[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Y'all want to design a pinball machine? source: I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

File: safecracker.jpg (51KB, 369x630px) Image search: [Google]
safecracker.jpg
51KB, 369x630px
Y'all want to design a pinball machine?

source: I'm a pinball machine repairman
>>
Yeah. Something cool with not too much art and with iconic music.
>>
File: JCVD-Kino.jpg (617KB, 2000x2852px) Image search: [Google]
JCVD-Kino.jpg
617KB, 2000x2852px
Bloodsport themed table when?
>>
Sure. Go ahead and whip us up one that has multiple fields, unique mechanical features and multiball.
>>
>>3908086
That's kind of my idea. How do you feel about an upstairs playfield where you can only see the area directly around the flippers and a few inches above. Like an opaque plastic over the field.
>>
>>3908095
Better yet, a shadowbox and/or polarized glass that can hide or show the playfield depending on some other game state.
>>
>>3908051
Plunger button. Vertical field only, like the one from Banzai Run. No lights on the field itself. Only the ball lights up, and the lighting changes based on where it is on the field. Speakers are located in the feet of the machine. The machine is activated by swiping a credit card, and the machine takes money from it based on what your score is. The display is rainbow-coloured DMD, but there's no video mode. The flippers are powered by capacitors that you have to charge with repeated pushes of the buttons.
>>
make it like a skatepark with halfpipes for the ball and a bunch of loop de loops n shit
>>
>>3908095
That sounds like an ass idea. I'm bad enough at pinball already. I don't need the added handicap of blindness.
>>
File: 250px-Black_Hole_(pinball).jpg (39KB, 250x325px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Black_Hole_(pinball).jpg
39KB, 250x325px
>>3908109
Kind of exists already used to have one of these machines as a kid. There was a smaller table underneath that you played backwards and it was normally blacked out by a large lcd panel. When ball dropped below it cleared up and lights underneath would turn on and everything above would turn off. It was really cool to play but it broke fucking constantly.
>>
File: bh-upfafter1.jpg (51KB, 400x682px) Image search: [Google]
bh-upfafter1.jpg
51KB, 400x682px
>>3908151
Welp fucked up the image it was called black hole though.
>>
>>3908051
No. And it'd be a cluster fuck and never happen. Better go with talking about how youre thinking about making a mame cab.
source: a guy who repaired more pinball machines before you were born than you will in you life.
>>
>>3908471
Having grown up around older arcade and pinball machines anyone who does that shit for a living gets my respect. I still remember the first time I opened up our F14 tomcat machine when I was in high school and wondering what the fuck I got myself into. It kept burning up relays for some reason never could figure out why just eventually got real good at replacing them and kept a pile of spares in the cabinet.
>>
>>3908903
I don't think anyone does repairs for a living. It's a means to an end. Cost of doing business. Charity work at best. Relays. Yeah, you'll need a cabinet full of them on the best of days.
>>
File: fireball4.jpg (153KB, 768x900px) Image search: [Google]
fireball4.jpg
153KB, 768x900px
I really love the magnetic disk in Fireball. Any other tables with something like this?
>>
>>3909660
Magnetic? That's just a spinning disk. Whirlwind has it too. Addams Family actually does have magnets that shift the ball around during multiball.
>>
File: 1458110780138.jpg (31KB, 518x426px) Image search: [Google]
1458110780138.jpg
31KB, 518x426px
>>3909665
No shit? Shows how much I know. Never heard of Whirlwind though, thanks m8
>>
Final Fantasy table

The ball is the White Materia, and the world is in trouble.

Hit power ups, and chain combos to prevent disaster!

Power up the Materia Weapons for multi ball, and extra points!

Plant the materia in equipment sockets to unleash super powers for an ULTRA HIGH SCORE

Don't forget to fill that limit meter!
>>
>>3909672
Whirlwind was like the most popular with the spinning wheel maybe the first IIRC
>>
File: Backglass(2).jpg (68KB, 406x450px) Image search: [Google]
Backglass(2).jpg
68KB, 406x450px
>many faps
>>
>>3908051
Safecracker isn't a pinball machine, it's a redemption game / gambling machine.
>>
>>3909660
Yeah as already pointed out that's a spinning disc and whirlwind is probably the most notable one to have it. Magnasave was a similarish thing using actual magnets.
>>
>>3909691
>The spinning disc was promoted in the flyer as a whirlwind spinner. To our knowledge, this is the only flyer to use that term. Fireball was not the first pinball machine to have a spinning disc. An earlier example is Electro-Ball Company's 1932 'Jig-alo Electro-Ball'.

