[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any retro game that implements: - Action combat like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 3-FFA_8_3.png (5KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
3-FFA_8_3.png
5KB, 320x288px
Is there any retro game that implements:
- Action combat like zelda
- Grid movement like pokemon

I'm curious.
>>
Diablo
>>
StarTropics
Crystalis
>>
Rolan's Curse
>>
It's been a while, but I think Golden Axe Warrior does.
>>
I thought Zelda (2D) is actually grid based while Pokemon has always the character on the center of the screen.
>>
>>3928634
this is correct

2D Zelda is grid movement. Pokemon is tile movement
>>
>>3928659

Not sure what you mean; both use grids (of tiles), but Zelda doesn't "snap" the player movement, while Pokemon does (i.e. Link can move in increments smaller than one full grid unit)
>>
>>3928686
Link is not at the center of the screen like Red and Gold, and can move in increments smaller than a tile, as well as being able to move in any direction. The overworld is cut up into grids. Each grid is a stationary screen that doesn't move with Link. When Link crosses over to a new grid area of the map, the screen transitions to the new grid.

You can only move up, down, left and right in RBY and GSC. The camera moves with the player as well, instead of being stationary like in 2D Zelda or Resident Evil.

Both are great systems.
>>
>>3928691
Difference is not whether the character is in the middle or not, but how much control you have over the position of the character. In pokemon, a single arrow press will transport the character from one tile to the other, which is not the case for zelda.
>>
File: beyond-8ec16446faf4.gif (165KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
beyond-8ec16446faf4.gif
165KB, 500x480px
>>3928781
>>3928442
So would Secret of Mana count? Or not because you have more free range of movement?
>>
>>3928442
Zelda is 1/2 tile-aligned movement. If you tap up for 1-2 pixels and then turn right, the y position will align to the half tile grid.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.