[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wats the best way to connect older consles to hdtv if ya

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: hdtv1600.png (29KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hdtv1600.png
29KB, 1600x1600px
wats the best way to connect older consles to hdtv if ya dont got a crt
>>
>>3912452
Framemeister or OSSC

But seriously just get a CRT it's infinitely cheaper. Literally grab one from the dump. Just a 13 incher if space is that much of a concern.
>>
>>3912452
It would be way easier and cheaper just to get a CRT than a framemester or a device like that.
>>
>>3912463
True, but that's not the question.
>>
>>3912459
+1 framemeister

It's only real issues are with the few games that switch resolutions in the menu screen.

OSSC is too hit and miss at the moment.
>>
File: 1477216408111.gif (470KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477216408111.gif
470KB, 200x200px
>go to solaris
>3 month wait time for framemeister
>go on ebay
>its all people who put in a pre order and want 200 more for it even though the wait is still 3 months
>>
>>3912452
With a cable
>>
>>3912452
Framemeister is best for the sharp pixel look and my personal favorite way of plugging in retro consoles to HDTVs.

If you want to make your games look like an HD remaster, get a DVDO iScan VP50pro and optionally; an Oppo UDP-203/205 if you have a 4K TV.

I'll just warn you in advance about the giant amounts of input lag if you opt for the iScan + Oppo combo, it's only good if you want to upscale LaserDiscs in HD and/or 4K.

Also, the Oppo UDP-203/205 is great for upscaling VCDs, DVDs and Blu-rays in 4K, native 4K on Ultra HD Blu-rays and watching 4K digital movie files via flash drive or upscaling sub-4K content to 4K.

OSSC is not yet that fleshed out for now.

I still prefer playing my retro games and watching my LaserDiscs on my BVM or my Samsung flat panel CRT and maybe you can get a decent CRT for very cheap, especially if you are in East Asia/Southeast Asia.
>>
>>3912452
try getting a crt
>>
Crt or emulator. Upscslers give more delay than a emulator and dont upscale as well as an emulator would.
>>
You emulate them
>>
>>3912463
>>3913097
>>3913112
>CRT
/thread

>>3913112
>>3913121
>emulator
Only if you want convenience rather than having the actual consoles and the 100% accurate quality.

I use emulators when I need to and even then, I still prefer real hardware.

If you actually opt emulators over playing with real hardware on a CRT or even on the inferior class upscaler, than you are a mistake.
>>
The default upscaler on my HDTV works fine. I have a CRT but I don't use it because it's only 14" and in the other room.

>>3913112
>Crt or emulator. Upscslers give more delay than a emulator and dont upscale as well as an emulator would.

False. Dedicated hardware will always beat software. Emulation is another other level of delay.
>>
>>3912452
Just get a CRT. I live in Malta and people still keep their CRTs here even though the storage space is limited, you should be able to find one.
>>
>>3913246
Yeah, well maybe I want to play Mario Kart with my friends on the nice big 70" LCD screen I have in my living room?

Yeah, I have a CRT, but sometime I just want a big screen, you know?
>>
>>3913112
>>3913112
>Upscslers give more delay than a emulator
Except that's wrong.

My Raspberry Pi and Wii both have more input delay than my SNES through my Framemeister. Admittedly the Wii has additional lag from the wireless controller but still, real hardware + Framemeister wins. The OSSC supposedly has even less input lag.
>>
>>3913268
>My Raspberry Pi and Wii
Well there's your problem!
Use something with a faster processor.
>>
>>3913185
>Dedicated hardware will always beat software.
For cycle accuracy, yes. For getting the image to scale appropriately on higher-definition screens, no.

Adding an upscaler to the mix creates an unfortunate man-in-the-middle scenario where the video signal first has to be passed on to the scaler, then reprocessed, THEN sent to the television set. And this most certainly adds a delay. Emulation on the other hand can output a signal directly.

>Emulation is another other level of delay.
If you're using a shitty emulator, yeah.
>>
>>3913268
>My Raspberry Pi and Wii both have more input delay than my SNES through my Framemeister.

Then you're doing something wrong, because my Pi box doesn't experience any input delay.
>>
File: file.png (124KB, 824x837px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
124KB, 824x837px
>>3913294
https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407

I'm not sure why so many people like you are convinced that "I can't feel any delay" is the same thing as "there is no delay." It's about the amount of delay, which is present in some measurable amount in every computer system and every display.

If it doesn't affect your enjoyment, that's fine. But you ought to stop spreading misinformation based on perceptions alone.
>>
>>3913360
Interesting chart, the Framemeister gives between 1.5 - 2 frames of input lag in most cases.
>>
>>3912452
connect it to ya ass ya fukken returds
>>
>>3913360

This chart seems to have nothing to do with my setup. I don't use Retropie or Windows 10.

