[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do un-revistable areas in RPGs make anyone else here feel nervous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

File: latest.png (385KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
385KB, 640x480px
Do un-revistable areas in RPGs make anyone else here feel nervous? Like, so many times, you'll advance the story in a game and not be able to revisit something the way it was, such as a town becoming permanently inaccessable or an area being destroyed and simply a tiny fraction of what it was.

FFVIII was probably the worst about this when you hit disc 4 and suddenly you couldn't enter anywhere that had actual people in it.
>>
>>3909201
I hated it in FFIX.
They did it to save memory space on the later CDs.
>>
FFIX's fourth disc closes off a few areas via Iifa Tree roots. Otherwise entire cities are still accessible but nearly destroyed. Last time I played it I hung around on Disc 3 for a while instead of on Disc 4.
>>
>>3909206
Really? I never thought of that, but it makes sense. Typically the last disc of the playstation FFs were full of FMVs.
>>
>>3909206
>They did it to save memory space on the later CDs.

That's what everyone assumes, but did you actually check if the Disc was full?
>>
>>3909201
That first area of the PC version of Harry Potter 2 always spooked me because you couldn't return.
>>
Just store a save on the disc before the point of no return like everybody else.

What I hate are the passive things that'll prompt a major event.

Like, in FF7 before the Midgar invasion, if you simply fly over Midgar, you are forced into the invasion, even if you were on your way to do something else.

Or FF8 if you fly near Lunatic Pandora it triggers the cutscene and you fly right into it
>>
>>3909217
I usually make a new save at every major event. Still though, it's unsettling to face change within the world, partially because it means my actions are having consequences and partially because I'd like to see the world at after the game has progressed for some time.

It's like in FFV when the worlds collide and stuff starts getting sucked into the void, I thought I was finally going to get to see some world 1 stuff again.
>>
>>3909223
Jeez, I'd have to have a memory card for every game if I was that autistic.
>>
>>3909226
I had two of these things.

It's only really a problem in RPGs since I get attached to the world. In other games it's not a big deal since I view the game more as a sequence than a living world.
>>
>>3909201
>FFVIII was probably the worst about this

You mean FF9. FF8 had a plot-related reason for areas becoming inaccessible. FF9 makes no attempt to explain it away. And FF9 has a great deal of permanently missable content and sidequests in every area you get locked out of.

FF8 at least allowed you access to the Ragnarok crew and the Card Queen. That allows you to finish up your card collection, which you can refine into useful spells and items to prepare for Ultimecia's Castle.
>>
It's just part of the game. I thought it was spectacular in Xenogears when the world nearly dies towards the end. It also gives more incentive to replay the game.
>>
>>3909242
Pretty much all FFs do it at some point.

>FF1: Entering the temple of fields past without an exit spell will lock you in.
>FF5: Start in world 1, warp to world 2, finally fuse the worlds only to have many spots eaten by the void.
>FF6: World is destroyed midway through the game, many places are changed and some are off limits.
>FF7: Huge world map changes after disc 2, sector 7 and many parts of Midgar, Mideel and temple of the ancients are only briefly accessible, northern crater is completely changed after waking Seph.
>FF8: Time Compression blocks a number of cities on disc 4, leaving most of the world only dungeons.
>FF9: Lifa Tree goes nuts and roots over a lot of places (And fuck this game for having so many permanently missable items and sidequests.
>>
>>3909251
>FF1: Entering the temple of fields past without an exit spell will lock you in.

Thankfully, some of the later ports add a warp to the past.

But this is kind of irrelevant in the NES version since you can't save inside the temple anyway.
>>
>>3909256
Yeah, thankfully. I just remember being a kid and mounting my first expedition inside, I never bothered getting exit spells because I didn't understand more than FIR, ICE, LIT for mages. It was a sort of one way trip and Kraken finished me off before I got to the lowest level.
>>
>>3909251
>Lifa Tree
Iifa, it starts with an i.
>>
File: Liberty in Death.jpg (2MB, 2205x2813px) Image search: [Google]
Liberty in Death.jpg
2MB, 2205x2813px
It's your fear of death. Deep down you know that sooner or later you won't be able to go back home again.
>>
File: feels short man.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feels short man.png
7KB, 645x773px
>>3909272
My life has been a complete lie.
>>
>>3909201
Yep. I'm normally not one to shit on linearity in RPGs but there's nothing more irritating than being locked out of certain areas for the rest of the game. Especially since if you missed some items you were collecting you'd have to start the game all over again just to get them.

