[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never played a final fantasy game. Where should I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

I have never played a final fantasy game.

Where should I start? Was thinking VI or VII. I liked Chrono Trigger.

Or should I play a different JRPG instead?

I'm emulating so it can be anything up to the PS1.
>>
>>3885316
Play VII, there's a reason it sold 10 million
>>
7 is great. Have you played many other jrpgs?
>>
>>3885316
7 MIGHT turm you off of jrpgs. It depends how "impressed" you are with it. Ff2 is a good starting point.
>>
I hear VI is a solid entry as well.
>>
Play IV first if you're thinking of playing the whole series

Otherwise play VI or VII
>>
File: 1390432948487.jpg (107KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1390432948487.jpg
107KB, 625x626px
>>3885348
>Ff2 is a good starting point.
>>
Also try secret of mana and breath of fire
>>
File: FF4 by Takeshi Obata.jpg (59KB, 376x588px) Image search: [Google]
FF4 by Takeshi Obata.jpg
59KB, 376x588px
>>3885316
Start with IV then work your way up. Also play Tactics.
>>
Play what ever, who really cares.
>>
Play the Origins (PS1) version of FF1
>>
I would recommend VII.

I've got one really big piece of advice though. Set the ATB system to active, and increase the battle speed in the options. If you play with the default settings that the game literally tells you to use if you're a beginner, then you're playing in a way that is frankly pretty boring. Default is basically just "pick your attack" when it's your turn.

Setting the ATB system to active basically means there's gameplay stuff going on even during attack animations, which keeps things very, well, active. Increasing the battle speed is just my recommendation to keep battles interesting and challenging. Toggle the speed around until you hit the point that feels most fun to you, higher speed basically means enemies will attack more frequently while you're choosing what move to make next.

There's more to the battle system than that but you can learn about all that stuff in the game itself. I'm just telling you all this since the first time I played VII I did so with the recommended settings and thought it was really boring. A few years later I decide to give the game another shot and make the above changes, now it's one of my favorite games.

All of the above applies to 4-6 as well, they run on basically the same battle system. But even on max battle speed the fights in those games run slower than 7 on like 2/3s max speed.
>>
>>3885424
Setting the battle speed to max just slows down the Playstation FF games by giving the enemy more turns and forcing you to wait for their slow animations to complete. While this is far more noticable in 9, it applies to 7 and 8 as well.

I used to think that max speed was the logical choice to increase the pace of the game, but it really was clearly never tested like that and it plays worse as a result.
>>
VII is fun and a good starter RPG especially for turn based games another good starter is Legend of Dragoon but thats for RPG's in general and not for final fantasy specifically
>>
File: reiko_level_up_hax.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
reiko_level_up_hax.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>3885348
7 turned me off JRPGs
And I played the fuck out of FF 1,4,5,6, FFL1, FFL2, and Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3885316
I'm going to be pretty honest with you: Final Fantasy VI is a good ride for the first time, but it really cannot hold itself as a good game.
Final Fantasy VII is just boring, people only like it due to nostalgia.
I recommend you go play another series, instead.
If you really want to play a Final Fantasy game then just play FF8. It is a better ride than FF6 and has the best """villain""" of the series.
>>
File: IMG_5612.jpg (32KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5612.jpg
32KB, 600x576px
>>3885685
>>
>>3885316
7 is overhyped edgelord cancer. Play 6 instead.
>>
VI and VII are both great. Both games have missable characters and items if you aren't diligent, fyi. FFX is also a good entry point to the series if you want to play one with a modern feel.

Enjoy!
>>
File: 1252718635743.jpg (112KB, 600x838px) Image search: [Google]
1252718635743.jpg
112KB, 600x838px
>>3885316
FFI, NES version.
Get to know the series in it's most competitive form.
It's a nice short playthrough, with some challenging areas.

Once you get a feel for what the game started out as, play FFIX, which is basically FFI at its highest potential and better difficulty scaling.
If you really liked the medieval settings of the two, you should probably aim to play the sprite games over FFVII and VIII.

