[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that the sega master system had no good or noteworthy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 8

File: sms.png (330KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sms.png
330KB, 1920x1080px
Why is it that the sega master system had no good or noteworthy games? Anyone can list a long list of well known and noteworthy NES games, but they probably wouldn't even know the SMS even existed.
>>
Master of Darkness
Golvelius
Power Strike 1 & 2
Shinobi
Alex Kidd
Castle of Illusion
Land of Illusion
Batman Returns
Aladdin
Fantasy Zone 1 & 2
Hokuto no Ken
Lord of the Sword
Psycho Fox
Sonic Chaos
Sonic 1 & 2
The Ninja
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy 3 The Dragon's Trap
Columns
Magical Puzzle Popils
Baku Baku Animal
>>
>>3894642
Ninja Gaiden (not an NES port)
>>
Phantasy Star
Outrun
Streets of Rage
Road Rash
>>
>>3894628
Just because you have a limited knowledge/experience of a platform does not mean others do.

Unless this was a bait thread because you want to lists of things to play on your emulator, in which case shame on you!
>>
Donald duck lucky dime caper is pretty cool.
>>
>>3894628
>Anyone can list a long list of well known and noteworthy NES games, but they probably wouldn't even know the SMS even existed.
In Brazil?
>>
>>3894628
Because they just don't know anything?

>>3894653
>Outrun
That port is trash. The hills are even worse than in the arcade, meanwhile Rad Racer is super smooth.
>>
>>3894628
Maybe you just have no taste
>>
>>3894694
and Europe
>>
>>3894852
There are plenty of retards here that think we played NES instead of SMS or C64. They'll also call the MD Genesis.
>>
>>3894647
>recommending that turd
I feel bad for Masterfags, they couldn't play a real Ninja Gaiden game.
>>
>>3894628
Because when one kid on the internet doesn't know about something it doesn't exist?
>>
>As of 2015, the Master System is the longest-lived game console (30 years and continuing), due to its popularity in Brazil

thank you huefags
>>
>>3894628
You're a retard.
>>
File: 1487971543038.jpg (71KB, 550x700px) Image search: [Google]
1487971543038.jpg
71KB, 550x700px
>not a single mention of Zillion yet
>>
>>3894910
I wish those crazy microcomputers like the C64 and Speccy had been as popular here in the States. They seem so cool and mysterious to me now~
>>
>>3894642
Add:

>Action Fighter
>Aerial Assault
>Ashura
>Astro Warrior
>Bomber Raid
>Buggy Run
>Comical Machine Gun Joe
>Dragon Crystal
>Enduro Racer
>Fire & Forget II
>Ghost House
>Kenseiden
>Kung Fu Kid
>TransBot
>World Grand Prix
>>
>>3894642
>Fantasy Zone 1
I disagree.
Fantasy Zone 1 on the Master was a terrible god damn port. I would not consider it good.
>>
>>3894910
>They'll also call the MD Genesis.

This is how you spot a brainwashed Nintendo fanboy in europe
>>
>>3895127
They still make officially licensed games for SMS in hueland? Why?
>>
>>3895768
But the C64 was popular in the States.
>>
>>3896872
Brazil is also where you can still buy a brand new Mega Drive.
>>
>>3894628
Because the NES was dominating like 90% of the market.
>>
>>3896889
Again, why?
>>
>>3896956
Because third world.
>>
>>3896876
It was more popular in Europe though, right? I really don't have any context since I was too young at the time.
>>
>>3897191
Yeah but it had a pretty decent chunk of the US market too. It just never failed to make any impact on the business market stateside, it was pretty much strictly a home machine. Then IBM PCs and compatibles started rolling out and that was pretty much the end for Commodore machines in America.
>>
>>3897443
Yeah, by the time I was old enough to know anything about computers it was IBM PCs everywhere.
>>
Why are Americans so retarded?
>>
>>3897586
They don't teach us how to read in school. They just make us salute during the national anthem and then we spend the rest of the day clapping.
>>
>>3896889
I don't think they still do the actual Model 1 and Model 2 MDs.
Maybe 10 years ago, maybe. Now I think they just sell versions of the MD3 and then emulator boxes.
>>
>>3897648

they released a new MD in Brazil with the original model 1 hardware around a year ago, with SD card support. Theyre still on sale. Not cheap though.

