[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a game that was made before you were born that you would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 17

File: file.png (253KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
253KB, 650x366px
Name a game that was made before you were born that you would still be enjoying even if nobody else in the world was into retro games.
>>
Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>3890203
Simple choice but certainly not a wrong one.
>>
>>3890203
fpbp
OP was trying too hard forcing his "haha nostalgia goggles" meme
>>
>>3890217
Not trying shit except seeing what games anons would play if the retro game market wasn't a thing.
Playing Duck Hunt drunk atm and having a blast despite it being two years older than me. I'm curious as to what games are most fun for people who weren't even born when they came out.
>>
>>3890208
>>3890217
I choose SMB because it was released a couple days before I was born, but I actually started playing games with 2nd gen stuff on coleco, stuff like pac-man and DK, I could play those as well and still enjoy them today.
>>
>>3890201
That's not directly answering your question but still.
Having seen famiclones as a child in the '90s, I kind of grew up very cautious of NES games. I used to think they all aged like crap.
Then I got a handheld which had an NES emulator. And I thought, heck, why not to get some ROMs for it. Tried Castlevania, it wasn't bad at all. Mega Man, Contra, etc. etc.—I was getting surprised every time. The games almost didn't age, aside for no saves and graphics/controls. Moreover, some of them played better than their sequels.
So, I'd have tons of games to play still. I admit most of my favorite games are for 4th gen, but that's a matter of taste. As a matter of fact, almost none of the games I played as a kid are my all-time favorites.
>>
File: Archon_box.png (135KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
Archon_box.png
135KB, 300x304px
>>3890201
Archon on the C64.
>>
>>3890228
Nice to see an anon approaching these things fresh, myself I have the NES in my vague early childhood and the Genesis/SNES taking up the bulk of my formulative years, capped by the N64 arriving around the age of reason.

>>3890232
I have a friend who has a C64 in box sitting in his garage, acquired for novelty's sake I think. I should convince him to let me permanently borrow it to play this.
>>
Should have said "before 1985", because it's too easy to say >>3890203 or Tetris or something.
>>
>>3890201
Castlevania III
>>
>>3890201
Final Fantasy 4
>inb4 not NES game
>>
>>3890237
OP here, while I was looking for more "I wasn't around for NES originally but love <x> game on it" posts, any "I wasn't born for <x> but still love it" posts are welcome.
>>
File: starWarsFlyer.jpg (254KB, 850x1097px) Image search: [Google]
starWarsFlyer.jpg
254KB, 850x1097px
One of the true greats
>>
>>3890219
OK
My favorites from before I was born are: Renegade, Mega Man 3, Gradius, Gun-Nac, Crisis Force, Crystalis, Dragon Quest 3
>>
>>3890273
Renegade looks fun, grew up on Streets of Rage so it looks good.
Played Dragon Force 1, is III worth buying a copy of? It seems like a case of "press A until you win", though I base that only on the first one.
>>
>dragon force
You know what I meant
>>
>>3890289
Renegade is really short and not really like SoR. But it's just fun, silly and fun. You throw people off the railroad platform, punch women in the face, and also fight a guy with a gun who kills you with 1 shot.
Dragon Quest 3 is perhaps better played on SNES, the remake. DQ1 is harder to enjoy these days, it's pretty much what you described. But what do you want, the game started the JRPG subgenre back in 1986. DQ is usually conservative, but addictive and not boggled down with garbage. DQ3 is hailed by many as the pinnacle of it.
>>
I would play Arkanoid any day, but not these. At least not without plenty of alcohol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7Sg5pXAok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiShX2pTz9A
>>
File: 1484343511839.jpg (55KB, 557x604px) Image search: [Google]
1484343511839.jpg
55KB, 557x604px
Ghosts and Goblins
>>
Joust. Loved that game.
>>
Wizardry 1
>>
Considering I was born in 1981, there really isn't one.
>>
>>3890201
Most NES games I love playing were made before I was born

I didn't play Robotron 2084 until half a year ago and I truly love how "arcade" it feels: simple but flashy graphics, dito sounds, fast-paced and no-nonsense gameplay that would later be used for games like Smash TV and Binding of Isaac and despite it being from a completely different era it still feels addicting. Early 80s arcade games in general deserve more recognition.
>>
>>3890409
>He never played Atari 2600
What a pleb
>>
File: Defender_arcade_screenshot.png (13KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Defender_arcade_screenshot.png
13KB, 1920x1200px
>>3890201
There weren't many games out in 1974 and none that I would still play either way. I still go back to Defender sometimes though, that was my first game of note and I still enjoy it.

