[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy a pre-5th gen system since my collection only contains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: 640px-PC-Engine-Console-Set.jpg (16KB, 640x284px) Image search: [Google]
640px-PC-Engine-Console-Set.jpg
16KB, 640x284px
I want to buy a pre-5th gen system since my collection only contains n64, dreamcast, and psx games. which one is a relatively cheap system right now that has a good library?
I'm interested in the tg16 but I don't know much about it. some suggestions would be great
>>
>>3904776
>TG-16
That'll put a dent in your wallet.
>>
Atari 2600 if you wanna do it on the REAL cheap.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (84KB, 486x303px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
84KB, 486x303px
Depends on what kind of games or what companies you like. PC Engine is probably a better investment than TG-16, has a bigger library and the games tend to be cheaper, but not inexpensive, especially if you have to have your games complete. Honestly NES is still a decent choice because the majority of the games are still relatively cheap if you're not going for the super in-demand titles.
>>
>>3904801

Turbo Duo would give you the largest library. All CD games have no region coding (and can all be burned from easily available files online), it plays all TG-16 cards out of the box, and plays all PC-Engine HU cards with an adapter sleeve. The PC Engine won't play TG 16 games unless it's been hacked somehow.

Sadly, all Turbo Duos need re-capping, and re-capped fully tested ones generally fetch $700 on eBay.

Just get a Genesis clone. There are lots of cheap hardware-identical units out there (everything in a Genesis was off-the-shelf).
>>
>>3904836

Sorry, that last sentence was for OP.
>>
Genesis. Picked one up from my local shop the other day for $20, games ran like $8 and under.
>>
recapped pc engine duo is only like 200-250 bucks it hasnt really gone up in price since i bought mine 3 years ago
>>
>>3904776
Get either a genesis or an nes, but the snes isn't a bad price and it would be the best option. You mentioned cost but really there isn't much that can't be found cheap although the genesis will go further for less.
>>
>>3904776
the turbo is cool as fuck but get a genesis, easier to get into and it's just as badass
>>
>>3904776
If you have to pick only one get a Genesis or Jap MD. The console and flash cart are cheap enough and the library is decent. Or if you can go without weed for a few weeks get them all.
>>
>>3905163
If you want to go as cheap as possible... Are the chinese md flashcarts reliable?
>>
>>3905167
It's a gamble, as with all the Chinese flashcarts, but there's a fifty dollar Everdrive now that's likely a better option.

A Genesis 1 can still be picked up for dirt cheap, so even though the games are rising in price, it's still a comparatively cheap option for new collectors.
>>
Turbo is anything but cheap my man. Probably game for game the most expensive US release 16-bit console.
>>
I'll also agree on Genesis or NES.
I have a PC Engine with super CD ROM. I play it....never.
>>
>>3904776
Genesis,32X,Everdrive X3,6 button controller

Bam you have everything for SMS, GEN and 32X exept GEN virtua racing which is cheap and the 32x version is better anyways.

get a better everdrive if you plan on getting a sega cd.
>>
>>3904783
If you want games that are cheeeeeap this is the best answer.
>>
It's 5th gen but buy a saturn. One of the best library's of the pax era and the import library is diet cheap.
>>
>>3905395
Unless you like blast n dodge em's. Those are hella expensive
>>
>>3905508
Don't you mean spacy racy knock em down tracy's?
>>
>>3905351
>cheap system
>"lol buy an everdrive"

I think you missed the point, dude.
>>
>>3905167
I have a EDMD I got off aliexpress for a bit under $40 and it works great. Came with an 8G SD with ROMs and BIOSs.
>>
>>3904836
>everything in a Genesis was off-the-shelf
If thats true, then can you point me as to where I can find replacement 315-5308's, 315-5309's, 315-5313's, and 315-5345's? I've got a few busted Genesis's laying around that have these components bad, and short of cannibalizing other Genesis units I don't know where to source these. Perhaps you can tell me where?

In all seriousness aside, the Atari 2600 is the only console I can think of that actually was off the shelf parts. Everyone else had some proprietary chip in there somewhere, including the Genesis.

