[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There has not nor ever will be an RPG as intellectually stimulating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: Xenogears.jpg (145KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears.jpg
145KB, 600x610px
There has not nor ever will be an RPG as intellectually stimulating as Xenogears.
>>
File: Nethack.png (5KB, 660x386px) Image search: [Google]
Nethack.png
5KB, 660x386px
wrong
>>
>>3922276

Hydlide?
>>
>>3922293
Roguelike != RPG

>>3922345
Explain.
>>
>>3922276
Uh......I don't get it. What's the punchline?
>>
>>3922276
Agreed
>>
I wish the gameplay was actually somewhat stimulating instead of linear shit with nothing to do or find.
>>
>>3922362

Xenogears has one scene in which a Pikachu gets crucified, yeah? That's negative one point for Xenogears. Hydlide has zero such scenes. Winner is Hydlide, 0 to -1. Objectively and numerically it's the more intellectual game.
>>
>>3922481
Super Hydlide is superior.
>>
>>3922506

Is it? Let's count the number of Pikachu crucifixion scenes in Super Hydlide.

There's one in the ship scene. There's one in the desert town. There are TWO in the wizard's cave section.

That's -4 to 0. Hydlide wins again!
>>
>>3922515
The spaceship crucifixion hit too close to home.
>>
>>3922276
>intellectually stimulating
lol. 12 year old anime fan detected.
>>
>>3922531
Lol, the kid should be reading D and D stories lol.
>>
>>3922462
>with nothing to do or find.
Disc 2 had some neat stuff, like Citan's sword and exploring Zeboim.
>>
>>3922538
no worse than big fighting robots
>>
>>3922538
Religion dude lmao
>>
the legacy of kain games count as rpgs and are deeper
>>
>>3922276
If they would have gotten ridden of the stupid Freudian and Jungian alter ego crap, it would have streamlined an already overinflated story and might have freed up time and resources that would have been better spent fleshing out the whole Jewish Kabbalah/ancient astronauts part of the story that was left stitched together thanks to the drop in quality of the second disk

Honestly could have left out the reincarnation shit too or just made them clones of the original contact and anti-type as there was already too much plot and back story to handle sometimes as it is
>>
>>3922531
Not an argument.
>>
>>3922276
>intellectually simulating
Just say it has a good plot dude.

Also as far plot goes a lot of jrpgs have better plots, not retro but I think mother 3 probably has the best jrpg plot, even for ps1 BoF4 has a better plot. Xenogears was rushed as fuck and it shows in every aspect, espically by disk 2.
>>
>>3922639
>mother 3 probably has the best jrpg plot
Meh, it's just primitivism vs. authoritarianism, and that progress isn't always necessarily a good thing. It did have some touching moments, though.
>>
>>3922634
How do you not have an argument to being called an anime fan?
>>
why you guys want to be falseflagging homos
>>
>>3922658
Because it's ad hominem, and you've yet to provide a counter-example to the deepest game ever.
>>
File: CrucChu.jpg (5KB, 120x240px) Image search: [Google]
CrucChu.jpg
5KB, 120x240px
>>3922690
>deepest game ever.
Seriously?
>>
>>3922694
>cherrypicking
>also too autistic to get the satire of that scene
>>
File: planescape.jpg (41KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
planescape.jpg
41KB, 404x502px
>>3922276
*blocks your path*
>>
>>3922704
DUDE
IMMORTALITY
LMAO
>>
>>3922585
Yeah that's the point.
>>
>>3922610
Blame the Gooch and FF8.
>>
>>3922704
DUDE
PURPLE PROSE
SO DEPTH LMAO
>>
>>3922701
There's no satire at all, it's played straight.
>>
>>3922713
Wew lad
>>
File: 61KPFN43GSL.jpg (75KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
61KPFN43GSL.jpg
75KB, 500x497px
>>3922276
>eva ripoff

Nah.
>>
>>3922713
Did you read in the Japanese script? It makes the scene much more comical.
>>
>>3922738
>Did you read in the Japanese script?

Uh, no. Who fucking does that? Nerd.
>>
>>3922481
Every fucking time.

Every time I think about the good stuff in Xenogears someone reminds me of that cringe worthy scene. Not that crucifying robots is better, either.
>>
File: 61-5J6eD.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
61-5J6eD.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
Yeah, Xenogears is stimulating in many ways.
>>
>>3922276
What's intellectually stimulating in Xenogears?
Discounted and misinterpreted Jungian and Freudian ideas? Or the vegetarian propaganda if we want to really overanalyze things?