http://www.tectoy.com.br/pre-venda-mega-drive-edicao-limitada/p/995040461825
>>
>>3897586
>Why are people with different tastes from me so retarded?
Dunno. We could ask the same of you. Why don't you like all the good games on NES, SNES, and Gameboy?
>>
I get the SMS was huge in brazil and europe, but what about america? How big was it?
>>
>>3897904
Nobody really cared about the SMS here. This was Atari and NES territory.
>>
>>3897906
Was it because nintendo and atari was too big for sega to get noticed?
>>
>>3897912
Pretty much. It wasn't until the Genesis and its brilliant marketing that Sega caught on with us.
>>
>>3897809
Why is it that Nintendo consoles had no good or noteworthy games?
>>
>>3895851
Just curious, what is the problem with the port?
>>
>>3898080
Lying blatantly will get you nowhere, Australia-kun.
>>
>>3898109
I'm just turning around what OP said.
>>
When I saw an SMS for sale at the pawn shop, it was a sign it was time to get one. Nowadays it's not worth collecting for due to how frustratingly rare almost every title is. In person, I've ever only seen four titles for sale. Of those, I bought two out of desperation. Now part of that is because this area is notoriously picked clean by resellers for eBay,and the other part is because gaming simply didn't catch on in this part of the state until the Playstation era. Shit, I've seen more Saturn games than SMS games. The only major console I can think of that's rarer in person here is the damn Turbografx, of which I have also only ever seen one.

I eventually gave up and started making my Genesis flashcart pull double duty as a Master System player. The original Master System is a glorified icebreaker now. It's really pathetic, considering the library is fairly competitive when you allow for imports.
>>
>>3898160
Over here MS games are plentiful and cheap. I can only think of three overly expensive games.
>>
>>3894682
Wtf kinda jagged stick is stuck up ur ass?

Cunty fag noggler.
>>
>>3898164
One day I might resort to importing, if I can figure out a good fix for the 50hz to 60hz problem.
>>
>>3898183
What? You do know the games aren't stuck at 50hz, right? The machine outputs the frequency. Maybe you're too fucking stupid to be allowed to import.
>>
>>3898094
Curious about this myself because I own the Master System port and I haven't seen much to complain about.
>>
>>3897791
Probably just the same emulator in another case
>>
>>3898280

its legit model 1 hardware, One of the few that is. Neckbeard MD collectors got pretty excited about this one but the video output needs some modding apparently, not sure specifically why, the price put me off.

This video explains the whole sega history in brazil and is a damn good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NissGg3GMJM
>>
>>3894628
if you were around when the system was current you would know there was a similar amount of popular games compares to the nes. Do you think everyone was playing Mr gimmick or somethin.
>>
File: Segauitar.jpg (316KB, 1087x802px) Image search: [Google]
Segauitar.jpg
316KB, 1087x802px
>>3898456
I really want one of these.
Could I just plug it in to my Model 2 and load the roms with an Everdrive?
>>
>>3898541

you dont really need an everdrive since it has an SD slot as standard (cartridge slot is region free already too)

the 2 problems,

1, Brazil PAL standard is unusual & wont function correctly without modification anywhere else (including other pal regions).
2, Brazil voltage is also strange & although travel adapters are common for most places in the world getting one to convert this thing properly is difficult/non existant. So, a risky wiring mod is needed.

Pity, apart from that, this thing is a collectors wet dream, model 1 hardware including the original MS hardware & the FM unit from the sega mk3, region free, native SD card support.
>>
>>3898541

fuck just realized you meant the guitar hero megadrive in the video not the model one thing.

same problems as here though >>3898576

its entirely possible someone has dumped the brazillian roms. if you just want the controller, not sure how much cheaper it would be than getting the whole system pack.
>>
Why did the SMS sell so well in europe?
>>
>>3894628
Cultural bias towards the NES. Seriously. I assume you're american because if you were european you would know as many, or morre, memorable master system games.

The fact that americans dominate youtube and retro gaming sites in general contribute to this sort of historical revisionism, creating an echo chamber where the NES is made to be the number 1 console in the world full of timeless gems while other consoles from the same era were total obscure shit.