As for OP's question, Genesis or NES if you can find an NES cheap are your two best bets. NES has lots of great titles that are still cheap, and most of the Genesis titles are cheap.
>>
>>3906181
>i don't know what's in a 2600
cool story
>>
File: 1490506077224.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1490506077224.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>>3904776
I got a similar question, I want to get a Turbo EverDrive and a PC Engine. What's the best model of PC Engine? Not too interested in a cd model, but the best PC Engine for a newbie connecting it to their crt.
>>
>>3905359
>>3904783
Where do you guys live where 2600 games are cheap? They're at least as expensive as NES games here on average.
>>
File: pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg (767KB, 1000x644px) Image search: [Google]
pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg
767KB, 1000x644px
>>3906884
Coregrafx, basic PC Engine model with AV out.
>>
>>3905706
mega ed x3 is $50
a genesis is less than that
buy virtua racing for $15 if you want(id invest in a 32x)
you have 2 complete console libraries
(SMS, GEN) for under 3 digits

Son, that is cheap. you can always emulate on whatever you're shitposting on for free.
>>
>>3907134
Thanks, what's a good price for one of these? Is a 6 button controller needed? Also, how do I connect a 2nd controller?
>>
>>3907134
Another question, I'm in the US. Is the Japanese ac adapter safe to use here or is there a different one that's safe to use?
>>
>>3907170
got mine last year for 70€ also the seller gave me salamander, one controller and a tennokoe 2 (ideal for doing the RGB mod).

You need a multitap adapter to connect more than one controller.
>>
>>3904836
This is exactly why you get a PC Engine Duo-R

>no caps needed
>barely any hucards need to be played in english
>>
>>3907170
Only get the 6 button controller if you want to play fighting games.

get the 3 button controller. You can toggle either Run or Select to the 3rd button and it works quite well.

The 6 button controller unfortunately does not support 3 button controls
>>
>>3907173
Just buy a generic universal power brick, that's what I did for my two pce.

I use one universal (9v, 1amp and center negative) for my coregrafx, if you have a genesis 1 you can use it's power brick too.
>>
>>3907170
>Is a 6 button controller needed?
Quite a few late releases supported it (like Linda3 and Emerald Dragon), but it's really only mandatory for fighting games like SF2CE and all those Neo-Geo ports that required the Arcade Card.

>Also, how do I connect a 2nd controller?
A multitap or similar device.
>>
>>3904776
Pc Engine CoreGrafx can be had for about $100.
Pair it with a Turbo Everdrive and you get the entire PC Engine/TG16 library.

If you decide to, you can later get a Super CD-ROM2 attachment for about $150.

Super CD-Rom2 is better than the Turbo Duo, as all of its parts can be bought from china brand new (if the laser assembly dies, it uses the same one as the Sega CD Model 2, and new ones are available online for $15)

It may need a cap replacement, though.
>>
>>3907173
If you have a model 1 genesis the core grafx uses the same A/C adapter and the same composite cables. If you have those already then you can just buy a bare unit and a controller, that usually runs much cheaper than one with everything. And even if you don't have those cables they're super cheap.
>>
File: coregrafx2.jpg (33KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
coregrafx2.jpg
33KB, 360x270px
Thanks for all the help, but any particular reason why the core grafx 2 isn't recommended?
>>
>>3908796
Same thing, I just personally think the orange logo is ugly.
>>
>>3908796
The whole reason they made the core grafx 2 was so it would look good with the super CD-ROM2. Functionally its the same as the core grafx but it reverted a couple of minor changes that the core grafx made to the audio hardware if I remember right.
>>
>>3908149
>about $100
Sounds like it might be time to consider listing some of my ¥500 flea market finds

>>3908796
No. And it's probably easier to find
>>
>>3908796
It's just a CoreGrafx with different colors, isn't it?

>>3908840
They should've just made the Super CD-ROM2 match the colors of the CoreGrafx rather than the other way around. Then again, NEC were primarily a PC manufacturer, so it makes sense they made so many console variations of the PCE.
>>
>>3906147
I don't think they've sold those for some time on that site. Please correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>3909205
>should've just made the Super CD-ROM2 match the colors of the CoreGrafx
Totally agree, but for whatever reason they just kept releasing revisions of the hardware. The PC Engine shuttle is another one that made no changes to functionality, except replacing the expansion port with one that (for whatever reason) didn't support the Super CD-ROM2. At least it looks cool I guess? I would have loved to sit in on that design meeting.
>so it's another PCE variant?
>yes, without the CD support
>does it add anything new?
>no
>then why?
>it looks like a spaceship lol
>...Yamaguchi, you're promoted.
>>
>>3909282
K. You're wrong

>>3909307
kek
>>
So I've been reading about PC Engine and saving. Does the console have a battery that holds your saves? I'm planning on getting a Core Grafx 1 or 2 and EverDrive.
>>
>>3910386
The duo has internal saves but they don't last super long unless you keep the console plugged in constantly. From what I understand it actually draws a tiny trickle to keep the saves alive.

For the coregrafx there's the tennokoe memory bank that is powered by AA batteries and fits on the back in the expansion slot.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.