[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People who say that SotN has cheesy voice acting Go back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

>People who say that SotN has cheesy voice acting

Go back and actually listen to it. Notice how all the "meme" worthy lines are mostly Dracula right? The "what is a man" is a bit odd, and that voice actor is pretty theatrical. Sucubus lets off an orgasm upon death. And the Devil Familliar's voice is just awful.

Other than that, it's pretty solid. Maria is good. And Alucard is just absolutely perfect.
>>
No. It's all bad.
>>
The voice acting is shit but that's OK because it adds campy charm. Anyone trying to condition anyone to believe that this is voice acting is good is trying too hard in being protective of their favorite game.
>>
>>3910024
i wouldn't know, ive only played the saturn version which is in japanese.
>>
>>3910024
maybe my love for survival horror has conditioned me to love goofy 90s voice acting because SotN didn't really bother me at all
>>
>>3910065
Resident Evil is certainly a lot worse

SOTN isn't really even bad enough to be called campy, though it is quite cheesey
>>
>>3910024
It was about as cringe-worthy as the average english dub. Defininely not as bad as RE 1.
Some scenes just seem cool because they've become iconic, the obvious example being the conversation between Richter and Dracula.
With that said, I think Alucard's voice was fucking cool. I like it more than his japanese one, except for the scenes where he has to get emotional.
>>
>>3910024
I actually really liked Dracula's dub voice.
>>
File: librarian.jpg (6KB, 204x164px) Image search: [Google]
librarian.jpg
6KB, 204x164px
>>3910024
Seems like you don't remember the shopkeeper's voice all that well
>>
>>3910124

It's been a long time old one.
>>
>>3910124
>I'm interested in this.
>Hehe, thank you!
>>
>>3910124

So he and the oarsman are like, what, creatures of the castle too? What do they need money for?
>>
I always thought Alucard sounded like he had a head cold.
>>
The same could be said of ALL religions
>>
>>3910164
>implying you don't need money in hell
>>
>>3910024
>play through the game
>giggle every time someone talks
No, it was all silly.
>>
The voice acting is pretty bad but I don't particularly mind it, my favorite Castlevania. Since when I was a child I couldn't into the original Castlevania and the sequels.. this one is what made me go back to the start again only to realize I don't like them at all.
SotN rocks.
>>
>>3910024
Sorry still cringy AF
>>
>>3910024

It's not great by any means but it's got this weird, I dunno sincerity? to it that I just like
>>
File: wakamoto.jpg (114KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
wakamoto.jpg
114KB, 500x460px
>>
>>3910024
I'd say all the voices range from okay to bad, except for Alucard and Dracula, which are both fantastic.
>>
File: head explode.gif (778KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
head explode.gif
778KB, 400x225px
>>3910024
LOOK AT ME GUYS I HAVE AN OPINION THAT'S DIFFERENT FROM THE NORM AREN'T I A REAL RETRO GAMER INSTEAD OF THOSE HIPSTERS HAHAHAHAHA OH MAN I FUCKING HATE HIPSTERS RAAAAAAAGE CASTLEVANIA 64 IS ACTUALLY GOOD GUYS ALSO THE AMIGA PORT OF CASTLEVANIA IS A CLASSIC YOU SHOULD PLAY IT!
>>
What's with all the SotN threads lately? Did an e-celeb make a video of the game after discovering it for the first time because it was its 20th birthday?

Also you wouldn't have this voice debate if you were playing the superior version of the game.

>>3910065
>>3910075
>>3910110
>survival horror
>SotN
>RE1

In English Richter was voiced by Scott McCulloch, who also voiced Chris in RE1.
He also voiced the protagonist of another survival horror: The Note.
>>
File: 1474094009286.jpg (139KB, 846x571px) Image search: [Google]
1474094009286.jpg
139KB, 846x571px
>>3910745
NESfag I usually love you but you gotta chillout right now dude with trying to force the Saturn port.
>>
File: 1479273980906.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1479273980906.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>3910767
Saturn port
>>
File: 1486519066545.jpg (304KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486519066545.jpg
304KB, 1000x1000px
>>3910779
>>
>>3910164
For whores.
>>
>>3910640
I just unlocked the VA commentaries in the game and was disappointed that Wakamoto's one is like 3 seconds long.
>>
Played this recently, blew me away but I killed the blue guy and got a fake ending, now I don't feel like playing it anymore.
>>
>>3910745
>>3910779
The thing about SoTN is that you need to play both the PSX and Saturn versions. The PSX version is the way it was meant to be played and has the best graphics. But the Saturn version has all sorts of extras that make it worth playing through again.
>>
>>3910114
He pretty much carries the whole goddamn cast with just the right amount of ham. Robert Belgrade is cool in his own way though. Jeremy Blaustein said he is easily one of the weirdest motherfuckers he has ever met.
>They didn't pitch shift him at all his voice is actually just that deep
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8

