[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever beaten SMB1 without using warps, the 1-up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

File: SMBBoxart.png (2MB, 1535x2100px) Image search: [Google]
SMBBoxart.png
2MB, 1535x2100px
Have you ever beaten SMB1 without using warps, the 1-up glitch, or save states?
>>
Yes but I did continue in world 7
>>
File: MarioBros.gif (2MB, 611x456px) Image search: [Google]
MarioBros.gif
2MB, 611x456px
>>3921959
dude, I even beat Lost Levels without warps, glitches or savestates.
Who the fuck do you think you're talking to right now? Reddit?
>>
Yeah, while also skipping on mushrooms and stars in general.
>>
>>3921959
No, and I'm not sure I ever will. I'm not very good at video games despite how much I like them.
>>
Played it for the first time in 2016, I'm not American, and beat it easily. I don't think it's very hard for a game of its time.
>>
Yes, I don't understand how people think this game is challenging. Not trying to be edgy or anything, but a few games on NES the people say are hard were honestly pretty average difficulty from my experience. I beat Mike Tyson in my first attempt, I kid you not
>>
>>3921959
Absolutley everybody has. I don't get why you'd ask, it's super common.
>>
Nope. Never even came close as a kid, either.

Like, I was fucking horrible at video games as a child. I didn't even realize this until I was older, and games got easier, with in-game saves. I was born in 1985 and I think the first video game I ever beat was Half-Life.

Did anyone else, when you were young, play games almost aimlessly with no intention of actually beating the thing?
>>
I've never legitimately beaten SMB period. Can't do the infinite 1-Up trick and world 8 just bodies me.
>>
>>3921959
Yes. I have beaten all of the classic SMB games without cheating (all except Yoshi's Island, I just couldn't get into that one).
>>
>>3922074

I've become pretty hardcore today, but yeah back then I would play aimlessly sometimes. I finished a lot of games, but they tended to be easier ones like JRPGs, or tricky ones that I had some kind of guide for. I mean I was quite good at some games, but really bad at others. It varied.

When we would rent games that were especially tricky and that I did not have guides for (Milon's Secret Castle and Legacy of the Wizard come to mind), I would play around and not understand too well and sometimes fail to even get far enough to realize that I wasn't solving the puzzles.
>>
>>3922234

I have played straight through it, but I've never done that infinite 1up thing either...
>>
>>3922001
The game isn't that terribly hard until World 8, if only because of the drought of powerups (if 8-4 has ANY at all I have yet to find them) and the game deciding to remove the checkpoint mechanic to spite you.

Of course, when you play the game as a child the entire thing seems like a daunting task.
>>
>>3922381

For me a lot of it is just how long it takes. I think it took me two hours, when I did this a few years ago? No big deal. I played through every stage in SMB 3 too, and that took four hours. A bit tiring, but still no big deal. But as a kid I'd just burn out. I'd lose interest at around that two-hour mark, if not earlier, and I wouldn't even want to play anymore, but I wouldn't want to stop and lose my progress either. So I'd reluctantly continue, but without much skill because I wasn't having enough fun to try very hard, and I'd soon run out of lives.
>>
>>3921959
No. Mario is repetitive as hell and aged like total shit.
>>
>>3921959
Yeah. Usually I like to rush through with warps though.
>>
>>3921959
Almost every day, but on special occasions I'm playing VS Super Mario Bros at the local arcade. I've only beaten it in the arcade once.
>>
>>3922002
>I beat Mike Tyson on my first attempt. No one will ever believe this lie or false memory
>>
>>3921959
Hell fucking yeah I did.

Last year I also beat it on the All Stars but that shit, I think, lets you restart on the level you died on. Lame. Mainly put in All Stars so I could beat SMB2 (the lost levels)
>>
i used to suck @ this game until learning that defaulting to walking instead of running makes everything 5x easier most of the time
>>
>>3921959
It's actually easier without using the warps due to all the 1-ups you acquire along the away.
>>
>>3921959
Yes
>>
>>3922002
If you don't cheat to skip to Tyson, you pretty much learn what you need to do to fight him along the way.

