[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you run into issues with cartridges that use batteries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
Have any of you run into issues with cartridges that use batteries dying?

So far I have never experienced this, but I've read about how some old N64 and SNES cartridges used SRAM and were powered by a little battery in them, then once that battery died many many years later, people lost their save files. I'm moving into a new place next month and I'm going to set my old consoles up, and one of the things I'd like to do first is run though Ocarina of Time again. I'm not exactly the fastest/best gamer, so it could take me a couple of months or so to beat it. My fear is that since the cartridge is nearly 20 years old, the battery will give out when I'm on one of the later dungeons or something. Not a disaster, but it would be annoying, since I haven't beat this game since I was a kid and I'd really like to again.

Anyways, how common is this? Could I expect the battery to hold out for another year or something? Should I replace it before I start? It looks kind of complicated. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>3889740
It's not complicated at all. You desolder a tab or two, put a new tabbed battery on the board and resolder it. The only tricky part is, if this is for a Nintendo game, getting it open. Though, you can buy screwdrivers for them online.
Just do it whenever it it dies, but it's easy to replace if you really want to.
>>
>>3889740
had this problem with Gameboy games -- even with pokemon games that had only existed for so long

Not sure if it's possible wear and tear since people tend to save often on pokemon
>>
>>3889759
The GBA games had batteries that died quickly. It only affects the internal clock.
>>
>have carpal tunnel syndrome
>already learned the hard way that I don't have the dexterity to fix my vidya
>mfw I realize I'll have to pay someone for every repair
>>
>>3889802
You can't solder two tabs?
>>
I replace them the ghetto way. You take a razor blade to saw away at the staples holding the battery into the tabs. Once removed, you just replace & wrap a little electrical tape around everything.
>>
>>3889802
i would of felt sorry for you if you didn't have arms
too bad you didn't write that instead.
>>
>>3889815
Why ghetto? Because it's cheap and Jews are thrifty.
>>
>>3889765
Some GBA games use sram to save.
Pokemon Silver/Gold use it for an RTC. RTCs pull more juice than SRAM, so they die faster.
>>
>>3889802
desoldering tab batteries is very easy.
Just heat the solder and pull out the tab.
>>
>>3889873
You mean Ruby and Sapphire?
>>
>>3889740

Once by now. My DK(GB) cart's battery died.
>>
>>3889802
>be a faggot with undiagnosed made up shit
>post on noncirclejerk board
>get made fun of by normies
>>
>>3889949
>never finished high school
>make fun of someone for an actual medical issue
>>
Once opened my Final Fantasy NES cartridge and saw the battery had been replaced. Also once borrowed a copy of DKC from a friend, who has had the game since he was a kid, and the battery had died since he last played. I had to replace it.
>>3889815
That was how I knew Final Fantasy had a replaced battery, and I used the same method with DKC because I'm too stupid and lazy to solder.
>>
>>3889816
At least we can feel sorry for you for your need to declare apathy towards this person's condition.
>>
>>3889756
Why did I read this entire post with an Australian accent? Go on cunt, try it.
>>
>>3889960
For real right? What the fuck guys leave the guy alone.
>>
>>3889816
>would of
You dumb faggot.
>>
>>3890074
Why?
>>
>>3889960
>make fun of someone who never finished high school with a made up medical issue
>>
>>3889740

>They didn't play the retro Pokemon games
>>
>>3890173
...are you actually retarded? Carpal tunnel isn't made up, you fucking dipshit. It's a repetitive stress injury, commonly found in blue collar workers who make the same motions for 8 hours a day.
>>
>>3890216
What's your motion, wanking?
>>
File: 1478399198011.jpg (108KB, 1200x739px) Image search: [Google]
1478399198011.jpg
108KB, 1200x739px
I have a copy of Super Mario World and the battery will only hold a save for a few hours. It's pretty annoying but I am to lazy to fix it.
>>
>>3890216
Carpal tunnel isn't made up, granted, but it only affects limp-wristed faggots who need to lift more so they don't get strain from doing trivial motions over and over.
>>
>>3890216
But your carpal tunnel is made up. You and your dealer "pharmacist" made it up so you could smoke weed. You've never done 8 hours of work in your life.
>>
>>3890234
Had exactky tge same thing, I dunno maybe because I played it so much? Swapped it out for some other game I had, fifa I think.
>>
>>3889765
GBA isn't retro you retard.
>>
>>3890242
Lifting makes it worse. It's the tunnel the nerves lie in swells and never goes back down on its own. You can get simple surgery to relieve the pinch on the nerves but it never goes back to the way it was. The working theory for why workers get it and gamers tend not to is simply that a gamer will stop when it's uncomfortable whereas a worker still has 2 hours left on their shift and has to force it.
>>
>>3889878
He might've, but gen2 also has RTC.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.