[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some good games for the ZX Spectrum? I'm trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1238.jpg (448KB, 2168x1593px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1238.jpg
448KB, 2168x1593px
What's some good games for the ZX Spectrum? I'm trying to understand the appeal of it over the C64, Amiga, or Amstrad CPC aside from it being the cheapest by far
>>
>>3921268
For starters it has the games Rare/Ultimate made for it, like Jetpac.
>>
>>3921268
It had Manic Miner. Other than that, not a lot of competent programming, aside from the aforementioned Ultimate Play the Game.
>>
>>3921268
Wow, never knew that thing looks so awesome.
It's really pretty.
>>
>>3921275
This. They did very good games for the Speccy.
>Jetpac
>Atic Atac
>Sabre Wulf
>Underwurlde
>Knight Lore
>>
There are a good number of games that were better on Spectrum than C64. A stronger system obviously doesn't guarantee better ports.
>>
Zniggy
>>
>>3921268
http://spectralinterlude.com/ Thank me later.
>>
The best thing about the ZX Spectrum is the color limitation
It makes everything look so unique and contrasted
The programming, especially the sound programming, was more than often horrendous.
Gameplay-wise, it leaves much to be desired.
I found most of the games interesting and enjoyable because of their flair, rather than their content.

Sim City, R-Type, Bubble Bobble, Robocop, Dizzy, Chase HQ and Robocop are all great.

You might also want to check out the Castlevania homebrew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWlYaYbldQ

For anything else, I'd rather be playing on a Tiger Electronics.
>>
There are none, not even from Ultimate. Spectrum games cost as little as $3, and you got what you paid for.
>>
>>3921468

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/bestgames.html

Proving my point, the supposed best Spectrum game of all time is also the worst version of R-type. Below it is mostly ports of also-ran arcade games like Renegade and Flying Shark, because even the most mediocre arcade games trounced anything made specifically for computers.
>>
>>3921328
I'm genuinely curious which ones since I'm currently compiling a list of titles for both systems and want to go for either exclusives on the system or best versions.
>>
>>3921475
Why even come in these threads?

Also if you took a second to look at your list you'd see that there are three games with a joint top score and that there's 0.3 points in the rating between 1 and 100.
>>
>>3921268
Pretty much all of Ultimate Play The Game's catalogue
Skool Daze/Back to Skool
All or Nothing
Boulder Dash
Jet Set Willy
Starquake
The Great Escape
Where Time Stood Still
Fantasy World Dizzy
Head Over Heels
Batman
>>
>>3921523
And I'd add:
Micronaut One
Highway Encounter
Lords of Midnight
Deflector
Firelord
Chuckie Egg
Rex
Cyclone/TLL
Dark Star
Thrust
Split Personalities
Trap Door
Laser Squad
>>
>>3921523
>>3921661

How many of these games would be notable if they came out on the NES instead?
>>
>>3921671
To be honest I think most of these games could have been successful if released on the NES, expecially stuff like Head Over Heels and Batman.
>>
Hostages
Light Corridor
Mystical
North & South
The Sword of Ianna
>>
>>3921671
Fucking yanks and their Anyess.
>>
>>3921268
I found out about this thing from Retro Gamer, why did they choose such an eye raping colour palette? And what is the absolute best European computer for someone new to all this stuff?
>>
>>3921948
Speccy for games Archimedes for best tech.
>>
Deathcase is fun. Also you should consider the computer was around a few years before nes and near atarisi
>>
>>3921268
>I'm trying to understand the appeal of it over the C64, Amiga, or Amstrad CPC
looking at it wrong it was a cheap pc with support for many years and was only really popular in certain regions like the UK,eastern bloc and brazil
>>
>>3922024
Not a PC. IBM compatibles are what we refer to as PCs. Spectrums are microcomputers.
>>
>>3921671
Very few. I think its telling that "The Last Ninja" is considered one of the best early computer titles but nobody even remembers that it had an NES port.
>>
File: europe.jpg (318KB, 925x1050px) Image search: [Google]
europe.jpg
318KB, 925x1050px
>>3921337
>>
>>3921508
I heard Green Beret/Rush 'n' Attack and R-Type are amazing on the ZXS.
>>
>>3922121
Why do yanks get so butthurt about microcomputers? Are you upset about not having your own games industry and eating Japan's leftovers?
>>
>>3922158
i've saved that one funny pic hombre. i've been eyeing timex sinclairs on ebay for weeks, i'm here largely to learn shit.
>>
>>3922164
I guess Americans might see that as funny, given their poor sense of humour.
>>
>>3922119
That's because the NES port was shite.
>>
>>3922158
>Are you upset about not having your own games industry and eating Japan's leftovers?
What do we have to be upset about when we were the epicenter of the late 80's and early 90's PC revolution, which eclipsed anything that the micros ever accomplished and single-handedly propelled american gaming to renewed (and continuing) relevance.
>>
File: sabre_wulf_04.gif (5KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
sabre_wulf_04.gif
5KB, 320x200px
>>3922119

Same with Cybernoid, IM2 and Renegade.