This is objectively terrible voice acting. Is it entertaining? Yes. But are they secretly voice acting masters that happen to be doing a super calculated great impression of bad voice actors? No.
>>
This castle is a creature of chaos. It may take many incarnations.
>>
>>3910024
>being this biased and delusional.
>>
I think Dracula and Death are legitimately good. Everyone else ranges from passable for the time to downright awful.
>>
>>3911416
>objectively terrible

Yeah, no.
>>
>>3910024
Guess you never made it to shaft. Or Death in the first 10 minutes of the game.
>>
>>3911432
Awesome; You are mighty indeed! But that whip is not my only weapon!
>>
>>3910024
no it's all bad, but it's still enjoyable because it's so funny.
the only one who sounds fairly normal is maria, and she still sounds bad because stilted acting.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACb-u_PlF8s
no it's bad
sorry to post a list video, but i'm don't want to sort through multiple vids
>>
The voice acting is still infinitely better than most animes where you have what sounds like Cali teens voicing old Japanese kung fu masters.
>>
>>3911617
Aaaaaah, Alucard. What is your business here?
>>
WELL MET MY SON.
IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME.
it just gets me every time.
he definitely sounds like a dad right there.
>>
>>3910745
People are prepping because Iga's KickStarter game is the only one left out of the Famous Four (Mighty no. 9, Shantae 1/2 Genie Curse, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained) and since all of those proved to be such let downs that everyone hates the people involved with them, once Bloodstained comes out and doesn't blow all Castlevania's out of the water, Iga, the entirety of his work, and all of Castlevania will be considered worthless and people will act like no one ever liked them.
>>
>>3912773
i don't expect it to be any better or worse than OoE honestly, which i don't have a problem with since i liked it even though it was a lesser game..
>>
>>3910024
Who the fuck gives a shit about voice acting, especially in a game with not much dialogue?
>>
>>3910110
Really? You're gonna bring this "ironic" millenial shit to SotN? The dialogs are solid enough for a pixel/based game, the voices and tones are spot on and engraved on my mind forever. Robert Belgrade has a deep, cold voice that fits Alucard just fine, better than some bishonen animu VA, Death's dialog is fucking awesome, the effect they used on his voice made him menacing and otherwordly. Dracula's voice was imponent and strong, albeit dramatic sometimes, but it fits his tragic character.

Really, the only voices that are bland enough to be forgotten or simply average rated, are Richter and Maria, and even Richter's evil persona works fine during both confrontations with Alucard, and his final conversation at the rubbles of the Castle is really well made; when he asks Alucard for forgiveness, it really feels like he thought he was a burden on him.

If anything, i'd say it became a "meme" to hate on this game for it's voices.

Oh, and props to the ferryman for sounding creepy and decrepit, and slutty-tranny Succubus was fine too.
>>
>>3910124
His voice was just fine, it's great how glad he is to see Alucard, but soon after says he can't "aid one who opposes the master".

You people need to play again and judge it better.
>>
>>3913939
>the voices and tones are spot on
You're insane. They use terrible inflection, sounds like they're reading scripts in an empty hall and sound incredibly unnatural while not even managing to sound theatric.
>I was called here by
>HOOOOMANS
>who wish to pay
>MEEE
>TRIBUTE
It's Battleship Earth level bad line reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACbVe7o9Rs
You either have to be a complete moron or just trolling.
>>
>>3912773
>all of those proved to be such let downs
What memery is this
>>
>>3913939
>Such rich and masterful voice acting! Such talent!
>But nah, japanese actors are just animu shit

Voice acting in japan is actually taken seriously, it only makes sense that the japanese VAs are more talented (and in this case they were).