This is what people mean with the tired expression "history is made by the winners", when you have only one point of view being repeated over and over and over again people begin to forget about how stuff was actually like
>>
>>3898608
Reddit is another good example of this. The nintendo related subreddits have tons of active posts whereas anything Sega related never gets attention.
>>
>>3898606
Inexpensive for a console, brand recognition, distributor had more support. That's what differentiated it from the NES.
>>
>>3898616
Nintendo has always been the reddit of video game consoles, especially the nintendo 64.
>>
>>3898606

it didnt sell that great but it beat the NES to market in the u.k by a year which was an eternity in those days, Nintendo also left the promotion up to Mattel in the UK who did a terrible job (so bad Nintendo stepped in themselves later to take over marketing, which is why theres 2 different NES models in the UK). The U.K market was dominated by 8 bit microcomputers years before Nintendo (and sega) tried to get in to the market. The Amiga was already hugely popular by 1987 and both systems looked like things from the stone age compared.
>>
>>3898656
NES games were £50 in 1987. That was a joke and a half to begin with.
>>
>>3898656
Same thing in France. The Master System's price was a bit lower and both NES and SMS were released in the same time.
Can't say for the ads though.
>>
>>3895768

C64 and Amigas were pretty much everywhere, anon. The mythical euro computing golden age is just that.
>>
>>3895838
>>3894642
>Every SMS list is the same games over and over
This console is literally the N64 of the third generation.
>>
>>3898656

Sega/Ozisoft did really good marketing in NZ (and Australia) the only real competition at the time for home consoles was the atari 2600/5200/7800 which looked like garbage compared. There were spectrums, MSX's, Amstrads and C64's here but none were popular enough to flood the market in Australasia. The thing that really sold it was a $149 price compared to $999 for the cheapest amiga pack in the mid 80's. Arcade ports like shinobi & outrun running demos in department stores across nz sold the hell out of the mk1. When Nintendo launched the NES almost a year later at $100 more than the SMS (in 80's money which was ALOT) with a game that looked like a clone of the great gianna sisters on amiga/c64 which everyone had pirated by then it was far too late.
>>
>>3898681
The SC-3000 was also quite popular in AU's/NZ.
>>
>>3898686

indeed it was, i had one. Also strangely popular in NZ was the toshiba MSX.
>>
>>3898703
Which model did you have? I had the original with rubber keys.
>>
>>3898718

yup rubber keys. I dont think the mechanical key version made it to nz.
>>
>>3898703
I'm curious. Can you take a picture of the video output?
I bought one without cable thinking that it would be the same as the master system.
>>
>>3898794
The SC-3000? It uses the same 8 pin DIN port as the model 1 Mega Drive.
>>
>>3898094
shit colors and music mostly
>>
In europe nintendo was viewed as kiddy and it still is. Sega was able to tap into the european audience with more mature games till sony took over in the early 00s.
>>
>>3898827
Consoles never were that big here.
>>
>>3898816
Strange, SMS and MD1 have the same output but it doesn't fit in the sc-3000.
I don't think I was drunk last time I tried but now I'm doubting.
>>
>>3899201
Maybe you were trying the printer port rather than the video port.
>>
>>3894653
>Phantasy Star
Everyone acts like that was segas answer to final fantasy, is it really that good?
>>
>>3899669
It was better than Final Fantasy, but that's not really saying much.
>>
>>3899669
not really
>>
>>3899669

at the time it was definitely the best 8bit console rpg. On a technical level it was far ahead of anything on the NES.

but as >>3899671 said,
the first final fantasy isnt exactly the most beloved title in the series.
>>
>>3894727
>That port is trash. The hills are even worse than in the arcade
Fuck you. It's good for an 8-bit arcade port
>>
>>3899274
Absolutely sure it wasn't the printer port.
Well I'll try again when I go home and I'll see.
>>
SMS Ninja Gaiden is still my favorite Ninja Gaiden game of all time.
>>
>>3899671
>It was better than Final Fantasy, but that's not really saying much.
Explain
>>
>>3900884
The first Final Fantasy wasn't very good.
>>
>>3900915
I meant what was so great about the first phantasy star. While most say the genesis ones for 2-4 were better, a lot say the first one was pretty good.
>>
>>3900921
Advanced graphics for consoles at the time, good music. The gameplay is just typical JRPG trash and the translation is shite, but I don't think the original was literary gold.
>>
>>3898160
How expensive is the special converter for the genesis that lets you play SMS games on your sega genesis?
>>
>>3901702
Too much.
Just buy a master system.
>>
>>3901702
Bout tree fiddy.

Just get an everdrive.
>>
>>3898679
I disagree. The N64 had a ton of quality over quantity while the Master System kinda lacked either.
>>
>>3901719
N64 had little rpgs, generic sports games, a few shooters, and mostly platforms. All the good n64 games were either first party or third party with close relationship with nintendo like rare
>>
>>3900921
Very complex story by the standards of the time (which were very low)

Cool music

Really advanced graphics for the time (the dungeon-crawling sections are all first-person) with a lot more color than NES could handle.

