[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the cheapest capture device (preferably external

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: C154-1014-Main-sp.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
C154-1014-Main-sp.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
What's the cheapest capture device (preferably external usb, not a card) that can capture an s-video signal at 240p/60hz with minimal or no lag?
>>
>>3933271
You'll at least want something that can capture 60fps or you're gonna get a real problem with flickering effects and stuff not showing up correctly on video (completely invisible etc.)
>>
File: 61TCFd1EMkL._SL1500_.jpg (125KB, 1500x1066px) Image search: [Google]
61TCFd1EMkL._SL1500_.jpg
125KB, 1500x1066px
>>3933271
GV USB2
This is better than the one you posted. Zero upscaling of the captured video with no additional lag whatsoever. Really though, what you should be doing is use a distribution amplifier to run the a/v signal to both the tv and the capture device and play off the tv while recording. Doing it that way means you can use even the shittiest capture device without having your gameplay become hampered down by poor capture.
>>
>>3933362
Do you have a s-video distribution amplifier you'd recommend. There seems to be a lot out there and I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.
>>
>>3933362
>>3933448
You mean like a splitter?
>>
>>3933271
Lag on your capture device will be insignificant compared to the latency of the kids streaming your twitch shit.
>>
>>3933271
nothing does 240p except the framemeister and OSSC, you'll need to run a scaler to a capture card
>>
File: 1453523792910.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453523792910.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>3933759
>People actually believe this.
>>
>>3933806
show me one asshat, scaling to 480i doesn't count
>>
>>3933271
Don't try to play off of the output stream of a capture device; It's never going to go well and you're not going to be able to find something that has anything close to what would be considered acceptable levels of input delay.

As >>3933362 said, a distribution amplifier is the route you want to go; A splitter would work in a pinch, but would very likely affect quality, primarily cutting the brightness of both the capture and the display you're actually playing on by half.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/292066022911
Should be more than enough for your needs; Can't speak on the actual quality of the item, but at ~$10, it's not exactly a big gamble.

Audio will need to be split separately; Having an amp that could handle both would be preferable, but audio takes to just being split up a tad bit better than video signals do.

Extron is always a safe bet, and this one also comes with audio amplifying as well, but getting and making the adapters to actually use the audio portion may be more than you feel like doing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331803841103

Or for over kill http://www.ebay.com/itm/182533307379

>>3933759
Those are both scalers, not capture cards.

>>3933809
A basic USB capture device will capture 100% or a 240p signal, and display it by default as a 480i image since that is what a 240p signal is; It's up to you to deinterlace/process it properly so as what you're getting out is a 240p60 capture rather than the 480i30 the device is expecting.
>>
>>3933853
>you're not going to be able to find something that has anything close to what would be considered acceptable levels of input delay.
My USB3HDCAP with an analog input source through AmaRecTV has input lag on par with an emulator, maybe even less. I could definitely play even action games that way if I had no other option. Of course, that's a $170 capture device, not a $30 one like a GV-USB2.
>>
>>3933362
Came just to post this. It's solid, and while it is technically 480i, if you're running it through OBS with deinterlacing it'll get you goddamn close to what you're looking for. Also it's like $25 and it's practically indestructible. Unlike a goddamn Dazzle.
>>
>>3934565
I've wanted one of these but I'm nervous I wouldn't see a real improvement over the GV-USB2 or an old Elgato. Do you like it? It looks like it's solid as fuck but the price makes me hesitate. My only actual capture experience is in HDMI shit so I really don't know what I'm doing with analog signals.
>>
>>3935870
It's fucking brilliant. I've never used an Elgato or GV-USB2, but it's a huge improvement over my old Avermedia card. Full-range RGB/4:4:4 support, accepts 15kHz analog RGBS though the VGA port, it doesn't mind off-spec refresh rates unlike the Avermedia, etc. There's no better capture card on the market IMO (well, other than the XCAPTURE-1 which is the same thing plus passthrough ports). I do recommend using the Micomsoft drivers, though, as the Startech ones are kinda buggy.
>>
>>3935890
That sounds great, I have an Avermedia GCHD2 and it throws a fit anytime it perceives anything off. I've never had AmaRecTV work for me but it's probably incompetence on my end (also on an i3).
>>
>>3934565
Did you just imply emulators have input lag? Any proof to this outdated meme of ignorance?
>>
>>3933853
Stop implying 240p = 480i . That is an uneducated response to not knowing the difference. The same can be said about 720p = 1080i. There are few devices that can accept 240p, the ones that can't show them as 480i, so I can see how you would be confused.
>>
>>3936079
>imply
No. He stated a well known fact confirmed by countless tests done by people who develop emulators.
>>
>>3933759
>nothing does 240p
xcapture-1 by micomsoft??
>>
>>3936061
AmaRecTV is a finicky bastard with an appallingly obtuse interface. There are some decent guides on YouTube for getting it set up, though.

