[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on old titles being ported to new consoles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Not my picture.png (819KB, 878x537px) Image search: [Google]
Not my picture.png
819KB, 878x537px
What's your opinion on old titles being ported to new consoles?
Obviously ports with new content or features are generally great (Sega 3D Classics are an excellent example of how to do this) but what about stuff like the Virtual Console or Hamster's ACA and ACA Neo Geo series where it's just an emulated version of the game?
>>
>>3889484
Absolute rip-off, especially for the prices Nintendo asks. I fell for it a few times on the Wii and 3DS, mostly because it was appealing to have some of my classic favorites easily at hand, especially on a portable, but ever since I found a good CRT and hooked up all my old systems again, I've no need for them. If there's every any game I wanna play, don't own, and is too expensive, I'll just emulate or get a flash cart.

And yeah, Sega's 3D classics are the fuckin' bomb. I play 3D Sonic 2 and Out Run all the time.
>>
>>3889484
>What's your opinion on old titles being ported to new consoles?

If you're referring to emulated "ports," then they're hardly ports at all.

I can get behind some of the physical releases of arcade classics or Sega compilations for modern consoles, but anything on Virtual Console is just overpriced emulation.

I think the only compilations I currently own are Atari Collection 2 for PS1, and Fantasy Zone Complete Collection for PS2. Both were a value.
>>
>>3889484
Oh! I see they got those neo-geo titles on the American switch e-shop. Neat.

I'd mostly get them so I can have them on my switch and play them where ever whenever. With the Switch being portable and featuring two controllers it'd be pretty great to bring it over to a friend's house and play it with them. In the case of those Neo-geo games it's more of a convenience type of thing. Unless the port just fucking sucks, of course. (see dotEmu's attempts for the steam version of the metal slug games)

Those Sega 3D classics though, yeah man, those rule. The only down-side being they're on a portable tiny screen I suppose, but I still play them quite a bit.
>>
>>3889695
This. I don't need """ports""" with shitty scaling and actual input lag sold for inadequate price. If those were actual ports, then we'd talk.
>>
File: jew.png (9KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
jew.png
9KB, 501x585px
>>3889484
>What's your opinion on letting babies taste the good stuff?
Stellar idea. Whether it's a port or an lp I give a shit. As long as it encourages them to give me their shekels
>>
>>3889484
Eh, I mean it's nice to have it there but I don't really bother with stuff like VC. I do like physical emulated collections like the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, as dumb as it sounds there's just something a bit more genuine about it to me even if at the end of the day it's just emulation.

>>3889857
>The only down-side being they're on a portable tiny screen I suppose
Yeah but that pixel density man, 2D games look crisp as fuck on the 3DS
>>
>>3889484
Good if it's on par with the original hardware
Great if there's some enhancements/multiple versions
Best with all versions and enhancements possible
So for some examples
good-Sonic mega or gems collection
great-Namco museum
best-Sega 3d classics collection
>>
>>3889484
>WakuWaku 7
I'll allow it
>>
>>3889484
I wish that there were more things like 3D Sega Classics or even full versions of the NES Remix games (yes yes; blah blah romhack. I want an Excitebike with wild weather).

Honestly, they're the best way for people who aren't willing to go whole hog into retro collecting to get into old games. And yes; I know that people can and will emulate shit for free and all that jazz, but there are still humans who actually like to pay for things to own.
>>
I got mad when they port the same games over and over and over again. Hell, I love Sonic, Golden Axe, Metroid and lots of other titles but they had countless versions in countless platforms, stop rereleasing them. I only wish more arcade racing games get ported with full compatibility with new wheels and shit like that, people don't love enough some arcade games because they're restricted only in old rotting cabinets.
>>
>>3889484
This might sound super weird, but as someone who emulates most retro games, I like it as a way to give back a little and show my support for older titles that I like. So if it's a game I like enough I'll buy a digital copy even though I know I'm just going to keep playing the ROM on my PSP or something.
>>
>>3889484
>ported
>>
Virtual console can lick a fuckin dick for how much they charge for the games. If they were half as much, or were ever put on sale, I'd consider it. But $5.00 for an NES rom when they're so easily obtainable elsewhere is insane.
>>
>>3890697
>I want an Excitebike with wild weather
Fucking same, and I actually would play the crap out of Golf with the thunderstorms.
>>
The PS4 Arcade Archives re-issues of Konami games were ported by M2 and are much better emulated than they are on MAME, especially Contra (which doesn't have accurate enemy movement on MAME). Those are the only ones I would recommend.
>>
Too bad Metal Slug 1, 2, and X weren't on there as well. But who cares, my PSP is my Metal Slug machine.

Not retro, but a digital version of Metal Slug Anthology on the PSP is the best way to play them besides the AES versions.
>>
They're literaly the only way to still buy those games in a legit way.

To me it sounds like people who criticize those system and who are willing to give THOUSANDS to resellers just need an excuse to persuade themselves they're making the right choice. Usually it's the same people who claim "publishers don't make games".

To them, I'll just remind that if the NES Mega Man series didn't sell so well on Virtual Console, we probably would never have had Mega Man 9/10 because they'd never think anyone was still interested in the old style until they sold millions on VC.

Without MM9/10, we probably wouldn't have had an entire trend of new retro games, which yeah is mostly garbage, but just for the few actually good ones was worth it.

And without the sales of the re-releases of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior on various platforms, we probably wouldn't be getting an entirely new Build engine FPS made in the style of old.
>>
>>3889484
What's special about Hamster's ACA?

I first heard of them because of Darius on PS4, are they actually doing something great?
>>
>>3890719
Just tried Dirt Dash, pretty sweet game, although it didn't run that great in MAME.
>>
>>3890836
>Without MM9/10, we probably wouldn't have had an entire trend of new retro games
bullshit.
>>
Virtual console is neat if you want to pay the prices they have. I only really buy enhanced ports like Sonic CD, or the not retro Mega Man Battle Network rereleases.

I would like to see more good quality arcade ports or some being more readily available. Would love a good Raiden DX port.
>>
>>3890851
Don't you remember? It wasn't so long ago. Yes, it didn't start the trend, but after MM9 sold millions the trend exploded.
>>
File: cavestory.gif (64KB, 540x362px) Image search: [Google]
cavestory.gif
64KB, 540x362px
>>3890878
Not him, but I think MM9 did so well because the trend was already in full swing.
>>
Ripoff.
I wish they would atleast adjust 1 or 2 things so it would be worth buying.
Like Pokemon Red where you can trade online.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.