I don't care at all if anyone else is interested in old games as well. I enjoy them all the same.
>>
>>3890201
Super Mario Bros 3 since it came out a month before i was born.

I didnt play it recently but during the PS2 days i played FF3 Nes version and i loved it enough to play twice.

Also love to play soccer for Nes with my brother any chance we get.
>>
I guess I have no other choices but Zork.
>>
File: Starflight.png (4KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Starflight.png
4KB, 640x400px
Starflight on Commodore C64.
>>
Wii Sports
>>
The Secret of Monkey Island came out a year before I was born, definitely that one.
>>
>>3890201
>being born before retro games

fucks sake
>>
File: Spacewar!.jpg (116KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
Spacewar!.jpg
116KB, 500x341px
>>3890201
>1967
I don't have many to choose from
>>
Born in 1996, so this is pretty easy. My top five pre-'96 games are:
>Super Mario World
>Link's Awakening
>Metal Gear 2
>Panzer Dragoon
>Mega Man X3
>>
>doom was released 3 months after my birthday
Fug
I guess links awakening
>>
>>3890826
I have the Genesis version but haven't had a chance to play it yet, looks good though.
>>
File: tapper-screenshot.png (22KB, 1024x960px) Image search: [Google]
tapper-screenshot.png
22KB, 1024x960px
Oh boy, I'm gonna have to go pre-NES for this challenge. If I could have chosen the year of my birth, I would've went with Gauntlet. Prior to that I feel citing Jarvis is cheating, since he was light years ahead of his time. So I'm gonna go with Tapper.
>>
>>3890201
Paper Mario
>>
>>3890201
>Name a game that was made before you were born
Ummm... Monopoly?
>>
>>3890235
Get that C64! Even if it's just to listen to some of the music available for it! The SID music chip sounds just HEAVENLY! (gush gush hnnngg!)
>>
>>3891009
Anon, Monopoly was released 82 years ago. Be honest, the Reaper is actually in your house and you stalled him by asking to take a shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsLk-N8UQo
>>
All video games are younger than me. I am a 143 year old wizard.

ooga booga
>>
>>3890289
>>3890303
I always get mixed up with Renegade and Target Renegade. Pretty sure Renegade is the much better one, but Target Renegade was the one I owned... Yeah.
>>
>>3890367
My number one all time favorite arcade machine! HUGELY to do with childhood nostalgia, but also still a really great game and a fucking good challenge too!
I can complete it on 3 or 4 credits, which I'm very proud of.(and was the whole reason for this post. Hehe.)
>>
Easily Tetris for the NES
>>
File: kunio-3.png (8KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
kunio-3.png
8KB, 240x240px
>>3891020
Renegade is a reskin of the first Kunio-kun/Nekketsu game. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, think River City Ransom.
It was also one of the first beat 'em ups ever. Made by Technos, the guys who made Double Dragon a year later. So yeah, as you' expect it's pretty cool.
It's still very short, but actually it has some mechanics I feel no game after it captured. The feel of being a total shithead, too.
>>
>>3890201
I was born in 1978. As such, I'm not quite sure how to answer this question.
>>
File: B55nqwOIEAA7HTF.png (217KB, 600x633px) Image search: [Google]
B55nqwOIEAA7HTF.png
217KB, 600x633px
>try to answer OP
>realize I can barely name a game from after I was born that I like
>>
>>3891195
Still enough games before you.
>>
Kirby Superstar. Or any pre '96 Kirby game for that matter.

