[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody have a build dedicated to emulation? I have a Raspberry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: RetroPieLogo2015FeatImg.png (41KB, 512x398px) Image search: [Google]
RetroPieLogo2015FeatImg.png
41KB, 512x398px
Anybody have a build dedicated to emulation?

I have a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie that works fine but I want to have a more powerful machine that can emulate 3D games properly like N64, Gamecube, etc.

I put together a decent rig but I feel like $400-500 may be a bit overkill for this.
>>
>>3928637
I find the best bet is to play GC isos on a Wii. A lot of good N64 games can be played on the Wii too, but if you want the full catalog go Everdrive.
>>
>>3928653
You said it. It's nice that a decent PC can emulate all the way up through 6th gen (and even WiiU) But if you just want an emulation box that can push into the later Nintendo games, Wii is the way to go and if you want to play all N64 games with no glitchiness the ONLY option is real hardware with a flash cart.
>>
>>3928658
Yeah I thought about this (and actually have a Wii set up to do this) but what bugs me is Wii's 480p output. I'd like to be able to play high-resolution/upscaled GameCube games.
>>
>>3928664
Gross
Just run nintendont thru a wii on a crt tv
>>
>>3928672
JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT JUST GET A CRT

You fuckers never shut up.
>>
>>3928664
Well Dolphin can definitely do bumped up internal rendering but you'll probably be spending $200 or more on a PC with the specs to do it at smooth framerates.
>>
>>3928739
Not everyone wants to play games on a bulky, boxy TV tucked away in the corner of a spare room.

There is absolutely no way I would stick a relic like that in my livingroom, which is where I do all my gaming.
>>
>>3928760
sounds like you've got some issues you need to sort out anon
>>
>>3928760
well i mean if you want to play retro games with the wrong kind of screen that's fine. You'll probably still get some enjoyment out of it. Just remember, you will never be as happy as the rest of us who have CRTs
>>
You mentioned gamecube so just get a wii
runs that shit perfect it aint even emulation
>>3928760
get a load of this nigga
>>
>>3928708
>>3928760

Having trouble finding a CRT in your area anon? Everyone says just grab one of the street but you can't anymore, they've all been recycled.

Lucky for you I have a rare vintage Sylvania TV with built in VCR and RF connection only so you can play the way the devs intended. Usually it's $200 firm but just for you I'll do $100.
>>
>>3928637
what is this crap?
>>
I have a raspi3 with retropie on it. Put it together recently on a lark, and I was really amazed at how much I like it. There are only a handful of n64 games I like, and they mostly play well. PSX games run fine. Not interested in any later consoles than PSX. It also plays arcade games reasonably well (but for some reason I can't get Captain America and the Avengers to work).

It's got emulation lag at least as bad as you'd expect, maybe a little worse sometimes. So it's ass for most NES games. But for just casual play or rpg's it's fucking awesome.

I'm very happy with my retropie. Spending more than $50 on an emulation machine just feels wrong to me though.
>>
>>3928637
does raspberry pi really have bad input lag?
>>
>>3928760
>Not everyone wants to play games on a bulky, boxy TV tucked away in the corner of a spare room.
I do sometimes but that's no reason not to load my laptop up with roms too. What's the Winblows arcade emu of choice nowadays?

Wii seems really spotty for arcade emulation outside of specific things.
>>
I want to plug a small computer of some kind (maybe a raspbery pi) into my TV, plug in a USB controller, and be able to emulate up through PSX, as well as watching movies and shit. It'll need to have wifi capabilities so I can stream TV/movies.

Is a raspberry PI with some extra stuff attached the best way to go for this, or is there something that's slightly more expensive/better without just getting a full-on desktop computer or a laptop?
>>
If I were to make/sell a slightly more compact CRT television, with working USB ports, do you think people would buy it?
>>
>>3934719
No, you stupid fucking idiot.
>>
***SERIOUS QUESTION***

What is the point of emulating on a Raspberry when you already own a more powerful computer to do it? Is it just hipster appeal or something?
>>
>>3934780
It doesn't require a keyboard and mouse.
>>
>>3934792
*outside of setting it up.
>>
>>3934792
But how is it problematic on a normal PC? Don't you use keyboard and mouse just to launch/quit a game and that's it?

