[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking into modding my NES to perform the absolute

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: nes-rgb-4.jpg (494KB, 2720x1168px) Image search: [Google]
nes-rgb-4.jpg
494KB, 2720x1168px
I'm looking into modding my NES to perform the absolute best. What are things I should look into?
>>
>>3909585
Buying the AVS
>>
>>3909591
Is that really just like the perfect NES?
>>
>>3909585
Try not being cancer.
>>
>>3909594
No, it does neither perfect.
It can't output any kind of analog RGB signal so for CRT's it's out.
And it can only output 720p so for modern sets it also isn't optimal since they're all at least 1080p nowadays.
They will still have to upscale the 720p => input lag.
If you want something for modern TVs get an NES Hidef modded for 1080p or if you got too much money get the Analogue NT mini.
>>
>>3909628
although still stupid expensive the NT mini resolved the RGB issue and added it in.
>>
Buy an NES and play it. Simple as that.
>>
File: 1474393389465[1].jpg (278KB, 1186x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1474393389465[1].jpg
278KB, 1186x1600px
Don't forget the Jack DIY Famicom 2. Does RGB and VGA and only runs $200. The ANT Mini has a reprogrammable FPGA though, and Kevtris has developed cores for several other consoles that run on it. MiST is another reprogrammable FPGA box that has been brought to my attention, started out as an Atari ST but now has a bunch of cores. You probably shouldn't buy one though because I'm still thinking about it and their stock is low.
>>
>>3909585
Just get the mono to stereo cable and play in composite.
>>
>>3909767
Is there anything like this that uses the real CPU and PPU, but uses modern parts and surface mount stuff for everything else?

Like, a re-engineered NES.
That would be awesome.
>>
>>3909823
Yes, the original ANT
>>
>>3909826
I was hoping for more of a DIY solution, not a $500 monstrosity.
>>
>>3909585
>What are things I should look into?
Nestopia running into a 15khz crt.
>>
>>3909585
Don't butcher that wonderful artifact for the sake of better pixel resolution, the world is going to eventually run out of stock consoles someday and the original experience won't ever be attainable.
>>
>>3909823
The CPU and PPU in the NES are custom-made parts that have been out of production for over 20 years. You'll have to either settle for famiclone parts or rip them out of a real NES.

If you want my advice, just do this:
>>3909761
Just get an NES and an Everdrive, hook it up to your TV, and play it. That's literally the ultimate NES experience.
>>
modded consoles are almost always a joke. NES especially. All you need is a crt to get what you need visually.
>>
>>3909837
For CRTs the NESRGB and yes the RGB is a huge upgrade over composite even if some autists claim it isn't.
Not to say that composite isnt perfectly fine too bit it does make a difference.
If you wann play on a modern display mod your console with the hidef kit.
Both modkits make use of the original ppu and cpu and dont alter how the games itself play.
>>
>>3909585
Leaving it alone and emulating on a wii via component
>>
>>3909585
NESRGB, also, get a mod with the Super Famicom Multi-AV Out. If your TV doesn't have RGB but has component, get the Super NES HD RetroVision cables, despite what they say, it works perfectly with a Famicom/NES modded with the NESRGB kit.

Don't believe the stereo memes. If you want the audio to come out of two speakers, just add a mono to stereo converter, even if it's only dual-mono, it would still be louder than mono and better than a meme stereo mod.

Also, Famicom > NES, but if you want to stick with your original NES, get the Blinking Light Win 72-pin connector replacement, more reliable for playing cartridges than with the original 72-pin connector.

There is also the ENIO Expansion Board which plugs into the bottom of front-loader NES systems and it allows you to have expansion audio for Japanese games that supported it if you have a Famicom-to-NES adapter and it also allows you to use Famicom peripherals.

Also, the best Famicom/NES replacement is the Analogue NT Mini but you need lots of cash for that.

Check here for more info: http://retrorgb.com/nes.html

I have both an American NES front-loader and a Japanese Famicom original model and I have modded both of them to their fullest potential.
>>
If you need YPbPr component from a NES:
etim NESRGB plus the optional Component board.
The option is also from etim. About the size of a postage stamp. It also works with the Atari 2600RGB board.