Or, if you're just looking for some lighter difficulty, lots of customization, nice little story and dialog touches, and characters with personality... Go FFVII.
The cool shit you can do with materia and whatnot make the game almost like playing an action cyberpunk(makopunk) version of MTG.
>>
>>3886092
This is the easiest way to spot those who haven't played FFVII but probably watched advent children or some shit like that

also kys yourself fucking snowflake for thinking FF6 is the true patrician choice like a wannabe retard. FF5 is.
>>
>>3886123
How short are we talking for FF1?
>>
File: Untitled(2).png (960KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled(2).png
960KB, 1366x768px
>>3886092
>7 is overhyped edgelord cancer.
>Play this other overhyped edgelord cancer instead
>>
>>3886123
>play this tedious grinding game
>play the same thing only slower

Only sane choices are FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, and FF7 is the correct one for somebody new to FF games.
>>
File: sorcerer.png (8KB, 151x136px) Image search: [Google]
sorcerer.png
8KB, 151x136px
>>3886174
Not too hard to go through in 8-12 hours.
The faster you go obviously the harder it gets.
And there are dungeons and caves that can and will fuck you in the ass, even at higher levels, if you don't plan accordingly.
Namely the Ice cave.
Three serious dangers here.
1. Getting in a battle with 9 undead enemies that can stun on hit and hit pretty hard. Without a white mage and possibly a black mage you may run into trouble.
2. Ice dragons. They love to spam the shit out of you with some kinda blizzard attack that hits hard on everyone.
3. But by far your greatest threat is a team of 3 or more Sorcerers, who can paralyze the entire party in one shot, and spam physical attacks on you that are on-hit kills. Needless to say, you get three party members paralyzed and they start hitting you with physicals, it's pretty much a game over. The thing is, Pro-rings protect against these one-hit kill attacks but you can't get them until crawling through the cave and completing it in the first place.

To make matters even friendlier, there's lots of goodies to plunder in there, meaning lots of walking and ambushes.

It's a real thrill walking out of the dank shithole with your prize however.
>>
>>3886189
Grinding is to JRPGs what they're known for.
You don't have to grind much. Biggest slowdown is right before the marsh cave. Grinding for cash to buy silver weapons and decent spells.

Want a faster game? Play Zelda.
>>
>>3886196
>Want a faster game? Play Zelda.
or play FF7 like any normal person would
>>
File: 1481997090230.png (248KB, 308x595px) Image search: [Google]
1481997090230.png
248KB, 308x595px
>>3885316
Sephiroth kills Aeris.
>>
>>3886189
>Only sane choices are FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, and FF7 is the correct one for somebody new to FF games.

OP liked chrono trigger so those have the highest chances of hitting that spot. A

I say try FF7 OP. It's the most simple to digest, balanced in all points just like CT. People that like CT usually like FF7 and are "normies".

My 2 cents about the rest:
-FF5 hardest combat, you will see game over screen a lot. Audiovisuals aged like shit. Characters forgettable. Uses death of each character every one hour to push story forward, kind of like Hokuto no ken. Yup, you play this game for challenge.

-FF6 Ok characters/story, shitty narration pace. If 1000+ unskippable combats is your thing, give it a try. 4chan/etc will praise this game, becouse it's usually americans first JRPG and seeing childhood in rose glasses. Try to avoid any thread with it.

-FF8 - least combat centered game - you can just focus on bosses/story like in CT and run from most encounters. There is even option for shutting encounters off completely 10-15 hours in game.
>>
>>3885338
>there's a reason it sold 10 million
Well since basically at least 3 million were on the day, it sure as fucking wasn't because people enjoyed it.

It had a shit ton of preorders as well. The reason it sold well is because it was 3 years since the last one which was good and on a new hyped system and with CGI that was novelty for the era, and on a system that was selling like hotcakes with more gamers than ever.

Has nothing to do with the game itself.

