[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Killer Instinct the most functional western-developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

Is Killer Instinct the most functional western-developed fighting game?
>>
Damn now I want to play some motherfucking Killer Instinct. I'm hearing orchid and sabrewulfs themes right now in my head

fuck you
>>
>>3907000
Maybe the new one, but that's not retro
>>
File: killer-cuts-5088995d7c7e9.jpg (293KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
killer-cuts-5088995d7c7e9.jpg
293KB, 1000x1000px
>>3907041
I'm talking about the original, can't think of other western fighting game that plays better than it.

>>3907026
such a feeling
>>
>>3907026
haha I have been listening to orchid's theme from Killer Instinct gold a lot lately way better than the first game theme imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmKxgX3NVVU
>>
>>3907048
I should get around to trying the arcade/gold versions someday.
>>
>>3907000
>most functional
Hell no.
But goddamn they have sweet OST
>>
>>3907042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lt0r-2xLPo

Coolest intro music ever.
>>
>>3907057
What other western-developed fighting game would you consider more functional than KI?
>>
>>3907060
Eternal Darkness CD
>>
>>3907060
UMK3
>>
>>3907063
Only played the MD version and wouldn't call it more functional than KI. How different is the CD version?

>>3907064
>block button
dropped
>>
Killer Instinct actually took quite some notes from Street Fighter and Darkstalkers.

For one, you can block in mid-air on KI, like in Darkstaklers.
Can't think of a western fighter that has mid-air block.
>>
I always wondered why people consider street fighter or killer instinct more functional than mortal kombat 2 or 3. I hate holding back to block and I hate the 'charge back for 2 seconds then forward' to make a move, it's so obvious what you're doing! To me mortal kombat 2 is still the greatest fighter of all time and I still play it with my friends regularly. FINISH HIM!
>>
>>3907082
I always found MK's input methods too clunky.
SFII's controls have a flow, like doing a hcf or a dragon punch really feels natural to me, while MK has less diagonal inputs and more weird shit like "up, down" (while holding the block button) and charge attacks on MK just make you hold a button for 5 seconds then release it.
I still like MK 2 and 3 though, bust I think it's mostly nostalgia, whereas I enjoy SFII for the gameplay.
>>
>>3907087
A lot of high tier competitive MK players say the being problem is move inputs and how they "tell" the opponent
>>
>>3907000
Why was 90's CGI so fucking cool? Even in movement, I mean the FMVs in Killer Instinct are sick.
>>
>>3907064
umk3 is legit and its almost entirely by accident and i love it
>>
It's the only fighting game I was ever good at. Fucking loved Spinal.
>>
>>3907060
Ultimate Body Blows
>>
>>3907421
>implying
>>
>>3907378

Spinal is so cute. It's funny how the early 3D style makes the ostensibly pretty, sexy character (Orchid) into a weird angular alien, while the skellington is like a little scrappy buddy that you just want to chuckle at and pat on the head.

They got better at it with the sequel though.

>>3907058

This game did have good sound. Not just the music, which is quite cool at times, but especially the sound effects. Fulgore sounds really real, with all his weighty clanks when he jumps or gets knocked down, and his freaky pig squeals, and the menacing hum his electro-bolt-whatever makes. It's all very immersive, and stylish too.

I always liked the voice in Chief Thunder's background music.
>>
I still can't believe fucking Killer Instinct of all things made a comeback.
>>
>>3907741
Primal Rage/Rise of Robots comeback when?
>>
>>3907060
one must fall 2097
>>
>>3907370
>umk3 is legit
lol you mean legit garbage?
>>
The SNES version was basically a clone of Street Fighter 2 with a better combo system and some Mortal Kombat-esque edginess. It's probably my favorite 16-bit fighter, but I'm not much of a fighting game person as it is.
>>
>>3907782
OMF was awesome but could've used more complex controls. I can see why they did it the way they did though, due to the limitations of gameport joysticks.
>>
>>3907793
The SNES version's gameplay is like the arcade game with a few balance tweaks and without the scaling effects from the arcade.
The MK edginess was also part of the original, all the finishing moves are there iirc.
But yeah KI borrowed a lot from SF.
>>
>>3907082
>I hate the 'charge back for 2 seconds then forward' to make a move, it's so obvious what you're doing!
You don't have to literally walk back to charge it and the actual charge time is closer to 2/3 of a second (they mean "2 seconds" on the round timer which runs faster than a real clock), you can be doing absolutely anything as long as you're holding back/down during that period
>>
>>3907793
I think that MK, SFII, and KI all have merits, it's just really dependent on your fighting game flavor.
MK has really improved itself over the years, it's gotten a lot more fluid and LEG SWEEPS are almost gone now, I liked the corny violence, as a kid I thought it was amazing.
Killer Instinct is more an experience, arcade-wise. It looked sleek, and the music and sound effects were top-notch. The emphasis on crazy combos was more of a drawing point to me than MK or SF. Hell, even the new KI has got amazing music (outside of Season 3, when Mick Gordon left).
As for SF, it's way more technical, but I've never been much good at SFII, or any SF game for that matter.
>>
>>3907741
I'd love to play it but I will never be an xbox fag
>>
>>3907918
How about a Windows 10 fag?
>>
>>3907060
Well if we're not talking retro games, Skullgirls is probably the best fighter made by a western dev. It's trickier if we are strictly taking retro because they're aren't nearly as many of them.
>>
>>3907895
did he leave due to drama? why would you just drop doing it, was it to work on Doom that game had such amazing music. What the hell are seasons in a fighting game anyway? I know most DLC is map packs and shit,
>>3907925
nope, do I need winblows 10? I don't want to upgrade from 7 especially since I already turned down the free upgrade
>>
that'd be skullgirls
>>
>>3908020
Not retro
>>
>>3907983
Unfortunately, yeah. I tried to see if I could get it on my Win8 and the Windows store doesn't allow me to buy or download it.
>>
>>3908032
Yeah Im never going to go past windows 7 if they keep up this apple faggotry
>>
KI always seemed like a poor man's MK to me
>>
>>3908413
It's pretty much a rich man's MK.
>>
>>3907042
>Killer Clits