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203&rn=549&action=show_detail
>>
>>3910590
>Also, Famicom > NES,

Why? Does the Famicom have better composite video or sound quality than the NES?
>>
>>3911493
Worse in many ways, unless you find a more expensive AV Famicom. With a standard Famicom, you have hardwired controllers with short leads, and RF out only which absolutely sucks.

One advantage the Famicom offers over the NES is that cartridges can have on-board soundchips that can enhance the system's sound. However, it's pretty easy to mod an NES to have this same functionality. All it takes is a resistor, a piece of wire, and some solder (that is, assuming you have a 60-to-72 pin adapter and FC games with soundchips already).

Granted, a stock Famicom has fewer issues getting games to work due to the top-loading design and lack of a lockout chip. However, I would say that unless you're really passionate about this, you're better off just refurbishing/modding an NES.
>>
>>3909585
If it's a front loader: Blinking light win.
Get this!
Permanently repairs the cart slot. No more blinking light. Games work first time, every time.
Also region-unlocks the system without needing to solder anything.
Can be reversed back to stock if needed.
>>
>>3911940
An AV mod for a Famicom isn't much more complicated than an audio mod for a NES.
>>
>>3911493
The sound quality is more or less the same, it can only output RF without mods.

An NESRGB mod does a great job at improving the video quality so get that.

Some of the advantages of the Famicom are also the Japan-only expansion port accessories like the 3D System, the Disk System, and the microphone on the second controller.

>>3913502
The AV mod for the original Famicom helps but it has jailbars so get the NESRGB mod kit.
>>
File: 1254490017823.png (68KB, 174x162px) Image search: [Google]
1254490017823.png
68KB, 174x162px
>>3909767
>and only runs $200
>only $200
>for a 90's era circuit board
wew
>>
>>3909585
Wii + component cables + gamecube controller
>>
>>3914490
fceugx has a weird glitch with the original SMB that puts you at the minus world on start up
>>
>>3909837
sounds like you want this, then http://lowbudgetify.com/

honestly, original nt is the best option unless you want to use a flash cart, in which case, lol get fucked and buy original hardware and mod it.
>>
>>3914445
Any mod can give you jail bars if you do it wrong. Do it right. Problem solved. And the point of the cost and simplicity clearly went way over your head.
>>
>>3914708
Use nestopia then? I don't understand the issue.
>>
>>3909823
I wish there were boards for that where you could add your own CPU and PPU. This is really the only use for NES, since the AV Famicom is better in every way.
>>
>>3910018
>the original experience won't ever be attainable
3D printing might eventually enable the reproduction of the CPU and PPU without having to revive old semiconductor production processes.
>>
I swear you people spend more time and money seeking some kind of imaginary ideal experience than you do actually playing video games.
>>
>>3914854
If only people had been doing this since the 90's lel
>>
>>3915047
I meant like stuff like the original Analogue Nt, but without the CPU and PPU so you have to supply your own.
>>
File: 292279083482611713.png (21KB, 125x128px) Image search: [Google]
292279083482611713.png
21KB, 125x128px
>>3914490
>playing nes on gamecube controller
>>
>>3915053
So something that has an optional add on HDMI board or something? What's the key difference you need between the Nt and the other clones that have pin compatible sockets for the CPU and PPU?
>>
>>3915218
Not necessarily, I just meant with all the modernly reproducible components being new, and having 4 controllers ports that are both compatible with the Hori 4-player adapter and the FourScore.
>What's the key difference you need between the Nt and the other clones that have pin compatible sockets for the CPU and PPU?
Are there any other clones where you can drop in original components like that?
>>
File: 1479037768146.gif (2MB, 350x550px) Image search: [Google]
1479037768146.gif
2MB, 350x550px
>>3915056
Controllers improved over time for good reason.
>>
>>3915220
I'm not aware of any other NES clones that you can use an original CPU/PPU in only famiclones.
>>
>>3915230
It's improved for gamecube games. NES is perfect for NES games. Let me give you an example. NASA is still using 286 processors on their satellites. You know why? It does what's needed perfectly and it does not have additional issues from more advanced hardware. NES controllers do rapidfires, have the least input lags for NES games, and are lightweight.
>>
>>3915502
>NASA is still using 286 processors
I'm pretty sure they mostly use the MIPS-architecture. Are you one of those faggots who think x86 is the only arch that there ever was?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.