[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we agree that pic related was superior to its american equivalent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: Famicom.png (291KB, 640x398px) Image search: [Google]
Famicom.png
291KB, 640x398px
Can we agree that pic related was superior to its american equivalent?
>Got every NES game that mattered and more
>More genre variety
>No translation errors
>Loads of unique and interesting accessories that actually added something
>You could fucking make your own homebrew games with the Famicom Basic
>You could save in Metroid

>You will never be a plucky young japanese kid in the showa era growing up with a famicom
>>
>>3917589
As much as I like the NES I can't really think of anything it has over the Famicom.

I suppose I kind of like the VCR aesthetic it has going on, but the front-loading mechanism did more harm than good, so I'm not sure how to feel about it.
>>
The NES has detachable controllers and composite out rather than just RF. Those alone are huge advantages. If you have a flashcart or an adapter, their libraries are effectively the same.
>>
>>3917589
>You could save in Metroid
Look, if you wanna dicksuck on the Famicom, that's your business. But ask any japanese kid who had to deal with it, the FDS was a bad idea and the cart versions are superior just because you don't have to deal with the disks or the FDS unit itself.
>>
File: PDRM6989.jpg (59KB, 800x600px)
PDRM6989.jpg
59KB, 800x600px
Famicom carts and boxes are sexy as fuck.

But honestly? The day I got myself a Famicom I thought, fuck this, I'm getting an AV Famicom.
>>
>>3917589
Weren't the famicom controller cables ridiculously short, and permanently attached to the system?
>>
>>3917650
That don't tell me anything about what's bad about the FDS
>>
>>3917681
Are you honestly expecting me to explain to you what's wrong with magnetic tape media? In the hands of children? Is this something that even needs to be explained?
>>
>>3917692
yes
>>
>>3917701
Then may I direct you to www.google.com? They have all sorts of answers to questions.

Alternatively, be born in the 80's, and you would already know this stuff.
>>
>>3917650
>>3917679
t. someone who has never touched a FDS in their life

Magnetic storage isn't that bad, you know. It starts degrading now, thirty years later (even though I have never once encountered a defective disk). Plus, in Japan, kids could rewrite their disks for very cheap, instead of having to pay full fucking price for cart versions. And again, you could save in a ton of games like Doki Doki Panic, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Castlevania 1 and 2, etc
>>
>>3917740

>>3917679 meant for >>3917692
>>
File: 005.jpg (35KB, 620x395px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
35KB, 620x395px
>>3917679
That's because you're supposed to play with the system in front of you, so you can quickly reset and switch carts. The cord from the Famicom to the TV is much longer.
>>
>>3917614
>Be the only objectively factual post
>Get no replies
The NES is a clear step forward from the Famicom, though you can add both controller ports and composite output to Famicom.

The AV Famicom is the definitive version of the hardware though. I have no idea why the top loading NES is RF only.
>>
>>3917991
>not buying a famicom expansion port nes controller adapter
>not using the microphone to kill Pols Voice
TOPkek gramps
>>
>>3917589
>>Got every NES game that mattered and more
Define "NES game that mattered". And what more did the famicom have next to weeabo shit?

>>More genre variety
How exactly? Dating sims? As if there aren't better platforms for that.

>>No translation errors
Because it matters all that much if there are typos or mistranslated words in 8 bit games. Good luck learning japanese by the way.

>>Loads of unique and interesting accessories that actually added something
Who needs accessories if you can play most games with a simple controller anyway?

>>You could fucking make your own homebrew games with the Famicom Basic
Who the hell even bothered making good tracks with games like Wrecking Crew and Excitebike, let alone learn a language to make some "games" when you had more options on home computers even back in the 80s?

>>You could save in Metroid
What's so bad about using passwords? Do you really want to get into that mess with FDS disks, additional loading times, saves that vanish for no reason etc. ?

>>You will never be a plucky young japanese kid in the showa era growing up with a famicom
Get that sadfrog normalfag shit out of here.
>>
>>3918040
go back to your containment board

>>/v/

Famicom is short for Family Computer, and in Japan at least, it had a lot more to show for that including: A BASIC interpreter, a keyboard, a floppy disk system, and a modem for starters. It's everything the NES was plus some (well, the AV/Twin famicom anyway)
>>
>>3918030
Sorry! I could have sworn I mentioned how you can add controller ports.
>>
File: 1478472268421.png (10KB, 512x448px)
1478472268421.png
10KB, 512x448px
>>3917589
>Got every NES game that mattered and more

Well, not quite. I don't think a good number of Western games were ported over to Japan. Although they got the original Wizards & Warriors, I don't think they saw any of its sequels.
>>
>>3917614
The difference between composite and RF is negligible.
>>
>>3918040
>wah, someone doesn't share the same opinion I do, better tell him to go to /v/!