You can waste your time snobbishly reiterating that you believe my anecdotal claims are completely wrong, but you're not me and you know nothing about my setup.

>If it doesn't affect your enjoyment, that's fine. But you ought to stop spreading misinformation based on perceptions alone.

Hey, fuck your stupid ass too. Is this some lame brained attempt to shill for Framemeister? Boy, that attitude will sure boost sales.
>>
>>3913442
If you're not using the RetroArch family of emulators on your Pi, what are you using?
>>
>>3913442
>Hey, fuck your stupid ass too. Is this some lame brained attempt to shill for Framemeister? Boy, that attitude will sure boost sales.

He just proved you were full of shit and was even nice about it, meanwhile you resort to insults.

I get it, you're a cornered animal, humiliated and beaten and feel like lashing out. But that sort of nonsense is just not credible and won't impress anyone, are you 13.
>>
>>3913420
There's also about 2 frames of delay in the actual hardware
>>
>>3912452
>muh CRT
>>3912459

Best way to cure autism is to end yourself.
>>
>>3913294
>my Pi box doesn't experience any input delay
>>3913442
>you know nothing about my setup
We know:
it's a pi box
it has input delay
it's owned by an ignorant fool
>>
>>3913442
>I don't use Retropie
Even if you're not using the Retropie distro, if you're using a Pi you'll most definitely be using a distro that incorporates the Retroarch emulators which >>3913360 shows the input lag for.
>>
>>3912850
>Thinking you are going to get a framemeister for under $200

Even before the framemeister-panic it was literally impossible to get a framemeister for under $200.

I got mine for $240 in Spring 2016 with updated firmware, the euroscart cable & english remote layover and considered it a steal.

Best deal I've ever seen is $175 on craigslist sold by a guy who was literally getting evicted that weekend and needed a buyer within 24hrs. If he hadn't been 200 miles away I woulda bought it.
>>
>>3914069
I think he's saying the eBay reseller scum want 200 bucks more than the price they are being sold on Solaris, so like Solaris price + 200 bucks
>>
>>3914143
I see. My bad. Reseller suck.

The waiting game is hard, but put alerts on your phone for ebay auctions. But be prepared...people WILL over spend. Look for something with a buy it now.

If you get lucky you might just fall into decent (only moderately pricey) used framemeister. Jump on it QUICKLY when you see one. They will not last very long. If it is one of the buy it now or auction listings- buy it immediately.

People are stupid and think they can win an auction for these at a good price. You cannot. It is impossible. I admit to being an ebay "sniper" but you will get sniped, and then your sniper will get sniped, and then your sniper's sniper will get sniped. All because some idiot thought they can get a bargain...don't waste your time: just do a buy it now.

But after looking at completed listings it looks like nobody is getting a framemeister for under $400
>>
>>3914069
>still searchtempesting for expensive, obscure accessories you already own
>>
File: hdmitoav.jpg (9KB, 300x233px) Image search: [Google]
hdmitoav.jpg
9KB, 300x233px
>>3912452
i got one of these.. its cheap and works
>>
>>3914217
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01425A4RW?psc=1
>>
arent framemeisters the same price theyve always been around 300usd?
>>
>>3914217
But that converts hdmi to composite.
>>
>>3914270
my bad, mine does the opposite.. just happens to look identical
>>
>>3912452
Component and composite cables are color coded so just match the colors. S- Video, VGA, and HDMI will only fit in holes they belong in. Oh and don't forget to put your tv on channel three if you're using rf.
>>
>>3913360
Just to back this up, comparing my SNES through my Framemeister to Snes9x running on my PC, the difference is painfully obvious. I can still detect a small amount of lag with the Framemeister, but it's nothing compared to the huge lag of the PC emulator.

I'm pretty interested in the OSSC to further reduce the lag, but first I'd need to RGB-mod my N64 (easy) and AV Famicom (a goddamn nightmare).
>>
>>3912452
I use something called the DVDO iScan Pro, it line doubles 240p and outputs vga, works very well!
>>
>>3913256

You are excessive and useless.
>>
>>3916438
>Has no argument
>"I know! I'll call him a faggot!"
>>
>>3912452
Anything that triggers /CRT/ >>3912459
>>3912463
>>
>>3916386
link me
>>
>>3916483
http://www.ebay.com/
Good luck.
>>
>>3912470
Sounds like when the OSSC 'hits' it is superior to the Framemeister, not to mention cheaper, although availability is still an issue. Actually Framemeister availability is still an issue.