I don't emulate anything so I don't know.
>>
>>3934803
>But how is it problematic on a normal PC? Don't you use keyboard and mouse just to launch/quit a game and that's it?
A desktop computer interface isn't great for a living room environment.
>>
>>3934797
>he doesn't know about ssh
>>
>>3934810
>Setting up ssh with ssh
>>
>>3934807
There are a million frontends you could run.
>>
>>3934816
I installed and setup retropie without plugging anything into my rpi other than a power supply and ethernet cable.
>>
>>3934780
For a start, most people don't have their desktop PC hooked up to their livingroom TV. Obviously a laptop is more portable so is an okay option, but a Pi is so small you can just fix it to the back of your TV and it frees up your laptop so you can keep it on your sofa for web browsing or whatever whilst you're playing.
>>
>>3933836
no that's just a shit meme by idiots too stupid to change emulators. Some emulators are horrible and do have input lag and others are just as good as their PC counterpart. Some of the SNES emulators are horrible while others are great, new things are always being tried and tested so its a work in progress.
>>
>>3932141
try different emulators for arcade games use the different mames or try final burn alpha.
>>
>>3928637
Yes. Paying $400-500 to emulate a machine that cost $200 new and can now be had for $10 is indeed silly.

However if it's not "dedicated to emulation" then it's not such a bad deal. You'll need to spend that much to play many modern games at a decent resolution and frame rate.
>>
>>3933836
>does raspberry pi really have bad input lag?

Not that I have noticed, but I have not really tried any timing critical games yet. Just did a run through some comfy games I had not played in a while like adventures of link, river city ransom, mario 3, etc.

I was avoiding punchout but I know it would be rough.
>>
>>3928672
Dolphin is better than the hardware even with the slowdowns.
>>
>>3934703
wouldn't an Intel NUC do the trick and be way more flexible?
>>
>>3934780
Easy to output at 240 with composite cables, and it's much more portable.
>>
>>3935504
if by easy you mean editing dotfiles then yes
>>
>>3935520
All I had to do was download the experimental firmware, replace some files in RecalBox, add a line in the config file, and it works. I'd consider that pretty easy if you aren't retarded.
>>
>>3928637
I'm not into this kinda shit personally.

I think you'd be happier with any of the consoles and an ever drive as other have mentioned before.
>>
>>3935552
Yeah, just blow hundreds of dollars on what's essentially the same fucking thing because it's more "authentic". Fuck off retard.
>>
File: court.png (1MB, 1901x1070px) Image search: [Google]
court.png
1MB, 1901x1070px
>>3935557

>NES everdrive
$118

>used NES on ebay with 2 controllers and cables
$60

>8 GB micro SD card
$7

>total for every NES game ever on the original console
$185

>hundreds
>>
>>3935571
Yeah, now add up how much it'd cost for every console that's emulated well on the Raspberry Pi. Something like SD2SNES is fucking $200~ alone.
>>
>>3935541
I would consider that easy as well, but a lot of folks wouldn't which is why I typically recommend a $10 used Wii for most emulation on a CRT.
>>
>>3935557
>current year
>still emulating
wew
>>
>>3928637
RasPi 3. SNES usb controller. CRT. Recalbox instead of Retropie, bc Retropie sucks

It's how I play at night in my bedroom
>>
>>3935604
>>>/v/
You need to go back.
>>
File: bustershades.jpg (70KB, 720x552px) Image search: [Google]
bustershades.jpg
70KB, 720x552px
>>3935676
I've never even been to /v/. You can apparently speak to it though, I'm sure they're missing your presence, hombre.
>>
>>3935676
He's got a point tho
>>
>>3928637
You dont need a high end pc to emulate. I gate my gf my 4th gen i5 (Dell XPS 8700, not stocked tho) when I bought a new 7th gen system. She plays up to PS2 and Gamecube. It doesnt run all games smooth but that ranges from game to game, but that can be fixed with changing a setting or two.
>>
>>3935703
What point? "IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR!" isn't a fucking argument.
>>
>>3935604
New babies are born all the time. They're born with no money. There will always be a steady supply of poor babies who have to shitpost about emulation because denial.
>>
File: DSC_0241.jpg (491KB, 2248x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0241.jpg
491KB, 2248x1500px
I made a Pi machine when I couldn't get my hands on a NES classic.

