[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought a PVM, what is the best way to run SCART to BNC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Just bought a PVM, what is the best way to run SCART to BNC? Do I need separate sync and audio?
Also, what's the best SCART switcher?
>>
>>3922883
You need the inputs that are on the back of your PVM. Probably RGB+S and mono audio. The best SCART switchers are expensive matrix ones.
>>
>>3922894
Okay, yeah my PVM has external sync and mono only, so I need something like my picture in OP?
As far as switchers go, are there any generic ones that will work or will they not work with the separate sync?
>>
>>3922908
Yeah, that cable looks fine plus you'll probably want a phono merger to be able to plug both audio channels into the mono jack (or a better sound system, the speakers in pvms are pretty poop). There are dirt cheap scart duplexers. Remember that retro consoles actually do turn off when you turn them off rather than going into standby and feeding interference into their lines. Scart is a blessing and a curse. It's so ubiquitous that plenty of low-quality accessories are available and its big-and-sloppy form factor often leads to crosstalk and outright shorts but on the other hand that same bigness also means almost all of them can be easily taken apart and fixed. As a general rule, you can sort of expect to get what you pay for but it sucks to wait for something to ship from overseas and then have to get a refund and try again. Someone in /crt/ can probably recommend a specific reasonably priced quality source. I used to like tinkering with stuff like that and getting a little of my blood on it but I don't have as much time to kill these days.
>>
Am I using the best output for each system I own? Seems like a good thread to ask in.
NES composite
Genesis RGB SCART
Saturn RGB SCART
PS1 RGB SCART
N64 S-video
Dreamcast RGB SCART
How would I send DC VGA signals to a monitor?
>>
>>3922990
>How would I send DC VGA signals to a monitor?
Plug & Play

Oh, you meant into a professional video monitor? Don't do that
>>
File: Simple N64 RGB rebuild.jpg (109KB, 686x862px) Image search: [Google]
Simple N64 RGB rebuild.jpg
109KB, 686x862px
>>3922990
On most OG charcoal gray US N64s the mod to rebuild RGB is pretty straight forward.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/wilbdil52/Modding-an-N64-to-Output-RGB-2611.php

When it comes to Dreamcast you actually might end up happier with it living among your "modern" consoles assuming your display has a VGA input and doesn't suck horrible dicks at progressive scan upscaling.

captcha: parfumerie audiology
>>
>>3923025
>When it comes to Dreamcast you actually might end up happier with it living among your "modern" consoles

Hardly surprising seeing as it IS a modern console. In fact it's probably the least suitable 6th gen system to be allowed on this board...
>>
>>3923652
You can get progressive scan out of all the 6th gen consoles. Xbox even has ethernet right out of the box and an internal hard drive too!
>>
>>3923662
You can get progressive scan out of all previous generations too. In fact I'd argue that interlacing is more "modern" as it only started to become widespread on 6th gen.

Also VMU, standard online connectivity? It's modern as fuck m8.
>>
>>3922883
>Just bought a PVM
lol
>>
>>3923678
240p is not a true progressive scan signal it's a hack of 480i. In what way do you think the DC is less retro than PS2 and Xbox?
>>
>>3923025
Gonna want to put an amp in an N64 or you're going to have a dim and shitty picture.
>>
>>3923904
240p is a true progressive signal, it was simply never ratified for broadcast purposes.

I already stated my reasons for not considering DC to be "retro". I'd add 5th gen to the shitlist too if I made the rules because of texturing and T&L. Unfortunately all that seems to count round these parts is some arbitrary cutoff date.
>>
>>3923928
I suppose that 2t0p is technically progressive but it's just 480i with the even and odd fields laid down on top of one another to double the frame rate at half the resolution. 320x240@60hz is something completely different while 640x480@60hz and 480p are synonymous - ditto for 720p and 1080p. They have fixed horizontal resolutions.

>>3923915
He could be one of the lucky ones. It's pretty easy to find out if you already have an RGB SNES setup.
>>
>>3923928
It is true progressive signal, but not an actual standardized signal since it is indeed a hack of 480i.
>>
>>3923928
>I'd add 5th gen to the shitlist too if I made the rules because of texturing and T&L. Unfortunately all that seems to count round these parts is some arbitrary cutoff date.

You can do texturing and t&l on a fucking commodore 64 in software. Oh what's that? Software t&l doesn't count, only hardware? But that would make the Saturn and Dreamcast allowed, and the N64 and PSX banned.

Oh wait, I see what you did there, you are just another segafag in disguise.
>>
File: 1412701657222.gif (2MB, 220x190px) Image search: [Google]
1412701657222.gif
2MB, 220x190px
>>3924068
I'm well aware of the technicalities. No need to teach me to suck eggs :)

>>3924132
Isn't that pretty much what I said?

>>3924142
>mfw this level of autistic paranoia
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.