>>3936082
I think his point was that even if the capture card interprets 240p as 480i, no information is actually lost, and you can reconstruct the original 240p picture through software. AmaRecTV has settings for doing exactly that.

>>3936157
Don't bother. People who are bad at games refuse to believe in input lag regardless of evidence.
>>
>>3936082
>That is an uneducated response to not knowing the difference.
>The same can be said about 720p = 1080i.
240p is 480i; Simply with serration removed so that the individual fields are overlapped to act as frames instead. Comparing it to 720p/1080i is completely nonsensical as those are two entirely different resolutions and two entirely different sync rates(720p being ~45khz and 1080i being 33.7). The appropriate paired resolution to go with 1080i in such a situation would be 540p.

How devices implement their capture of 480i does differ, but anything that is capturing both individual fields of the image and not doing any pre-deinterlacing to them before it makes it to your capture software will work absolutely fine in capturing 240p content.

The same goes for 576i and 288p, except for PAL resolutions.

To argue that 240p and 480i are completely separate as you seem to be is the real uneducated statement.
>>
>>3933809
Any of the Epiphan Frame Grabbers will do virtually any resolution and frame rate up to 4k@60hz.

I have a DVI2PCIe and it captures 240p.
It even captures Neo Geo MVS, which is a very weird non-standard resolution running at 59.18Hz.

You just need to add the custom resolution and clock rate to the config and double the vertical resolution since it's progressive and not interlaced. The USB ones are the same.

I think you can find them for around $100-150 on ebay used.

New, they're like $700.
Oh, and don't buy the breakout board for Svideo/Composite. It's a $200 ripoff. I posted the pinout of the header on the PCIe card on vogons and you can just make a custom DB9 connector for it for like $10.
>>
no OP, but looking to record game footage from actual consoles, pretty much everything except jaguar and atari. The old standards like s/nes,n64, MS/MD/Saturn/DC etc, but also maybe CDi

No idea where to start. Got a good PC that can use OBS and edit videos and a decent mic and shit. I can record new PC games no problem and can probably record anything I can emulate that way, but recording from the original consoles would be better, right?

Are there any consoles that don't emulate well that I'd need a capture device for?
>>
>>3937775
Depends on what you're trying to do. For just casual playthroughs, you can get away with emulators for most things. As far as I know, N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast emulation is still pretty bad so you may run into bugs with some games. No idea about CDi. For speedrunning or other competitive play, you'll have to consult the rules for your specific game(s).

If you want to capture real consoles, a GV-USB2 as mentioned above is a popular choice for getting decent S-video/composite capture for very little money. For RGB/component/HDMI, most people seem to like the SC512N1-L/XCAPTURE-1/USB3HDCAP (all three are the same chipset in different form factors) or the older SC-500N1/PEXHDCAP. Steer clear of AVerMedia products for capturing retro consoles, as they're notoriously picky about having on-spec input signals.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.