Most recent example for me would be in FF10, while it may not count since the area is still technically accessible, I missed one of the Al Bhed Primers that was hidden (by a conveniently placed NPC) in Besaid Village, and when I tried to go back and get it there was an insanely powerful superboss blocking the way. You can't even avoid it, it automatically triggers the second you step foot in the village. Since I couldn't be fucked grinding and buffing to take down this one superboss I just gave up.
>>
>>3909275
I don't have a home anon.
>>
>>3909306
What superboss was it? I don't remember there being something there on later visits.
>>
>>3909306
why don't you make a new game on FFx
grab that primer you misse
save
load up your good data
go to the sphere that lets you load primers from other data
and grab that primer you missed?
>>
>>3909312
Dark Valefor

>>3909328
Which means having to sit through all those fucking cutscenes again.
>>
>>3909334
Valefor is the easy one, and you can't even beat him?

Hope you didn't miss the destruction sphere treasure while you were there the first time.
>>
>>3909215
Given the amount of ending FMV there are, I'm gonna go ahead and not waste time checking and assume it's true.
>>
>>3909272
What timeline am i in?
>>
>>3909238
I bought one of those but it looks a tad bit different

I wonder what the failure rate on these things is like

but to answer your question OP, getting locked from going to an area ever again always annoys me because WHAT IF THERE WAS LOOT THERE WHAT IF I MISSED A SIDEQUEST

that's why, during the later generations of consoles, I make a new save 75% of the time I save
>>
>>3909201
I hate it, the whole reason I play RPGs is for exploration and discovery, it pretty much takes away the most crucial part of my experience. It's ok in small doses, like when a town or two is destroyed in Lunar: Silver Star for plot reasons, but FF VIII type shit ruins a big part of the game for me. Star Ocean 2 handled this kind of situation perfectly.
>>
>>3909362
Dark Valefor is still four times stronger than Braska's Final Aeon, even if she is the weakest of the Dark Aeons.
>>
>>3909306
Protip for future playthroughs, all Dark Aeons can be zanmato'd by Yojimbo
>>
>>3909580
>having that much gil
>>
>>3909369
About 50MB free on disc 4.
Not enough, I guess.
>>
>>3909572
>4x stronger than something you should have no problem beating even without breaking the damage limit

So get a few of the e-z ultimate weapons, and go in with full overdrives, and demolish that shit and get your primer if you can't be bothered to play a new game for less than 5 hours and grab it yourself.
>>
>>3909596
I got regular zanmatos just by giving him a single gil each time
>>
>there are 5 NPCs in a room
>if you talk to the wrong one, the story progresses and you can't talk to the others, potentially missing something
>do you feel lucky?
>>
>>3909384
did you not think it was strange when you were a kid that they never capitalized the supposed 'L'?
>>
>>3909390
Multi-memory cards that do not use a clunky physical toggle switch are universally shit.

They use software tricks to swap out compressed memory banks and working from SRAM (with no battery backup) which results in them being erased frequently.

The ones with physical switches use oversized memory chips and the switches tie address lines to ground, thus forcing a physical portion of the chip to only be visible to the console, and not relying on software or compression, or even requiring power to switch.

A good example of these are the 2-in-1 PS1 memory cards with a toggle switch, or the 4-in-1 Dreamcast memory cards with a 4 position slider switch.

the PS1 cards have a 256kb chip in them, and the A7 address line on the chip is grounded or pulled high by a switch, physically segmenting the memory space into 2x128 swappable banks in a single non-volatile chip.
>>
>>3909309
Of course you do. It's just poorer and in greater jeopardy than most.
>>
>>3909612
That "four times" means regularly dishing out 9999 on the party, and a defense-ignoring untyped 50,000 damage limit break.
>>
>>3909717
Guess you might want to stock up on Phoenix Downs more than X-potions then, am I right?
>>
>>3909718
You can't use phoenix downs if you're dead, anon.
>>
>>3909309
Stop whining Morrissey
>>
>>3909716
A home is a place where people who understand you and support you wait for you to return from your work and nurture your growth when you're not working.
>>
>>3909719
Are you just here to complain about missing your Al-Bhed primer and the impossible conditions that are put in front of acquiring it, or are you looking for solutions to the problem?
>>
>>3909659
It wasn't /vr/ but I think there was a game I played where whether a party member lived or died depended on who you spoke to in a moment like that.