Also, Fireball had almost 4,000 commercial machines produced in the first run, an untold number of knockoff repros, 2,000 US official re-issues, untold German official re-issues, and over 10,000 machines produced just for sales to home users.

Whirlwind was produced at a number equal to 7,304 total machines. Pat Lawlor is a huckster and shameless self promoter, and it sounds like his hucksterism worked on you.

P.S. Twilight Zone is not best seller of all time. Flash and Black Knight are.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (582KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
582KB, 1536x2048px
>>3908051
Why would I want to design a new machine, when the genre/design was perfected in 1992?
>>
>>3910957
Pic unrelated, right? Addams is far from perfect.
>>
>>3910957
>perfect
>>
>>3910957
Playfield magnet is cancer. Turn that shit off and it's pretty kino.

>>3909986
>Flash and Black Knight are.
You mean Addams Family.
>>
>>3911059
Nope I mean Flash and Black Knight. Addams and Twilight Zone were both heavily discounted after being sold for some time in order to boost sales figures and give the game(s) the false title of "best seller ever". Flash sold more copies without having to stoop to such tricks.

Black Knight would have beaten both despite any cheap tricks if it hadn't been for the cheapest trick of all—Claude Fernandez stealing the entire left side of the machine after begging a place to live from Steve Ritchie and his wife, begging for a job from Ritchie at Williams. He got them, and once he had them he had access. Access to steal the design and bring it to Bally. One day he walks in and says "I'm leaving" and never returned. Went to Bally. 6 months living with Steve Ritchie and his wife to commit the ultimate betrayal. Black Knight is #1 best seller of all time. You'll find the other half of its sales figures in the form of Flash Gordon (couldn't be content to steal the layout, had to steal the name of Ritchie's other massive success also in ½. Steal half a playfield, steal half a name, boom 10,000 sales taken away from Black Knight).

Don't believe the Lawlor lies.
>>
>>3912635
The discounted Addams / Twilight Zone and resulting sales figures comes directly from Pat Lawlor also, so it's not exactly Lawlor lies. He freely admits that the games didn't truly sell in such amounts and it grieves him.

However, Addams Family is not Pat Lawlor's game. It is Roger Sharpe's game.
>>
>>3911059
Not just timing it out is for ultraplebs
>>
>>3909660
Twilight zone has an area with two magnets that replace your flippers. It's a fun table even if I have no idea what is going on.
>>
>>3913630
Typical crowded Lawlor layout featuring tons of stops and wide but not deep rules.
>>
File: 89d065dd9f43d678f96201c33a7c8dee.jpg (409KB, 1007x1126px) Image search: [Google]
89d065dd9f43d678f96201c33a7c8dee.jpg
409KB, 1007x1126px
>>3914649
I'm not too into the pinball lingo. My only experience is a Joker's Wild table in my aunt and uncle's basement and a local pinball arcade that I've only been to a couple of times.
What defines a good and bad table in your opinion?
>>
>>3908051
>I'm a pinball machine repairman
I don't imagine you've gotten much work since 1997ish
>>
>>3914672
Just "Jokerz!" I mean.
>>
>>3914672
Bad table is two ramps and a center target. This is why I'll never understand why people consistently rate Scared Stiff as a "top 10 ever" pinball machine. It's like X-Files or something. SEGA level of layout.

Not that a SEGA table has to be bad. Rules are important. Lawlor doesn't always mean no deep rules either. Take Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Sure it's crowded as balls with tons of blocked shots. But the rules are deep. You can stack modes with multiballs, work towards goals. As opposed to Twilight Zone where there are usually optimal decisions for any given situation. Wide rules on that table, rather than deep. But it's good also. Getting lost in the zone isn't like discovering the lost 8th continent though.