Most people just skip ahead and cheat, then get their ass handed to them because they don't understand the game's signals well enough yet.
>>
why would you need infinite lives
when you get a game over hold a then keep holding a as you select a new game

how you guys don't know about this is fucked
>>
>>3921959
If you can't beat this game without any of those things, BUT you can effectively pull off the 1-up trick, I don't know what your fucking deal is. It's not a difficult game.
>>
File: 1492106677209.jpg (99KB, 854x634px) Image search: [Google]
1492106677209.jpg
99KB, 854x634px
>>3923094
>using continues
>>
>>3922643
I never understood how people have this as a hobby but can't even complete the most basic games. I beat every NES Mario game as a young child.
>>
>>3923127
>using something programmed into the vanilla game haha owo :):):)
>>
>>3922648
I swear I'm not lying. I actually beat him my first try, he is a disappointment difficulty wise after playing the rest of the game
>>
if i practiced I could...but no...without warps AND without save states/continues no.

I can however beat 8-1 like a half a second behind the world record for that stage.
>>
>this no continues meme
what kind of wizard uses continues playing smb3 and not smb1
>>
>>3922392
That's literally what the warp zone is for though. You can quit and then get back to where you started easily, albeit with fewer lives.
>>
I'm currently trying on my NES mini

NO SAVE STATES
>>
>>3921959
Yes, on original famicom too.

Definitely worth the time.
>>
>>3925136
Who uses continues in 3? That game throws lives at you.
>>
>>3922546
Except that's wrong.
>>
File: 1490523326799.jpg (95KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
1490523326799.jpg
95KB, 400x319px
Yes
SMB2j though, fuck no.
>>
File: 130929-mario32-03.gif (5KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
130929-mario32-03.gif
5KB, 512x448px
This ended my every childhood run
>>
>>3921959
All Stars version.
>>
>>3921959
No. I haven't played it in probably 20 years.
>>
>>3921959
My problem with Mario was that I never played it often enough to get good so it would just be every couple of months I'd play it until the lives were done and then put it away again. By the time it got so I knew the earlier levels well enough to beat them without dying, I was bored of playing them at that point and then rarely got further. That was my experience with most platformers back then.
>>
i beat it for the first time ever (using warps) on my nes classic edition while in the bathroom taking a huge shit, when mario ran under bowser i stood up and cheered and i got doo doo everywhere.
>>
Yes, and I almost beat the world record. Missed it by 10 seconds
>>
Did you know that the PAL version of SMB1 runs about 10% faster and 50% more fun because of it?

And yet not even speedrunners like him use it >>3927369
>>
No. Last time I played this was in 90 or 91. I think I reached that night world's castle and that's it.
Using warp zones was worse for me, especially using those 2 warps in a row
>>
>>3921959
world 5 level 4
>>
I've gotten to the final level before, but I was never able to figure out the order to go in what pipes, always timed out.
>>
Beat SMB1 both on NES and SNES
Also Lost Levels and got worlds A, B, C and D but not the FDS version
>>
>>3927394
Really? Man I just do everything right don't I?
>Had Pal NES version
>Had NTSC SNES/Genesis/N64 versions
wew
>>
>>3921959
Of course I have.

If you can't do this you have no place on /vr/. This board should be locked to all new entrants with an accurate flash and hack-free version of SMB embedded into the website. Only those who can beat it all the way through with no save states/warp zones will be given a unique password to enter. Imagine how cancer free the board would be then.
>>
>>3921959
Yep, I used the continue code.
>Continue on same world: once you lose and have lost all turns for Mario or Luigi or both, hold A+B and then press Start at the Game Over screen.

don't tell me you didn't know about the continue code, anon.
>>
>>3925208
that game is about as fun as repeatedly smashing your head with a hammer
>>
>>3927369
>I almost beat the world record.
>Missed it by 10 seconds
so you didn't almost beat it then. the skill difference between a 4:56 and a 5:06 is massive. it takes months to bridge that gap.
>>
>>3923187
>he is a disappointment difficulty wise after playing the rest of the game
You didn't beat him first try or any try.
>>
>>3921959
Yes. No continues either. Same with SMB3.
>>
>>3928510
Mike Tyson's Punchout isn't really that hard. You just have to memorize the inputs, and they're pretty simplistic.
>>
>>3921959
is that supposed to be hard?
>>
>>3927394
Really?
All this PAL/NTSC fuckery is pretty annoying.

>>3921959
I think I beat it the first time on GBC.
That had a save function though but I played it so often that I was able to pull it off anyway.
Not sure if they changed anything in Deluxe, I only know that you see less but can scroll the screen, probably because of resolution issues
>>
>>3928485
>Of course I have. If you can't do this you have no place on /vr/.