A unique sci-fi/fantasy setting instead of the typical high-fantasy knights and dragons stuff.

Female protagonist, which was still a novelty

So mostly it was REALLY pretty and more unique than other games available at the time. It was also one of the first console RPGs to ever reach the west, so for a lot of people this was a brand new genre.
>>
>>3901702
For an original Sega converter? Like $60-80 depending on condition, but mostly on the higher side.

If you're gonna spend $70 you might as well get the Power Base Mini FM, which is a modern converter that also lets you play the FM soundtracks without having to buy a modded Master System. The non-FM version is $45, so it's the cheapest way to play Master System carts if you only own a Genesis. That's for fully assembled units from a distributer like StoneAgeGamer. You can buy the standard one (as a raw board with no plastic shell) for $20 if you go to the creator's site (db-electronics).

The modern converters can only play carts, not cards, but almost all of the card games are shit so thats ok.

...Or just buy an Everdrive and play every Master System and Genesis game on your Genesis and save a lot of money.
>>
>>3902048
>Female protagonist, which was still a novelty
why would this matter anyway
>>
>>3902098
It was uncommon to have female protagonists at the time, that's why samus being a girl was a huge plot twist.
>>
>>3902098
I can only jack off to shirtless dudes dual wielding machine guns so often.
>>
>>3902107
No, it wasn't uncommon in the slightest. You just don't know shit.
>>
>>3902112
In the 80s? In video games? Everyone was so surprised samus was a girl, they expected a man.
>>
>>3902114
Nope, stick to the decade you grew up in post 9/11er
>>
>>3902121
You're trying to avoid having to argue
>>
>>3902114
To be fair, that's because the manual calls Samus a dude. It was designed to be a twist.
>>
Imagine someone over 18 taking feminism literally.
>>
File: Mach Rider.jpg (73KB, 784x372px) Image search: [Google]
Mach Rider.jpg
73KB, 784x372px
>>3902114
To be honest, he is not wrong. There's a good number of japanese games with female protagonists. Baraduke (1985), War of the Dead (1987), Girl's Garden (1984), Aleste 2 (1989), Ninja Princess (1985), Mado Monogatari (1989), Walkure no Bōken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu (1986), etc.
>>
>>3902161
Don't tell him, he's a kotaku reading retard who is best mocked and ignored.
>>
>>3901702
The model 2 version is only $20-$30 usually.
>>3901719
I think it had more quality than any other 8 bit console.
>>
>>3902161
Female characters weren't completely unheard of in games (especially in Japan) but other than Ms. Pac-Man and (arguably) Metroid there weren't any mainstream hits with female leads yet. Most people wouldn't be familiar with more than one or two games with female leads (if they knew of any at all) which is why it was still noteworthy at the time. Despite all the whining in here this doesn't have any political significance, but it was unusual enough to be noteworthy and eye-catching.

Forget the gender thing though. That's a footnote in any article about this game. There weren't many characters, male or female, who had the kind of development that we saw in Phantasy Star. RPGs were beginning to push the boundaries for narrative in games in a big way, and were beginning to morph from oblique CRPGS into more accessible console RPGs. This is the really significant part of the game's legacy.

It's really important to remember that this is one of the very first console RPGs, and the very first JPRG to make it to America. Dragon Quest is widely agreed to be the first proper JRPG, but it came out after Phantasy Star in the US. Final Fantasy came out later in all territories. For most American gamers, they'd never seen anything like Phantasy Star before, and it would be years before other console RPGs would catch up.

This is the main reason it's remembered so fondly. It was a genre-defining release that (for western console gamers) seemed to invent a whole new kind of game. For those gamers, it would be several years before any other RPGs would be able to measure up.
>>
>>3902323
You think the SMS had more quality games than the NES, Atari consoles, or Game Boy?
>>
>>3902475
That's what I said.
>>
>>3902472
>muh mainstream
moving goalposts. fuck off, you just don't know what you're talking about and should lurk the fuck more or go back to neogaf.
>>
>>3902486
> i hate being wrong and also what is nuance

