[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've played through Earthbound and Chrono Trigger and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: mrpg.jpg (60KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
mrpg.jpg
60KB, 640x443px
I've played through Earthbound and Chrono Trigger and I loved them, is Mario RPG next best rpg on snes? Is it better than Earthbound or Chrono Trigger? Let me know niggaz
>>
None of those even play the same.
>>
>>3904812
This game isn't really comparable to those desu, outside of "is an RPG", but I would say that the game has more to it than Earthbound, but the story in Chrono Trigger combined with decent mechanics probably puts it a bit ahead of SMRPG, however SMRPG has the best combat system of them all by far.
>>
>>3904819
yeah I know, just talking about classic snes rpgs
>>
>>3904823
No way. SMRPG's combat system is crap compared to Chrono Triggers. It's not even good compared to other SNES RPGs.

>>3904812
Unless you're a big fan of Mario, I'd say avoid it. The combat is tedious, and the story is cute, but predictable and cliche. Try these other really good SNES RPGs:

-Secret of Mana
-Secret of Evermore
-Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Terranigma
-Final Fantasy VI
-Dragon Quest (Warrior) V & VI
-Tales of Phantasia
-Live a Live
-Breath of Fire
-The 7th Saga
-Ys
-Romancing Saga
>>
>>3904893
thanks bruh
>>
>>3904897
Treasure Hunter G
Treasure of the Rudras
Breath of Fire 1 and 2
Seiken Denestsu 3
Lagoon
Star Ocean
>>
>>3904893
SMRG is better than all of those sans DQV, Tales of Phantasia, Live a Live and Romancing SaGa 2/3
>>
Play SMRPG its good
>>
Combat system is really good and the story is funny, but the hokey Mario universe is just not compelling. Skip it if good worldbuilding in RPGs is important to you.
>>
SMRPG is great, one of my favorite SNES games.
>>3904893
>>3904909
Add Lufia II to these lists.
>>
SMRPG is noticeably better than Earthbound, and this is coming from a rather fervent Earthbound fan.
>>
Here you go. Awesome site with a bunch of reviews for snes rpgs

http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/snesbs-x.html

Youre welcome
>>
Super Mario RPG I would argue is the best RPG ever made.

It hit the ground running, exp vs enemy placement is perfect, the story is genuinely fun, the characters are unique, and all the major bosses have a different gimmick to make them inserting and challenging.
>>
SMRPG is definitely better than earthbound
one of the better rpg battle systems and maybe the best one on the SNES
>>
>>3905208
>SMT Nocturne stares at you from the pits of apocalyptic Tokyo-hell
SMRPG is a good game sure, but don't overstate your case.

It strikes me as an RPG for people who normally don't like RPGs, kind of like how Disgaea is an SRPG for people who normally don't like SRPGs.
>>
>>3904812
>I've played through Earthbound and Chrono Trigger and I loved them, is Mario RPG next best rpg on snes?
Is this some kind of arcane fanboy-summoning ritual?
>>
>>3904812
All 3 are essential SNES games. How much you like them is for you to decide.
>>
>>3904812
The game is ok. Overly simplistic. Not bad by any stretch, but I would not say it's the best on the system by a long shot doe.
>Geno, and Mallo are gone for ever
Thx square fags
>>
Not only is it one of the best RPGs, it is one of the best Mario games as well.
>>
The game did get me into the RPG genre, the first time I played it I had no fucking clue what I was doing but it quickly grew on me and I loved it!
>>
>>3906239
>Mallow is gone

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>3905930
This guy gets it, all three are good and worth playing.

Also play metal max returns, very underrated jrpg on the system. Playing it again recently now on a console via flash cart and its even better then I remembered. Please play it.
>>
>>3904812
FF6 is the one you should play next. Mario RPG is ok but it's not brilliant.

Pro-tip: The secret of mana/seiken densetsu games aren't very good. They have brilliant graphics and sound and are multiplayer compatible though.... That's the only reason people keep recommending them. In fact their gameplay is mediocre and the writing is terrible.
>>
>>3907349
I forgot to mention Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are also crap so ignore them.
Check out Lufia 2, the Quintet games, and probably Live a Live.
>>
It really depends on what you want.

Earthbound is pretty generic RPG, the big twist is rolling health. It doesn't really do much, it just means before you die you have time to health. Nothing amazing. Oh and avoidable enemies but they're not really that avoidable.

Chrono Trigger has enemy location during battle. Early it's a big deal but by the end it's negliable because all attacks hit all enemies. Enemies are more cutscenes-y and can be avoidable.

Lufia II is very generic RPG, only real difference is basically Rage Points which mean every time you get hit/attack you get points to attack abilities on items. Basically Final Fantasy but you need points to use item. Also it has a Rogue-like dungeon if that's your bag.

Super Mario RPG is definitely the most interactive, in and out of battle. You can avoid enemies, and in battle you have to TIMED HITS, which makes battle much more interesting.

A natural progression of this is Paper Mario, which I love because it cuts a lot of crap and instead of having attacks do 13153 damage, they do like 4 (which is A LOT within that game), and from there Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga which is probably one of the best, and my favourite RPGs.
>>
>>3904812
Yes. It's a great fucking game. It's short comparatively so just play it, it's great fun.
>>
>>3904893
Not saying those are bad, but saying OP should try those instead of SMRPG is next level hipster shit. SMRPG is at least as good as any of those. Plus, recommending SNES Ys and all that. You're basically a retard.
Also, OP enjoyed CT and Earthbound so SMRPG is DEFINITELY the most obvious follow up.
>>
>>3904919
Tales of phantasia outside the random battle ratio is superb , arguably best snes rpg by far, ay least is muy n° 1
>>
>>3905374

What can I say the heart wants what it wants.

I am just saying, I would argue Mario RPG is the best RPG ever. I understand there are so many RPGs most people will disagree with me and that's cool. But for me, Mario RPG is simply the best.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.