cx4, S-DD1, and the SA1?
>>
>>3938106
I suppose that's one way of looking at it.
>>
>>3938108
Fucking where? This some local shit?
>>
>>3938128

Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/265717775/megaman-bass-sealed-cib-with-24-page?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=snes%20repro%20box&ref=sr_gallery_2
>>
>>3938132

That's not the link I meant to send, but if you search on etsy for repro stuff you'll find plenty for decent prices
>>
>>3938080

Oh great. It's another one of these threads. What do you think about "X"? Whether it's emulation, repros, resellers, ecelebs, or any other bullshit. NOBODY FUCKING CARES WHAT ANY OF YOU THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS. THEY WILL EXIST WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.
>>
>>3938145
I'm drunk too, but calm down man.
>>
>>3938118
Sd2snes can play some special chip games.

I dunno how I feel about repros. If I had a shelf full of every NES game aside from like little samson, I'd probably get one just because it'd be visually complete, but it'd bother me forever
>>
>>3938080
I love the idea of cutting the ridiculously exorbitant prices retro games are catching these days (scalpers get fucked), but... Just don't even bother. Physical copies aren't worth it.
>>
>>3938259
Depends. The NES games I'd actually play cost less physically than the everdrive n8. SNES on the other hand is ridiculous.
>>
>>3938080
I think they're great. Underage hipster faggots have fucked up the retro market by stupidly paying over the odds for whatever their favorite youtube spaz is shouting about this week. It's much better if they spend their money on bootlegs. Even more so if these are massively overpriced bootlegs. That way they spend all their money and have none left to further fuck up prices for real games.
>>
Ive been making my own repros for fun. But I am actively making sure you KNOW its a repro, even editing graphics and logos to include it.
>>
>>3939302
Also not selling em.
>>
File: snesboot.jpg (200KB, 1024x617px) Image search: [Google]
snesboot.jpg
200KB, 1024x617px
I think of them as bootlegs, nothing new to me.
>>
I don't understand why game companies aren't hopping on this train. ROM chips aren't dead. Instead of doing garbage single boards with emulation, they should reissue carts and sell them on their websites. People pay obscene prices for used carts as it is.
>>
>>3939309
this, exactly. bootleg production will outlast us all
>>
>>3938080
as a concept I dig it, but I've only come across some cheapass flimsy megadrive carts that I have to jam the fuck down, probably harming the connector whatsits

if I could find higher quality(or just fucking thinner) ones I'd be glad. It'd be a cheaper way to get copies of the more monstrously overpriced games

somehow flash carts just don't feel the same for me

>>3938145
Hey man, OP cared enough to ask. I care. That's at least two people and we're probably not unique. It's not about making things not exist by being unhappy.
>>
>>3938080
I don't care enough about physical carts anymore to justify spending money on them, but I'm glad there's sites and sellers out there openly selling them for the people that do. Back when I had a lot more disposable income and I was looking into this, it seemed like the repro market was still in its infancy, and the few people that were doing it where stuckup moralfags that absolutely refused to do any retail releases, only shitty hacks and translations.

Fuck your double standards, if you're gonna do piracy, you do it all the way.
>>
>>3938080
Is it even possible to open up repro cartridges and replace the batteries inside? I thought they used different kinds of screws or were just glued together.
>>
>>3938080
The line should be drawn at if the game was ever officially released in the west. If it wasn't repro all you want with whatever rom, go nuts.

If the game was released in the west officially, then the repros are simply counterfeits, with all the negative connotation of being counterfeit intended.
>>
I think you need to reorganize your priorities.

A fake copy of Super Metroid is a fake copy. You'll never have a boxed copy.

If you don't want to pay the cash for reals, and you want to "fill your shelves" with fakes, and you're BUYING repros you're doing it fucking wrong.

Make your fucking own, save some money, and get the smae outcome.

A physical collection of fakes is worthless. It's a waste of tiem. Just get a flashcart.

I just got my N64 flashcart, and I'm going to start weeding out my N64 collection since it's way more economical to just have the flashcarts.
>>
>>3938080
There's nothing wrong with using them to supplement a collection. I've got most of the games I want, but there's a few that I just would never drop the cash for. If it's a game I only mildly want then I just get a cheap ass Chinese bootleg. If it's one that I want a nice copy of then I'll make a nicer repro of it myself.
>>
>>3938080
It's not really an investment unless if it's a special version like a romhack or a game that didn't get released outside Japan like Sweet Home (or at all like Star Fox 2).
>>
>paying more than $5 for something you know is bootleg
>>
I've seen people pay stupid prices for Time Walk Games repros on ebay. I don't understand what they're thinking.
>>
If I take the guts of a bootleg and put it in an old sports game shell and slap on a reasonably good sticker there is literally no difference between that and the real thing.
>>
>>3940034
Do you think an autist who pays for boxed repros is capable of soldering even a single wire without poking their eye out?
>>
>>3940101
yes there is.
In 24 years, the real thing will still work.
The repro will lose data and become useless.

Did you think flash/EPROMS roms held data forever?

Only mask roms do that, because the data is physically etched into silicon,
>>
>>3938084
>>3938087
>>3938095

I figure it's just a middle ground if you got a decent real SNES collection but want to round it off with something like Earthbound or Hagane without having to scrounge around ebay and pay a shitload.
>>
>>3940415
Did you just pull that all out of your ass or are you parroting another ignorant fool? MROMs will degrade eventually. Flash is usually rated for 100 years or more.
>>
>>3938237
If you don't care too much about Japanese games, SD2Snes can play just about everything worthwhile and for the few games it doesn't, it won't set you back too much to pick up the official carts.

Whether SD2Snes is worth it over the Super Everdrive is a different issue though.
>>
>>3940364
No
>>
I wouldn't mind reproductions if there was some way I'd know I'm not getting a piece of shit.
>>
File: 1482484197275.jpg (48KB, 798x809px) Image search: [Google]
1482484197275.jpg
48KB, 798x809px
I guess it's great for the "experience" enthusiast who wants to use hardware. Whether it's original or not is irrelevant, we didn't give a fuck back then either.

I only care about the games, so emulation is what I prefer.
>>
>>3941226

I care about the hardware, but only in as much as it gets preserved. I'm an emulator accuhertz fag.
>>
>>3940438
You only need to drop maybe $100, if even that, for a decent flashcart. That's the price of two, maybe three repro carts. This is literally only a big expenditure for NEETs.
>>
>>3938108
Not the big box. No strategy guide. No scratch and sniff stickers. kys
>>
I bought a repro copy of terranigma. I don't like that the screws on the cart are just plastic and not real screws. the cart itself is nice and its great to be able to play the game on my snes.
>>
>>3939309
I would kill to have cart like this 20 years ago.
>>
>>3938084
>>3938095
Hell, why even bother with a flashcart?

You're downloading ROMs anyway, why not just play directly on your computer?
>>
>>3942385
You'll understand when you get older
>>
>>3938080
where can you get good cartridge stickers? I want to replace a stock SD2SNES sticker with a Super Mario World sticker or something like that
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.