[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In 1996 the big hit in Japan was the emergence of a Tomagochi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

File: 2601509.jpg (24KB, 320x247px) Image search: [Google]
2601509.jpg
24KB, 320x247px
In 1996 the big hit in Japan was the emergence of a Tomagochi - a simple video game with three buttons, the purpose of which is to educate and care for an electronic pet. The name in Japanese was "demanding love egg", and the author is a 31-year-old Japanese woman, Aki Maita, who sold his concept for an electronic animal of Japan's largest toy manufacturer Bandai Corporation. Release tomagochi was held on November 23, 1996, sales in Asia and the United States brought the company more than $ 240 million.

Chris pallante
>>
>>3905808
Are you a dinkychink or street-shitting paid poster who copy/pastes shit from the internet?
>>
Ok
>>
Even when I was 8, I knew this fad was a shitty waste of money
>>
>Intentionally buying something that annoys you.

hahahahaha

- sent from my iPhone
>>
>>3905851
I remember feeling so alienated by this fad. It seemed like you'd have to be an idiot to think it was "cool."

Now that it's behind a curtain of 90s nostalgia and people think it's cool again, I find I don't feel so strongly against it anymore. It's just a weird cultural moment in time, like Furbies and the macarena.
>>
>>3905887
I can appreciate their novelty today, but I still think paying twenty bucks back then for a glorified keychain is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>3905923
I just remember the kids who had them were always either fiddling with them or talking about how they had to go fiddle with them. Maybe I was jealous, but I'm sure I would've hated it. I guess it's a more complicated kind of jealousy, like I was jealous that they seemed to enjoy something I knew I never would.
>>
File: pikachow.jpg (33KB, 309x350px) Image search: [Google]
pikachow.jpg
33KB, 309x350px
>>3905808
I had the pocket pikachu, shit was great, you'd clip him on your belt like a faggot and putz around the mall doing shit, then on the ride home spend all your clicks on shit for the little yellow bastard.
I miss Scannerz too.
>>
File: 4034955077_24ef3bfd29_o[1].jpg (90KB, 400x623px) Image search: [Google]
4034955077_24ef3bfd29_o[1].jpg
90KB, 400x623px
I have the GB games.
They are as bad as the real thing.
>>
>>3905808

Digimon were so much cooler.
>>
File: 1469892782948[1].jpg (455KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1469892782948[1].jpg
455KB, 3264x1836px
>>3905969
I like mine
>>
>>3905980
Yeah man I am so hyped for the 20th anniversary digital monster rerelease this july.
>>
>>3906021

They're coming out with new ones? Awesome.
>>
>>3905851
It was a fad but it was fun to be apart of it
>>
I was freakin' obsessed with virtual pets.

Neighborhood kids were always giving me theirs once they got bored of it, so I ended up with like a dozen of them. Let me see if I can remember which ones I had:

-Tamagotchi (generation 2 with a leopard print shell)
-Gigapet frog
-Gigapet cat from KFC
-more Digimon than I can possibly count
-like three or four Nano Fighters (these things sucked)
-Nekotcha
-Pocket Pikachu
-Furby
-the game Monster Rancher, if that counts

What can I say, I have a strong maternal instinct.

Of course I wanted Pokemon when it came out, and I was a little disappointed that it didn't have any virtual pet elements.

And, thanks for reminding me that I need to check my Neopet.
>>
>>3905969
>>3905997
How do these games work? Are they just Tamagotchis on a GB?
>>
>>3905808
Cool blog faggot. The name in Japanese was not "demanding love egg"

>>3905969
I only have that one. As a game it's shit but as a novelty it's pretty weird looking.
>>
I had one back in the day but the damn thing would be dead and id have to hatch another egg when id get home from school
>>
>>3905969
You mean as good
>>
>>3906184
Should have trained it to sleep during the day - but then I guess it just would have died while you were asleep. Were you not even allowed to have them hooked to your backpacks with the sound turned off?
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (41KB, 471x320px) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
41KB, 471x320px
>>3906184
>not taking it to school with you
>>
>>3905808
>Tamagotchi
>The name in Japanese is "Egg Watch"

FTFY
>>
>>3905887
>cool again
They haven't stopped releasing Tamagotchi since they were first made; we even got some of the mid 2000s models that had online support in America.
>>
Those things were so popular in my class for half a year. I don't remember how we got away with playing with them. I wish there was a phone app one I could play with.
>>
>>3905939
Fun Fact: Scannerz failed in American thanks to being released in the internet age and Americans being cheapskates.

