[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult was it to program a game for the Net Yaroze?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: the_net_yaroze_system.gif[1].jpg (163KB, 389x260px) Image search: [Google]
the_net_yaroze_system.gif[1].jpg
163KB, 389x260px
How difficult was it to program a game for the Net Yaroze?

Could an amateur have ordered the system and made any progress without needing to take programming classes?
>>
>>3884003
IRC it supported C so as long as you had it's technical limitations in mind it should've been pretty straightforward.
>>
>>3884003
Impossible. If you're serious about it, here's what you do:

First, get a standard calculus text and dive in. You should also get linear algebra and discrete math books as well; make sure the discrete text is proof based.

Once you're a couple chapters in to your discrete book (you will want to have covered basic proposition and higher order logic, and basic proofs), you may begin learning programming and computer architecture. As a litmus test, if you don't know what this statement is

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P))-->∀n(n∈P))

you aren't ready to take the reins of a computer.

Now, forget what you do know about computer programming:

First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

By this time you should be finished with your calculus (up to advanced integration techniques and vector basics), discrete, and linear algebra, and are ready for the next wave of math: abstract algebra, analysis, multivariate and vector calculus, and, after you have progressed a way in those, topology.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.
>>
>>3884061
for that post +10 internet points to you sir.

Also OP after you do all that make sure the game is good :o)
>>
>>3884003
Did any notable homebrew titles come out of devoloping using this piece of hardware
>>
>>3884061
tl;dr
Become a wizard
>>
>>3884071
Devil Dice.
>>
>>3884061
Seems it would just be easier to get rich and pay someone else to do it.
>>
>>3884061
>then, and only then, you learn assembly language

I'm learning 6502 assembly without having learnt any of the above.

Fuck the system.
>>
>>3884095
I'll be honest, while his approach is very real, it's very impractical. This is not how classes are taught, let alone how most people learn.

Kudos to anyone who follows that line though, they'll have a very solid core to work with.
>>
>>3884119
6502 gives a great groundwork for understanding the tricks of assembly though, especially if you've only dealt with hyper-abstract meme languages we have today.
I have a friend that went 6502 > C > 65c816 and still has yet to release anything to nes/snes even though it's his plan.
Although you know a language, you still need motivation and you must understand theory too
>>
>>3884061
Literally autism. Just do this:
>Watch those online MIT/Harvard lectures on linear algebra, calc, discrete math, probability
>Read The C Programming Language
>From there do online research into other languages: C++, C#, Python, whatever else interests you
>Do some coding projects, especially with other people that you can learn from
>Once you have a few tiny projects under your belt, make video games
>Build this all into a portfolio, get a junior programming position and rake in serious dosh
>>
>>3885792
That's almost exactly what the other anon told him dumb ass
>>
>>3884071
Not quite the same but Mitsuru Kamiyama, director of the Crystal Chronicles series, got started making stuff on Net Yaroze.
>>
>>3884061
Nah

College students made Yaroze games and they didn't know all that shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.