[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game is so good? It's literally a perfect platformer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 250px-Castlevania_NES_box_art.jpg (27KB, 250x352px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Castlevania_NES_box_art.jpg
27KB, 250x352px
Why is this game is so good? It's literally a perfect platformer. Nothing even comes close.
>>
>>3915486
Probably because you like being rewarded for thinking ahead as opposed to having twitch reflexes. Try ghosts n goblins for both at once.
>>
>>3915486
Castlevania 3 is a lot better
>>
>>3915491
Why a troll? I genuinely think this is one of the best platformers ever made. The design is flawless, everything in the game has a direct purpose. The gameplay would be ruined with a fluid jumping mechanic, for example - very rarely is jumping a wise thing to do in Castlevania.
Super Castlevania 4, with all its fancy movement abilities, doesn't approach the straight-up challenging nature of CV1's levels. In fact, I find that game to have way too much filler areas and pointless enemies. In comparison, the six stages of CV1 are masterpieces in theme and restraint.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of this whole series and enjoy most of them, but I could play this fucker every day. If I were to pick my second favorite, it would be Dracula X.
>>
>>3915529
>Why a troll?
Sorry, I saw the CV cover but my brain read Simon's Quest which is popular for lambasting so I responded about that. It's a solid game, no trolls. I'm just one of the weirdo's who likes the sequel a lot.
>>
File: 130123-cv-01.gif (19KB, 480x448px)
130123-cv-01.gif
19KB, 480x448px
>>3915512
So much this except when you get to this fucking level which is literally the worst of the classicvania games so I can't call it perfect.
>>
>>3915607
The alternate routes were a mistake.
>>
>>3915486
Not even close. It's a really good game, but has many flaws.
One - jump mechanics are extremely weak - they could've easily be replaced with three buttons, Jump Up, Jump Left, Jump Right. Jumping has no mechanical depth in this game when compared to momentum-based jumping in Mario, super jumping in SMB2, or spin versus straight jumping in Metroid, or even walljumping like in Batman and Ninja Gaiden. I mean, designers make it work, but jumping is hardly exciting or interesting in CV1. No wonder they made it more interesting with different characters in CV3 which honestly, is pretty much better than CV1 in every respect while still faithful, it's almost a perfect sequel.

Two, difficulty level is wonky sometimes, especially in how 'fair' obstacles seems. Most infamously, I say bats and medusa heads were interesting ideas, but are executed badly. In general - logic follows that the harder obstacle is to avoid, the less damage it should do to the player, for a game to feel fair. Normally, bottomless pits are easy to jump over, and medusa heads deal a small tick of damage. So far, so good - EXCEPT! In some sections, medusa heads intercept you over bottomless pits - hard to avoid, and kills you if you fail. Those are kinda annoying spikes on the already tall difficulty curve, and kinda break flow of the game.

Three, subweapons are one of the game's coolest features, but also it's biggest weaknesses. In many places, it's almost impossible to get by without getting hit if you don't have the right subweapon - which you wouldn't know without replaying game over and over, so it's kinda unfair. Also, some weapons are useless and waste of hearts, and some are too useful and you never want to switch from them. Also the 2-3 in midair upgrades were stupid.

Four, stairs.

Ironically, if you look at this list, you will suddenly understand WHY Super Castlevania IV looks the way it does - they wanted to fix the problems of the first game, and simply went too far.
>>
>>3915486
Arin is that you?
>>
>>3915702
>One - jump mechanics are extremely weak

But the game is designed around it. Jumping like Mario would break the difficulty.

>Most infamously, I say bats and medusa heads were interesting ideas, but are executed badl

What would become the classic CV enemies were executed badly... lol

>which you wouldn't know without replaying game over and over, so it's kinda unfair
>Wants to beat it on his first try

All the sudden it all makes sense.
>>
>>3915486
Amigavania is a lot better.
>>
>>3915486
>My opinion is fact.

Go suck your moms dick, faggot.
>>
>>3915734
I said it's designed around it, but it's still kinda boring. I mean, if they gave Simon a different jump, they could've designed around that, too.

They became classic enemies, but few people actually like dealing with them in CV1. Intercepting over bottomless pits is not a good thing, especially in a game where you have no control when falling. I'm talking specifically about sections where one easy misstep means death.

