[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else think the original SMB has better aesthetics than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: 4352.png (5KB, 507x442px) Image search: [Google]
4352.png
5KB, 507x442px
Anyone else think the original SMB has better aesthetics than any of the other Marios? Its visual style is just so cool and appealing, whereas I dont find the other games anything special
>>
>>3930890
I feel that was about 2/Doki Doki.
>>
>>3930890
it's pretty good. i like smw's too. idk which I like more. theyre both great for different reasons.

im not really a fat of modern nintendo art style though. its just gotten way too kiddy now. smb was more trippy than anything else... it really looks like something out of an lsd dream
>>
File: warioland.jpg (9KB, 267x240px) Image search: [Google]
warioland.jpg
9KB, 267x240px
It's great, unique and distinctive, but I don't think it's necessarily the only good one, or that the other Mario games don't have at least equally merits. I think 2USA, 3 and World all have their own style as well, and each feels like a different take in the Mario universe, which is great (and it's kinda what held back the New series in non-retro times).
I personally like Super Mario World's aesthetics the most (which also inspired SML2 and Wario Land, the later being one of my all time favorite games).
I think I like SMB1 the least if I have to compare it to the other retro Marios, however, I don't think it's not cool and not appealing, because it is, and it's special, but I think so are the other games, and in many ways improved on SMB, simply due to programmers being better at doing graphical enhancements.
SMB1 is cool because it's the least cheery or cute one of the bunch, everything about the game is so industrial, lots of metal blocks everywhere, soil made out of blocks, construction-site objects like the floating platforms, borrowed from Donkey Kong.
It had its dreamy moments (sky bonus stages), but it was mostly very barren and simple, but masterfully done so, it looks good. It's just the one that appeals the least to me.
>>
>>3930890
I'm not sure I'd say I like it better, per se, but there is something charming about it. Out of the NES games I usually prefer this one.
>>
>>3930890
I always called those stages "q-tip land"
>>
No since NSMBWii is my favourite 2D Mario game.

Also, I prefer the SMAS version of SMB1 over the original (the same with SMB 2 and 3).
>>
>>3930890
I was just playing SMB the other day and thought the same thing. It kind of makes me wish they had kept a closer look as the games progressed.
>>
File: SMW2.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
SMW2.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>3930890
I honestly feel that Super Mario World 2 has the best asthetics myself. The others are pretty bland, really. 1 and 2 don't even differ visually, 3 is impressive at times, but overall has a bland color pallet and some odd sprite choices. SMW is just "16 bit Mario/10". SMW2 actually has an artstyle and manages to do it well despite the limitations of the SNES.
>>
>>3933438
And then there was this guy.
>>
>>3933442
He was just saying what we were all thinking.
>>
>>3933497
Maybe it has pretty graphics but smw is better game
>>
>>3933502
I'm kinda the opposite of you. I think it looks rough, but if a FAR superior game. SMW1 is just cape simulator. That game is beyond easy and the level design is outright lazy.
>>
>>3930890
Well, here's the thing OP!!!

Did you KNOW that there were TWO MARIO GAMES in THIS STYLE that you speak of?

That's right, IN JAPAN, MARIO 2 was ACTUALLY very SIMILAR in STYLE to the first game! HOWEVER, it was KNOWN FOR BEING DIFFICULT!

SO, what they did INSTEAD was they took another PLATFORMER made by NINTENDO to ADVERTISE another MEDIA FORM called DOKI DOKI PANIC and simply changed it into a MARIO game for the UNITED STATES!!!!

THAT'S why MARIO 2 is so WEIRD compared to OTHER MARIO GAMES. HOWEVER, it introduced many concepts such as BIRD-MARIO, SHY-MAN and TURNIP.
>>
>>3933516
SMW was easy. But are you seriously implying SMW2 was not?
>>
I thought Super Mario world was the best looking SNES game for the first two years of that system's lifespan. It still looks nice.
>>
>>3930890
Yes, I also kinda like the game better, depending on my mood

>>3933628
>inb4 some gullible retard actually believes this
>>
>>3933438

I agree that Yogi's Island has the best art style of any Mario game, but it uses the SFX2 add on chip to achieve what it did.
>>
>>3933787
I'm implying that you at least have to pay attention to beat SMW2. SMW1 is can be beaten with eyes closed tier easy.