It drove me nuts.
>>
>>3909727
I'm not him dumbfuck, I'm someone who is outright telling you that even the weakest dark aeon will completely stomp a party that can take on the final boss
>>
>>3909730
>that scene in Batman where either Harvey or his girlfriend have to die
>>
>>3909731
That's a very loose assessment of a players situation
>completely stomp a party that is at the end of the games progression

So where are they supposed to be if not there?
I already suggested he grabs the EZ ultimate weapons, which would include Auron's and Wakka's, and then nuking him with overdrive meters that are already full.
>>
>>3909730
>GTA 4 choosing between Roman or Kate
>>
File: s-l300[1].jpg (9KB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300[1].jpg
9KB, 300x236px
>>3909726
Your entitlement is showing, Millenial
>>
>>3909740
sounds like your home isn't a home either anon
>>
>>3909686
Nope, i always thought it to be Lifa Tree.
>>
>>3909251

>FF9: Lifa Tree goes nuts and roots over a lot of places (And fuck this game for having so many permanently missable items and sidequests.

My brother bought 9 with a strategy guide book so I was able to get a fairly complete playthrough without missing anything. The game was still enjoyable despite being walked through some of it (I still tried to find the chocographs myself.)
>>
>>3909709
the one I have just has a light that displays letters/numbers for which memory card is selected and 2 buttons to toggle back and forth

is that good or destined for failure?
>>
>>3909580
That's how I beat the final boss.
>>
>>3909580
Everything can be Zanmato'd I'm pretty sure
>>
>>3909809
>My brother bought 9 with a strategy guide book so I was able to get a fairly complete playthrough without missing anything.

You mean the one that was "enhanced" by PlayOnline? Half the guide's content had to be accessed exclusively online. And even then, the guide didn't detail every sidequest.

There's one sidequest that wasn't even discovered until just recently. No published guide has any mention of it.
>>
>>3910093
Which one?
>>
>>3909201
No.

Because quite honestly, "missables" dont bother me. I play games for fun, and that often comes from just beating them.

I don't care about 100%ing most games that don't have a 100% counter at the end.

I don't care about finding all the GF's or Espers, or Eidolons, or whatever else.

I don't care about getting ultimate weapons.

I just do what I want and beat it. It's not like you can't just replay it again later. The idea of a perfect save file is something you should've let go of after you hit puberty.
>>
>>3910250
>Pays $60 for a game
>Doesnt want all the content

So when you buy footlong subs, are you okay with getting a 6inch?
>>
>>3910241
>Which one?

The first official one, I believe by BradyGames.

There was another guide printed sometime after, probably as a result of complaints about the first guide.
>>
>>3910250
>I just do what I want and beat it

So you want to pay full price to experience approximately half of the game's content because you think it's childish not to shut yourself out of sidequests?

Am I understanding this post correctly, Anon?
>>
>>3910313
>It's not like you can't just replay it again later.
>>
>>3910324
No I mean the side quest.
>>
>>3910331
>The idea of a perfect save file is something you should've let go of after you hit puberty

Copy all of it next time. My point still stands.
>>
>>3910340
>No I mean the side quest.

Take your pick of any number of news articles that speak of this subject:
https://duckduckgo.com/lite?q=ff9+new+sidequest&kg=g&kp=-1
>>
>>3909251
It's one thing when it happens on CDs as a way to save space, but for cartridges there's no excuse. It's just bad design to suddenly lock people out of areas they may not have finished exploring.
>>
>>3910385
Wat, that's not an obscure sidequest at all. The benereo and genereo and others thing? Seriously? ... How is that an "undiscovered" sidequest???
>>
>>3910397
>Wat, that's not an obscure sidequest at all.

It's obscure enough that no guide to date had any coverage of it. 100% Excalibur II walkthroughs didn't even know of the quest, which was unfortunate news for anyone who had previously completed what they believed to be a 100% save file, because the quest becomes missable after a certain point.
>>
>>3909659
It's funny, I can't think a single example off the top of my head where this happens but it feels like I've encountered it a hundred times.
>>
>>3909312
>I don't remember there being something there on later visits.
It probably wasn't in the version you played. The dark aeons were PAL region only.
>>
>>3910328
>>3910313
>>3910346
>>3910340

Wow you guys got triggered.

Side quests, especially in JRPG's are redundant.

>equipment you get is obsolete by end game gear
>making this lengthy sidequest wortheless

Take Aeris' final limit break as a shining example of how worthless they are. You can use it for 1 dungeon, then it's gone. The whole sidequest rendered worthless.

You guys got mad triggered by my shit posting in an obvious bait thread.
>>
>>3909717
Doesn't sound as bad as the Earth Eater, really, that fucker made me grind like mad to beat him.
>>
>>3910567
I don't even care about actually unlocking anything, and a lot of the times I won't. For example, on a lot of my FFVII playthroughs, I leave Ruby and Emerald weapon still alive at the end of the game and don't do any chocobo breeding.