And I don't want to beat it on my first try, I want the game to be fair. I feel perfectly fine dying, and I think there's value in having to replay entire game from the start - when I die, I want to ask myself "This death was entirely my fault, what I should've done, at that moment, differently?" I want to learn from the experience and become better at the game. Trial and error deaths/damage are just a cheap way to pad out game length. (I mean, if a game is totally designed around them and has infinite continues or saves - e.g. Sierra adventure games -, that's a different story, but in a game with limited continues it's a crime).

Look, don't get me wrong, I love Castlevania 1 to bits, and I think it's a great and a truly amazing game. But I don't love it blindly. I can see it's flaws, however minute, and appreciate the game despite them.

I mean, I can gush about the fact that outside of medusa+bottomless pits parts difficulty curve is amazing. I love how game forces you to take a step back and take game slower, but a built-in timer prevents you from going too slow. I love the bosses, I love the subweapons, I even like using Dagger even if it sucks. I think the whip attack is easily one of the most satisfying attacks in an action platformer ever made, I think that secrets like wall chicken are really cool reward for paying attention, I love how bosses are well designed and unique, I love how the game subtly tells it's story in the background through stuff like lab equipment right before you get to Frankenstein, and so on, and so on.
>>
>>3915828
>Intercepting over bottomless pits is not a good thing,

It's supposed to be a challenge.

>Look, don't get me wrong, I love Castlevania 1 to bits

lol
>>
>>3915489
Ghouls 'n Ghosts is my favorite, on Genesis if we're talking home console versions.
>>
>>3915619
The alternate levels were all great except for that level.
>>
>>3915814
It really, really isn't.
Amigavania is probably the worst Castlevania ever made, even worse than the shitty mobile game released in the 00s.
>>
>>3915838
Challenge is supposed to be satisfying, not frustrating, after beating it I'm supposed to feel accomplishment, not relief. It's a fine line to walk, and some moments in CV1 cross it.
>lol
I'm not allowed to love a game if I don't like it uncritically? Fuck off. I can love a game and still be aware of its flaws, dumbass.
>>
>>3915894
I agree. I probably dumped an equal amount of time into the NES and Genesis games but the Genesis experience was way more satisfying. Someone looking for Castlevania tier challenge might prefer the NES version though - glitchiness included. Frustrating.
>>
>>3915489
>Probably because you like being rewarded for thinking ahead as opposed to having twitch reflexes.
That's only true for the first half of the game. When it starts throwing those goddamned fleamen at you, it's an entirely different game.
>>
>>3916135
>Challenge is supposed to be satisfying, not frustrating, after beating it I'm supposed to feel accomplishment, not relief. It's a fine line to walk, and some moments in CV1 cross it.

Oh fuck me child of self esteem movement detected, fuck off you lazy brained pleb cunt who wants to achieve victory without actually achieving victory. The greatest sense of accomplishment is reserved for those who fight the biggest challenges, you're just a lazy infant that wants comfy non challenge which barely tests you on any level, fuck off pleb.
>>
>>3916109
t. ST user
>>
>>3916135
>Challenge is supposed to be satisfying, not frustrating,

Each to their own. I find that game very satisfying partly because it feels frustrating as you are learning and building skill with it.
>>
>>3915486
It's fantastic, but it isn't perfect. It's way too easy and the lack of branching paths is lame. 3 us a much better contender.
>>
>>3916135
>Challenge is supposed to be satisfying, not frustrating

Words of a casual.
>>
>>3915486
This thing is so damn tight, it's a blast every time.
>>
castlevania 1 is a classic. overall design, mechanics, graphics, music, atmosphere, even the difficulty, they got everything right. it's not hard enough to be kaizo, but it is hard enough to challenge you and force you to git gud. a 1cc is a definite accomplishment.
>>
>>3918994
>Castlevania 64 shit
>Super Castlevania IV shit

Words of a casual.
>>
>>3918994
I'd play all of those other games in a row before I'd play the trashfest that is amigavania.
>>
>>3919028
I'm a non-partisan player, try again.
>>
>>3919032
Sure you are, yank.
>>
>>3919035
you defended amigavania, therefore you are trolling. you can be safely disregarded.
>>
>>3919028
I play games i like and don't trash games because they are on systems i don't like.

Try again.
>>
>>3915814

This is peak hipster.
>>
Why can't you control your autism, australia?
>>
File: australia.png (59KB, 361x333px) Image search: [Google]
australia.png
59KB, 361x333px
>>3922029
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.