This is also /vr/ so you should already know that sales don't mean jack shit. Making a statement like it does shows that you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>3885358
FF2 is a good game, one of the only games where evasion actually works correctly. But the game is a grind fest especially if you want Ultima to be worth a damn.
>>
>>3887005
It's also basically SaGa Zero, and if one likes it they should play the SaGa games on gameboy, and SaGa Frontier on PS1.
>>
>>3887040
And Romancing SaGa 2 on phone and Romancing SaGa 3 on an emulator and Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song on the PS2
>>
>>3886182

Ff6 is like melanoma and ff7 is like lymphoma. You just can't win
>>
>>3886960
>characters forgettable.
Don't ever talk shit about my guy Galuf again.
Also
>aged
>>
File: 14867408421238.gif (3MB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
14867408421238.gif
3MB, 420x315px
>>3887056
>And Romancing SaGa 2 on phone

I get why you might recommend it, but nah man, nah.
>>
>>3887056
You mena RS2 on emulator
>>
>>3890407
You mean RS2 on a Super Famicom.
>>
>>3890414
Why play outdated versions?
>>
>>3885316
Play the SNES ones first, then the NES ones, then the PSX ones, then the Tatics ones, then Mystic Quest, then fuck all the others games
>>
>>3890846
>NES
NES FF have nothing to do with chrono trigger in terms of... anything
>>
Honestly.

Pop in FF1 on NES for a bit, try it, if you don't like it, move on to 7.

If you liked 7, you can try 8, If you didn't like 7, try 5, well try 5 regardless I think.

Those are my top picks. 1 5 and 7. My favorites are 2,3, 5 and 8, but thats cause I like teh customization.
>>
File: sp.png (275KB, 345x345px) Image search: [Google]
sp.png
275KB, 345x345px
Man, I'm glad I got out of modern games. Apparently even single player games now have subscription fees. You can't make this shit up.
>>
Do yourself a favor, and only play the odd-numbered Final Fantasy games.
>>
>>3890982
I'd hardly call it a subscription. It's more of a "give me more money for stuff we would have put in the game to start with before season passes became normalcy" kind of thing.
>>
>>3890919
.....and ?
>>
>>3891172
OP liked CT. This isn't : game recomendations for autistics: the thread.

If anything highest chances are OP would like PSX FF's, becouse they have the most in common with CT. Yes, PSX, not NES or even SNES, the platform CT was on.

But ofcourse people will flop their dick/ego around without even reading what OP likes.
>>
>>3891194
>>3885316

OP, if you want your game to be similar to chrono trigger, play FF7. If you liked no-combat, only bosses aspect of CT, play FF8. Then, play FF9 - chances are you will be driven away becouse of it's peculiar style, it's quite "gay" and less 90's "cool".

You can always try SNES FF if you can endure longer dungeons, lots of fights with enemies that are literally static pictures. FF5 is hard, but actually has interesting combat. FF4,6 are easy, but even more repetetive.

Don't go for NES rpgs. They don't have any story or character depth. They cater to different needs- longer dungeons, fighting the same fights to have enough level to beat any boss. Keep in mind that some people wouldn't call FF7-FF9 and Chrono Trigger true JRPGS becouse of those needs- those people prefer dragon quest or something else.
>>
>>3891325
>OP, if you want your game to be similar to chrono trigger, play FF7.

dude "the game most similar to Chrono Trigger" is literally Final Fantasy 6.
>>
V to IX are the only good ones. The first three have aged terribly, and the fourth has an awful story where you literally go from edgelord to fuccboi, then travel to the core of the planet to find a submarine that can FLY YOU TO THE MOON, where you find out that fuccboi and the perceived main villain are actually brothers and also MOON MEN, and then you fight hate incarnate. The end.

V is the best gameplay and character progression wise, but you can't go wrong with any of the post-IV retro games.
>>
>>3891449
>dude "the game most similar to Chrono Trigger" is literally Final Fantasy 6.
Not really. Narration pace is completely different. FF6 is more sluggish. FF7 throws you right into the action and rarely slows down, akin to CT.

>>3891473
>V to IX are the only good ones. The first three have aged terribly, and the fourth has an awful story where you literally go from edgelord to fuccboi, then travel to the core of the planet to find a submarine that can FLY YOU TO THE MOON, where you find out that fuccboi and the perceived main villain are actually brothers and also MOON MEN, and then you fight hate incarnate. The end.
I agree.

>V is the best gameplay and character progression wise, but you can't go wrong with any of the post-IV retro games.

