[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TV/Movie themed games. This trope was very common among western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

TV/Movie themed games. This trope was very common among western platformers, and I can't understand why, as I can't stand it. I mean, I can understand one or two games, but we had plenty

I recall the 3 Gex games, the two Bug!, Garfield Caught in The Act and Conker.
Actually I'm playing Gex 2 almost 20 years after I first played it, and it's awful.
>>
File: 1481675459235.jpg (359KB, 1234x1127px) Image search: [Google]
1481675459235.jpg
359KB, 1234x1127px
>>3886126
>Actually I'm playing Gex 2 almost 20 years
There's you problem.
These games were pop culture games tailored to cool kids who get to watch R-rated movies with their parents.

Basically using memes fro famous films to get the player to say "lol I know what that's from!"
It was a way to market games by getting players to identify with developers based on movies they'd seen.

Of course time has not been kind. You're an adult now. Those cheap little meme themes don't activate your almonds anymore.
>>
Smash TV.
>>
>>3886215
Yeah, but I'm talking about the gameplay and the fuckin awful camera. Gex 2 just sucks.

>Those cheap little meme themes don't activate your almonds anymore.
Oh,this and a comment I did about 1 month ago gave me ideas. Wait for it.
>>
File: spot goes to.jpg (79KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
spot goes to.jpg
79KB, 640x630px
>>
Home Improvement on Snes
>>
>>3886126
>Actually I'm playing Gex 2 almost 20 years after I first played it, and it's awful.
It sounds like you're awful. I recommend that game to anyone.
>>
My guess is that Disney in the 90s loved stuffing their movies with pop culture references, and this trope bled out into kid-oriented video games.
>>
>>3886126
>and I can't understand why,
it was an easy and lazy way to come up with a bunch of different environments for a game. You don't need a cohesive game world when you can do "Western Level" "Alien Level" "Horror Level" and "Dinosaur Level."
>>
File: rockin-cats.jpg (209KB, 800x1116px) Image search: [Google]
rockin-cats.jpg
209KB, 800x1116px
>>3886126
Eh, there's worse excuses for variety. I'm quite fond of pic related
>>
>>3886821
Gex 3 is decent, Gex 2 is pure crap. Still haven't played the very first Gex, but I'm downloading it now.

>>3886986
Yeah, I realized it. It's like western fighting games and the "time travel" trope. An easy way to reunite distinct characters.
Eternal Champions, Savage Warriors, Time Killers, Time Slaughter, Time Warriors... all crap, at least three have a Caveman with a dumb name.

Although such tropes were both in east and western games, western developers seem more lazy than the grorious nippon ones.
>>
>>3886126

I legit fucking love Gex 2 and 3 to death. Should probably play 1 sometime. I'm hard pressed to recall anything not already mentioned in the thread, except Ape Escape 3, but that's not a /vr/ game; first one is, but doesn't have the TV theme
>>
>>3887482
gex 3 is watered down gex 2; cmon man- tell us how you really feel.

>>3887497
Ape Escape 3 WAS MOTHER FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Let's make this a thread for overused and tired tropes besides "TV World".

>>3888443
Gex 3 controls better and had a better camera. Also, the N64 Gex 3 was good, while the N64 Gex 2 port was atrocious.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.