The aim was to do it as cheaply as possible while making it look unaltered as possible on the outside.
>>
File: DSC_0242.jpg (470KB, 2248x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0242.jpg
470KB, 2248x1500px
>>3936386

The unit is hooked up for analog and hmdi output. The analog outputs 240p
>>
File: DSC_0243.jpg (763KB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0243.jpg
763KB, 4496x3000px
>>3936389

The pi3 has built in wifi but I added LAN support
>>
File: DSC_0244.jpg (700KB, 2248x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0244.jpg
700KB, 2248x1500px
>>3936391

USB controllers are hooked up at the bottom hidden under the flap so that I didn't spoil the look by having ports at the front. I have replaced one of the controller ports so far with a NES to usb adapter but the kernel doesn't seem to support the input properly. I hope to find a fix for this soon so I can just plug in a NES controller to play games.
>>
File: DSC_0245.jpg (814KB, 2248x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0245.jpg
814KB, 2248x1500px
>>3936396

Here is the inside of the unit. I know things could have been done better but I was trying to do things as cheaply as possible (hense the super glued dowels fixing the analog output in place). The unit is wired so that the power button turns the unit on and off and the reset button restarts the pi.
>>
>>3932141
If you are having lag whit any system beside arcade be sure to use a good power adapter. If you are having lag whit snes and nes games you sure either are not providing enough juice to the cpu or have a defective unit.
>>
>>3936386
So you actually out hipstered Nintendo. Not something I'd brag about.
>>
>>3934792
>>3934803
You don't really need a keyboard and mouse once you've got every thing set up. I'd recommend either using Retro Arch now that it comes with nice playstation esque front end or HyperSpin, the later will be a bit harder to set up but you can get proper art work for.
>>
>>3936403

Very nicely done anon. Been thinking of buying a dead NES and perhaps doing something similar.
>>
>>3928672
>Gross
There's literally nothing wrong with 3D games being played at a higher resolution. 5th generation games and on especially benefit due to the higher poly count and decent widescreen options.
For games that emulate well, it's much better than the original console.
>YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ON /vr/!
>>
>>3935571
>spending $185 when you could have spent $50
You're not a smart man.

And you forgot about the other 10+ consoles you can emulate with a Pi.
Even if you go through the Pi's supported console library and cherry-pick prices as hard as you did for the NES, that's still close to, if not over $2000.

It's simply not viable to deal with greedy resellers anymore.
>>
>>3936552
>Legit kill yourself.
If that's your first response to someone who doesn't share your opinion, I hope for your sake you never leave the house.

>And I'd still never increase the internal resolution.
I don't recall saying you had to. Do you always get this defensive over someone else doing things differently?
>>
>>3936593
What are you talking about? Did you just see someone say something about emulation and make it your personal mission to shitpost until they regretted it?

You have a no understanding of what a widescreen hack does. Comparing it to a sprite smoothing algorithm is laughable, and really highlights your ignorance.
A proper widescreen hack doesn't "fill in the gaps", as you put it. It extends the viewable area of the screen to show more of the environment. Everything's already rendered.

And to imply that rendering at a higher resolution is somehow "generating information"? You clearly have no clue what you're talking about, and should probably stop.
>>
>>3936604
widescreen hacks are gross dude
>>
>>3928637
I have a RetroPie B+ from 2014, it emulates SMS and Genesis games perfectly for some reason, NES is not great and SNES usually stutters

I prefer the emulators on Wii Homebrew, and the classic controller / Wii remote is nice to play with
>>
>>3928637
I keep hearing about this, what is it exactly?
>>
>>3938052
If you overclock the Pi 1B to turbo, the majority of snes games will be OK.
>>
>>3940728
What is google?

It's an emulator frontend. Basically software that gathers a bunch of emulators together in a pretty package.

It can run on a few different OS, but people typically run it on a Raspberry Pi, which is an affordable single-board computer designed as an educational tool/toy.

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki
>>
>>3934848
>most people don't have their desktop PC hooked up to their livingroom TV.
Fags. I bet they still have DirecTV.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.