I don't see what's intellectually stimulating in an incomplete plot full of holes and incoherent ramblings about religion and pseudo psychology.

There's a fine difference in being deep and DEEP, Xenogears clearly belongs to the latter category.
>>
>>3922276

Hm that pointlessly human-shaped robut has wings and a sword like a cool badass ninja samurai angel. My intellect is deeply stimulated by this. I'd better stare at a lot of pictures of elf-looking people with weird triangular faces for a long time while thoughtfully masturbating.
>>
I doubt there are any RPGs out there that are actually deep in a literary sense
>>
>>3922981
>"This game offends my pure Christian beliefs, therefore it's garbage."

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
>>
File: 1453813688539.png (208KB, 334x483px) Image search: [Google]
1453813688539.png
208KB, 334x483px
>>3923182
>This game offends my pure Christian beliefs
Now you have to explain how did you come this inane conclusion by reading my post, and also point out where I said the game's garbage.

I'm not even baptised by the way so being "offended" by a videogame's depiction of a fictionary religion is far off from being the case, if anything I should be happy about that since I despise the clergy and Xenogears does a pretty good job regarding that.

The game is written horribly and whatever "deep" food for thought you may find is invalidated by the writer clearly having nothing but extremely superficial knowledge of the theories and cultures he tries to portray in the game, worse, he adds a generous serving of empty symbolism to the absolute mess of a plot and lore.
The game part of the game, or rather the lack of it, is also a problem but this isn't the thread's topic so I'll refrain from commenting about that.
>>
>>3922704
>>3923240
>>
>>3922653
Yeah maybe because I'm a third worlder from a country full of immigrants our literature is stacked with this kind of story. After playing the game I wasn't impressed nowhere near as much as the opinions and reviews led me to expect

The strongest points to me were the art direction (including music) and the handling of the family, it was very touching. Plot felt almost standard
>>
Strategy RPGs have so much better stories than their turn based counterparts. Can't name a single one who does better than FFT, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle
>>
>>3922653
>>3923253
I don't know, I think mother 3 is deeper then just the generic "nature vs technology" that you guys are saying. I think its just about humanities loss of values. Tazmily wasn't so great even before the pigmasks came. Sure it was fine but it was still a facade that humanity failed. Maybe that's just me.

This article I think covers it pretty well. Its long but a good read.
http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=mother3
>>
Is Xenogears the "I Am Very Smart" meme of JRPGs?
>>
>>3923239
>The game is written horribly and whatever "deep" food for thought you may find is invalidated by the writer clearly having nothing but extremely superficial knowledge of the theories and cultures he tries to portray in the game

I believe you mean the translation sucked. I don't play this game in English. At that time, Square's English localization teams often employed in-house translators whose first language wasn't English. I imagine it was especially difficult for them to translate concepts from non-Japanese schools of thought that were already being interpreted in terms more proportionate to Japanese culture and history.

So your rant is kind of pointless. You're criticizing the writing of a non-English-native game based on what is essentially a round-trip-quality translation. Budgets and deadlines account for only so much of the issue, which is not as much of an issue if you're playing the game in Japanese.
>>
File: 1446790409708.jpg (5KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
1446790409708.jpg
5KB, 209x241px
>>3923263
>muh bait and switch POLITICS plots with demons
The more I read people's opinions on stories and writing in videogames the more I think people just want longwinded south american soap operas.
>>3923282
>I believe you mean the translation sucked.
No, because I also played the game in japanese, and no terrible translations changes the fact that the writing is conceptually and structurally horrible, decent prose doesn't make a nonsensical plot, discount philosophy or trivialized morcels of jungian psychoanalysis any better, let alone the complete disappearance of key cast members from the script, nonsensical paradoxes and schizophrenic characterization, especially in a game that is 80% cutscenes, 10% gameplay and 10% loading times.
So quite bitching about errors in the translations such as Gebler or "You're not my pops", they don't change the fact that the core writing is pretentious, inane tripe made by someone who's only vaguely familiar with the topics he tried to portray and largely put them in the story because it was the hip thing to do.
>>
File: 1461553238705.png (24KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1461553238705.png
24KB, 625x626px
>>3923292
>No, because I also played the game in japanese