Wow, great argument. I don't even go there. If anything you're acting like a weeabo even more in that post, which is exagerrating how great the grorious famicom is while telling me nothing that wikipedia or other sites told me years prior.

By the way, it's >>>/v/ you dumb newfag.
>>
>>3918157
are you kidding me?
>>
I've honestly never played NES that much, but do the US versions of Zelda not have saving? All Classic NES games on GBA did so I guess they were based on FDS versions.
>>
Yeah I'm gonna have to side with babbage's gramps on this thread about the AV Famicom being the console of choice. You can use all your NES peripherals on it (sans zapper and four score, but all you need to do is solder two wires from the 15 pin expansion port to the P2 port on the motherboard for it to work) and also the system supports the expanded audio which the NES couldn't (VRC6, VRC7, FDS, and the Namco 106 and 163 audio channels)
>>
>>3917589
>Can we agree
well there's your first mistake right there.
>>
>>3918193
No, I'm not. They have similarly poor video quality. RF is just more susceptible to interference.
>>
File: 1488944186996.jpg (66KB, 707x675px)
1488944186996.jpg
66KB, 707x675px
>>3918170
>"i-I DON'T GO TO FUCKING /V/ FUCK YOU FUCKING NEWFAG"
TOPkek. You strike me as an N64/PS1baby
>>
I can play Famicom games on the NES and it has composite
>>
>>3918214
you could save on US zeldas
metroid had a save system on FDS (the disk system 'upgrade' japan saw which used floppys for a while before cartridges grew larger in size anyway) instead of a password system
i had no idea you could save on classic castlevanias on FDS but some anon in here said you could

my understanding is that FDS games could save, where their US counterparts which were on cartridge either could not or had a finicky version of the save system; metroid
>>
>>3917589
If by "we" you mean you and me then sure.
If you include the aspies who nostalg for shit made before they were born and justify it with all sorts of sperg shit then no.
>>
>>3918678
there is no reason to prefer the nes to the famicom. I don't care what any autist says
>>
>>3917706
why would you come to a thread to argue if you don't want to respond to people
>>
>>3919680
because he doesn't actually know enough about the fds to have a discussion about it
>>
>>3918157
This so much.
>>
>>3919732
you've never used rf with older consoles have you?
>>
>>3918608
Hey, I'm not the guy who tried to write a redirect for a board without being able to write to do so properly. Also
>>accusing me of being a /v/-tard while posting a random picture and typing in all capslock
>>top kek

Sure you aren't projecting hard? If you feel like proving how much of a /v/ regular you are then feel free to do so but don't put words in my mouth.
>>
>>3917991
I agree with the AV Famicom being great but I think it had flaws in comparison with the original Famicom.

First of all, the AV Famicom had no microphone anywhere, not even on the second controller, they should've added a 3.5mm microphone jack next to the controller ports so you can plug in a karaoke microphone (which was common in Japan at the time since they love karaoke) to use as a microphone for games like Zelda I and Takeshi's Challenge.

Second, the dogbone controller is slightly uncomfortable, it just doesn't work for Famicom games.
But at least it beats plugging in a US NES controller with their sharp edges which hurt your palms, the shape of the original Japanese Famicom controllers are the best of both worlds.
They should've stuck with Famicom-like shaped controllers but detachable this time around.

Third, the design is bland and isn't the famous gold and red design of the original Famicom.
I can buy the more '90s-esque design of the AV Famicom but changing the iconic colors is just a bit too much for me.
They should've stuck with the more iconic gold and red color scheme of the original Famicom.