>>3890997
Nice bait. You have to be 18 to post here, buddy :^)
I fucking love Paper Mario. One of my top 5 easily.
>>
File: Nebulus.gif (4KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Nebulus.gif
4KB, 320x200px
>>
>>3890201
No vidya from before 69 is enjoyable for more than 60 seconds. Maybe a decent pinball machine could hold my attention for a while.
>>
File: Galaga.png (69KB, 793x613px) Image search: [Google]
Galaga.png
69KB, 793x613px
>>
>>3891615
>>3890840
>>3891195
>>3891009
>posting with actual grandpas
How did you guys end up here? Not bashing either, why would I? Legit fascinated.
>>
Pacman arcade
>>
File: 1461747246958.png (6KB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
1461747246958.png
6KB, 240x256px
I grew up on the second and third generations. Millipede is only a couple of years before my time, but I still play it to this day.

Honorable mention: Lady Bug. Definitely an overlooked gem from the classic arcade days. Indeed, it's "just another" Pac-Man clone, but it's an innovative one at that.
>>
File: 12h.jpg (12KB, 308x317px) Image search: [Google]
12h.jpg
12KB, 308x317px
>>3891861
You're here forever
>>
>>3891861
I was on 2ch (not futaba) first, and 4chan later
I like anonymous forums
>>
>>3891861
4chan has been around for a while. If you weren't underage when it started you're over 30 today.
>>
>>3891195
Oregon trail, for example. Even the commercial version was posted before that, 1976.
>>
>>3890201
>before you were born
Were there even any games worth playing before 1983?
All I can remember is squares moving other squares across a screen full of squares.

Maybe Dankey Kang? Wasn't that from '81?
>>
>>3893040
Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Galaga, Asteroids, Heiankyo Alien, Breakout, Tempest.

Among other things.
>>
>>3893040
There were a buttload of good games before 83. And if you were born in 83 you're remembering the late 80's. Nothing was just squares then. You
>>
>>3890201
Russian roulette
>>
>>3890856
> Metal Gear 2
My nigga
>>
>>3890201
>even if nobody else in the world was into retro games.
That's kind of a pointless thing to bring up here. I think the majority of the board has a strong disdain for the recent retro trend and has been playing these games regardless for a long time.
>>
>>3894732
>I think the majority of the board has a strong disdain for the recent retro trend

This part I just don't understand at all. Not that I need other people to enjoy them as well, but I think it's great that so many do. It's so odd to me there are those who see it as a bad thing.
>>
File: 960.jpg (81KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
81KB, 960x540px
>>3894968
Well, it's a little shitty to have to listen to people who, quite literally, weren't alive when these games were relevant talk about them as if they were, and then try to offer "insights" about them that all basically boil down to "nostalgia goggles lol xD".
>this game is bad because i said so and the only reason you disagree is because you grew up with it!
Well, how can I argue with that?

Or the constant revisionism by so-called "millennials" and their inability to listen to people who actually lived through the time period they're making ill-informed assumptions about.
>zelda 2 was universally hated when it came out because people wanted it to be like the original!
>majora's mask was one of the best-selling and highest reviewed games in history on release!
Yeah, and Max Headroom was the president back then, and slap bracelets were truly the height of fashion.

Or silly meaningless phrases like "aged well / aged like milk".

Or the constant cringe-worthy attempts at elitism.
>REAL retro gamers who were, like, totally around back in the day, prefer the actual REAL japanese smb2
You mean the one none of us from "back in the day" even knew existed, let alone actually played?
>>
Bloodborne.
>>
>>3895136
See this is the thing though. I might not always agree with younger players, but consistently the ones who are around or close to my age just seem like you, bitter and angry about everything.

I just love games so I like talking to other people who love games. Passion and interest is far more important to me than when they were born.
>>
>>3895136
All of this. Not sure if all of them are said by underage but it's mind baffling to see that circlejerk on a regular basis.
>>
>>3895246
Except I'm not angry or bitter. I'm just disappointed that a lot of discussion gets sidetracked by the things I mentioned in my post. If it comes off as bitter, or ageist, I can completely see why. I just wish people were less inclined to shitpost about it. Or realize that their completely non-applicable points of view regarding history they weren't around for are both wrong and unnecessary.
>>
>>3890201
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
>>
>>3895273
>If it comes off as bitter, or ageist, I can completely see why. I just wish people were less inclined to shitpost about it.