>character progression wise
There is no character progression whatsoever. It's a good game, but characters are of puddle-level depth. If being strong and dying for the team and being an hero is the perfect character for you, then ok. Galuf is the only noteworthy main character, so not only no character progression- lack character charm is another problem created by FF5.
>>
>>3892730
Character progression as in Job mechanics.
>>
>>3892730
chrono trigger also has pretty decent combat and some nice setups, and far better music. FF6 is one of the weakest in the series.
>>
>>3892735
>Character progression as in Job mechanics.
Oh ok. Then I agree.

>>3892753
>nice setups
Huh? What do you mean by that?
>FF6 is one of the weakest in the series.
Yeah, I think only americans hyped this. Probably has to do with marketing, first known JRPG in USA probably. I'm living in Poland and becouse there was no SNES in my country, people played it much later on emulators. I don't recall anybody who would play FF6 with friends, it was always chrono trigger. I think it's better test of time to quality of product, when later population have access to majority of the library and simply choose the game they like the most for free.
>>
>>3892730
5 doesn't spend a lot of time discussing the main characters in the main story. What's there is found in optional scenes and NPC dialogue. I honestly prefer this minimal approach that leaves plenty to your imagination over being barraged with character drama in every playthrough.
>>
File: 8b5.jpg (31KB, 680x456px) Image search: [Google]
8b5.jpg
31KB, 680x456px
>>3892790
>5 doesn't spend a lot of time discussing the main characters in the main story. What's there is found in optional scenes and NPC dialogue. I honestly prefer this minimal approach that leaves plenty to your imagination

I agree. But there is a slim difference between leaving something to your imagination, and leaving you with nothing.
**trap, doll, dad jokes, and blank MC for a party**
There are games that do this better, but I won't get into that.
>over being barraged with character drama
FF5 replaced character drama with cheap drama
>>
>>3885338

>10 million fucking retards can't be wrong

Please play IV or VI or even IX over the garbage that is VII
>>
>>3893736
IV is the most overrated nostalgia goggles game with bar none the worst story of the entire series. I mean, people shit on VIII for the "orphanage twist" yet give a free pass to "fake deaths journey to the moon whale: the game" is just pure fucking hypocrisy.
>>
>>3893752
Both of those plots were pure garbage.
>>
>>3886985
Dude if you were playing video games in the late 90s you knew FF7 was huge. Everyone loved it and gaming mags were giving it near perfect scores.

Are you seriously trying to make the argument that FF7's success was based on preorders/launch sales and that most people didn't actually enjoy it? That's revisionist history if I've ever seen it.
>>
Play whatever you want but don't overlook Tactics. Even though most would consider it outside the normal series, it is one of my all-time favorite games.
>>
>>3886985
>Well since basically at least 3 million were on the day, it sure as fucking wasn't because people enjoyed it.

So where did the other 7 million come from?
>>
If you only play one ff, make it ff9. Maximum comfiness.

Try suikoden 1 and 2, lunar, grandia

Also check out this site for awesome reviews of snes rpgs

http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/snesbs-x.html
>>
>>3891449
The game most similar would probably be Dark Law.
>>
>>3885396
Not op, but I just finished FF I and was thinking of starting either IV, V or VI.
Any specific reasons?
>>
>>3886193
I disagree.
FFI can be very easy if you choose your part right, and you easily can over level in it.
>>
>>3894875
You finished FF I and you like?
V
becouse it's the only one that will challenge you
if you no like FF I:
play 4 and 6 simultaneously, continue playing the one that catches your heart after 2 hours. They were both average as of my opinion.
>>
>>3893736
>IX over the garbage that is VII
That's funny considering I feel IX is the worst of the PS1 trilogy anon
>>
Five, six and nine, maybe seven as well, after those others.
>>
>>3894534
This guy gets it.
>>
>>3895579
8 is Dawson's Creek with dinosaurs
>>
>>3896281
9 is Disney Furry's Magical Adventures with the worst combat ever seen in a JRPG.
>>
File: ffix.jpg (37KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
ffix.jpg
37KB, 460x215px
>>3885316
Final Fantasy IX
classical and excellent
>inb4 haters
fuck haters
>>
>>3895579
that was the opinion back in the days
it looks like it aged the best, over the years i saw the opinions on the internet steadly improving year by year
>>
I liked FFVI and FFVII equally. PS1 FFI was also great, but I'm fed up with arguing with people who think it's the same as the GBA/PSP/mobile ports.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.