ok
>>
>>3902485
i'm gonna assume you're both european and insane
>>
>>3902492
>nuance
are you 14
>>
>>3902494
Why can't Americans ever understand differences in opinion? Is the cholesterol affecting your brain.
>>
>>3902507
master system definitely does not have as many interesting games, but it is a far more interesting system to me than the NES is at this point.
>>
>>3902507
Yes. Having access to good games in the 80s also gave me higher standards. That's the one that keeps me from agreeing with you.
>>
>>3902512
I disagree.
>>3902516
Why do you think your malformed opinion is fact?
>>
>>3902524
Cholesterol.
>>
>>3902524
What are some of your favorite Master System games? I get the impression that a lot of the best games never made it to the US.
>>
>>3902536
That's true. Games like Master of Darkness, Ninja Gaiden, Forgotten Worlds, RoboCop vs Terminator,Streets of Rage 2, Aladdin, Land of Illusion, Strider 2, Star Wars, Shadow of the Beast, Gauntlet, and Golden Axe Warrior.
>>
File: 1435275458786.png (279KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1435275458786.png
279KB, 500x500px
>>3894727
Who the fuck are you and why do you hate the sega master system did it murder you family anon the Outrun port on sms is solid for the 8 bit era
>>
>>3902161
Also Psychic World on SMS, don't know which year
>>
>>3902563
Streets of Rage 2? I always read that it's a bad game in comparison with the first one (on Master System of course)
>>
>>3903158
I liked it.
>>
>>3902161
Yes, all these games that were never released in the west are fantastic proof of your point.

>>3902194
And unless you happen to be both Japanese and in your forties, so are you, by your own logic. Going to bet that you're neither.
>>
>>3902161
Mach Rider is not a good example. The image on the right is just an unused file and nothing more; look at the hip to shoulder ratio of the left figure in comparison to the right (to say nothing of the left's clearly and decisively masculine torso).
>>
File: mastersystem-asterix-cover.jpg (699KB, 718x1028px) Image search: [Google]
mastersystem-asterix-cover.jpg
699KB, 718x1028px
Asterix on SMS is a really great game, arguably the best Asterix game, and was made by the same team that made Castle of Illusion.
>>
I wish more people talked about the SMS more often.
>>
darius 2 had an oddly good port for this system, music was pretty neat for PSG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjIFFdGsny0
>>
>>3904353
>The-they weren't released in the west s-so they don't exist!
Seriously, Nigga?

>>3904415
>Unused File
It's from Vs. Mach Rider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYmaLtm8_w
>>
>>3905414
>Expecting people to be familiar with games not released in their region
>>
>>3905463
if you're actually interested in games, then yes, you should be aware of and familiar with good games, even if they weren't released in your region.
>>
>>3905476
>No true scotsman
>>
>>3905485
it's not a logical fallacy to say that people who are interested in games should have the barest minimum knowledge of them.
>>
>>3905567
People throw no true scotsman around like crazy here and it's almost always used wrong.

A Scotsman can be president of the US, but no true Scotsman could.
>>
>>3905567
It's completely crazy to expect someone to know about games not release in their region.
>>
>>3905574
It would be crazy to expect a casual player to maybe, but someone into games very likely would. I certainly do and did, he did as well and we're far from unusual. It just depends how deep into gaming you are.
>>
>>3900391
Yes, it's a very good 8 bit port.
>>
>>3905574
Not in the internet age when you can easily do research.
>>
Sonic had a great transition to 8-bit, but the SMS versions were better than the GG versions.
>>
>>3894628
There were plenty. I played it as a kid... really depends on what you ended up hearing about first. The NES or the Master System. We got it because I had no idea about anything back then.

Thunderblade, Shinobi, Double Dragon, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Wonder Boy, Hang-On, etc... there were a LOT of great games on the system.
>>
>>3894628
SMS had the best port of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar ever made.

It's like 99% faithful to the original computer version, but all controls were handled via a menu system instead of cumbersome keyboard shortcuts.

It also had better graphics, music, and dungeons than the original.

SMS Ultima IV is the definitive version of the game.
>>
>>3902107
>It was uncommon to have female protagonists at the time
okay but why would it matter
>>
>>3908043

I disagree. I think the nes port is far and away the best. What do you like more about the SMS version?
>>
>>3905414
>samus being a female was a fairly unique reveal for the time
>"naw, it wasn't u dumbdumb faec!"
>sure it was
>"naw, look at all deze gaymes!"
>proceeds post a laundry list of games that were never released in the west at all, let alone back when metroid was new
>gets called out on it
>tries to change the argument into "are you claiming these games aren't real?!?"