>>3921508

It's mostly limited to 3D/psuedo-3D games, like Enduro Racer and Space Harrier. Even then, it's arguable - Freescape Engine games run a lot better on the Spectrum, but lose color and music, while Out Run is awful on both consoles but slightly less awful on the C64. But for 2D games, almost every impressive Spectrum multiplat is even better on the C64.

Though there's also a few games that started out as Spectrum titles and got butchered on the C64, like Exolon and pic related.
>>
File: Kid Chaos.webm (3MB, 580x414px) Image search: [Google]
Kid Chaos.webm
3MB, 580x414px
>>3922205

PCs are better compared to Amigas, STs and Macs. Of course it's going to beat the world's cheapest color computer of 1982.
>>
>>3922215
Why use the Amiga and ST, computers from 1985, as comparison for PC gaming?
>>
>>3922215
I'm not talking about power, I'm talking about relevance. The microcomputer era lasted nearly a decade, but in the end had almost nothing to show for it, and yet their fans whine about why they don't get respect.
>>
>>3922245
What do you mean "nothing to show for it"?
>>
>>3922245
And then they have the audacity to actually try _throwing shade_.

I literally laughed out loud at >>3922158 - are you serious?
>>
>>3922243

When people talk about PC gaming, how often do they mention a game from before 1985?

>>3922245

There was Maniac Mansion, originally made for the C64. Elite, the template for every single space trading game from the last 30 years, was originally exclusive to the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron. Wasteland and Ultima, some of the most important WRPGs ever made, started on the Apple II.
>>
>>3922250
What is "throwing shade"? More nigger babble?
>>
>>3922269
How often do they mention a game from before 1990?
>>
>>3922270
okay kramer
>>
>>3922343
Huh?
>>
>>3922215
>>3922205
>PCs are better compared to Amigas, STs and Macs.
From the mid 90's onward, I agree.
>>
>>3922245
>but in the end had almost nothing to show for it, and yet their fans whine about why they don't get respect.
You're dreaming again anon
>>
>>3922180
it's pretty accurate tbqhfamicom
>>
>>3922215
Looks like a Sonic the Hedgehog ripoff.
>>
>>3922164
This. I'm one of those guys who posted a pretty dismissive comment about microcomputers in here, but they do fascinate me and I would love to explore their libraries more.
>>
>>3924354
Exactly; I really want something to dick around in BASIC on, and the options are overwhelming and widely vary in price.
>>
>>3921268
There is a page called Immortal ZX Spectrum games, it lists all decent games which still have some relevancy to them, ignoring memeshit like Manic Miner.
>>
>>3924805
How is it memeshit when Manic Miner is regarded as one of the best games on the system, save for the awful song at the beginning.
>>
>>3921268
>aside from it being the cheapest by far
But that's literally it.
>>
>>3921317

There were a few versions of it.
>>
>>3921317
The rubber keyboard will make you want to kill yourself though
>>
Is this the only time the creator was butthurt that people used ZX Spectrum to play video games instead of the way it was originally intended?
>>
>>3924813
Regarded by people who discarded ZX in 1985 for C64 after pricedrop and missed all the actual good games.
>>
>>3921268

>>over the C64, Amiga, or Amstrad CPC

Over the c64 was price for amiga or amstrad... they are not in the same league, the 48k appeared in 82 and was shit on skates when it was launched, affordable, full color computer with 48K of ram... the amstrad was launched in 84, and that's an amazing tech leap, taking account how fast the market moved these days. No one bought a zx48k instead a cpc, you bought a 128k or a +2, and you did it for the huge userbase the speccy had (thanks to the 48k).

The amiga didn't play the same league as these two.
>>
>>3925580
Exactly anon. There seems to be a lack of perspective and understanding of how quickly tech was moving from the early to late 80's.
>>
File: SFII Spectrum.webm (2MB, 652x480px) Image search: [Google]
SFII Spectrum.webm
2MB, 652x480px
>>3925873

We judge the Spectrum against late 80s computers because it was still widely used in the late 80s. And worse, the early 90s.
>>
>>3926324
Spectrum is the only 8bit machine which got Warcraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee-Sz-N7E4k

While even Amiga didn't.
>>
I got a PC9821 and I was wondering if the Windows 95 installed on it can be used to play Warcraft
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.