It's not about actually doing anything available, it's the idea that at any time, I could go back and actually do it. If I were to come back a year later and look to do more content, now most of it is locked and I have to start from scratch to get to something new.
>>
>>3910567
On the other hand Chrono Trigger's sidequests do you give you the best end game gear.
>>
>>3910567
Nice cherrypicked example, genius. If you were gonna shit post, you should have at least done it about a game that doesn't have a sidequest as rewarding as Nights of the Round (and tons of other game breaking materia).
>>
I always wanted to re-visit the prison in FF8.
And the prison in FF7
And the Cetra Excavation site ruins in FF8.
>>
>>3911156
Especially in 7 because you can get an enemy skill there. You can get it elsewhere too but if you miss it you'll have to wait awhile.
>>
>>3909580
Relying in Zanmato is for plebs.
>>
>>3909580
Literally a pay 2 win
>>
File: glory of heracles 3.jpg (67KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
glory of heracles 3.jpg
67KB, 640x350px
>Whole world gets flooded
>Feel a little spooked
>Suddenly, Hades summons you down under
>>
>>3909217
>Just store a save on the disc before the point of no return like everybody else.

Back in the day I could not do that. Parents didn't understand why you needed an extra thing like a memory card to save so never got it for me. They'd go "You should just be able to save on the disc like how older games saved on the cart" or something akin to that. Didn't get a memory card until the PS2 came out. Beating the Legend of Dragoon like that was a bitch.
>>
>>3909242
>FF9 makes no attempt to explain it away.

The roots of the Ilfa Tree surface around the world to flood every location with mist, to spawn more monsters, drive more people made, all to increase the death rate and the rate of souls that get sucked up by the tree and thus makes more mist.
>>
>>3912107
Was gonna post this. Thanks for saving me the trouble m8.
>>
>>3909726
a home is where you feel safe.
>>
File: IsaacPromo.jpg (33KB, 301x344px) Image search: [Google]
IsaacPromo.jpg
33KB, 301x344px
>>3909201
That was always bad, but it was even worse if the point of no return would permanently debuff you if you hadn't 100% the area before it. Any other games besides Golden Sun do this? Those 1-3 missing Djinn slots still haunt me to this day...
>>
>>3912454
This shit is why I read every fucking walkthrough. I don't wanna stumble around and get fucked just because I decided I didn't wanna explore this part today. Fuck you, devs.
>make mistake
>aw gee anon, now you have to replay everything just to get this little thing!
Go to hell.
>>
>>3909217
I'm like 100% sure you could leave Lunatic Pandora even after crashing into it with Ragnarok. I guess point of no return would be the fight with Seifer there after which he kidnaps Rinoa.
>>
I don't mind missing things.
What I hate is when you have to talk with absolutely everyone and everything, sometimes even multiple times and in a specific order, in order to advance.
>>
>>3909580
You know, you could just beat the bosses with your skill and knowledge. Zanmato is literal pay-to-win.
>>
>>3913113
Yes, point of no return is either the cutscene with Seifer, or right after that just before fighting Adel, I'm not sure.
>>
>>3910567
>Side quests, especially in JRPG's are redundant.
Luckily not all JRPGs are ill designed FF garbage.
>>
>>3913136
Thanks for backing me up. Next, could you get rid of your name-fagging. It serves absolutely no purpose here.
>>
>>3913134
>You know, you could just beat the bosses with your skill and knowledge.
No you can't, FFX is about grinding. FF8 is better.
>>
>>3913154
>>
>>3909737
You know there's this thing called "postgame" right? The stat caps of FFX are astronomically beyond what you need to beat BFA
>>
>>3910093
>until just recently
And by this he means "A dirty gaijin took hold of a forbidden tome only available in GLORIOUS NIPPON and read the dark passage" while refusing to mention that this guide was released in 2002.
>>
You know I totally found that hammer and just never finished the sidequest because I never finished the game either!

and I never will
>>
>>3913161
Bitch please. Wakka's Celestial Weapon or any weapon with Break Damage Limit, learn to hit Slots overdrive 2-2-2, and everyone else Entrusting their overdrive meter to Wakka. Also replace less than 4 point Sphere Nodes to 4 nodes. You get lot of steps in grid by just exploring and in Monster Arena.

I admit the final super boss Penance is full of shit, but Dark Aeons shouldn't need too much grinding.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.