[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

not sure if im going to get slammed with hate for posting this,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: system01.png (209KB, 650x470px) Image search: [Google]
system01.png
209KB, 650x470px
hey /vr/ wanted to ask thoughts on the retron 5, at first i was thinking of buying the genesis. nes, snes and a few others, then i watched the youtube channel "my life in gaming" and saw all the different cabl connections to get the best picture quality out of the retro consoles. being this is only $120 that beats the cost of those. anyone know the emulation quality (color, and sound accuracy) of this?
>>
Not retro, fuck off.
>>
File: he-doesnt-like-you.jpg (10KB, 675x350px) Image search: [Google]
he-doesnt-like-you.jpg
10KB, 675x350px
>>3886136
If you don't want to play on real hardware because "too many connections", just emulate on an rPi or PC and put your carts away. Don't meddle with some sickly emulation using carts.
>>
My wife's son loves it and it saved our relationship.
>>
>>3886148
not that its too many connections but man all that stuff adds up after a while. was interested mainly in playing the game boy games on a bigger screen since my vision is really awful and can't be fixed.
>>
The pc you are typing on can do a better job with emulation and you can probably hook it up to your tv.

I really don't like that they stole emulators for that box of theirs.
>>
>>3886136
Worth it if you are married.
>>
>>3886136
Why do you need the "best" picture quality?
composite on a crt is fine. In fact it's how the developers intended the games to be played
>>
>>3886249
moslty because A: i dont need a crt just for these and B: i have an eye disease that makes stuff really blurry in the first pl;ace so having a sharp image makes it easier for me to read text and smalleer things on the screen when i sit close enough to the screen. i would really rather have all the old consoles to be honest but at the same time this takes up so much less room. not saying this is a better option (original hardware is always better) just thought ide ask around to see what others think.
>>
>>3887110
I think you should emulate
>>
>>3887113
have any specific reasons? just want to get a better understanding.
>>
>>3887120
It's cheaper, easier and more versatile than those prefab boxes
>>
>>3886231 whats your reasoning behind that?
>>
>>3887120
Well, usually for people who seem to want to seriously collect I recommend starting small with a single system and a CRT. It seems like anons keep coming up with various rationalizations for not doing this but if you really are about blind and need to sit close to a very large display to read it then it's going to be best to just emulate on whatever display you're using right now. If you absolutely must use original hardware, invest in a good upscaler but there's really no reason at all to ever buy a Retron 5. It's emulation. Plugging carts into it is just a placebo and ultimately one of many unnecessary inconveniences.
>>
>>3887120
Because the the retron 5 is a emulator box, using emulators that aren't even legally licensed to be used in a commercial product.
>>
>>3887164
well the thing is, i'm not looking to collect, just get the games i played a few i wanted to play for each system (i know thats what a lot of people say then it gets worse from there maybe one more) so around 10 snes 5 nes a good handful of genesis etc. so basically just a really good handful from every console. sometimes i look at it like this "will having the exact hardware yield something to improve my life somehow" no although i would really like it. not worht it for what im striving for. you know?
>>
File: original.jpg (119KB, 1100x730px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
119KB, 1100x730px
>>3886136
You want cart-based console? Get Retro Trio. It's a hardware clone, not an emulator box like Retron 5. It has S-video, but if you want HDMI, wait until May for picrelated.
>>
>>3887154
Wife's son meme.
>>
>>3887186
thank you for your input i will check it out!
>>
>>3887186
I'm surprised Retro Bit aren't promoting this more. They've shown it off at some trade shows but considering it's only a couple of months away from it's touted release, there's nothing on their site or anywhere else about it. A search just brings up the shitty old composite version.
>>
>>3887186
This looks nice. I don't collect for these consoles, but I have a few carts for each laying around. I would buy this for the right price. Too bad it don't have an n64 slot.
>>
>>3887186
>hardware clone

It's no such thing, Anon. It's a console on a chip, and the compatibility and video output are every bit as shitty as every other console on a chip.
>>
>>3886136
at this point, you should just mod a wii.
>>
>>3886136
Buy an HDMI cable and a USB controller, hook them to your laptop, hook the laptop to your TV, boom.

No cable mess, no clutter, no cart hunting, no wasting money on shit and you get to customize your settings and play fan translated games that you would never have played by using original software.