This so much.
>>
>>3928485
What if people just don't like Mario?
>>
>>3928561
Doesn't change the fact that if you CAN'T do the things in the OP you are the fucking scrub of scrubs.
>>
>>3928485
wud b neat if they implemented this for an april fool's joke one day. if they're actually able to do it and truly make it exploit free (and assuming nobody shared their passwords) it would be interesting to see how many people made it into the board. People would gloat about it so hard, too, kek
>>
>>3928565
Why would you finish a game you don't like, especially one that makes things harder (no warps)? Just to call the game or the opinion of people who like SMB shit?

That reminds me of that autist on /v/ who platinumed Bloodborne even though he didn't like it
>>
>>3928596
Because it's the most iconic /vr/ game in existence, and it is super easy, yet there are people on this board who can't fathom completing it without exploits. It takes about 20 minutes. How is that anything like your Bloodborne analogy?
>>
>>3928601
>It takes about 20 minutes
Why does everyone who beats SMB1 suddenly think they can speedrun it?
>>
>>3928624
I literally just beat the game since my last post. Took me right around 20 minutes. The speedrun record is under 5 minutes.
>>
>>3928624
>beating SMB in 20 minutes is speedrunning

See, this is the kind of scrub shit I'm talking about.
>>
File: rogue_1.png (3KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
rogue_1.png
3KB, 320x200px
>>3928485
Not everyone likes the same kinds of games, anon. I think the Mario games are boring.
>>
Of course.
worlds 7 and 8 can always fuck me up and make me use a continue or two though. But if I'm lucky I can clear it without using continues though.
Same with the 2nd loop.
>>
>>3928667
>boring
>posts Rogue

I like rogue and roguelikes, but it's kind of funny you'd pick the game that would be actually one of the most boring for most people.
>>
File: eccofgc018etdslide.gif (2MB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
eccofgc018etdslide.gif
2MB, 250x224px
>>3928671
That's exactly why I picked it actually. Back in the day I played Rogue far, far more than Mario. >>3927059 I get why some people dig the games, I could just never be bothered playing them enough.

Platformers have just never been my bag. Genesis is probably my favorite old console but I've only ever played the first level or two of any Sonic game. I'd literally almost rather go the the dentist.
>>
>>3928640
>>3928652
>The speedrun record is under 5 minutes.
For warps.

Both the OP and the poster I responded to are very clearly referring to warpless.
>>
>>3928679
So it take 20 minutes to finish smb?
Without using the warps.
>>
>>3928807
It's possible yes, but nobody is ever going to beat it that fast without memorizing every stage and spending a good amount of time practicing specific strategies.
>>
>>3928813
Say that to those guys here
>>3928640
>>3928652
>>
>>3921959
no because i never really thought mario was a good game i liked megaman more
>>
>>3928574
they should do this, but make the input layout backwards
>>
>>3928813
Kek.
>>
>>3928820
They're talking about beating the game using warps, not without warps.

>>3928860
You're retarded, aren't you?
>>
>>3928974
this. obviously it's easy to beat it in under 20 minutes if you're using warps.
>>
>>3928974
I g-gonna give it a try.
Thank you kind anon.
>>
>>3928974
Kek.
>>
File: smb1-1.webm (3MB, 1196x786px) Image search: [Google]
smb1-1.webm
3MB, 1196x786px
>>3921959
Just tried this game for the first time. How'd I do?
>>
>>3929009
>unfortunately it's impossible for me to beat him again cause now I play in a modern TV :(

Well that and you suck. Numerous people have been him on leds now.
>>
>>3929089

Yeah, you're right :(

The truth is that I haven't tried a lot, maybe one day...
>>
>>3921959
>Have you ever beaten SMB1 without using warps, the 1-up glitch, or save states?