Am I about right?
>>
File: 77.png (142KB, 511x564px) Image search: [Google]
77.png
142KB, 511x564px
>>3908426
>Still butthurt with facts
>Still forcing "muh western release" and "muh Samus"
Deal with it, my dear tumblrina: Western releases don't say what is or not valid. The "womyn characters are a novelty" is just a silly meme and nothing more.
>>
>>3908478
>>3908578
>M-muh /pol/itics!

This isn't /v/, you underage 'tards. Stop diminishing the quality of discussion on our board.
>>
>>3897912
Nintendo threatened retailers not to carry the sms or they'd pull the hugely popular nes from their shelves. They had no choice to comply.
>>
>>3908613
that's utterly false. nice youtube knowledge.
>>
>>3898160
Where I live, sms games are the only classic games I can find in thrift stores. Today by chance I got Shinobi, California Games and Ghostbusters. Maybe it's cause I live in a heavy chinese/jew area.
>>
>>3908616
>heavy Chinese area
If anything it'd be famicom bootlegs
>>
>>3898679
Still a longer than any N64 recommendation list.

I had both an NES and an SMS. I liked my SMS more.
>>
>>3908764
I got a modded famicom that plays on channel 3 but I yet to come across a single game.

It's encouraged me to start collecting for it and I'm surprised at the games I'm finding. I had a master system back in 1988 and don't remember that many games for it back then.
>>
Beucase bullshit Nintendo had a policy where you couldn't port your games over to other systems if you wanted to release a title for the NES.
>>
>>3908478
The entire point is that, from a Western point of view, female characters were a novelty. Listing a bunch of Japanese titles that never got released in the West doesn't change this fact. I'm not sure why this has to suddenly become some "tumblr /pol/ whatever" shitposting fest.
>>
>>3908946
Not an argument
>>
>>3908804
>b-but Nintendo!
>>
>>3908765
>Still a longer than any N64 recommendation list.

Not really.
We've had threads were people listed over 20 or 30 games that weren't even 1st party/Rare.
>>
>>3899669
It's better than Final Fantasy by a mile. It's one of the greatest RPG experiences you can have even to this day. At a time when most RPGs were basically grind from point A to point B while finding a key or two to win the game, Phantasy Star had you taking rocket ships to other planets, mapping out alien caves and prisons, dealing with weird alien monsters in incredible detail, and dungeon exploring in what felt like a pseudo 3D perspective at the time. It's one of the most visually stunning games ever made considering the era it was released in. I remember the first time I saw the opening intro as a kid, it almost knocked me off my seat, I never saw colors and detail like that in a video game before. The only other games that ever did that to me were Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, and Final Fantasy VII's FMVs and backgrounds.

People say IV is the best in the series, I think the first is by far the best, and I like IV. It can hold up against any Final Fantasy game, not just the first.
>>
>>3894628
You replied to your own post...
>>
>>3894628
Phantasy fucking Star. This game alone justifies the console.
>>
>>3899669
It's really freaking good. Doesn't even compare to FF, not that I dislike FF but PS is on a league of its own. 4 is also up there.
>>
>>3894628
Weak bait.
>>
>>3909458
What?
>>
File: IMG_20170407_224425.jpg (92KB, 1280x704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170407_224425.jpg
92KB, 1280x704px
fuck this board

yes you faggot
>>
>>3909571
Like what?
>>
>>3911054
Konami, Hudson, Natsume, Atlus and Enix released some good games for the system.
Not saying it has more/less than the SMS, but yeah N64 has actually more games worth playing other than 1st party and Rare, contrary to popular belief.
>>
Should I just get a Genesis to play sms games?
>>
>>3911068
You only listed companies, what are these great N64 games you're talking about?

>>3911086
From what I've heard, the converter is too expensive and you're better off getting an actual SMS instead and buy a flash cart.
>>
>>3911303
You must have misunderstood something.
You can play them with a Mega Drive flash cartridge.
>>
>>3911303
>You only listed companies, what are these great N64 games you're talking about?

I didn't say "great", and I won't say "great" because that's subjective and, given you're probably biased against the N64, you will probably diss them as "not great". I just said worth playing.
I don't want to derail this thread with N64 discussion, you can probably find the lists if you look up archives of N64 rec threads.
>>
>>3911310
Oh, well in that case get the genesis.
>>
>>3911303
I was thinking of getting the converter, in fact I was thinking of buying the Mega Drive
Not sure how expensive is the converter in Japan
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.