[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I find myself jumping back and forth between admiring and enjoying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: daggerfall_logo_172pa.jpg (54KB, 540x352px) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall_logo_172pa.jpg
54KB, 540x352px
I find myself jumping back and forth between admiring and enjoying this game to outright hating it for being completely broken. What're your thoughts on what might simultaneously be the Best and Worst Elder Scrolls title?
>>
>>3902215

Hi, I recently started playing this. I agree that it is an intriguing nightmare. I have yet to finish even a single dungeon. I keep wondering, as I play it, how in the world anyone could ever have accepted it at the time. It's cool in various ways (probably including many that I have yet to experience), but it just seems to hate being played.

And like how hard would it have been to find a person with a better voice to do the "VENGEANCE" thing.
>>
>>3902230

--I mean my frickin dad could do it better, probably a lot of people's dads could. Did the development team just not have dads? Maybe that was the fundamental problem undermining this game.
>>
>>3902230
>I have yet to finish even a single dungeon
Not even the tutorial dungeon?
>>
>>3902215

You could give King's Field a try. It's remotely Elder Scrolls-ish. You don't get to customize your character, but the level up system is much the same deal.

I'm not sure if I would begin with the first KF released in Japan though. It might be too dated even for someone who's accustomed to DOS gaming.
>>
>>3902630

Oh right I did finish that one. It was really rough but I saved and loaded a hundred times and eventually got through it.

Now I'm in my first proper dungeon and I've explored pretty much the whole thing, but there's some switch or something that I need to find and you know, it's Daggerfall and I'm not fully used to it yet, so it's taking forever. My character can survive fine now but wow even a tiny dungeon is pretty big in this game. And the map is barely usable and almost everything looks the same and it's hard to tell which few thingies in the dungeon aren't just decorations and actually do things.

I just don't understand what these people were thinking. I guess there's probably an article about it out there somewhere.
>>
File: 140495575790.jpg (327KB, 570x824px) Image search: [Google]
140495575790.jpg
327KB, 570x824px
The later titles' dungeons were such a letdown after these massive things. The worlds are quite pretty. But they require a lot of suspension of disbelief.

Played TES3 and TES4, I didn't bother to get skyrim because I was done with ten sq. mile game worlds, "cities" with 20 people, and no dungeons to speak of.
>>
>>3902215
Morrowind is the best one end of story.
>>
>>3902230
>>3902232

Not being a millenial babychild who requires copious amounts of handholding. Also, reading the manual helped.

Also, did you lob in not being able to finish a dungeon with something as minor as one line of voice acting heard only in 1 town at night time? Jesus Christ, no wonder the video game industry is sliding down the tubes into its well deserved grave.
>>
>>3903297

I apologize for having written a little bit facetiously on 4chan. I know this home of scholars and gentlemen isn't the place for it.

You're mixing up your age-related problems though. I'm old enough to be annoyed by tedious busywork and embarrassingly amateurish user interfaces, not young enough to require handholding. I've proven my stubbornness enough times that I don't feel the need to do it again at every opportunity, or the willingness to accept being punished, with a dose of heavy tedium, for my failure to immediately understand some poorly communicated system.

Honestly, I want this game to feel even more primitive. It's too new-feeling. It feels like they were trying to cram some of the essence of Doom or whatever into a type of engine that was working fine without it. Putting a realistically huge city into your game is not good, when the main effect of this is that the player is required to walk a very long way to get across it. Turning the old tile-based maps that these first-person dungeon games used to use into a more realistic 3D map isn't good, when the main effect of it is, again, to require a lot of long walks down nearly featureless hallways that are neither pretty nor interactive. This game reminds me too much of Ocarina of Time: It thinks that since it's 3D, it needs to make me spend a lot of time waiting, with my brain turned off, while my character slowly travels from one place to another.

Similarly, it thinks that since its engine is realistic enough to manage real-time combat, it needs to awkwardly mix RPG-ish dice rolls and crap with Doom-style kiting and sidestepping. But I'd rather have the pure old thing (a turn-based, dice-based system) than some clumsy combination of the old thing with a newer thing, no matter how cool these guys thought it might be to make their D&D thingy look like Doom.
>>
>>3903061
> ten sq. mile game worlds, "cities" with 20 people

That might be the saddest thing about the direction TES went, they started off peaking peoples imagination about what could one day be possible with video games only for that to be a distant memory as people are glued to their theme park graphic novels.
>>
>>3902215
The first two elder scrolls were absolute trash. Morrowind, oblivion, and even skyrim are far better than those two. Too bad they're not retro because they would be better to talk about on /vr/
>>
>>3903070

This is the real IQ-test. Ask which TES-game is the best, anyone answering Morrowing is above average, answering Elder scrolls is average IQ, Arena means insane or below average, anything equals retarded.
>>
File: elderscroll.jpg (251KB, 2050x750px) Image search: [Google]
elderscroll.jpg
251KB, 2050x750px
>>3903501
>>
>playing poor man's ripoff of an Ultima Underworld ripoff made by the makers of NES Home Alone
kill yourselves
>>
>>3903461
This
>>
>>3902230
HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT
>>
>>3903751
>he couldn't be bothered to cut off the xbox logo.
>>
>>3902215
Let's just say it made me realize the Elder Scrolls series would not get better after Arena.
>>
>>3905730
that's the point
consoles ruined the series
>>
>>3903404
Welcome to /vr/. I torture myself daily here in old school games I hate, yet know little else. Daggerfall in particular makes me miserable. The broken quests constantly didn't help, plus it taught me why I should hate DOSBox, which I use for every game I play. One day I may hopefully find what everyone else sees in these games, because I have over 200+ hours or so (completed the main quest) at the very least here without understanding the reason consider this game to be fun. Regardless, the point is to tolerate torture and horrible UIs, plus dislike all games that you don't play because they are made with realistic 3d graphics which you are unsure you will be able to get invested in. I mean, say I load up a modern game like Call of Duty, I just feel like I would have no idea what I am doing and feel alien in a place filled with things appealing to people that aren't me.
>>
I love it if im not trying to complete the main storyline.

Out of about a dozen times i restarted the game, ive only managed to do that first timed quest a couple of times.

This was all before fan patches and shit, so i dont know if they address the ease of running out of time.
>>
>>3905772
I loathe time limits. When I play a game, I play it to avoid the stress of real life, so why do we add the hustle and bustle (plus the curfew) to this game? Gotta be to work by 5, but when at home I end up trying to make it somewhere on time like I am rushing for work. It just isn't fun. I come for the immersive worlds, the challenge of difficult enemies, but not the stress of rushing through these pretty environments without being able to look at them. Unless it is Daggerfall, where there are no pretty environments and instead it is long mazes that make you regret ever entering them.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.