[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just found about a "new" 3DO emulator made by some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

I just found about a "new" 3DO emulator made by some russian, that has 100% compatibility with the entire 3DO library, but I just don't know what exclusives to play as most of the games I know in this system are multiplat anyway. So /vr/, what are the games I MUST play in this system ?
>>
File: Slayer.jpg (134KB, 640x1222px) Image search: [Google]
Slayer.jpg
134KB, 640x1222px
All the must-play games did in fact get ported. My favorite is definitely Slayer. Doctor Hauser is a decent AitD clone. Lucienne's Quest is a JRPG that's pretty formulaic but has a very 3DO aesthetic you might enjoy. There are quite a few exclusive primitive FPSs most people like Killing Time but I like Monster Manor best unless you count Slayer as an FPS.
>>
>>3905732
Slayer looks like a dungeon crawler in first person to me
>>
>>3905721

Super SF2 Turbo. Loading times make it a joke today but back then it was as close to arcade-perfect as it got.

Also really good ports of movie games like Dragon's Layer, Myst, etc.
>>
>>3905732
>>3905738
I'm checking them all as I post, dear god, this emulator is really good (first time using it, and all the games are working 100%)
>>
>>3905748

It was a neat piece of hardware back in the day. For the full effect play the Bruce Lee snes game, then play SF2T on 3DO. I remember those being contemporaries at the time.
>>
Besides what
>>3905732
and
>>3905738
said, you should also try Iron Angel of the Apocalypse Returns, Grand Chef RPG, Scramble Cobra and Powers Kingdom
>>
>>3905748
You wanna link that shit and share with the class?
>>
>>3905736
I'd probably call it an ARPG but it's pretty short. Like Virtual Hydlide, which is another game I like that nearly everyone hates.
>>
>>3905721

We sold this machine at a store I worked. I played the hell out of the very first R&T Need For Speed game. Obscure start to a classic franchise.
>>
>>3905831
Sorry anon, it's the Phoenix emulator http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/3DO_emulators
It's in russian, but the link above has an english translation. You can download the bios from Emuparadise (and the games too).
>>
Mostly posting just to bump the thread. I've always been fascinated by the 3DO but never found a reason to own one. If it has 6 or 7 good exclusives or even definitive versions I'd maybe be able to justify investing in one.
>>
>>3905901
From the games listed here until now, I think it's already valid to invest (for the exclusives and historical value)
>>
>>3905901
look on theisozone (which has the whole 3DO library) and try each game you might be interested in on 4DO
>>
>>3905960
How is the sound emulation on 4DO ? The Phoenix sound emulation is 100% like the original hardware without problems (yeap, seems too good to be true, but it is)
>>
>>3906380
Can't remember it being bad, 3DO emulation is very great from what I do remember
>>
>>3906469
Good to know that I have more than one option
>>
File: THE MILKIN PAIL IS LEAKIN.jpg (30KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
THE MILKIN PAIL IS LEAKIN.jpg
30KB, 800x600px
Owning a 3DO, my favorite games

~that were ported but are still good on the 3DO:

-Star Blade
(I think the PS1 version is the best port/remake, but this is still a cross-hair rails FMV shooter)
-Novastorm
(I think the 3DO version is the best of this particular rail shooter)
-Shockwave
(very fun EA arcadey flight-combat game; it reminds me of a first-person Desert Strike in a way)
-Dragon Lore
(as one anon aptly put it, it's sort of like a creepy early 90s CGI Skyrim pic related. Well done conversion of the point-n-click)
-Strahl
(it's the FMV quick-time type of game, but it's a fun and easy one. The 3DO has the best video-quality outside of the laserdisc release itself)

~best exclusives not released on other systems
-Scramble Cobra
A well-done Shockwave-style game. Missions are nice and focused, and there are several control options to take advantage of.

-Burning Soldier
A game that is a "crosshairs on the screen while you shoot FMV bad guys" has no right being as fun as this. It is a blast! Small grunts are sprites, but the big bosses are FMV. I think what helps the game, despite its simplicity, is the over all package: lots of enemy variety, you constantly cycle through new levels, you have some seriously bitchin' music, and the announcer/narrator is constantly yelling over-dramatic shit to you like shouting IT'S DISGUSTING when you are just going through a normal-looking cave, or solemnly declaring that PEACE WILL NEVER RETURN UNLESS THE KAIZERTIANS ARE BEATEN OFF - being one of the earliest examples of a game promoting masturbation as a means of conflict resolution that I can think of.

