[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been thinking of buckling down and going through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: rudras.png (50KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
rudras.png
50KB, 512x448px
So I've been thinking of buckling down and going through every single decent classic console RPG I never played or finished, particularly of the SNES and PS1 variety, a thing I've been meaning to do for quite some time. But I think one of the reasons I've been putting it off is.. I really want to like, share the experiences, have people to talk to about it as I go through, y'know? That's so much of what made growing up playing RPGs so much fun, both with geeky real-life friends who've long-since gone separate ways and the earlier days of the late-90s-early-00s internet that seems to have gone by the wayside.

Is there still anywhere where people'd give a shit about talking about that kind of thing? Any oldschool forums, or irc or even discord chats, or anything like that? Or maybe I should just make threads here about them as I go through them?
>>
As long as your threads are accessible and not just "check out my screenshots and witty quips," I don't see a problem with making threads on here.
>>
Make threads here to discuss the game you're playing, but only if the topic is worth discussion and you can be patient with the super slow pace of the board.

If what you really want is good discussions, start by playing any of the RPGs you may have missed that already regularly have their own threads (DQ, FF, SMT, SaGa, etc.) Those threads tend to ha EA good discussion if you lurk enough to know what's shitposting
>>
I'd be into doing a group play-along for an RPG, sort of like what other boards do with books, albums, movies, etc. What games did you have in mind?
>>
>>3902231
I would be behind this, and we've talked about it in other threads before. It would just need a long startup so we get people for a thread.
>>
>>3902220
Nah, I'd be more like talking about the plot, characters, music, interesting game mechanics and notable parts of the game, etc. I guess you could say i'd love to discuss them almost like a book club, which leads me to...

>>3902231
>>3902242
Well, aside from pic related (Treasure of the Rudas) there was all the big Japan-only Super Famicom games like Treasure Hunter G, Chaos Seed, Energy Breaker, Star Ocean, Terranigma, Live-a-Live, Front Mission and Tactics Ogre. I have played SD3, FF5 and Tales of Phantasia, I might add the SMT games. I'd like to play Dragon Quest 5 and 6 sometime too but I sorta wanna go (back) through that whole series on its own probably some time after DQ11 is out.

As for PS1, the only stuff I ever finished was FF7-9, FFT, the SaGa Frontiers, Breath of Fire 3 and Star Ocean 2, so there's gotta be at least a couple dozen huge games there. And some stuff on other systems I'd like to finally play too like the Phantasy Stars and Shining Forces.

Yeah, this is a project I'd expect to take at least a couple years to complete. Those are the ones that've been burning my backlog for the longest, though.
>>
I'm interested, just bought a flashcart for this purpose basically. I missed a lot of SNES games, so I'll be doing a lot of the more mainstream ones. I have played SMT1, DQ5 and Terranigma but will probably be doing so again soon. I just love jrpgs and /vg/ had the shittiest general of all time for em.

Love that you even put the idea forth that someone here might still be on IRC. I wonder if /m/ still has one.
>>
>>3902217
>I really want to like, share the experiences, have people to talk to about it as I go through, y'know?
Do you have any friends in real life? It's not that hard to get people into retro gaming. Just invite someone over and get them to do some multiplayer with you. They might warm up to the idea of hanging around while you alternate turns playing single-player games like RPGs.

>Any oldschool forums, or irc or even discord chats, or anything like that?
They're filled with autists and sperglords. It seems everyone I've ever tried to befriend in the retro gaming community is a far-right conspiracy shit. I guess that's more of an Internet phenomenon though. Thankfully, I never knew any of these individuals in person.
>>
>>3902228
>posting in generals

Too much autism. Most people just keep generals filtered.

And it's doubtful OP is going to be able to usurp a general into his personal Let's Play.
>>
>>3902620
The DQ general is basically a bunch of guys discussing the DQ games as they play them in order while they wait for DQXI, which is basically what OP is looking for. Most people are somewhere between V and IX have really good discussion comparing the games.
>>
>>3902217
I think it would be fun to have a group of people play through the same game at the same time and discuss their experience. I would only participate if the playthrough happens to suit my schedule and I wouldn't bother playing just any "decent" game; I try to avoid "decent" games and only play the best. I figure most people are like me, and there aren't that many people here, so you would be unlikely to gather such a group. But good luck nonetheless.
>>
>>3902615
ill be your friend~~
>>
>>3902803
You might wanna lay off the super male vitality a bit there, dude.
>>
>>3902959
NO
>>
>>3902217
My advice is start as soon as possible, create an easy to read thread template so other people can start threads and try to emphasis using spoiler tags to prevent dicking over people who are behind you. When you finish a game, give it maybe a week for discussion to run its course\let other people finish it and then move onto another game.

If you do that then you'd create a system that's independent of you and has a chance of not dying next week. If you spend too long finding the perfect game or waiting for 100 people to sign their name somewhere then it'll either never start or people will forget about it.

Goodluck OP, I used to make all those Langrisser threads and I miss the in-depth discussion we had when we were playing it for the first time.
>>
>>3903516
Damn, I missed langrisser threads? Did you play through the whole series?
>>
>>3902887

No, it's full of autists posting moe and circlejerking over their Dragon Quest waifus. The SaGa general is more of the same.

Also, neither thread can keep the context retro.
>>
>>3903776
I played every path of Der and Langrisser IV. Other Anons played through III and V with scripts and were talking about it. This was a few years back.

Many of us hadn't played them and I had fun discussing what we thought would happen and what characters would leave, etc. To my surprise nobody needed to be reminded to use spoiler tags and everyone was polite. It was the best of /vr/. I'm sure the same could be done with random series like Wild Arms and Star Ocean.
>>
>>3902620
>>3903814
It's you again, lying as usual.
Why don't you get off of this website if you hate discussion so much you have to constantly lie about what people do in other threads?
>>
>>3903854
Too bad I missed it. If you can find a link to the threads in the archive please let me know.

Langrisser is one of my favourite series but I never can find people to discus it with. There's a lot I'd like to find out, such as optimal promotion paths, character creation, tactics for individual maps, challenge runs, story, etc.
>>
>>3902217
This is what i'm doing right now. Do you count srpg's too?

I don't think you will find any worth discussion around here. For starters, because /vr/ is exhausted of discussions already. There are so many worth retro games to discuss and not enough anons. And second, what people here like to discuss is about their childhood memories. Any kind of discussion will feel artificial, you are not bringing anything new to the table at this point of history.
>>
>>3902217
Somebody is doing it on twitch. username landail
>>
>>3904047
I can't speak for everyone but I've been playing rpgs my entire life and I still haven't played them all, there are even entire series I haven't tried like Phantasy Star and Suikoden which people swear by and sound fun.

Playing through them alongside other Anons who are also trying it for the first time would be a great way to create unique and new discussions. I appreciate that I can go into any DQ thread and be fully prepared for any difficult boss or confusing puzzle in a game, but it would also be fun to get stuck on the same bits with other people.

I don't even think everyone needs to play the same game. If 5 people start Wild Arms 1 together and 5 people start Final Fantasy 5 then the thread will always be alive and everyone will have something to contribute.
>>
>>3904023
>/vr/ is one person
>>
>>3902615
>It's not that hard to get people into retro gaming

Can we trade friends? Please?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.