[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found an archived /vr/ thread from 2013 wherein someone referred

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Tumblr_l2d3o0KyLG1qarrk2o1_1280.jpg (409KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_l2d3o0KyLG1qarrk2o1_1280.jpg
409KB, 700x1000px
I found an archived /vr/ thread from 2013 wherein someone referred to The Guardian Legend as "grossly overrated." I couldn't reply, what with it being archived and all, but really? Grossly overrated? A game that even most people from my generation (in their 30s) have never even heard of?

(((costanza.jpg)))
>>
File: 20170323_004146.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_004146.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
I think TGL is one of the best NES games ever made. Alongside Crystalis, it's a tie for my favorite NES game of all time.

The first time I played it was after buying it from a display case in SEARS in like 1989 or 1990. I don't think I ever played a shmup before and I had so much trouble beating the first boss that I actually had tears of frustration in my 8-year-old eyes, yelling at my mom to take the stupid game back to the store.

Thankfully she didn't. It wound up being one of the best games I ever played. The variety of the world and themes, so diverse yet consistent with each other, made exploring NAJU an absolute delight. The music is probably one of the best VGM soundtracks ever composed. The bosses are bizarre, iconic, and larger than life. The gameplay mechanics, such as RPG elements like being able to increase your HP meter, ammo stock, and weapon levels only add to the depth. To top it all off, the game had a female protagonist without having to shove any sort of political bullshit down your throat.

I have nothing but praise to sing for this game. As a game dev I've made my own spiritual adaptation and I'd gladly hack the rom for a remix or build another entirely new game from scratch to pay homage to this classic. I recently beat it on my modded NES Classic and was surprised at how well it holds up to this day, nearly 30 years later.

If you love retro games and haven't played this one, it's definitely worth a look.
>>
>genre mashups
I'll bet you're the type of person who rolls bard, too, asshole.
>>
>>3889465
>A game that even most people from my generation (in their 30s) have never even heard of?

The other anon might have been referring to its post-second generation popularity. Guardian Legend is one of the most commonly recommended "hidden" gems for the NES, so most any retro enthusiast has played it by now. And I agree, it is a tad overrated. It's really not the holy grail of shooters that some people make it out to be.

Also, the game is somewhat cheap on the reseller market, so there are a lot of copies still in circulation. That would seem to suggest that the game saw many sales in its day. Maybe it wasn't often mentioned in old gaming magazines, but nonetheless might have been a common household item.
>>
>discussions can last up to 4 years now on /vr/

Cmon, I know this is a slow board but that's just pushing it

On topic, the game might be higly praised in some cirlces but it's still obscure, those are not mutually exclusive
>>
File: Cy2Jea5UAAAHn3b.jpg:orig.jpg (199KB, 880x1163px) Image search: [Google]
Cy2Jea5UAAAHn3b.jpg:orig.jpg
199KB, 880x1163px
>>3889474
>the game had a female protagonist without having to shove any sort of political bullshit down your throat.

Of course, it was the 80's where blockbusters like Alien and Terminator had female protagonists and the mainstrean didn't care about soggy knees. Also it's a japanese game, based japs never cared about that

>As a game dev I've made my own spiritual adaptation

Link that shit my man idc if it's not technically retro
>>
There's always faggots on the internet trying to call everything overrated.
Also many shmup guys on the internet are known for being huge contrarians, a lot of them hate Ikaruga with a passion, for example.
Goes to show you they care more about what other people think or like, rather than the games themselves.
Their excuses are always "m-muh scoring system" but most of them never played for score or 1cc or anything, just shitpost on the internet, roleplaying as video game gurus.
>>
>>3889551

Sure, it's called 'The Indie Game Legend' - It was originally created as an inside joke for a forum I used to post on but apart from the story/jokes, the gameplay was heavily influenced from TGL and even borrowed a lot of things directly. I made the game in 4 months but it should provide an hour or two of fun.

If you can't find a link I'll put it up on my Dropbox or something.
>>
>>3889551
>>3889593

Yeah, looks like the top links are broken. Here's a video playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGoko6dLsA

And here's a link directly from my DB:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uojgpqgarr3gqsg/TIGL.zip?dl=0
>>
File: 1489446798656.png (601KB, 914x713px) Image search: [Google]
1489446798656.png
601KB, 914x713px
>>3889596
Based. There should be more people copying TGL over Megaman and Mother
>>
File: 2b511e95fe3c.gif (1MB, 360x225px) Image search: [Google]
2b511e95fe3c.gif
1MB, 360x225px
>>3889601

I'm currently tempted to attempt a 16-bit reskin of Crystalis but today I saw this gif and it made me want to do a remix of TGL that kept the original graphics, music, etc. and just added new areas and remixed the weapons, enemies, and bosses like the one in the gif.
>>
>>3889474
>To top it all off, the game had a female protagonist without having to shove any sort of political bullshit down your throat.
>"Wahhh! Muh social justice boogeyman!"

This isn't /v/.
>>
>>3889676

>boogeyman

Right, except for the whole part where SJWs are literally forcing inclusivity in video games...
>>
>>3889465
My favorite NES game
>>
>>3889618
isn't that what the new Double Dragon IV is trying to do? Also Wild Guns Reloaded iirc. Maybe there is an untapped market for these types of "expansions" for older games
>>
>>3889727
>Double Dragon IV

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this game. Yeah, I feel like maybe there is a market. We see a lot of remakes and remasters and ports, but rarely do we see expansions or remixes of source material.
>>
>>3889465
>/vr/ is so easily baited they reply to shitposts from four years ago

Christ you better hope to god /tv/ doesn't find out or else we're fucked.
>>
>>3889717
Yes the SJWs are going back in time and retroactively forcing their agenda in obscure Japanese games from the 80s.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.