Best example of deep rules combined with quality design is Lord of the Rings. You've got a fan layout there, nothing special you might think. But the shots have diverters and such, they can become other shots depending on context. Shoot the ring to start a mode, but only if it's a fresh ball or you've gotten 3 Elf Rings. 3 different regular multiballs for each book. Rock war of the ents as default mode since it's achievable. Achieve success on a mode and light a gift from the elves by shooting Mordor. Shoot Mordor 7 times anyway for an extra ball, key for achieving physical entry into heaven / Valinor. Valinor. The most difficult and worthy test of one's skill in all of pinball. One must acquire all 7 gifts from the elves, complete successfully all 3 multiballs, then destroy the ring (in that order). This often requires repeating multiballs that have already been cleared. But the stacking son. You want to clear Shelob mode? Best be stacking with Two Towers multiball. Get that one lit from the inlane / outlane rollovers. KEEP. But if you're shooting for Gandalf v. Saruman or Kill the Witch King, Fellowship multiball would work better since the dwarf tossing bridge cross shots that youneedtohitafterknocking(no space)
>>
>>3914737
With only 2000 characters, one cannot begin to discuss Lord of the Rings. To begin to understand its greatness, watch someone play for an hour on this sort of…magic quest.

Hell, the game has 3 different skill shots. You pick your skill shot. I like the Tower, since you get hits on Path of the Dead bagatelle upper playfield plus big points. But sometimes the best strategy is a short plunge so you can get to a catch on the right flipper without hitting a switch and get a free ball save. Scope this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9PnCwcYPwY
>>
May be a little off topic, but what do you guys think about virtual pinball? Been thinking about building one
>>
Pinball is a fundamentally flawed genre because good play revolves around making it as boring as possible. Trap the ball, slow things down, never take risks. The less time you spend interacting and the more you spend watching the better you'd doing.
>>
>>3914809
well you can do it that way, sure, be autistic and hold the ball every time it comes down, then practice your shitty jackpot shots, but aside from ignoring the funhaving and coolkidatthearcade-being aspects, you're also missing other aspects
for example, it can be said of many genres that if you want to increase your chances of winning, you need to make adjustments to what would be the "normal" method of playing the game
is this over-grinding in rpgs so that you don't have to make actual decisions during boss battles? is it retreating back to a health replenishment or a save point every time you're able? doing these things too will remove risk
how about practicing combos like you would a skill shot?
ball trapping and risk management in pinball is no different, and like a good video game, a good pinball table will either throw in something to throw you off of over-management, or use it to it's advantage
timed skill shots, multiball, upper playfields, giant spinnan magnets, there are all kind of things that have been done to throw off such autistic practices you describe in order to reward high risk, high precision shots and/or ball management and reaction time
good tables do it well just like good games do it well
unless you're seriously mad about the ramp flourishes, or that a ball in an upper playfield will of course have to drop to the lower before you have a chance of losing most of the time
if you're referring to something else entirely, you're going to have to say so
>>
>>3914809
That's a fundamentally flawed meme analysis because it assumes trapping automatically happens, shot precision is 100%, combos don't exist, hurry-ups don't exist, timed modes don't exist, and more.
>>
Do you guys ever get triggered by people who think pinball is just a game that doesn't require skill and they just think pinball is just "pinball"?
>>
>>3914982
>Did you ever get triggered by a child saying pinball is a stupid dumb poopoo head game?
lel
>>
>>3914832
>justifying a bad genre because other genres are bad too

RPGs that reward grinding are also shit.
>>
>>3914737
LOTR is great, but that ring ramp is pure shit. Almost every machine I've seen on location has weak flippers that barely manage to dribble the ball over the edge of the ramp, let alone get it in the mode start.
>>
>>3908051
No, but could you help me fix my CFTBL?
>>
File: 1483825104334[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1483825104334[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>When I was a young man, I played a silver ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkw-5htPw0

Bumpin because I find some of this deeper analysis of pinball strategy fascinating. I was a little too young to ever be part of the pinball culture, any unlimited play arcades I go to that have pins are always half broken and that led me to never actually trying to own any - even Pac-Man Jr which seems sweet as fuck.