Evidently not. And the rest of your post is just a bunch of retarded buzzwords cobbled together. Shit bait. Try harder next time.
>>
>>3923309
As mature and intelligent as your game as I see.
Not that I didn't expect it.
>>
>>3923292
Games will never be literature, I don't know what you're trying to argue here
>>
>>3922276
They actually fell for it, OP.
>>
>>3923270
Mother 3 has a lot of more subtle points like this, among them taking the traditional Nature vs Technology a step further by saying the whole argument is irrelevant functionally, by supposing humanity will always end up creating technology that can destroy ourselves.
>>
>>3922276
There's already a fucking thread dedicated to this game:
>>3918584
>>3918584
>>3918584
Learn to use the fucking catalog, you dingus. Another thread died from your ineptitude.
>>
File: xg.png (69KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
xg.png
69KB, 1333x1000px
>>3923282
> At that time, Square's English localization teams often employed in-house translators whose first language wasn't English.

The game was translated by Richard Honeywood, Australian.

He tried hard I think.
>>
File: xenokino3.jpg (139KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
xenokino3.jpg
139KB, 800x496px
>>3923275
>>
File: nYy74.jpg (83KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
nYy74.jpg
83KB, 200x400px
>>3922694
Kekkles
>>
>>3922745
Because poor translations can ruin the entire context.
>>
>>3923149
Well, yeah. Comparing books to videogame plots is silly. However, relative to games, Xenogears' story is quite complex and riveting.
>>
>>3922276
I did like Xenogears, but there are more RPGs with complex stories, FFT is one of them
>>
>>3923823
nah
>>
>RPG

TOP KEK
>>
>>3923705
There are films that come close to the great works of literature. The only reason there are no video games like that is because the people who play/make them are retards
>>
i see no one has addressed my legacy of kain point
>>
baldur's gate starts with a nietzsche quote therefore it's literature
>>
>>3923607
Fuck you, I liked it
>>
>>3922736
The only thing that game stimulated was my anger.
>>
>>3922345
I was trying to remember the name of that the other day.
>>
>>3923607
>lumping Xenoblade with the other Xenos
You are aware that it has nothing to do with T.T and was just given that name as an homage to his work, yeah?
>>
Is there a script with a correct translation?
>>
>>3922710
Why is this dumb rumor still going when Takahashi admitted that he's a hack that stops trying halfway through a project?
>>
>>3922276
>tfw to intelligent to play other RPGs
>>
>>3929417
No. The closest thing is that there was a really good Xenogears site that got shut down a while back, I forget the name of it, where it had a series of notes discussing and clarifying the more extreme examples of botched dialogue.

Principally, it's not that awful of a translation, if overly literal at times. I say this with my benchmark being, "You can at least understand all the basic plot points and concepts, plus the sentences aren't word salad." If someone redid it the main things you'd probably notice are names (e.g. Stone's gear "Alkanshel" is supposed to be "Archangel").
>>
>>3922276
never played it
>>
>>3922276
>>3922610
Yes, it is a very bad example of Freudian philosophy. No one even fucked his own mother!

Still (and even with the mess that was disc2) the story was very distinct and interesting and some plot elements were displayed with maturity.

Xenogears has many flaws, but it was bold, distinct and interesting and this is more than 90% of the JRPG that we have now.. Desu...

Also, I cant see a JRPG that is "deep "enough on any sense. Most are fun to play, have several themes and layers of interpretation. But if you need something deep to stimulate your intellectuality you need a book and not a colorfull game with sexy chicks and magic creatures.
>>
>>3923607
But anon xenoblade is the best out of them
>>
>>3931959
this is something I'd expect of the standard 4chan userbase
>>
>>3934667
yeah, most of us are normies, not autists with too much free time whov'e played every video game ever like you. get used to it
>>
>>3934256
>No one even fucked his own mother!

Wrong. Elly was literally a manifestation of Abel's mother created by the Wave Existence in order to communicate with him.
>>
Panzer dragoon saga if we're talking retro only. It's like a more complete xenogears
>>
Awakening > One Who Bares Fangs at God
>>
>>3923349
It's alright bro, you got caught lying and shitposting and now you're salty. Don't sweat it.
>>
File: fei.jpg (92KB, 570x1100px) Image search: [Google]
fei.jpg
92KB, 570x1100px
I never noticed, but what's up with those shoes? Are they sandals, boots, or both? Really stimulates my intellect right now.
>>
>>3922362
Rogue is an RPG
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.