Anything outside of this is just attention whoring.
>>
i appreciate your input, but stating that your solution is the end all be all solution and everything else is "attention whoring" tells me you have some sort of mental complex. please get off your high horse and back to earth this is a conversation.
>>
>>3887335
i have thought of doing something like that but i like having the physical carts.
>>
>>3887330
Really? I read in several reviews that it's essentially 3 clones in one.
>The 'RetroN 5' is essentially a glorified emulator that reads the ROM file from an inserted cart and runs it through appropriate software installed on an Android based operating system. The 'Super Retro Trio' on the other hand does exactly what you'd expect from a clone console, it plays the games from the cartridges in the same way that the original hardware did. Yes, that will mean you won't get to use emulated Game Genie codes, fancy screen filters or artificial save states, as you can on the 'RetroN 5', but many would argue you're getting is much more authentic.
Hence why it's pretty bulky and supports pretty much all of the original accessories.
That said, it's not without its problems:
>Standard clone problems... sound issues, graphical issues when playing some Genesis games, color pallet is off on NES a lot, etc.
>Well, I've been using my retro trio for about 6 months now, and although it is very convenient...it's definitely not perfect ...I have mine hooked to a sony CRT and for the most part it outputs decently..If wanting the clone for S-video, the SNES side looks fantastic..the Genesis looks like ass with major jail bars when using s-video, and composite looks as crappy as any...From my experience, the nes side looks great using composite despite the off colors. The GBA adapter is pretty God sent on this thing though as it outputs fairly good without any extra RCA cables.
>Sound wise, the SNES and Genny sides got it right for most games, but the NES still sounds like garbage for a lot of titles..(here's looking at you Mario 3 and Kid Nikki)..from what I understand, there is a easy mod you can do to fix the sound...and also, the later models have supposedly been fixed but it's really hard to tell which ones are the later models.
>>
>>3887675
You want to spend thousands on the software, but $50 for the hardware is breaking the bank?

Every argument in favor of the Retron is flawed.
>>
>>3887737
as i previously stated,i only want a good handful of games (around 10 games or less) per console that the retron can run. so.... not thousands?
>>
>>3886152
underrated kek

OP these things are pieces of shit. Just get a decent PC tower and emulate everything.
>>
>>3887758
what is your premise behind stating they are shit?
>>
>>3887763
Because there's literally no reason to own one. If you're going to emulate, you're going to get a better experience using a proper PC. Also why bother using real carts when it doesn't make a damn bit of difference from using a rom?
>>
>>3887950
They're not shit, but I only use mine for recording in HD. If I'm not recording, I'll play on actual hardware because it feels better.
>>
>>3887763
lets see. android piece of shit with noticeable input lag over hdmi, faulty cartridge slots, runs outdated version of retroarch. it is garbage.

If you're going to settle for the bottom of the barrel: emulation, just use a PC. Emulation is for mouthbreathing retards but at least get the best the scrub-tier solution offers.
>>
>>3886136
Your gonna get slammed. Like your sons mom did.
>>
>>3886136
My wife loves it!!
>>
>>3888334
Because it's big and black?
>>
>>3887663
One option involves spending less than $10 and being able to play right away while you enjoy your games and mind your own business..

The other involves announcing you are about to buy expensive stuff just because you want to brag about it and your cart collection.

Attention whoring it is.
>>
>>3887154
It's a meme from this board's early days based on people constantly using their wife as a justification for owning a retron.
>>
>>3887154
It's a meme meant to mock a Retron shill who kept spamming this board with viral Retron threads and comments, usually claiming that his wife loved the console and how it saved so much shelf space by only needing one console instead of three or four.
>>
OP, if you really want to emulate cartridges, get a Retrode and some adapters. It supports reading ROMs and reading/writing saves from all the consoles the Retron 5 supports via USB.
>>
>>3889547
>emulate cartridges
That's not what a retrode does champ. It lets you read them and run them in an emulator. If you want to emulate a cart you'll need something like an ED.
Baby powered shitstorm of hardware emulation ignorance in 3...2...1...
>>
>>3886154
You may want to buy a snes+super gameboy. If it's too expensive, you should try buying a used wii for 30$ and softmod it (extremely easy) to play your gb games on your TV. If you consider using emulation, i'd stick to VBA since it has the dank super gameboy frames in fullscreen
>>
>>3889752
Obviously it doesn't emulate cartridges, I meant reading carts and emulating that.
>if you really want to emulate cartridges
I never said the Retrode emulated anything. Plus if you're emulating, you don't need an everdrive, otherwise it gets more complicated than I'm willing to get into. OP wanted to play carts in a Retron 5, which basically does the exact same thing as a Retrode + PC.
>>
>>3890908
I just realized this was unclear. By otherwise I meant playing ROMs on real hardware.
>>
File: 1413324434102.png (128KB, 648x4800px) Image search: [Google]
1413324434102.png
128KB, 648x4800px
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.