The first kind of toy like Scannerz was released in Japan in the early 90s as "Barcode Battler" and kids would actually BUY the thing that had the code they wanted. There was some no-name brand of ramen whose barcode gave an incredibly powerful monster that started flying off the shelves. The whole appeal of it was scanning everything in your town to see what kind of monster you'd get.

When Scannerz came out in America, kids just looked online for which ones were the strongest and took their Scannerz into stores to scan barcodes right then and there. Add to the fact that it was introduced into the "monster battling" craze of the late 90s/early 00s, and it was doomed to be called just a fad anyway.
>>
>>3906285
It's called Tamagochi Classic, and its been on both Android and Apple for a while now.
>>
>>3906295
Is it a problem that it doesn't come with a widget?
>>
>>3906306
I think they added the pause feature from the new models into the phone app ones.
>>
>>3906325
Well that's sort of missing the point of the thing.
>>
File: tamagoshi.jpg (32KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
tamagoshi.jpg
32KB, 650x487px
I had this one. Still have it but it doesn't work anymore or is out of battery.

It had different metamorphosis each time started and it always ended with death. It then became a grave and resurfaced as a bat devilish thing.
I managed to turn mine into an angel, so good I took care of. My sister was in awe, she didn't even know they could become something other than a bat.
>>
>>3906060
Pokémon GO was the best fad ever I knew it wasn't going to last that long but I went hard at it in the summer time it really brought me that sense of wonder and excitement that I had when being into pokemon as a little kid.
>>
>>3905808
I wanted one of these so bad as a kid because everyone else in my class had one and my mom took me to a store an hour away to get one. Good times.

In retrospect they were worthless garbage but at the time the idea was mindblowing to a child.
>>
gaslight

>>3906265
Wasn't it a pun on "egg" and "friend"?
>>
>>3906050
Yep it's going to have 120+ monsters, even new ones like a new Omegamon, you can raise 2 at once and there are offline 1 player battles, online tourneys and faster evolution times.
>>
>>3905808
I had one of these at the time and I basically realized that I didn't like the virtual pet concept in general. Probably why I didn't like the Chao gardens in SA1 and 2.
>>
File: v4sleeptimes.gif (59KB, 450x740px) Image search: [Google]
v4sleeptimes.gif
59KB, 450x740px
>>3906613
It's a mix of a pun, honestly.

Tamago = Egg
Watchi = Watch
Tomodachi = Friend

So you can either see Tamagotchi as Egg Friend or Egg Watch. It's the emphasis on the "t" that makes the "Egg Watch" ring as equal to "Egg Friend"
>>
>>3907072
>Meme Family
I've been too long on the Internet.
>>
>>3905808
I have the yellow and red one.
I remember 2004 when they made a comeback and for some months everyone were playing them.
Sometimes I think about using it as a key-ring, since I find funny having a piece of retro tech hardware as your usual wear-thing.
Then I think about how retarted that might be, and how easy the keys gonna fuck up the screen
>>
>>3907121
But still too young to legally post here
>>
>>3906290

Japanese children also get large allowances or are sent alone to do the family shopping/run errands. They're not as broke as American kids and they're allowed to go screw around at stores alone all day
>>
I had a Pocket Pikachu and it was boring as fuck. I ended up getting the Pocket Pikachu GS anyway and that thing was fuckin great since there were actual minigames.
>>
>>3905969
Why is this cartridge so big?
>>
If anyone is interested on this...
http://tamagotchi.chez.com/

>>3909469
It has a battery and a speaker.