>grab a crt from the dump
I'm sure it'll work great! how many thousands of hours of use has it had?
>>
>>3916386
I don't think they are that good if you want the sharp pixel look.

I love using this for upscaling LaserDiscs to 4K by combining this with an Oppo Ultra HD Blu-ray Player but the "enhanced" and laggy upscale makes me prefer the Framemeister instead.

And I actually don't use it that often since I prefer playing my retro games and watching my LaserDiscs on my BVM.
>>
>>3916496
Depends. OSSC and Framemeister are very different products and their use cases don't always overlap.

The Framemeister is a full-fledged upscaler. It's dead simple to set up and scales to whatever arbitrary resolution you want up to 1080p, including high-quality deinterlacing of 480i, with basically perfect compatibility. To do this, it requires a framebuffer, which adds 20ms of lag over the OSSC. It also has the infamous 240p<->480i switching delay, though only a few games are affected by it.

The OSSC, on the other hand, is just a simple line-doubler, with experimental line-triple and line-quadruple modes that might or might not work with your display. That means it's essentially lag-free, but you should only expect 480p out of it, and no fancy deinterlacing algorithms for 480i games. It has no composite or S-video input, so some consoles won't work without mods. Additionally, if your display is particularly picky about having standard sync signals, certain consoles (notably NES and SNES) might not work at all, since the OSSC just spits out whatever it's fed in that regard. It may take some fiddling with settings to get it to play ball with your display, so you'll either need to have some knowledge about how video signals work or be willing to learn. An OSSC chained with a low-lag upscaler like a VP50 or something to normalize its output would be a hell of a setup, but also more expensive than just buying a Framemeister. The OSSC also doesn't handle audio at all by default, which may or may not complicate your setup. You can get an audio add-on board, but that adds a decent chunk of change to the price.

Which one is best for you is something you'll have to decide. I would say the Framemeister is a much easier, friendlier piece of equipment, but if you're willing to put in the effort and build your setup around it, the OSSC has a ton of potential as a high-quality, lag-free upscaling solution.
>>
>>3916554
I've seen some awesome looking examples of OSSC working perfectly with SNES, see these links;
http://imgur.com/a/K3t7G
https://imgur.com/a/asyh2

My understanding is that you cannot buy a new Framemeister right now; you have to wait for them to restock (apparently around late June), then once they sell out of that batch, it's all over as they're discontinuing the device.

Ultimately it seems to me that if your TV happens to work with OSSC then you're in heaven. I don't know just how much of a gamble that is however. I am fine with analogue audio (although someone out there is making a hdmi version - wold edition or something)
>>
>>3916605
>I've seen some awesome looking examples of OSSC working perfectly with SNES, see these links;
I didn't mean to imply it necessarily won't work with an SNES, just that the funky NES/SNES sync signal tends to cause issues with some displays, more so than other consoles. But yeah, when it works, it works great.

>My understanding is that you cannot buy a new Framemeister right now
Yep, you can't buy either a Framemeister or an OSSC immediately. There's a waiting list for both right now.

>once they sell out of that batch, it's all over as they're discontinuing the device.
According to Micomsoft, they have enough supplies to keep producing them for another year or so, but yeah, they'll run out eventually. They're apparently planning a replacement, but I wouldn't expect it for another couple of years.

>Ultimately it seems to me that if your TV happens to work with OSSC then you're in heaven. I don't know just how much of a gamble that is however.
From what I've read, there aren't many TVs that work with line-quadrupling from the OSSC, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything better than 720p. So it depends on whether you value the sharpest possible picture or the lowest possible lag more. Either way, though, you're splitting hairs at that point. Both are excellent choices.

And again, you could chain an OSSC with a second upscaler to attempt to get the best of both worlds, though that's an expensive proposition.
>>
>>3916631
>So it depends on whether you value the sharpest possible picture or the lowest possible lag more
The guy who posted the photos in those links I provided said that OSSC in 720p mode looked sharper than Framemeister in 1080p mode, which is interesting, and implies the best of both worlds. He made a thread about it on reddit
>>
>>3916689
That's probably thanks to the OSSC's adjustable horizontal sample rate. If you configure it correctly for each specific console, you can gain a bit of horizontal sharpness. The Framemeister behaves similarly to the OSSC's generic sample rate modes, I believe.
>>
>>3916689
Framemeister has adjustable sharpness. The default '0' setting has slightly blurry (but still nice looking) edges, '1' looks very nice imo, that's my sharpness setting of choice. '2' looks pin-sharp but anything after that and you're starting to introduce artifacts. This is on my SNES and Genesis with RGB output, I haven't tried with any other consoles.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.