[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that there are very retarded point and click autists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: grim fandango.jpg (130KB, 256x341px) Image search: [Google]
grim fandango.jpg
130KB, 256x341px
Reminder that there are very retarded point and click autists that don't like Grim Fandango just because of how it controls

These people make me ashamed to be a fan of the same genre
>>
>being ashamed that different people enjoy different things

Deep into the spectrum, aren't you?
>>
File: gemini rue.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gemini rue.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
Speaking of which

I just beat Gemini Rue - kind of shitty. Why is it so well reviewed?
>>
>>3912327
I hate it because of the lame act transitions. It feels like playing a Telltale game.
>>
>>3912432
Telltale wasn't founded until 2004, long after the game was made.
>>
>>3912432
Grim Fandango is nothing like a Telltale game because it has a real ending and doesn't string you along with pretend choices

You dumb cuck
>>
GOLD IS NOT A FERROMAGNETIC METAL AND SHOULD NOT TRIGGER METAL DETECTORS!
>>
>>3912568

>The Gold was not pure
>>
>>3912337
Been a while since I played it but I thought it was okay for what it was, albeit short, easy, and with a predictable twist. Stylistically I thought it was interesting and I liked switching between the two characters. Why didn't you like it?
>>
>>3912327
Best way is to use the original game/ResidualVM with the complete mouse mod:
http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=623
>>
Reminder that there are very retarded people who call adventure games "point and click".
>>
>>3912614
>and I liked switching between the two characters

Usually adventure games do this for a reason - like having the characters exchange goods or remove obstacles for one another.
>>
File: 1363242257317.gif (864KB, 242x200px) Image search: [Google]
1363242257317.gif
864KB, 242x200px
>>3912704
Get out
>>
>>3912327
I played the remaster recently and everything is fine just not the game for me especially not after i finished the 3 new seasons of Sam and Max.
So I uninstalled but other people may find it fun.
>>
I love the game but let's not pretend there's any excuse for the control scheme, it's definitely a downside.
>>
I remember looking forward to play Monkey Island 4 because it was in GLORIOUS 3D, but then I got to actually play it and it was shit. Mostly because it controller like a tank and looked like shit.

I did like Grim Fandango though, but it's way prettier game and the environments are interesting.
>>
>>3912993
Underage.
>>
File: spookysalsa.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
spookysalsa.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>3913016
Tank controls were a basic standard back then. Implementing a control scheme with view-corrected positioning AND accurate 2D mouse to 3D space projection was simply not a priority. They focused on scenario instead of interface and just picked an existing common one.

So there IS an excuse: time is fucking linear. But I agree they should've taken into account the fact that people 20 years later would have trouble understanding this notion.

Discerning douchebag Schafer though claims he totally understood controls were terrible back then but he just lowered his standards to the zeitgeist. Finally the world can enjoy his vision as it was originally intended!
>>
>>3912704
There were adventure games with text parsers before "point and click" became a thing. 70% of the time playing them involved typing synonyms of the thing you want to do until you found the exact wording the developers intended. The other 20% of the gameplay was trying to get across mountain passes without falling down in a short time limit.
>>
>>3913058
And? I'm well aware, there were plenty on the Vic-20. It doesn't change the name of the genre. "Point and click" is a new thing that doesn't belong.
>>
>>3912327
Funny. I'm not a huge fan of the game because the puzzles are so fucking convoluted that I can't progress.
>>
>>3913210
The game provides enough information and clues for most of the puzzles, only a few are questionable (a lot of year 3 ones are trial and error, for example)
Git gud at adventure games.
>>
>>3913301
I was good at adventure games.
Like 20 fucking years ago.
Played all the Kings Quest games. All the Space Quest games. DOTT.
But this one just manages to piss me off.
>>
grim fandango is great but the controls are fucking bad
>>
>>3912441
There's nothing wrong with using a modern game as a comparison for what you don't like about an old game. He didn't say "it obviously ripped off Telltale" or anything like that.
>>
>>3913058
>all text adventures and parser suck meme
There are many execellent text adventures with great puzzles and parsers that are more than competent. People exaggerate the bad ones and don't bother to read the manuals, expecting the game to understand English instead of treating like a command line interface.
>>
>>3913832
Tank controls really aren't that bad.
>>
>>3913301
Honestly the Grim Fandango puzzles are some of the most opaque things I've ever witnessed.

I remember in Act 3 you have to like attach anchors all across your boat so you can break it and half and then sail away.

Who the fuck would ever come up with that?
>>
I've never heard anyone complain about the controls in grim fandango until today. The absolutely no logic involved puzzle solutions, sure, but not the controls.
>>
File: fuck right off.png (4KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
fuck right off.png
4KB, 320x200px
>>3913379
>states he played all the kings quest games
>complains about grim fandango
>grim fandango puzzles are to convoluted
>beat kings quest games
this doesnt add up
>>
>>3914153
Really? The 3D tank controls have been one of the most-criticized aspects of the game for years, pretty much since release. But it's honestly not the tank controls that bothered me, it's that they tried to "solve" the problem of walking into walls by having Manny bounce off at an angle and head off in a different direction. So, if you're trying to enter a doorway but misjudge it, instead of walking into the wall and letting you adjust your rotation until you slide in, Manny bounces off and starts walking down the hallway instead, even though you didn't touch the turning controls.

It's really annoying in some rooms. There are places in the game where you can just hold the forward key and Manny with ping-pong around the room as he keeps careening off of objects into a new direction.
>>
>>3913979
Like I said, year 3 has a lot of trial and error puzzles, that's one of them.
>>
>>3914164
You don't have to solve the gnome puzzle. It's actually a good idea to fail it on purpose so you will not have to climb that fucking beanstalk.
>>
>>3914164
20 Years is a long time.
The logic of these types of games is lost on me now.

Also, I killed Trogdor in Peasant's Quest.
>>
>>3913969
Pretty much every meme about text adventures sucking are based entirely on Infocom actually being rather bullshit. Magnetic Scrolls' games stood the test of time much more by less "whoops we decided you fucked up for some reason now restart the game" bullshit.
>>
>>3915809
Thats why the lucasarts games are so well regarded. Everyone could play them because you had no chance of losing.
>>
>>3915928
The thing is, "losing" in an adventure game isn't like "losing" on a platformer, which is what too many people treated it as. "Losing" in an adventure game is getting lost and having to start exploring, or talking to people, or experimenting with puzzles.
>>
>>3915939
Losing in an adventure game is getting into a completely unwinnable situation
>>
>>3915939
No. You could just straight up lose in Sierra games. Like if you didn't save the mouse on the one screen you had a chance to in King's Quest 5.
>Step outside of house
>nice animation of a cat killing a mouse
>okay
>7 hours later
>tied up in a room
>oh what's that? you didnt save the mouse? well fuck you, kid, back to the start
Sierra games can eat my ass.
>>
>>3915945
>>3915940
I meant in terms of good game design.

Sorry if I was a little unclear. I was trying to defend those games by highlighting that they treat their genre better.
>>
>>3915809
That's really not true. Infocom had a much-better-than-average parser and they didn't screw players over more than any other developer. Dead ends and nigh-unavoidable deaths were simply common in the genre well into the graphical era.

If you're going to hate on old text games, hate on the Scott Adams ones, not Infocom.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.