[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm nostalgiafagging for a GBC and Pokemon gold/silver.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

So I'm nostalgiafagging for a GBC and Pokemon gold/silver.

I'm worried about the non-blacklit screen though. I can't quite remember how shit it is.
>>
As far as the classic GB line goes, the Color's screen is probably the easiest to make out. But if it bugs you, a worm light is a perfectly viable solution.

GB Pocket has a slightly larger screen than the Color, and a smaller form factor to boot. The screen is a step down in quality though. Issues like banding aren't uncommon.
>>
File: GBBoy AlleyWay Invert.jpg (75KB, 545x429px) Image search: [Google]
GBBoy AlleyWay Invert.jpg
75KB, 545x429px
>>3893667 makes some great points, I'm personally a big GB Pocket fan. I got a GB Boy Colour recently though, and it's a great, cheap solution if you want to play in the dark. I use my Pocket when I've got good light, and the GB Boy otherwise.
>>
>>3893682
Yeah I just remembered Pocket was a thing. I'll probably get that too just off the strength of the form factor. It's well designed.
>>
>>3893687
it is really killer, the screen is really great and I never really cared for that weird hump on the GBC...
>>
>>3893667

If you get a worm light, just be aware that there are two different serial ports types: DMG Game Boy (big) and GB Pocket and Color (small)

I believe the small port was reused in the GBA, so worm lights for it should be compatible with Pocket and Color as well.
>>
I'm a big nostalgiafag too, but the GBC is really hard to play on these days... The screen isn't only hard to see, it's super tiny. My honest recommendation is to just play it on your phone with MyOldBoy and it's LCD3X filter. It emulates the real time clock features and everything else perfectly, and the filter is good enough that it looks like an actual Game Boy screen, just bigger and actually, y'know, visible. Plus the added benefit of playing it anywhere without having to lug around a Game Boy.

But yeah, if you insist on actual hardware, the GBP does have a bigger/less shitty screen than the GBC even if it is black and white, and the form factor is nicer (in my opinion)
>>
>>3893703
Thanks for the heads up. I do recall GBC worm lights working with GBA.
>>
>>3893705
>play it on your phone

Touch-screen control pads aren't suitable for anything except turn-based RPGs.
>>
>>3893710
...like Pokemon
>>
GBP screen is quite blurry in motion compared to the GBC
>>
>>3893654
Why do all these Gameboys have headphone jacks but SP doesn't?
>>
>>3893703
>I believe the small port was reused in the GBA
GBA had its own port that was backwards compatible with the old one. So a GBC/pocket link cable could be plugged into a GBA (but only used for link play in GB/C games, not in GBA games), but a GBA-specific link cable also existed that could not be used with the older gameboys. Since a worm light is just drawing power, it should work with both as long as it has the GBC-style plug.
(The GBA link port has a notch in it that will prevent it from being plugged into a GBC)
>>
>>3893745
It's also black and white, which everyone seems to be forgetting.
>>
>>3893754
Where would it go?
No room on the bottom.
Not on the sides because your hands get in the way.
There's a spot on the back, but there's probably not enough room internally.
>>
>>3893774
i think we just didnt feel the need to state the obvious
>>
>>3893654
GBC has a good screen if you overlook the backlight issue. Plus I think they're the most comfortable to hold of the retro GBs.

GBA SP's backlights are pretty great though. 001 models can turn the backlight off, which is nice for a more "authentic" display for old games. 101 models have a better backlight, but you can only adjust the brightness, not turn the backlight off. Plus you can play GBA games.
>>
>>3893754

I wish GBA was backlit. I love SP backlight but my hands are to fuckin big to play for extended periods of time. Plus no headphone jack.
>>
>>3893785
Any of the places the many people who have added one put it. lel
>>
>>3893654
crystal is a bit better than g/s. better graphics, a little more storyline, and battle tower can be a good challenge. you can only play crystal on the color though, not the pocket.
>>
>>3893774
>It's also black and white
You mean grayscale. B&W is literally just black and white (or blank) pixels, like a calculator screen.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>3893984
Sure looks comfy.
It's fine for a mod, but people would bitch about it if it was put there originally.
>>
File: 79919[1].gif (1MB, 196x171px) Image search: [Google]
79919[1].gif
1MB, 196x171px
>>3894762
>like a calculator screen.
Are you sure about that, man?
It works by flickering pixels on and off to create dark and light shades of gray in between the full on and full off shades of black and white.
>>
>>3894781
>cherrypicking
Whatever faggot. There's lots of places you can put it. No doubt people would have bitched if you were chosen as the fool to design the SP headphone interface.
>>
>>3894870

Yes, I'm aware that graphing calculators can be programmed to display shades of gray. The difference between grayscale / B&W was just an FYI, not an attempt be be pedantic.
>>
>>3895639
No beef man, I just wanted to post the calculator emulator because your post made me think of it and I thought it was cool.
>>
>>3893858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEsY6d4QSFE

ultimate GBA. You're welcome.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.