Unlike the other 2 GameBoy Tamagotchi games, this still works when the GB is OFF.
>>
>>3905808
got in trouble in class cause i didn't mute the fucker
>>
>>3905808
Woman, his?
>the author is a 31-year-old Japanese woman, Aki Maita, who sold his concept
>>
I still remember when they had to be banned at my school all together because kids would have the sound off and always be pulling them out to play in class. They quickly made the rule that if you even had one at school, it was confiscated and your teacher would hold onto it until a parent came to claim it. One kid was so distraught with his dying due to it being stuck in the teacher's desk, that he tried to coordinate an Oceans Eleven heist with like 6 of us involved to try to recover it from her desk. Suffice to say, children are not as smart or sneaky as they think they are and we got caught immediately
>>
File: dragon03[1].gif (15KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
dragon03[1].gif
15KB, 256x224px
Well you also have this
>>
I should get one of these dudes again.
>>
It was not just in Japan. In Brazil it was a big hit too. The GB game did not make so many sucess.
>>3910246
This happened in my school too.
>>
I had a Gigapet t-rex. Motherfucker died of old age pretty quickly, I was so disappointed.
>>
File: tamagotchi-growthchart-00[1].jpg (328KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
tamagotchi-growthchart-00[1].jpg
328KB, 800x530px
>/vr/ is filled with Tamateurs who could only get the duck-lips one
>>
>>3911096
Today, I still don't know how the fuck obtain the secret final form...

In 2nd generation, I obtained 1 of the 2 secret evolutions, but I can't remember how
>>
>>3905808
My oldest niece had one of those. They were prohibited in her school -- kids kept futzing with them instead of paying attention.
>>
>>3905870
underrated post
>>
File: p1chart.png (13KB, 580x248px) Image search: [Google]
p1chart.png
13KB, 580x248px
>>3911436
>Get Masktchi
>Treat it like a fucking king
>>
File: newgrowthchartV4.png (449KB, 767x904px) Image search: [Google]
newgrowthchartV4.png
449KB, 767x904px
>>3911096
>/vr/ is filled with Tamatoddlers who would last a fucking minute in the fast paced world of modern Tamagotchi

You've got to take them to school
Send them online to have them socialize
Find them a job based on how well they did in school
Get a friend with a Tamagotchi so they can fuck or put it in a love-less arranged marriage
Take care of their kid once it becomes a teenager and your original Tamagotchi leaves forever so you can repeat the cycle

or

Watch your Tamagotchi grown old and die childless
>>
>>3905808
>In 1996 the big hit in Japan was the emergence of a Tomagochi - a simple video game with three buttons, the purpose of which is to educate and care for an electronic pet. The name in Japanese was "demanding love egg", and the author is a 31-year-old Japanese woman, Aki Maita, who sold his concept for an electronic animal of Japan's largest toy manufacturer Bandai Corporation.

>Two years later, as suddenly as she left, Aki returned. She never told anyone where she had been or what she had done. But, she began an odd study, all by herself.
As for her Tomagochi...
It never returned.

>Charles barkley

Ftfy
>>
i had a dinosaur one, took it to school, it started beeping because it needed medicine and the teacher snatched it out of my hands and put it on a high shelf out of reach. i was sobbing and begging her to let me give it some medicine and she ignored me and carried on with the class.

i got it back at the end of the day, it was dead.
and that's my experience with tamagotchis.
>>
>>3905808
I went through 2 or 3 before getting the pre-digivice digimon one
>>
>>3906516
Hell yeah man, I had a fucking dinokun too. Badass terror-dactyl.
>>
>>3905808
I remember Tamagotchi being really popular in the mid 00s too, it was a revival really since they went out of style after having been popular in the 90s.
>>
File: 1367648429158.jpg (16KB, 300x295px) Image search: [Google]
1367648429158.jpg
16KB, 300x295px
>>3913975
Still kinda pisses me off that people MY OWN AGE didn't remember the original Digimon toy.
>>
I'm surprised similar things don't exist anymore, especially in the waifu age. if there was a program where you could feed your waifu and have her do a variety of things like waking you up in the morning, id buy it
>>
>>3905870
Kek

Via Aquamail
>>
does anyone speedrun this
>>
>>3914091
>>>/v/
>>
>>3914091
I did back in the day but we thought the objective was to get the rocket ship thing to happen since all our Tamas were stolen from Walmart and none of the shoplifters ever stole the instructions.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.