Alucard might have sounded cool and deep but the parts where he had to get emotional like the succubus scene or the final dialog with dracula, he was pretty shitty.
Death was awesome.
>>
>he plays games for the voice acting
>>
>>3914038

>Voice acting in japan is actually taken seriously
because nowhere else seems to, huh. People get this serious and professional image of Japan out of many business practices, that's part of how they gather investors. Their so-called hard working approach to things are what gives them a good rep in general, but that is also business strategy. You shouldn't confuse that with talent, this is how weebs convince themselves that Japan makes superior comics because of muh black n' white, and overusage of emotional drama.

>But nah, japanese actors are just animu shit

I never said that in my last post, i did imply, however, that Alucard sound generic in japanese, and to me, he does. You can literally categorize Japan's VA personalities because of the limited patterns they are taught to use/follow. I'd much rather listen to Belgrade than Kuchiki Biyakuya, that is just another cool serious dude out of hundreds alike in Japan's VA.
>>
>>3914038
>>3914509
You're both idiots. All it comes down to is this: voice acting for video games in Japan is larger industry than it is America. All of the good American voice actors are doing stuff that isn't video games or imported anime.
>>
File: SOTN-GameOver.png (67KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
SOTN-GameOver.png
67KB, 256x240px
>>3914576

You somehow managed to be more stupid than the both of them, mr. One Inteligent Man!

>(...)are doing stuff that isn't video games(...)
Are you that mentally challenged, that you can't acknowledge the many good VA in America? You need to go out more.

Being a larger industry (citation needed, plz, years of market alone are not proof enough, as video game development history shows) does not make Japan better at all. In fact, their repetitive formulaic performances and big industry are a shameful display of how a business can grow accostumed to their standards, and gives up improvement.

You can't honestly expect to come to this shithole board and try to preach your broken facts and be respected. Please, leave while "the night is still young".
>>
>>3910024
>Notice how all the "meme" worthy lines are mostly Dracula right?

He has classic lines, but it's all awful. Alucard is no exception.

>Look a switch! I wonder what happens if I press it!
>>
>>3915318
>You somehow managed to be more stupid than the both of them, mr. One Inteligent Man!
You can't spell.
>you can't acknowledge the many good VA in America?
You can't read.

Conclusion: you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>3915318
>In fact, their repetitive formulaic performances and big industry are a shameful display of how a business can grow accostumed to their standards, and gives up improvement.

Are you really trying to say Japan's voice acting is bad compared to average English companies? Are you the same person saying SotN didn't have god awful VO?
>>
>>3915356
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's OP who unironically thinks SotN has a good dub.
>>
>>3915360
I disagree personally but could at least see someone not minding Alucard, but other than that it's all SO bad. Literally a running joke ever since it came out.
>>
>>3915347
Using Ad Hominem to win over an proper argument. You're gonna go far, kid.

>>3915356
Am i? Or are you having trouble with text interpretation? Or maybe you're simply trying to derail my arguments to your benefit, idk. But i'll clarify: no, i'm not trying to say their work is bad compared to average english work; i do think that Japan has a comfort zone which shows after a dozen games/anime/etc and unless you're a young kid getting into these things for the first time, it's impossible not to notice it. THAT, to me, takes away the fun of it, despite how nice the voice actors may sound, etc.

Think of it as JRPG stories. Many fans don't seem to notice/care about the fact that at least a dozen of them have the same formula towards the end of the game: You gotta kill someone that's basically a god/godlike creature, but that instead of being a savior, wants to kill everything. It's cool and great in magnitude, but c'mon, after decades, it's time to try new narratives...
>>
>>3917270
>not being able to comprehend text and yet still trying to refute it
You're not going to make it past your front yard, child.
>>
>>3910027
>The voice acting is shit but that's OK because it adds campy charm
"Cheesy" voice acting is better than "good" voice acting 9 out of 10 times. It's a tryhard complaint from the kind of people who focus on all the wrong things about about games.
>>
I think people have played very few PS1 games if they focus on SOTN as an example of bad voice acting.
Seriously, there are much worse specimens. Try Grandia.
>>
>"There are worse examples of shitty voice acting. That makes SotN's voice acting acceptable after all!"
>this thread

Just because X thing is also bad or worse doesn't mean Y thing is actually good, or even tolerable. SotN has terrible voice acting. A number of other games also have terrible voice acting. But this thread is about SotN's voice acting, not any other game. If your only argument in support of SotN's voice cast is "But other games are worse!," then you need to depart to >>>/v/ and never return here.
>>
>>3910024
it has good a voice acting when it comes to Dracula, Death, Alucard and Maria... other than that, it's just ok imo
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.