The AV Famicom is great but I think it could've been better to the point that the original Famicom would've been obsolete.
>>
File: karaoke_studio5[1].jpg (37KB, 359x324px) Image search: [Google]
karaoke_studio5[1].jpg
37KB, 359x324px
>>3920538
Famicom Karaoke has its own mic attached to the cart. The controller mic is just a novelty.
>>
>>3920562
Yeah, I knew that.
But what if I want to play some of the microphone Famicom games like Zelda I, Kid Icarus or Takeshi's Challenge?
Is there an alternative for the AV Famicom that works with these games?
>>
I love 2 feet long controllers.
>>
The only thing the original Famicom has over any of the later iterations are top tier aesthetics and the mic. RF only and nondetachable controllers kill its worth as a purely gaming machine in 2017.
>no translation errors
Loads of Famicom games have Engrish to begin with.
>>
File: astrocity.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
astrocity.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
>>3920568
Mod the console

>>3920570
>2 feet long controllers
So do I. Pic related. kek
>>
>>3917589
>controllers are wired in
>to the BACK
>>
>>3917589
Except for the fact that all versions up to the AV Famicom had hardwired controllers (the Twin Famicom was released after the NES, making this a bit weird, but then again that was made by Sharp) the Famicom is far superior to the NES. Only American nostalgiafags play NES at this point.
>>
>>3920739
Source on microphone mods for AV Famicom?
I may handpaint my AV Famicom to make it resemble an original Famicom more.

And any alternative controllers more similarly shaped to the Famicom controllers?
>inb4 NES controller
The Famicom controllers are rectangular like the NES but they have slightly more curved edges and aren't sharp.
>inb4 the NES30 or FC30 controllers
I hate the four button layout and the wireless method of connection
>>
>>3920771
>painting a fucking video game system
It's gonna be really gross if you put paint on it.
>any alternative controllers more similarly shaped to the Famicom controllers
I know this Famiclone controller is available with the 7pin plug if you look for a while. They're a bit cheaply made, the color scheme is awful and mine broke after a while, but they are based on the rounded Famicom shape and feel great in your hand.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/15Pin-Simba-Game-Controller-for-FC-Gamepad-2pcs/1200059_32617760795.html
>>
>>3920805
Just found the 7pin version. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Japanese-8-bit-console-style-NES-Controller-GamePad-with-Turbo-A-B-Button/32435956857.html
>>
>>3920771
I feel totally the same about the NES controller and the wireless meme controllers. I wish there were new controllers with the 7pin plug that are decent quality and not just plain copies of the shitty NES controller. It feels like you're just cheaping out then, and I like having turbo buttons.
>>
>Original Famicom
Pros:
- Beautiful aesthetic
Cons:
- RF only, prone to jailbars even when AV modded
- Short, non-detachable controllers

>Twin Famicom
Pros:
- Composite video
- FDS built in
- Some models have turbo controllers
Cons:
- Short, non-detachable controllers
- Still prone to jailbars
- Fucked up audio (simple fix, though)
- Somewhat bulky
- Needs a custom adapter cable to use an FDSstick

>AV Famicom
Pros:
- Detachable controllers
- Excellent composite video, no jailbars
Cons:
- No second controller mic

>Front-loader NES
Pros:
- Good composite video, usually no noticeable jailbars
Cons:
- Unreliable cartridge mechanism
- No expansion audio
- Not compatible with the FDS

>Top-loader NES
Pros:
- Literally nothing
Cons:
- RF only, terrible video quality with jailbars
- No expansion audio
- Not compatible with the FDS

