[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>SHHHHHHWIPPP >Sheer unrivaled terror Also why did Blake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: downloadfile.jpg (66KB, 485x303px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
66KB, 485x303px
>SHHHHHHWIPPP
>Sheer unrivaled terror

Also why did Blake Stone fade into obscurity when it was better than Wolfenstien?
>>
>>3922298
I thought that was system shock for a second
>>
>>3922298
it wasn't very good
>>
It came out a week before Doom did
>>
>>3922298
There were quite a few Wolfenstein-like games that faded out of memory. The likes of Doom and Marathon came along and a lot of people never looked back.

A real shame, too, because many of these were all quite good.
>>
>>3922298
It was fucking awesome. System Shock before System Shock, easier to control and more fun.
Why the obscurity? Well, obviously Doom release.
>>
>>3922298
>it was better than Wolfenstien

Not even close.
>>
Wolfenstein was much more repetitive
>>
>>3922298

I feel you, but the sequel "Planet Strike" improved massively on it in every single way.
>>
>>3922629
literally the opposite.
>>
>>3922363
this
I mean Blake was bangin but there was already a myriad of Wolf3d clones
>>
>>3922298
It has neat scifi setting, but really nothing too different from Wolf 3D, unlike let's say RoTT which does a shit ton of things with such a primitive engine you can barely believe it's the same thing.
>>
>>3922298

Well, copies are never as memorable as the successful pioneer. It was pretty good though, played the shareware a bit back in the day.
>>
>>3922298
because it was still a 90 degree room shooter with no 3d in it at all?

the best wolf3d clones were Gloom on amiga and of course Rise of the Triad
>>
Wolfenstein 3D is only popular because it was "first," it's not actually a very good game and many of the Wolf clones are better. The problem is once Doom came out everyone pretty much forgot about all the clones.
>>
I liked this game because when I was a kid nothing was more intense then mindless mutants. Getting mutated into a mindless creature was something special
>>
>>3923356
>Rise of the Triad

That was originally a Wolf3d sequel.
>>
>>3922629
The sequel was also essentially another Wolfenstein clone and it came out after Doom II
>>
File: BlakeNo.png (4KB, 186x138px) Image search: [Google]
BlakeNo.png
4KB, 186x138px
>>3922298
>>
>>3922847

It had depth shading and actual goals to complete in each level
>>
>>3924368

The gameplay was still much more complex than Doom 2 though.
>>
>>3922629

You could return to previously beaten levels to look for secrets or pick up items. Novel feature at the time, even rare today.
>>
>>3922298
This.
>>3922363

The dev still managed to make some money out of it though. There weren't many 3D games back in the day.
>>
>>3924801
Can you elaborate on that? As far as I'm aware Blake II Still has essentially the same simple weapons, same 90 degree angled rooms, and more or less the same enemies as before.
>>
This game is so fucking good holy shit.
>>
>>3922393
Marathon wasnt all that noteworthy, most people didnt find out about it until after Halo CE was made and only because the same company made marathon.

Making any games for the Mac is a kiss of death in the 90s. Unless you're going to make a PC version too, and lean more on the PC version.

>>3922847
>>3922629
>>3924797
Planet Strike also had slightly higher resolution sprites and guns. It rendered aliens of gold worthless to play

> because PS had that plasma cannon that could destroy doors. Another noteworthy feature for the time since very few games had any sort of scenery destruction, and XCom isnt an FPS.

>>3923295
Rise isnt the same thing even though it shares alot in common. Implementing explosive projectiles is easy enough but the height aspect and moving walls was almost as much a leap beyond Wolf as Doom was.

Doom doesn't have moving walls, only Hexen improved on that, and barely, and it required scripting I believe.

>>3927332
It is pretty novel, requires a little bit of problem solving and the enemies arent pushovers because you dont really have superweapons (the launcher things feed from the same ammo as all the rest of your stuff I think).

But I dont like the primitive (tank like) controls that Wolf games had. I mean there's only so high you can set the mouse sensitivity and its still like molasses to turn. It was before the days of Wasd but given that it has a sidestep it should still have been possible to get going in it.

> fun tip that the same stock explosion used for the destruction of the security cube, and the detonation of the plasma gun shots, was also used in higher resolution for Rise Of The Triad's ubiquitous missile/fireball explosion. That beautiful explosion animation, much like the Duke3D explosion, was I think one reason that Rise was considered as much eye candy as it was. Rise really spammed the hell out of explosions.
>>
>>3923562
this, loved this in cartoons
>>
>>3927969
>superweapons (the launcher things feed from the same ammo as all the rest of your stuff I think).

There's a plasma rifle-like weapon in Planetstrike, but it eats up ammo like crazy. The launcher thing sucks. It can't hit ceiling turrets.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.