Pachinko machines are much simpler really and their complex mechanisms aren't shared and their strategy is different, being about calculating statistics on the fly... But still bump.
>>
As much as I loved the Terminator table, with the pistol grip electronic ball release.. I'm really a sucker for skill shots, and wish they had a mechanic that was still unique, but allowed for them.

Maybe like a two handed pump shotgun ball shot, depending on how hard you slam fired that puppy.
>>
>>3915283
>pump is on a ratcheting mechanism that locks the spring however far back you're strong enough to pull it
>get some friends to help you do a 200+ pound pull
>click that trigger and watch that ball blast through two weighted doors straight to the upper field complete with immensely satisfying glass shattering sound for the first door then nuclear explosion sound on the second
Sweeeet. Seems like the table would get knocked over a lot though
>>
What's the best virtual pinball option if I just want to sit in front of my monitor?
>>
File: startrektng-pinball.jpg (72KB, 320x426px) Image search: [Google]
startrektng-pinball.jpg
72KB, 320x426px
Who else played this /badboy/
>>
>>3915332
BALLS OF STEEL PINBALL
>>
>>3915120
Don't forget the fact that if the operator doesn't juice the spinner then it's this 18-pound wall that sits in front of the jump. But a proper machine should allow you to shoot the J. Even this Visual Pinball X 4K resolution nonsense table 1.2 version that's just out the last few weeks it's hard to shoot the J. The guy who built the table made it so that you need to shoot the shot perfectly straight—the ramp doesn't guide you.

Speaking of juicing the spinner, was trying to get Ripley's letters and discover that 8th continent on location on RBION. Whenever Asia mode would start, I'd nail the spinner and get exactly 0–1 spins on the spinner. Juice that fucking spinner, Jesus. 1 drop of lubricant.
>>
>>3915341
Almost got to plunge the wizard mode last time but left the extra ball on the table that would have allowed it.
>>
File: 20170402_001913.jpg (1MB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_001913.jpg
1MB, 2048x1232px
My local arcade replaced their Creature with an NBA Fastbreak. I would be more mad, but Fastbreak is a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. I actually hope it's still there the next time I go, cause I know this score won't hold up.
>>
>>3916903
Hope you know basketball trivia from the 1990s. Great time-proof thing to design pinball scoring around.
>>
>>3917602
I would have broken 200 if I knew my irrelevant bar trivia.
>>
>>3918139
Well I tell you what, I'm not into this new "low score" trend. Play the damn Hobbit for a ½ hour and get however many xxx,423 points or xx,149 points or some nonsense, who even remembers. Is it good? Is it bad? Where are the modes? Just a bunch of caffeinated standups. Like watching yeyed up Dominicans play dominoes.
>>
This one's going back to the top.
>>
I've been thinking about Pinball, I think if I could choose any pinball theme I would choose Family Double Dare.

I think the potential is pretty good, though it might be hard to create proper abstractions of everything from the show.

I definitely know enough about it to say what elements would need to be in there though, and enough to even design some 3D model mockups if it would help at all.
>>
>>3922031
Like a big nose?
>>
>>3910957
I recognize that workshop, that's TNT Amusements. Fucking love their youtube channel, working there seems like an absolute dream job.
>>
File: IMG_9850.jpg (452KB, 1200x1308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9850.jpg
452KB, 1200x1308px
>>3922031
You're about 25 years late. But considering the games that were released around 1990, a Double Dare would have fit in nicely back then.
>>
>>3908051
A few years ago I got Visual Pinball (a platform for developing pinball videogames in visual basic) and then I realized I have no imagination for designing pinball tables.
>>
File: przrol.png (22KB, 323x254px) Image search: [Google]
przrol.png
22KB, 323x254px
>tfw a new pinball spot opens up nearby
I'm fucking ready.
>>
>>3922083
Most definitely. I've been working on some double dare stuff actually, the host podium for example.

The nose would be a funny choice for a lock. Just plug both nostrils. I was also thinking something like a physical challenge multiball. Maybe something else For obstacle course too, like complete a series of shots within 60 seconds and win X prize (and points) for each one.

>>3922429
I dunno, nick themselves celebrated the show's 30th anniversary last year, given 2020 will be the 30th for family double dare, I think you could develop a good machine from now to then and release it on that occasion.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.