There's no one perfect Famicom/NES, unfortunately. The AV Famicom comes closest in my opinion, as long as you're okay with not having the controller mic. It's theoretically possible to add one, but it's a nontrivial mod and there aren't any pre-built circuits available that I'm aware of, so you're on your own.
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11987
>>
>>3920771
>Source
google
>>
I torrented a bunch of nes ROMs and I don't think there's any Jap games in there, are there any that are worth playing or am I good?
>>
>>3920568
Well most people don't care about that tiny bit of added content that comes from the microphone and are much happier to have a console with composite out, regular controller ports, standard expansion ports and a normal cart slot right out of the box. Adding a mic to either a top loading NES or AV Famicom would be prohibitive though. I suppose if that's really worth it then a front loading NES with a blinking light win mod, an expanded audio restore and a mic mod or a classic Famicom with a controller adapter and a composite mod would be the only way to have every feature. Actually I guess you'd need the Famicom to have the expansion slot for the gambling attachments and stuff... I see where your argument is heading but the mic is really essentially nothing.
>>
>>3921010
So a Famicom then because it has a regular controller port and normal 60 pin cart slot right out of the box.
>>
>>3921586
You still need an adapter to use NES controllers although most people do seem to not even know that option exists - plus adding a composite output.
>>
>>3918040
You just clearly don't know what you're talking about. it's obvious you're visiting from /v/, and we don't need more uninformed, reddit-spacing posterss, we have enough already.
>>
>>3918157
Not on the Famicom, especially when you have to tune it to channel 95 in the US. AV Fami is the perfect version of the machine, but the original Fami is much comfier.
>>
So what's better, the disc system with a stick or a famicom with a flash cart? I've heard the sound is different, is that true?
>>
>>3922281
For FDS games you'll definitely want FDSStick. The everdrive runs FDS games, but the extra sound channel sounds fucking terrible and out of tune. It makes playing some games painful.
>>
>>3922281
Yes, you should absolutely use a real FDS RAM adapter with an FDSstick or similar. Krikzz can't be assed to fix the fucked up expansion sound on his carts.
>>
>>3922161
>AV Fami is the perfect version of the machine
Got one of these and an Everdrive N8, it's pretty much perfect.
>>
>>3922290
>>3922292
Does the stick work with the twin fami yet?
>>
>>3922338
It does, but you have to make an adapter cable. I haven't seen anyone selling premade ones, but it shouldn't be that hard to make.
http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/
>>
>>3922353
the guy sent me the adapter for free
>>
>>3922292
It's also cheaper than the Everdrive, so it's a way better choice if you're only playing FDS-games, especially since it makes you able to use the real sound chip.
>>
Speaking of the FDS I just discovered there's a version of Knight Lore for it. This may have been the very beginning of Nintendo's relationship with Ultimate Play The Game aka Rare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7rMly1_8I
>>
>>3922132
Okay, I will just use a NES controller to Famicom expansion adapter for NES controllers and install the NESRGB mod kit for the best quality (my BVM supports RGB and my bedroom CRT has YPbPr and can use a SCART to YPbPr converter) on my original Famicom, that would be the perfect Famicom in my opinion.
>>
>>3923010
Except the color-palette(s) is/are wrong and literally just made up with the NESRGB. It's about as authentic as playing on a clone.
>>
>>3923053
Not only are the palettes wrong, it's literally impossible to make a correct one due to the color space differences. And you can't even just put the one you like the most on there, because the creator of the board is the only one who can add palettes.
>>
>>3923064
Exactly, anon. Buy a Playchoice-10 cabinet or an AVS/NT/Chinese RGB Clone, but don't pretend the NESRGB is the 'ultimate' NES/FC.
>>
>>3923053
>>3923068
Well, apparently, you can mod in your own palettes or request Tim Worthington which palettes you want, and the NTSC Hardware palette is my favorite for playing on my BVM.

Also, modding an original Famicom with composite is easy and if you know how, you can even remove the jailbars.
>>
>>3923078
Composite mod it where it's at if you don't have an AV Fami. That said I still run RF on my original Famis, I have an AV if I need better video though. I just personally can't get down with the RGB mods. I'm all for RGB on consoles that natively support it, my PC Engine looks badass in RGB, but the Famicom is what it is and I'm fine with that.
>>
>>3923078
>you can mod in your own palettes
Nope.
>or request Tim Worthington which palettes you want
Only if you pay him extra. And maybe not even then. (Did the Wavebeam guy ever manage to coax him into making a firmware?)

I really want to like the NESRGB, but Tim Worthington is too much of a cocksucker for me to be willing to support him.
>>
>>3923091
You can just do the relatively simple composite mod for the Famicom and if you know what you're doing, you can even remove the jailbars which is a common problem with original Famicom composite mods done by amateurs.
>>
>>3923096
I have an AV Famicom, I don't need mods.
>>
>>3920984
I'm sure there are. I'm not really an expert on Japanese games but from my knowledge NTSC and PAL games are generally easier if it is a 1:1 port.
>Torrenting ROMs
Literally why? Who the fuck actually seeds NES ROMs? DDL from the romdepot like a normal person Jesus.
>>
>>3918157
It isn't. I played with both as a kid and composite is a major step up in video quality.
>>
>>3923097
>i didn't read the thread

>>3923307
>romdepot
>normal person
Your mommy is lying to you about you being normal
>>
>>3923493
Or download them from literally any of the other 5 or 6 reputable sites. Hell, archive.org has the no intro set I think.
>>
>>3923307
It was like 700+ games, don't know of any game hosting site that can let me do the same.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.