[cont]
>>
>>3906914

Disregard this, get Shockwave 2 instead of 1, it is vastly improved in every way. Better controls, better graphics, less monotonous missions, etc.
>>
>>3906914

-Immercenary

A very ambitious and flawed game. Its non-linear open world is impressive for its time and hardware. The game runs slow and janky on hardware, but software ups the processor speed making for a smoother experience. The controls are frustrating and the game more or less expects you to die multiple times at first as you slowly discover how to survive and cutscenes reveal more of how the game world operates. Once you have a few levels and are comfortable with its awkward tank controls (a la GunGriffon), you might have some fun. But this is a definite "try it out first" game, because you just as well might think it's shit.

-Iron Angel of the Apocalypse 2
The first Iron Angel was an all-polygonal FPS that ran about about 6 FPS, but the sequel wisely decides to render enemies as sprites instead, which vastly improves the framerate and experience. While not amazing, it has nice variety in its large, maze-like levels and has a novelty of being a Japanese-developed FPS.

==

I have a few more games that I either haven't spent enough time with (a CD-r of Lucienne's Quest, Slayer), are ok/good but not really great (Pyramid Intruder [ok], Killing Time [good?]*, and Power Kingdom [ok])...

or are kinda bad and not rec-worthy, unless you really want to explore the world of cheap awful FMV, like

Psychic Detective (amusing, but confusing and you'll almost always get a bad ending),

Daedalus Encounter (the puzzles are absolute horseshit. All ten of them. There are only 11 parts of the games where you actually do something),

or Creature Shock (I actually imagine if you could play this through emulation with a simulated 3DO mouse it would be not bad - good luck trying to hit tiny pixel hitboxes while moving a clumsy cross-hair around with a controller)

Basically, the console is almost sort of built for FMV, so if you really want to explore the 3DO you should at least emulate some these hot, uh, "interactive movies", despite many of them being shit.
>>
>>3906931

Forgot to mention:

*the level design of Killing Time is sloppy and haphazard that I'm not sure it's quite the gem folks have claimed it is. I haven't gotten too far in the game, but I did have to set the difficulty to Easy because the game is fond of setting up huge rooms filled with dozens of enemies all shooting you and whittling down your health in seconds. Combined with janky framerate and controls, it makes for a frustrating experience. The entrance to the sewers in particular was what broke me (people who played KT would know).
>>
>>3906932
The framerate is somewhat fixed with the emulator (not for all games, lot's of them have the in-game speed/animations tied to framerate, so we have a harder time controlling). But yeap, Doom was unplayable to me (even with higher framerates).
>>
>>3905721
AITD, Quarantine, NFS, Road Rash, OW Interceptor, Slayer, Lucienne's, dragons lair, SSF2T, Return Fire, Fifa
>>
>>3905738
>close to arcade perfect
I think you meant to say the only home option to play super turbo. The 3do version is broken trash that is missing tons of animation and actually plays different. SSF2 on genesis is a better option for close to arcade perfect. 3do fanbois have been pushing this meme as a must play for 20 years
>>
>>3907509
I've removed every multiplat from my "must play" list (but I'm checking the entire game library anyway), playing Doom was too much for me.
>>
>>3907590
Don't take a game that was ported TO 3DO as exemplary of gameplay on titles that were ported FROM 3DO although most of the PC versions are as good or better, especially considering their patchability.

>>3905807
>Grand Chef RPG
Thanks for reminding me this exists I had completely forgotten about it
>>
>>3906931
>Basically, the console is almost sort of built for FMV,

Which console had the best FMV quality of the 5th gen?

PSX
3DO
PC-FX
>>
>>3907653
PSX
>>
There's literally no reason to play 3DO unless you had one at the time and are nostalgic for it. It's pure shit.
>>
>>3907751
I never had a 3DO and some of the games are kind of interesting. It's not pure shit, it's part of the history of video games anon
>>
>>3907762
He just has it in the same file as Jag and CD-i
>>
File: prince-1999.jpg (69KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
prince-1999.jpg
69KB, 650x400px
>>3907751
>gex
>quarantine
>return fire
>daedelous encounter
>D
>star control II
>>
Plumbers don't wear ties
>>
3do is such a neat looking machine.
Only ever played one in a Toys R Us in the early 90s
>>
>>3907678
And which console had 2nd best FMV quality in the 5th gen if PSX was 1st?

3DO
PC-FX
>>
>>3908663
I'm not sure but it's probably
Saturn>3DO=PC-FX
>>
File: Way_of_the_Warrior_cover.png (170KB, 256x497px) Image search: [Google]
Way_of_the_Warrior_cover.png
170KB, 256x497px
Way of the Warrior is a wonderful example of things to not do in a fighting game; but goddamn did I love playing it at my friends house because of the White Zombie soundtrack. CD-audio was an amazing thing when this came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oantDTxiLG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oantDTxiLG4

NINETENN SIIXXTY FIIIIIIIVVE YEAHH
>>
>>3909103
Game looks so terrible... but sounds so amazing (same thing as Doom for 3DO). WHY ?!
>>
>>3905721
The music from the doom port is worth checking out.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.