wtf nintendo?
>>
>>3907060
I'm the anon you replied, let me elaborate a little.

KI doesn't work because its mechanic relies on a forced and stablished combo rule which heavily limits creativity and over all ways of playing.
It's not, say, Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes or any other game where combos flow more "fluid", it may sound stupid but I hope you get where I'm heading to.
For some reason, western fighters try too hard to be different and end up forcing mechanics as the core.
Where a japanese fighter truly rewards skill and reading you opponent, western fighters end up being "learn this arbitrary combo rule and hope you follow it before your opponent".

Well, it's just my taste anyways, if you like fighters like this, more power to you.
I just think KI (and for that matter, games with arbitrary combo rules like MK3 too) just are far from functional.
I'm not saying they're bad games, I just hate having to remember specific and never-changing combo rules instead of playing like my gut tells me.
>>
>>3907082
MK controls and inputs in general are clunky as fuck bro, and charge characters are actually one of the most technical characters since you can buffer moves while doing ANYTHING. They're far from obvious and makes the opponent always be on the defense.

Besides, block and run buttons are counter-intuitive and honestly, I think MK is that way just for the sake of being different.
>>
>>3908480
Well, you're talking about Capcom games, but I asked about western fighting games.
I feel KI is the only western fighting game that got it right, precisely because it controls a lot like Capcom's fighters.
>>
>>3907806
I've never played the arcade version, but I thought it would play significantly differently than the SNES being that it's pseudo-3D. I've also heard the arcade version is somewhat more violent than the SNES.
>>
>>3908480
KI's mechanics are rigid but they're also fairly lenient, once you memorize the strings you can pull off flashy long combos fairly consistently, and it is very satisfying. As a kid, this was the game's main attractive to me, most other fighting games at the time didn't even have a combo counter, so if you tried to do a combo you weren't even sure if you pulled it properly. For the ones that did, I often found the timing and setup to be much more strict, most of the time I would end up doing the moves in sequence but the game wouldn't recognize it as a combo because I didn't do it fast enough, and even if I did manage to pull it off proper, there was no satisfactory announcer voice, and the combos were usually much shorter.

I'm sure this sounds ridiculous to the serious fighting enthusiast though, I always felt KI (at least the original) was designed to cater a little bit more to casuals.
>>
>>3909160
KI is 2D with 3D backgrounds, but it plays the same in arcade and SNES, in terms of overall controls, inputs, etc.
The difference is that the arcade has scaling effects (the characters become smaller or bigger depending on how far they are from each other).
SNES version can be considered a more balanced version actually, it fixed some infinite bugs that the arcade has.
>>
>>3909495
It kept the broken Cinder infinite.
>>
>>3909513
Yeah.
>>
>>3909513
Well even without infinites Cinder is already broken
>>
File: kimonster1.gif (974KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
kimonster1.gif
974KB, 400x300px
ULTRAAAAAAA (Ultraaaa ultraaaaaa ultraaaaaaaa)
>>
>>3907082
>'charge back for 2 seconds then forward' to make a move

Agreed.

Wosrt part of KI.

But I still love KI Gold.

Anyway I came here to post one must fall 2097, or the ps1 game, "The Unholy War" (EIDOS interactive was the dev)
>>
>>3910791
>"The Unholy War" (EIDOS interactive was the dev)

It's a bit of a stretch to call that game a fighting game. At least it's not a traditional one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAK3bwOGx0

I used to play this while playing VtM tabletop with friends.
>>
File: eyedol-spinal-ki1.jpg (46KB, 335x600px) Image search: [Google]
eyedol-spinal-ki1.jpg
46KB, 335x600px
Is Eyedol one of the hardest bosses in fighting games?
It's SNK-tier imo.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.