That's fair, but I still think it's a poor excuse to put down the whole trend of retro game popularity. And I find the ones who identify as older posters are equally bad at repeating the same things over and over and with at least as much vitriol as any of the newer ones can muster.
>>
>>3895286
>That's fair, but I still think it's a poor excuse to put down the whole trend of retro game popularity.
I agree, and for the record I was doing no such thing. Just to be clear.

>And I find the ones who identify as older posters are equally bad at repeating the same things over and over and with at least as much vitriol as any of the newer ones can muster.
Sure. But it gets exhausting after a while having to constantly correct the record just to move a conversation forward.

For example, we can't have a conversation about how Zelda 2 was received until you realize that your misunderstandings about how it's "poor sales and critically low reviews on release due to not being similar in playstyle or theme to the original" are so completely removed from reality as to be laughable. Any potential discussion is pretty much brick-walled until that unsightly and incorrect matter is cleared up. But that never happens smoothly, does it? No, the thread immediately slides right into a free-for-all shitposting extravaganza because someone got told they were wrong on the Internet. If this sort of thing causes some vitriol I trust you can imagine why.
>>
File: Bubblebobble.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Bubblebobble.png
4KB, 256x224px
>1986
Goddamn
I thought it was released around '89 or '90 for whatever reason.
>>
>>3895293
>I agree, and for the record I was doing no such thing. Just to be clear.

But that's exactly what I was talking about which you replied to.>>3894968

>Sure. But it gets exhausting after a while having to constantly correct the record just to move a conversation forward.

I see it a little differently. Some people think there is a "correct" opinion for certain things and anyone who has a different one has to be put down until they fall in line. I find that really boring.

But also I'm not interested in discussions about how Zelda 2 (or whatever) was received. I don't even read those. Personally I am only interested in other people's opinions on the actual game irregardless of when they played it.
>>
>>3895323
>But that's exactly what I was talking about which you replied to.
I realize that. I was just making it clear that I didn't share the sentiment.

>Some people think there is a "correct" opinion for certain things and anyone who has a different one has to be put down until they fall in line.
That might be the case, but those weren't the folks I was referring to. When I said "revisionism" earlier I meant just that. Opinions don't bother me. Rewriting history, and then fervently insisting you're right, does.
>>
>>3895364
Cool, sounds like we mostly agree. There is a lot of useless posting around here, but that's just 4chan, it's all good.
>>
>>3890471
>Early 80s arcade games in general deserve more recognition.
This. Satan's Hallow, Spy Hunter, and Robotron 2084 are all excellent games.
>>
Being born in 93 makes this piss easy. Two of my favorite games of all time were from before I was born: Link's Awakening and Out Run.
>>
>>3895521
Oh well fuck me I thought Link's Awakening was from 1992. I could easily replace it with Super Hang-On or Punch-Out!!, both of those are nearly perfect games in my eyes.
>>
>>3895136
>literally
>half screen redit tier rant
>so-called "millennials"
>projecting this hard
lel
>>
File: Jawbreaker.webm (1MB, 544x448px) Image search: [Google]
Jawbreaker.webm
1MB, 544x448px
Jawbreaker and H.E.R.O are pretty good I guess.
>>
>>3890741

Not many 2600 games were released before then. A lot of the good ones mostly came later, I think.
>>
>>3890201
Starcraft
>>
>>3896020
That is terrifying.
>>
>>3893376
>Russian roulette
Super Russian Roulette is not out yet! lol
>>
Jeez! A hard one! There are just so many games that came out in the 2-4 years after I was born that are special and timeless for me.

Choplifter on Apple II. That's pretty special to me.

Not many console games I can think of made before I was born are special to me, maybe Super Breakout on Atari 2600;

Galaga is probably the special arcade game for me.
>>
>>3895982
lol triggered
>>
>>3890201
Bionic Commando, even though i suck at it.
>>
>>3890921
Me too, have it boxed with manual. Really impressive game for its time
>>
Smash bros 64
>>
Majoras mask
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.