[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a good Saturn emulator? I have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (9KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 253x199px
Has there ever been a good Saturn emulator? I have been wanting one for 20 years
>>
Good? Not really.

Somewhat decent? Yeah, SSF and Mednafen.
>>
>>3916730
nope. I use SSF but its annoying to use
>>
Ill jump in just to say I found it easier to ebay the console at 60 bucks, then buy the games. Not that I wanted to, I just live in Illinois and there were quite a few sold here so games arent as hard to come by.
>>
>>3916730
>>3918538
>>3916741
SSF has been emulating all the Saturn games worth playing for at least a decade.

>it's annoying to use

Yeah, it doesn't run on Android and you have to mount CDs manually. Deal with it.
>>
>>3918541
stfu, SSF has a shit ton of input lag and other shitty problems
>>
What's the point of using shitty emulators when you can just burn the iso and play on real hardware
>>
>>3916730
>Has there ever been a good Saturn emulator?
holy shit, SSF and Mednafen are fine

stop pretending like everything is somehow broke and unusable
>>
No.
>>
>>3918541
This. Everything I've tried to play has been fine.
>>
>>3916730
Yeah SSF will run all of the worthwhile games well
>>
File: 1427856243048.gif (2MB, 639x361px) Image search: [Google]
1427856243048.gif
2MB, 639x361px
SSF can play Super Tempo and that's good enough for me.

There's also that other saturn emulator you can use for the games it can run if you're feeling just a tad too lazy. Check the wiki in the sticky fo' mo info.
>>
ssf can run even the most obscure mahjong games perfectly.
>>
>>3916730
Nice meme dick head.
>>
File: 1426266714310.gif (47KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1426266714310.gif
47KB, 800x640px
>I have been wanting one for 20 years

Stop lying. 20 years ago Nestcile was barely just released.

>Looks up wikipedia

Shit, it actually turned 20 ten days ago. Happy birthday Nesticle.

Anyway when I'm not playing on the actual Saturn, I use SSF and Yabause, depending on which is the most compatible. I've had more luck with Yabause so far.
>>
>>3918773
Does it need a super slow burner though?
I remember ten years ago, wasting discs figuring out that ps1 can only run discs burned at 2x speed and no higher.
>>
File: mednaffe_controller_setup_gtk2.png (122KB, 1043x762px) Image search: [Google]
mednaffe_controller_setup_gtk2.png
122KB, 1043x762px
I finally tried Mednafen after assuming SSF was the only worthwhile Saturn emulator, and holy shit was I surprised. Guardian Heroes somehow manages to run full-speed on an old Core2Duo machine. Plus, it has full bin/cue support, so no more mounting images.

Get the latest Mednafen, and then get the "Mednaffe" GUI to make it easier to dive in.
>>
File: newlogo[1].png (63KB, 696x204px) Image search: [Google]
newlogo[1].png
63KB, 696x204px
>>3921514

Recaptcha is a very good dev and very dedicated.

Mednafen Saturn is constantly being worked on, and will soon surpass SSF as the go-to Saturn emulator. For most people, it's already good enough. I use it since I can't stand SSF's GUI, and mounting CDs is a pain.

https://mednafen.github.io/
>>
File: 1409348033151.png (937KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1409348033151.png
937KB, 1440x1080px
>>3921520
Oh fuck, seriously?

And here I am, LIKE AN IDIOT, still using SSF and fiddling around with the shitty mounting software no one likes.

Thanks for the tip, anon.
>>
>>3920857
My laptop drive does 8x or 16x at it's slowest (can't remember) and my discs play fine.

I use the cheapest shit from Newegg too. Like $7 for 50 discs.
>>
>>3921528

I can't say it'll work for all games you throw at it. There's bound to be issues because it's considered incomplete. I'm sure there's games SSF can play that Mednafen saturn can't.

But it has the same philosophy as Mednafen PSX. High accuracy, high game compatibility, and software only. So no HD. For some that's a deal breaker.
>>
>>3921538
>>3921514

The other Saturn emu is Yabause, which has been dead and abandoned for years. Mednafen in contrast is getting updates.
>>
>>3916730
saturn + burnt cds
>>
The only complaint I have with SSF is that it sucks to set the controllers, it only works when it wants to.
>>
>>3920835
>larping faggots

Just post after you look it up, dumbass.
>>
>>3921542
best way to do this wo swap trick?
>>
>>3916730
Are there any worthwhile Saturn games
>>
>>3923831
Quite a few! Look up some rec. lists.

My personal recommendation would be Super Tempo.
>>
>>3920835
Why would I expect this namefag can't read or comprehend a simple statment.
>>
>>3920857
That's a load of BS I burn ps1 games at 4x speed all the time and they work fine
>>
>>3921946

Modchip and pseudo saturn take about the same amount of time.

Pseudosaturn seems easier when you read about it, because there is no soldering, you just use the swap trick once to flash an action replay cart.

The issue is you need to mod the Saturn with some tape to get the swap trick to work and you lose the functionality of the Action Replay.

With probably less effort and the same amount of money as an AR cart you could get the modchip in as a noob. I'm pretty sure it's like 1 or 2 wires. Super easy.

I went PseudoSaturn and slightly regret it but only slightly.
Modchip makes sense if you already have a soldering iron
PseudoSaturn makes sense if you already have an ActionReplay cart and don't want to play the games that use the extra ram/don't care about what the extra ram does in those games. I'm pretty sure they're all arcade ports that can be played elsewhere.
>>
>>3923968
More accurately, AR carts have trouble with certain 1MB games that do not detect it correctly. This is not a flaw with Pseudosaturn. Since you already need a 1MB cart, you can actually just swap your PS cart with your 1MB cart after the security check and still get functionality. Same with saves.

That being said, Pseudosaturn is still not as good a solution as a modchip, but it is a 'softer' mod that some people prefer. Saturn modchips are surprisingly hard to find nowadays.
>>
>>3920857
That happens only cause PSX has shitty laser / shitty drive. Saturn doesn't. I have a disc here with a huge crack through half the inner ring, and my Saturn can read it fine.
>>
>>3924221
>More accurately, AR carts have trouble with certain 1MB games that do not detect it correctly.

There is no detection whatsoever. ARs have 4mb on them. The memory expansion on them functions the exact same as if you'd just stick an original 4mb expansion cart in there.

4mbs cards are just backwards compatible with 1mb... except for a few SNK games that glitch up on them due to poor coding.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.