[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good 80s WRPGs? I have been playing JRPGs forever,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: wizardry1.jpg (227KB, 648x982px) Image search: [Google]
wizardry1.jpg
227KB, 648x982px
What are some good 80s WRPGs? I have been playing JRPGs forever, but for some reason, I've never given WRPGs much of a chance, and I want to start with some early ones. I already know about Wizardry, Ultima, and Might & Magic. What else am I missing?
>>
Bard's Tale
Wasteland
Pool of Radiance
>>
Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master and Gold Box
>>
>>3935972
Westwood RPGs
>Eye of the Beholder 1, 2 (3 is by diff. dev)
>Lands of Lore 1, 3 (2 is by diff. dev)
>Nox
There are also others like Order of the Griffin and Warriors of the Eternal Sun, but I've not played them so I don't know if they're any good.
>>
>>3936486

None of those are from the 80s.
>>
File: uukrul.jpg (87KB, 598x700px) Image search: [Google]
uukrul.jpg
87KB, 598x700px
Dark Heart of Uukrul is the shit. Legit one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made, but sadly it was never as well remembered as its contemporaries.
>>
>>3936720

That's because OP already named every 80s WRPG that's worth playing. There just aren't that many of them.

These were the days of roguelikes. Play some Angband, OP.
>>
>>3935972
Questron I and II
Legacy of the Ancients
Alternate reality the city and the dugeon on the atari 800
>>
File: Steve_Urkel.jpg (33KB, 250x374px) Image search: [Google]
Steve_Urkel.jpg
33KB, 250x374px
>>3936794
Read that as Dark Heart of Urkel at first, goddammit.
>>
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check some of them out. I'm trying to decide whether to start with Wizardry or Ultima.

>>3936835
Really? That's hard to imagine considering the several-year head start WRPGs had before JRPGs really started to become there own thing. I've really enjoyed a lot of 80s JRPGs, I'm surprised there aren't more hidden gems from the west.
>>
>>3938179
You don't find hidden games by asking others.
The Japanese were quick to make unique games like the Dragon Slayer series when most others went from producing Rogue-likes to producing Wizardry clones.

>whether to start with Wizardry or Ultima.
Wizardry is very challenging. You may want to wait until you've got plenty of dungeon crawling experience. And even then you might want to start with 5.
Ultima has more lenient combat and dungeons but you have to process a lot of information in the later games. Ultima 1 is short and simple and allow you to grasp some of the basic concepts before things get more complicated.
Might and Magic is often regarded as a beginner series. More precisely this applies to 3 onward as the first two are more demanding.
>>
File: mcandle_082.png (5KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
mcandle_082.png
5KB, 320x200px
Quest for Glory
The Magic Candle
Phantasie
>>
File: 2400ad.jpg (115KB, 640x920px) Image search: [Google]
2400ad.jpg
115KB, 640x920px
>>3936835
>That's because OP already named every 80s WRPG that's worth playing

That's like the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest of CRPGs. There's much more than that.

Here's one often overlooked game: 2400 AD. It's like Ultima but in a futuristic city controlled by robot overlords.
>>
What was the name of that French RPG for Speccy/CPC?
>>
>>3938412
I think I know what you're talking about but the name eludes me
>>
Might and Magic 1 and 2
>>
>>3938503
nevermind i cant read
>>
By the way, if you are going to play Wizardry, I recommend the SNES versions. There's translations available.
>>
>>3938514
Playing these right now. I just found a Dagger of Thieves so I'm transferring my characters to Knight of Diamonds.

You don't get to keep your character levels or items, but you get improved starting stats and can begin as prestige classes in any alignment you like.

All evil party with Lord, Samurai, Ninja, Bishop, Mage, Priest here I come!
>>
>>3939249
You're supposed to keep your level for KoD. Only LoL and HoM reset to level 1.
Bishops are going to be worthless aside from identifying. They learn spells far too slow.
>>
>>3939286
The SNES version is very different from the PC version. In the SNES version you do get reset to level 1.
>>
>tfw want to get into Wizardry
>never played anything remotely resembling dnd
>only dungeon crawling experience I have is with Etrian Odyssey
Should I still try to get into these or go for a different series to ease me in as it were?
>>
>>3939301
Play M&M 3 and 4+5. Then 1 and 2.
After that play Wizardry 5 or the Gaidens.
>>
Give Ultima a try. It should be the first game you play if you enjoyed jrpgs
>>
>>3939301
>>3939306

+1 for M&M3
>>
>>3939335
I should try it sometime. Had a blast with World of Xeen few years ago.
>>
If you want to see what WRPG invented the JRPG then play Black Onyx
>>
>>3939395
What the best version to play?
>>
>>3939418
NEC PC-8801 or i assume the MSX port is fine
SG-1000 and Famicom ports are not the way
>>
>>3939441
What about GBC or MZ-2500?
>>
>>3935980
these
>>
>>3935972
Moebius and Windwalker, both published by Origin Systems - like nothing else anyone has listed so far.
>>
File: SecretEvermore396.png (15KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
SecretEvermore396.png
15KB, 256x224px
>Nobody's said Secret of Evermore yet
For shame, /vr/.
>>
>>3941457
Is this related to Secret of Mana?
>>
>>3941457
>Secret of Evermore
>80's
>>
>>3941462
No.
>>
>>3941462
Same UI, but that's it.

>>3941463
Oh, my bad. I just saw "WRPG" and just dove straight for the reply box.
>>
>>3938308
Whoah, The Magic Candle sounds rad.

>>3938412
Le Maitre Absolu or something similar?

>>3939301
With some EO experience, you're pretty good. Just read the manual so you know how the classes and spells work.

I'm not super keen on Might & Magic, so I'll recommend The Bard's Tale as an alternate starting point. Really though, since you have played some EO, Wizardry 1 shouldn't be too hard or freaky-weird.

>>3939315
>>
It kinda sucks that the majority of CRPGs are on Apple II and IBM PC which have absolutely dogshit for grafics
>>
>>3936835
then why would you answer at all? you're not contributing to the goal of the thread.
>>
>>3941830
sure he is, he's telling OP the focus was more on a closely related genre at the time and he should try those too

although coming from JRPGs he might not be that into roguelikes
>>
File: beneathapplemanor.jpg (90KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
beneathapplemanor.jpg
90KB, 1440x1080px
>>3941902
Is this a roguelike? I played it and thought it was kind of cool. I was including roguelikes when I asked, I guess. I thought they were considered a subgenre of WRPG.
>>
>>3942438
>I thought they were considered a subgenre of WRPG
They are, generally. But there's always a special snowflake or two trying to push their own personal defenitions onto others.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.