>>3933862
That isn't really relevant. The question was the aesthetic value. That's like arguing SMW1 is disqualified for being on the SNES at all since the others weren't. Also side note: It only uses that chip for the heavy scaling during boss fights. The worlds don't need it.
>>
>>3933891
>Also side note: It only uses that chip for the heavy scaling during boss fights. The worlds don't need it.
Not true, you can see a lot of sprite scalling in the rocks, chain chomps, balloons, etc.
>>
>>3933929
Yeah, that was a bit retarded of me to say. I moreso meant that scaling is the only purpose, and thus the environments were possible without. My bad.
>>
>>3930890
I think that Mario Bros 3. aesthetic is superior, it's a very nice evolution of SMB1

To me it is the most iconic Super Mario 'look'.
>>
>>3930890
>Anyone else think the original SMB has better aesthetics than any of the other Marios?

Nope
>>
SMB > SMW > SMB3 > SML >>>>>> SMB2 (American)

Not counting SMW2 because it's really a spinoff, though to be honest SMB2 is as well.
>>
>>3934000
>SMB > SMW > SMB3 > SML >>>>>> SMB2 (American)
SMW2>SMB > SMW > SMB3 > SML >>>>>> SMB2 (American)

Fixed that for you.
>>
File: 1488934411858.jpg (14KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
1488934411858.jpg
14KB, 300x301px
>>3933438
>defending a crayon drawing
You've got to be fucking kidding me. Mario has slowly decayed from a tight blocky universe into this bland, smeared out mess.

Sprite scaling/rotation looks like shit. It completely breaks the idea of a pixel, because it can now be any arbitrary size.
>>
>>3934218
Wow, this might be the dumbest post in this thread, which is impressive. Do you do autographs? I feel I should give you this sense of success since you are clearly too autistic to actually accomplish anything of value.
>>
>>3934223
Do you always get triggered when people don't agree with your graphics preferences?
>>
File: laugh.gif (103KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.gif
103KB, 450x253px
>>3934229
>implying graphical preferences are even remotely involved here
>>
>>3930901
this, while I also enjoy one's aesthetic.
>>
File: NES-SM-200.png (3KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
NES-SM-200.png
3KB, 256x240px
>>3930890
In these kind of levels I like to say 'nigger nigger nigger' along to the beat.
>>
>>3930890
It looks like ass.
>>
>>3934363
Hahah kek xd

Yeah well, the tune is really fit for it.
>>
>>3934363
duuude I can't get this out of my head now xDDDD
>>
>>3930901
To me it's least appealing
>>
What if the art had progressed like this?
>>
>>3934932
my body is fucking READY
>>
File: dégueu.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dégueu.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
The SNES version is my preferable choice.
While i prefer the NES version of SMB 3 to the SNES.
They are all good because the new 3D titles look too round, colorful/childish to me.
>>
>>3935669
The original is more AESTHETIC
>>
>>3930905
Yoshi's Wooly World was great
>>
>>3934932
Into shitty flash tier garbage?
>>
>>3933840
Isn't the doki doki panic thing actually true though anon?
>>
>>3934932
I'd probably Mario games more often
>>
>>3935912
It is.
>>
>>3930890
It's pleasant but Mario 3 makes my dick a lot harder
>>
>>3935669

>blue skies

not accurate
>>
>>3935912
i hope youre trolling. the issue isnt whether teh doki doki thing is true, the issue is that its such bargain basement common gaming knowledge that posting it on a mario thread is trolling.

you got me to respond so heres your (you)
>>
>>3939829
>common gaming knowledge
Hey I didn't know that.
>>
File: smb_fallfast.gif (15KB, 261x143px) Image search: [Google]
smb_fallfast.gif
15KB, 261x143px
I agree, the original looked more surreal than cartoony. 3 got the cartoon aesthetic right though, looked like an old Fleischer cartoon.
>>
>>3930890

Not so much the sprite are but the colors used. Those flashing bricks are magical still.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.