[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Growing up in Japan during the Famicom era, what games would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: playing.jpg (11KB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
playing.jpg
11KB, 400x261px
Growing up in Japan during the Famicom era, what games would a Japanese kid be guaranteed to own growing up?

Just like most all American kids had owned Contra, Castlevania II, and Punch Out, which games are almost definitely in a Japanese kid's collection? Kusoge included,

Video to set the mood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdq1OhsC8YQ
>>
Isn't RBI Baseball the biggest selling famicom game over there? I'd post the picture of the fort made out of RBI Baseball carts if I could find it.
>>
Jap here.

We don't play.

We only Work.

Games are for the gay.
>>
Any Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior game.
>>
>>3923964
So why is Japan pretty much the only country besides the USA that can appreciate the greatness of baseball?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

I'd imagine that titles like Ninja Hattori-kun, Doraemon, and DragonBall would be high up there on the "owned by kids" scale, seeing as how they were very high sellers as well as being licensed titles based on manga/anime.
>>
>>3924020
Baseball requires patience. That is, GOOD baseball.
>>
>>3924020
Well we introduced it to them during the post-WW2 occupation. Why it stuck around and grew to the popularity it is today, I can't rightly say.
>>
How to be a normie in Japan:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Dragon Quest 1-4
Final Fantasy 3
Nintendo Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Soccer
Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium
Tetris
Xevious
Adventure Island
Lode Runner
Spelunker
licensed stuff (Ninja Hattori-kun, Doraemon, GeGeGe no Kitaro, Dragonball, Kinnikuman)

If you had an FDS, you probably owned Zelda 1&2, Metroid, and Kid Icarus.
>>
>>3923982
It. Games is to gaijin to gaijin no work. No honor play, honor only work.
>>
>>3924020
You forgot Cuba :^)
>>
>>3923937
>Contra, Castlevania II, and Punch Out

I never owned any of those growing up.
>>
>>3924050
>Xevious

What is Japan's fascination with this? It's pretty boring, even when compared to something like Galaga.
>>
>>3924035
Baseball had a big following before the war. They called it "yakyuu" during the war though because English was verboten.
>>
>>3923937
>Blue sky confirmed.
>>
>>3924123
>shit talking Xevious
>>
>>3924123
possibly one of the first actual scrolling shooters where you have two weapons
>>
>>3924183
>4:3 confirmed
>>
>>3924123
Dat background. Graphically it was huge leap forward compared to the black starscapes of games like Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Galaga. But more importantly, it introduced the idea of a ground-plane underneath the ship, and ground targets that you can target, but also fly over without colliding with them. It added another layer of complexity (literally) to the shmup genre.

>>3924267
Scramble actually beats Xevious on both those counts, but oddly isn't quite as famous, even in Japan. Maybe because it's a hori instead of a vert.
>>
>>3924396
It's because Xevious was ported to the Famicom but Scramble wasn't.
>>
>>3924020
Because most have superior taste and play cricket.
>>
File: sonic dogs.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sonic dogs.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>3924409
>>
>>3924429
member that?
>>
>>3923937
>loli strip boobie mahjong 1
>loli strip boobie mahjong 2
>loli strip boobie mahjong 3
>...
>>
>>3923937
Dragon Quest 1-4
Final Fantasy 1-3
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 1-3
R.B.I. Baseball (and/or the sequels)
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
Spelunker
Tower of Druaga
Twinbee
probably some other shit like Tetris or Xevious or Gradius or whatever
>>
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Tengai Makyo II Manjimaru
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Final Fight
Snatcher
Gradius II

Maybe, Im a minority
>>
I really wanna believe the Ganbare Goemon series because those games are dope AF
>>
I played Dragon Quest 1 on a CRT and immediately transformed into an 80's japanese kid.
>>
>>3923937
This whole post made me cringe so hard and exit out of 4chan.
>>
>>3924054
>It.
this made me laugh way harder than it should have
>>
I had a Japanese roommate for a while.

Most of his nostalgia went towards Dragon Quest and Mega Man.
>>
>>3924050
Why japan can make licensed games while amerifats only make extra large turds when they try?
>>
>>3924931
Why?
>>
>>3925178
He isnt a true retro gamer
>>
>>3925181
Define true retro gamer.
>>
>>3925181
agree
he should commit sudoku
>>
>>3924020
fucking yanks, get some taste in sport
>>
>>3925273
>0-0 ties
>fake injuries
>""""""""""""""""sport""""""""""""""""
>>
>>3925295
>thinks im talking about football
fucking burgs
>>
>>3924028
And yet people are perfectly willing to watch soccer, one of the most boring sports in the world.
>>
>>3925156
Japanese developers, for the most part, seem to treat it like they would any other game while American developers know it will sell based off branding and therefore think that means there's no reason to actually put effort in.
>>
>>3925302
>ruleset so incomrpehesible that wikipedia doesn't even let people try to explain the meaning of the rules
Nice "game" there, bong.
>>
>>3924035
>>3924163
baseball has been played in Japan since the late 1800s. Babe Ruth played a baseball game in Japan in the 20s.
>>
>>3924396
yeah you're right, and you're proably also right about the graphics contributing to its success

in fact i remember reading an interview with the gradius devs where they claimed that they put the moai in the game to create the same sense of mystery that xevious had with its nazca lines
>>
>>3923991
Pretty much.
>>
File: b46d38e1.jpg (40KB, 472x180px) Image search: [Google]
b46d38e1.jpg
40KB, 472x180px
Kinniku Man
>>
>>3924123
i believe there is no cap on how many times you can fire per second, so asians with their sewing-machine-needle fingers can crank out like 30 shots per second

i remember taking it back to the rental store and trading it because it was so lame though.

it's like if you had one of those 49-in-one carts - the good ones, not the AVGN crap - xevious would be one of the games you'd play for a few minutes before switching to something more interesting like battle city or kung fu
>>
>>3923937
>>
>>3928213
This I can see. Kinnikuman was pretty popular, and I like the series quite a bit myself. I can see the appeal.

>>3928227
This I hope is not true.
>>
>>3924623
add Portopia Serial Murder Case to that
>>
>>3923937
>which games are almost definitely in a Japanese kid's collection?
The Mario games
The Zelda games
RBI Baseball
The Dragon Quest games
Metroid
Contra
Capcom's 194x games
Star Force (and any of the other popular "caravan" shooters)
>>
>>3923964
I'm a Canadian and I like playing baseball. Watching it seems like it would be boring as hell though.
>>
>>3924020
in the late 1870s, an American professor in Japan organized a team with his students in Tokyo, and it quietly spread in schools because it's a simple game that only requires 2 tools and 4 landmarks to play.

In 1894, some Japanese high school students beat a team of foreigners at their own game, and it was a big popular news story in the area.

Many years later in 1934, a bunch of major league American players including Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth did a tour of games in Japan against local amateur teams and wiped the floor with them so badly that the Japanese took it as a personal mark against them and decided to form their own major league teams and dedicate them towards the perfection of the sport.
>>
File: Dragon-spirit.jpg (165KB, 255x353px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-spirit.jpg
165KB, 255x353px
>>3924123
I have no special feelings for Xevious, but I love pic related.
>>
>>3923937
rice
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.