yes the only hard level is in World 8 i guess. Besides that its very easy if you are into platformer.
>>
>>3921972
>>
>>3922002
You didnt beat punch out in the first run. Holy fuck you told the lie so often you actually believe it yourself..
>>
File: star wars Cabinet-White-top.jpg (41KB, 450x380px) Image search: [Google]
star wars Cabinet-White-top.jpg
41KB, 450x380px
>>3929140
Sometimes weird streaks of luck like that happen. That wasn't me but I did beat both Space Harrier and Star Wars Arcade on my first try and then it took years to do it again. Seems unlikely, but it's plausible.
>>
File: 68723ecb73475934.jpg (20KB, 625x416px) Image search: [Google]
68723ecb73475934.jpg
20KB, 625x416px
>>3929163
Okay but its hard to believe because i played it and tyson is hell. Also he stated something like its easy to memorize this or that so he actually beat it because he could see through it and not randomly.
>>
>>3922002
Bull fucking shit. Even if you realize as soon as the match starts it's a reworked piston Honda nothing can prepare you for the lightening punches that knock you down no matter how much energy you have. I got to a point as a kid I could go through the game with out being knocked down but I had to play it an effton to get that gud. I couldn't do it now even though I used to be able to easily beat him back in the day.

Now on to Mario.
Ive beaten the game on an all level run through without dying and without cheating. The trick is having the flower power when you reach world 7. Hammer bros will fuck you up if not.
>>
>>3921972

What relevance does that have? The Lost Levels is easier than what OP was asking about. You can save, so you get all the time in the world to do each stage. There's hardly any pressure.

But maybe you didn't save either, in which case yeah that's more impressive.
>>
>>3925139

Yes. As a kid I would use warp zones in that way. But as an adult, I wanted to try it without.
>>
>>3929202
Maybe he watched let's plays of it.
>>
>>3929313
>You can save, so you get all the time in the world to do each stage.
You can start over from the beginning of the world you game over on in both SMB1 and SMB2-J.
>>
>>3929058
lol terrible
>>
>>3928483
>>3928530

Yes, really.

I guess they wanted to do a proper speed conversion for PAL, but either fucked up it for lack of experience, or for some reasons couldn't speed up the game to the exact speed PAL reduces, and had to make it faster.

Try it. I think that if you get a PAL SMB1 ROM and set your emulator to PAL it should be the same. However PAL SMB1 ROMs are actually not as common as one would think.
>>
>>3921959
>he didn't mention Game Genie

What a pleb
>>
>>3921959

>Have you ever beaten SMB1 without using warps, the 1-up glitch, or save states?

You haven't? How bad at games are you?
>>
>>3928524
and you memorized them on the first try?
>>
>>3927095
this is the saddest thing I've ever read.
>>
>>3930439
No, but there's no reason you couldn't watch a youtube video, memorize the fight in 10 mins, then execute it on your first try.
>>
>>3929352
Maybe he is full of shit too.
>>
Maybe he is full of shit too.
>>
>>3925118
speedrunners confirmed for shit at games they play
>>
>>3929058
i didn't knew you could run back in the day.
>>
>>3930480
>he can beat the easiest stage to optimize in 'hold right and jump the speedrun' half a second slower than the world record holder
>this somehow means speedrunners are shit at their games
no, it's just an easy game to speedrun. the only hard parts are the frame and pixel perfect glitches, which there are none of in 8-1.
>>
>>3930480
>>3930498
not to mention that ILs are short enough that the difference in skill 1 second makes can be massive.
>>
>>3929181
Sure it's super unlikely. Just saying, if 12 year old me beat Space Harrier on my first go, probably stranger things have happened.
>>
>>3930594
https://youtu.be/mfEOHcGFchY

related
>>
>>3921959
I could make it to 8-3 but no further then that
>>
>>3931640
same
>>
if you can't beat super mario bros without cheating you should not be playing video games let alone be posting on this board
>>
Dunno, never liked the game enough for that.
>>
>>3931640
As a kid I beat 8-4 eventually after dying like 1000 times on 8-3 (the one with endless castles in the background of the stage). Today there's no way I'd ever have the time or patience for that. But I was playing the gameboy color version which saves your progress and doesn't force you to start over from 1-1 every time you die.
>>
>>3930445
The thing about punch out is its a lot about timig and rythm. I have beaten Mike Tyson many times as a kid but couldn't do it now without a lot of practice. That guy is full of shit.
>>
>>3931632
>LCD
>>
>>3921959
Mario 1 is easy, so of course. Can't say the same for Lost Levels
>>
>>3921959

Never as a kid and as an adult, neither.
>>
>>3929354
What, how? In the NES version?
>>
>>3921959
never beaten it at all
>>
>>3921959
Washington.
>>
>>3940219
To do this, once you lose and have lost all turns for Mario or Luigi or both, hold A+B and then press Start at the Game Over screen.
>>
When I was 8 or 9. Once. Well over 20 years ago now...
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.