[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aside from ebay and local thrift shops what places do you look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: mini-psx_jewel.jpg (166KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mini-psx_jewel.jpg
166KB, 800x600px
Aside from ebay and local thrift shops what places do you look to find your retro games without being scalped, /vr/? I want to start a full ps1 game collection without paying £50+ for non-rare vidya on ebay
>>
also post collections if you want to share yours
>>
File: piss.jpg (191KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
piss.jpg
191KB, 1600x1200px
flea markets, yard/garage/street sales, the occasional visit to gamestop's website or buybacks if I feel like gambling, and the occasional gun show

here's my piss1 collection I guess
>>
I don't get that "full collection" mentality - most games were always crap to earn quick money.
Also lot of great games are JP-only, which means you'll inevitably need to use ebay. Unless you plan to visit japan and shop on otaku markets.
>>
>>3930875
but the way i see it is those crap games will usually be pennies to buy at this stage.
I egt what you mean with the jp-only/super rare games, I will eventually have to go to scalpers online when i need the last few elusive games.
>>
>>3930875
this. If you realize you'll never be able to get a fullset it's way easier to buy games, even at high prices at conventions. Just buy the good games your most dearly want. The end.
>>
>>3930858
Take care to sort through the CD sections of Goodwill/St. Vinnies and other thrift places, I sometimes see PS1 games on a large display with music because whoever was stocking didn't know or didn't care.
>>
>>3930880
They will still take room - we are talking about maybe 5000 games.
Also large collections mattered in 90s. Nowadays entire PS1 library can be downloaded from ROM site and put on few tiny SD cards. Just pick what games you enjoy, what you consider hidden gems etc and buy them. 200 items collection of actually good games is impressive enough.
>>
>>3930874
Guys, don't store discs horizontally - they may eventually bend. Also I would consider putting them into less lit place.
>>
>>3930903
could vertical storage increase disc rot?
>>
>>3930889
this.
>purchase a stack of bomb ass remix cds from the 90s
>tomb raider 2 inside on of them
>think "oh shit maybe theres more"
>go back and flip thorugh all 400 cds
>find 3 more psx games, a bunch of shareware and a CDi game
>>
>>3930903
What? You're totally gonna neglect the fact that dry air affects the discs too? Get yourselves a giant climate controlled humidor and store your games in there
>>
>>3930858
>what places do you look to find your retro games without being scalped, /vr/?

Yard sales eight years ago.
>>
>>3930927
Dude, lot of things affect CD discs - that's why they fucking fail all the time. Storing them vertically in dim place solves at least some of them.
>>
Ps1 is very annoying to collect for. Other than final fantasy, all those great japanese games the system is known for did not sell well in the 90s and now are all above $30. Its very annoying when i can pick up n64 carts for around the same price or cheaper
>>
>>3930929
This, I went to one yesterday and almost every game I could find was at some "professional sellers" (read:hoarding resellers). Even going early is useless because by the time it started and when I got there it was already too late.
>>
>>3931089
Dunno, they all seem kinda expensive. Factory sealed FF7 will replace gold bars someday.
>>
>>3931089
>all above $30.
WOOOOW so expensive. the expensive stuff starts at 100+ m8
>>
File: 20170418_214241_Film1.jpg (546KB, 894x1233px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_214241_Film1.jpg
546KB, 894x1233px
Honestly, the PS1 is a pretty hard set to collect, standing at nearly 2500 titles. The percentage of those worth playing is probably pretty low as well, but I mean, people collect full sets so more power to them.

I started collecting PS1 stuff actively maybe four years ago at this point. Some of the stuff I've had since I was a kid but most of it I've bought in the past five years for sure.

I find that old pawn shops in out of the way areas are probably your best bet to stumble upon something for cheap. I found my copy of Vagrant Story last weekend for 10 bucks CAD (or 6 pounds). This has been far from the norm for me however.

I think PS1 is a great system to collect for, but like any system at this point, the games are fairly expensive to collect if you're looking for rare or even uncommons.

I'm also lucky in that the retro/collector's market here is focused pretty heavily on Nintendo stuff, so a lot of the stuff I love to go for (PS1 and Genesis, mostly) tends to priced to sell.

I feel for you if you're just starting out collecting at this point in the game because it is not a cheap hobby.
>>
>>3931856
while definitely missing some essential titles, that's a flawless collection
>>
This is why I love mednafen. I have all of NTSC-U/J, at a fraction of the space. Don't think I'm discouraging you guys, though: someday I hope to collect for the N64, among others.
>>
>>3930858
Like that one anon said, I don't get why anyone would try to go for a full game collection nowadays. I'm assuming you're going for cib games too so there's probably a bunch of games you'll have to dish out $100+ for. I only buy games that are actually good or that I really love so I'd recommend just doing that instead.
>>
File: coll.jpg (235KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
coll.jpg
235KB, 1080x720px
>>3931856
>>3930874

Nice collection. Heres a little bit from mine. Sorry for the bad picture.
>>
File: are.jpg (261KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
are.jpg
261KB, 1080x720px
These are some of my rare black label jewel case games. Most notably PO'ed, Doom, Magic Carpet, and Alien Trilogy are moderately hard to find as a black label jewel cased game.
>>
So i've bought a PS1 with a Mod-Chip from Ebay. It came with 40+ games (all copies of course).
So how come some of them don't work or just don't work right? I've tried downloading .ISOs and burn them, but it's the same deal. Some of them work flawlessly, others let you play up to a certain part of the game and then stop/crash and others don't even start at all. What's the deal with that?
Is my "modded" ps1 broken or something?
>>
File: 75895879597557.jpg (111KB, 1016x518px) Image search: [Google]
75895879597557.jpg
111KB, 1016x518px
Gotta lurk and strike when you get lucky. Just got this a few minutes ago.
>>
>>3933718
Burn them them at a lower speed. Maybe something like 4x, I'm pretty sure that would fix the problem. That or the modchip might be really outdated?
>>
>>3930903
Is it bad if I stack my cases vertically but have multiple rows of them on top of each other?
>>
>>3930858
There's a secret reseller section on ebay where carts are $1. I get most of my stuff there.
>>
File: IMG_20170421_224325711.jpg (999KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170421_224325711.jpg
999KB, 4160x2340px
not a lot of psx but the fleamarkit is a good place to buy game
>>
>>3930903
I've seen a post on here that said storing games vertically will cause them to get warped a certain way, and now I see this post.
>>
File: 1469967148627.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1469967148627.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>be a young child
>grew up in a not-so-well-off house hold
>a lot of the ps1 games I ever had we're hand me downs (including the console itself, which was gifted) from family members or just the disc itself from places like Microplay
>take awful care of them over time and have them get scratched to shit
>feel absolutely awful about it even in the present day
>years later get a good job with disposable income
>slowly but surely re-buying all the titles I had back then, but with the actual case and booklet and everything
>get even some of the more expensive titles, including the ones that I primarily used for emulation testing for my toaster of a computer and my highschool's computers
>am still collecting to this day
>thankfully most of the games I enjoyed were shovelware tier except for a few majorly acclaimed ones, so buying them is extremely cost effective
>break them out once in a while when I have the time and play them
>take actual good fucking care of them this time

If I had the ability to time travel, I honestly think I would go back in time and uppercut the shit out of kid-me. I honestly don't know why I was so stupid back then.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.