[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Japanese Zelda games (usually) have cooler subtitles than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

Why do Japanese Zelda games (usually) have cooler subtitles than the American and PAL versions?

Also, Zelda region differences general.
>>
That's just a thing with japanese games in general.
>>
Nintendo's marketing team sucks. They seem to be under the impression that English gamers prefer generic titles and shitty logo designs that are recycled from one sequel to another.

Everything up to the Oracles games uses virtually the same cut-and-paste logo on a bland gold background. The Japanese releases were nothing like this.
>>
>>3913763
I know, but I'm a big Zelda dork.
>>
Why does Zelda, above all other franchises, seem to require a thread for every minuscule aspect of its production and content?

Surely you guys would be better served with a general like the doom boys by now?
>>
>>3913760
Zelda has had the same transliterated subtitles in Japanese since TP. Also most of the Zelda subtitles are the same in Japanese and English
>Zeruda no Densetsu > The Legend of Zelda
>Zeruda no Densetsu 2: Rinku no Bouken > The Adventure of Link
>Zeruda no Densetsu: Toki no Okarina > Ocarina of Time
>Zeruda no Densetsu: Mujura no Kamen > Majora's Mask

The only one that's completely different is ALTTP and that's because of NoA censoring religion. Wind Waker is also different as it should be Takt of Wind or Baton of Wind, but otherwise they're identical.
>>
>>3913806
>The only one that's completely different is ALTTP and that's because of NoA censoring religion.

Link's Awakening is radically different from its Japanese counterpart. Pretty sure the Oracles games also weren't literal translations.

>transliterated
>Rinku no Bouken > The Adventure of Link
>Toki no Okarina > Ocarina of Time
>Mujura no Kamen > Majora's Mask

That is not what transliteration means. There are Japanese words in those titles.
>>
>>3913806
>The Hyrule Fantasy
>Triforce Of The Gods
>Dreaming Island
>Fruit Of The Mysterious Tree: Chapter Of Time & Space
>Nut Of The Mysterious Tree: Chapter Of The Earth
>Baton Of Wind
>>
I just realized Link Awakening's japanese title spoils the twist.
>>
>>3913812
>since TP
>>
>>3913760
The Japanese developers are racist against their foreign customers.
>>
>>3913871
I'm sure you're joking, but that's actually not far from the truth. They almost always dumb down games for the American release, or they just don't release them here at all.
>>
File: Classic Zelda Logo.png (209KB, 552x278px) Image search: [Google]
Classic Zelda Logo.png
209KB, 552x278px
>>3913760
I actually prefer the English logo.
>>
>>3913827
The original japanese title is even more obvious: the dreaming island
>>
>>3913961
Are you high?
>>
>>3913813
>The Adventure of Link
>Ocarina of Time
>Majora's Mask
>Four Swords
>Four Swords Adventures
>Minish Cap
>Twilight Princess
>Phantom Hourglass
>Spirit Tracks
>Skyward Sword
>Tri-Force Heroes
>Breath of the Wild

So a third of all games have a different title.
>>
>>3913970
I actually am, but I'm also sure that's the japanese title of LA. Yumemiru shima = dreaming island.
>>
>>3913781
They just prefer pun titles .
>>
I wish we called the the first one "Hyrule Fantasy" rather than "first Zelda" or "Zelda NES"
>>
>>3914054
Spirit Tracks is Whistle of the Earth in Japan. The Minish Cap is The Wonder Hat.
>>
>>3914165
From my understanding, they dropped the "Hyrule Fantasy" part for the sequels since Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star both came out around the same time and they didn't want their series to sound too generic because of that. So they just named the series after the princess you rescue (and they came up with the plot for Zelda II to justify the title).
>>
>>3914394
Nah, Zelda II's plot had nothing to do with the title. They wrote it for a new IP and then saw that Zelda already fit the setting, so they adopted it as a sequel. They came up with "Adventure of Link" to evoke a sense of story. Whether or not they dropped Hyrule Fantasy because of the new subtitle or not is still a mystery, but they do note FF may have played a role.

Sauce: Zelda II NES Mini interview
>>
>>3914520
>Nah, Zelda II's plot had nothing to do with the title.
Well obviously the title existed before Zelda II, but it didn't make much sense using beyond the first game, since they obviously intended "Hyrule Fantasy" to be the franchise title. When they used "Legend of Zelda" again for the sequel, they had to justify reusing it somehow.
>>
>>3913760
The should have named BotW "The Hyrule Fantasy". Would have been a neat reference.
>>
>>3913813
>Fruit Of The Mysterious Tree: Chapter Of Time & Space
>Nut Of The Mysterious Tree: Chapter Of The Earth

These are so much fucking better
>>
Which series has been more massacred by NoA? Fire Emblem or Zelda?
>>
>>3920036
They didn't even release Fire Emblem.
>>
>>3920036
Changing a subtitle isn't really "massacred".
>>
>>3920396
It's widely known they changed a lot of text in Wind Waker.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.